Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 341 to 360 of 2,057

MrGawain

I have a theory I thought might be of interest.

As we know, the New Donk City of the game is a sort of more realistic reimagining of the original Donkey Kong game. What if ALL the levels are like this? The Egypt level could be like Sarasa Land in The Gameboy game, the forest level with the Dinosaurs may be a call back to Super Mario World with Yoshi and the other Dinosaurs in that game, and the Mexican level might be related to the American SMB2 (that's a little tenuous I'll admit). There's even a line in the song about going to the moon which seems it could be implying a Mario Galaxy level. With all the costumes you can wear from the older games, it would make sense that the game is a love letter to Maria's past.

Make sense? Or just out there?

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Nicolai

@MrGawain I've had a vague feeling something like this was happening. That wonderfully cohesive theory ties it together really well. But isn't the Mexican level and the Desert level the same, though? And what about the food level and the forest level? The Forest level reminds me of a part of Super Mario Land 2, I guess. But there is definitely an old-fashioned, classical vibe I get from New Donk and Dinosaur Land.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@Meowpheel Dino Land is part of the Cascade Kingdom, the forest is the Wooded Kingdom. They're separate levels.

Octane

veeflames
Forget I'll Be Your 1-Up Girl (amazing song, lemme not lie), this song's the jam. So catchy! I think I'll be going to the Wooded Kingdom just to listen to this song.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Meowpheel There was a T-Rex in the forest as well.

What? Why would they use something like that twice?

I did think the dinosaur land was a different stage though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

zionich

Lol. Just saw Super Mario Odyssey at Exxon's gastv at the pump !

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Octane

@Dezzy No idea. It felt a bit out of place TBH. They probably reused the T-Rex, because they thought we would like that. Maybe he's involved in a mission and you need to get him back to dino land. There was an out-of-place looking sphinx statue in the woods too.

Octane

veeflames

@Octane @Dezzy For what it's worth, in the forest stage (Wooded Kingdom), the dinosaur was in the "secret area" of the level. Not in the main area.
The secret area's a dense forest with pretty tall trees, too. So yeah, even if the Wooded Kingdom's not the dinosaur's native habitat, I'm not too sure it's that out of place. Maybe it is, and we have to bring it back to the Dinosaur Land. Good luck to us in advance, if that's the case.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Dezzy

Has anyone figured anything out about that black and white-ish level in the trailer?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

chriiiiiiiiiis

@Dezzy I think they said it's like a hat kingdom were we meet Cappy. So it might be the very first kingdom we are introduced to.

chriiiiiiiiiis

smooth4lyfe

This game looks amazing!
Its pretty much Super Mario 64 on Switch with new features...I'm getting it Day 1 for sure!
Shoot, I love the theme song too "Jump Up, Super Star!" Its the first Mario game with vocal music actually.
Its so good I did a remix to it lol check the sig if your interested

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY - Jump Up, Super Star! (S4L Adlibs Remix)
https://youtu.be/Jfs32KxuAsk

meleebrawler

With every console generation, the new 3D Mario game seems to set a musical trend that all other spin-offs tend to follow. Sunshine led to a bevy of Mario sports titles using steel drums, 3D Land made jazz the new in-thing, particularly for Sticker Star and Color Splash, and Galaxy was limited, but still made it's mark with the NSMBWii Bowser fight (64 is the exception, since it doesn't really have a musical genre in particular). Will Odyssey do the same?

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Maxz

@meleebrawler It's hard to know what Odyssey's musical style is yet, though.

I mean, the main theme is a kind of jazzy Broadway-musical-esque number, but then you've got that surf-guitar piece from the woodland world (and even that has some very non-surf-music touches), and obviously the Mexican worlds have got a more Mexican flavoured soundtrack and... well, I wonder how easy it will be to classify Odyssey's soundtrack at all, what with all the geographical and musical ground it covers.

When you've got a theme as broad as 'jet-setting', it's hard to know how to neatly summarise its music. It might well have the most diverse soundtrack in Mario history.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

rk3388

Interesting theory- but many people think there may be multiple areas for each "Kingdom". When someone asked a Nintendo employee if New Donk City is the Hub world, they said "NDC is part of the Metro Kingdom". I would love if there were other city themed levels other than New York!

rk3388

Eel

I like how Metro Kindom is such a direct reference to Donkey Kong. Even the name itself is a nice little reference.

While "Metro" is likely a reference to the city being a Metropolis, the word also means meter/metre in multiple languages, and that's how the original DK game named its levels, in meters.

And the city area you play in is several meters above ground level, which explains why you could go so high up in the original game.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic