Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 2,057

gcunit

Yeh, that volleyball mini-game really bites, just found it today - it's so tedious, it seems to take about 5 minutes just to get to 30. Not sure when I'll bother pursuing that one any further.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ogo79

Octane wrote:

Can I send my Switch + game to one of you, so that you can complete all those stupid mini games for me? I pay in ogocoins.

Ralizah wrote:

@Octane I googled "ogocoins" and came up with search results for some weird 5 month old domain names. Explain yourself.

Octane wrote:

@Ralizah Ask @ogo79

@Ralizah it more than likely means yer not going to get payed much for yer efforts thus ending in getting ripped off.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah also the final bound bowl race. The gold one. Not a chance. Came in second but only after dozens of retires and intense physical hand pain. Races and such cause me to grip controllers until they stress creak...

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I just completed the bound bowl races today. The normal ones and then the longer hidden ones.

I hate those purple coins, though. I'm missing three in New Donk City and, for the life of me, I can't find out where they are. Also having a difficult time finding a bunch of moons in the Sand Kingdom...

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah mrrgrrgrr.... I got all bound bowls but the last long one. It's infuriating. So close, once, and then never again.

Really annoying moon? Diving from the big pot. It shouldn't be hard but the camera makes it hard, and hard to figure out what youre supposed to do. I got it in half an hour or so but having to warp and carefully line up over and over for a largely blind jump is just frustrating and i want even sure i was doing the right thing.

I'm missing 1 to 3 coins in most kingdoms. I got lost, post game, ndc, lunch, lake, cascade all purple coins but all others are missing 1-3 I'll never find.

Yeah sand kingdom was strangely hard to find all the moons considering it's near the beginning of the game. I bought a lot of toad hints.

Up to 807 moons. Most of the remaining ones are ones like jumprope i know i won't be doing.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Octane

@Ralizah There were a few in the starting area behind a ledge which I missed. I think... The last three were tricky.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah rarely has a video game ever made be so openly angry as that bottom level games bullet bill thing. I have not made those jumps successfully once. Lost 2000+ coins trying. Actually screaming unpolite things at the screen. Giving up forever on that one.

Edit: the scooterless scooter run, too. All of it. I only get half way up the second section using every boost i can think of

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia So you died 200+ times, huh? Well, it's not like anyone could ever say you didn't try. That moon can be a bit tricky. You absolutely need to have perfect timing on those platforms.

For the scooterless scooter one (lol), the triple jump is your friend for sections that involve scaling platforms. For longer flat sections, try combining long jumps with rolling. So, if there's a ledge and then a stretch of space you could triple jump up to it, long jump and then, without losing momentum, transition into a roll. Of course, you want to mash the boost button while you're rolling. It can be tricky to get the rhythm down. A lot of this game's platforming involves managing Mario's momentum.

I gotta say, I love the way Mario controls in this game. If they took out the BS motion gesture stuff, it'd be absolutely perfect.

Edited on by Ralizah

Swordsman83

NEStalgia wrote:

@Ralizah rarely has a video game ever made be so openly angry as that bottom level games bullet bill thing. I have not made those jumps successfully once. Lost 2000+ coins trying. Actually screaming unpolite things at the screen. Giving up forever on that one.

Edit: the scooterless scooter run, too. All of it. I only get half way up the second section using every boost i can think of

althought this is 1 of the must get titles for switch, im not getting because im very poor in platforming jumping.. i will get more frustration than enjoyment out of this.

Currently Owned Switch Games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveller.

Ralizah

@Swordsman83 The core story related moons are really easy, though. There's not a huge amount of actual platforming required to complete the game.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah between those sections I've died a few hundred times more than that. Back to 9999 after the final stage attempts again though. Only good part about it, you make money by dying

I admit i played 64 on pc with a Logitech pad the first time (bought ds version to play on 3ds afterwards)... But it was never worse than this for jumps to me. Yeah the sloppy camera was frustrating beyond equal though. Can't fault it though, it was the first game with a movable camera at all...

But yeah that bullet and scooter trail aren't going to happen in afraid. I did get both moons from the invisible platform piranhas though.

I may give up the last level too. I know i can do it, it's not that hard, and I'm near the end, but it's Soo frustrating doing the whole first part over and over only to die in the pokio segment on 5 seconds and have to start over.

@Swordsman83 nah the platforming is solid.... Were talking about the very very final post game stuff that's supposed to be excessively punishing. These in particular deny you the use of cappy....a key part of your move set. It would be like playing smash with a broken y button.... Only the game EXPECTS This. These levels are pretty much Mario Souls. Only absolute perfection works. Most players probably will never see them. You need, what 550 moons or so just to open it.... And then you need to finish another brutal gauntlet for these to appear.

Jump rope in the other hand is plain broken and is normal content

NEStalgia

Swordsman83

@NEStalgia

if i play just to clear story mode, its normal or "easy" but if i want to 100%, near impossible for me as my platforming/jumping is poorer than most people ?

Edited on by Swordsman83

Currently Owned Switch Games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveller.

GoldenGamer88

@NEStalgia Yeah that Pokio section is the WORST. I loved that thing in Bowser's Kingdom but I definitely died the most in that little section. It was definitely the controls. Wanted to correct my direction during a fall, press the poke button and poke into nothing, falling to my doom.

As for the scooterless scooter section, I watched a successful run of it online. First section, roll and long jump, that's fairly easy. Second section is the hardest imo as it relies on perfectly landed triple jumps for the first part and a combination of that and rolling/long jumps in the second. Third section, a combination of everything. Roll and long jumps are your friends provided and you hit a ledge while long jumping. Be not afraid of turning back and run back if you feel unsure about your chances at success.

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

chardir

@Swordsman83 I'd say you can achieve about 95% with just exploration and no precision platforming. There's also an optional 'assist mode' where you get three extra life points and it saves you from falling (falling costs one life point rather than sending you back to the start).

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

Scrummer

Don't tell anyone, but I only completed the darker side because I used assist mode.

Edited on by Scrummer

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

chardir

@Scrummer My kids are playing the entire game in assist mode and they love it. I think it's one of the best designed 'easy' modes ever. All of the game is still there, but most of the frustrations are removed (except jump-rope ).

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

NEStalgia

@Swordsman83 There's an in between. I virtually never 100% any game ever. Almost every game contains either something beyond my skill, or that I just can't find, or that's simply too frustrating/poorly thought out and I'm not interested in burning out on the frustration because I buy games to have fun not to experience frustration. But the story represents only a portion of everything in the game. There's a whole lot more beyond story completion in terms of finding moons and coins, where maybe the last 10% or less starts hitting that truly challenging part you'd maybe not complete.

"100%" has become a weird compulsive thing in the gaming world. In the old days it was never expected players would even see the end credits to most games to the point that the later levels were often cheap, thrown together, and all out broken because they basically stopped developing it there. Later challenges in games are largely meant as just that: something to offer additional challenges up to stratospheric levels to give advanced players something possibly entering the absurd to continue to play with after the primary content is done that still provides rewards if they manage to pull it off. I liken 100% ing a single player game like mario to shooting for being in the top 20 in the Splatoon leader boards. An extreme challenge for the best and most devoted, not part of the game you really have to complete to enjoy the game completely.

@Scrummer I don't even consider that a cheat. Some people love their punishing challenges, and Dark Souls is coming.... and the whole point of the level is that it's a gauntlet to endure. But IMO without checkpoints it's not really a "challenge" but attrition and a test of patience. Japanese are taught patience as a part of culture from birth. I'm American. I gave it 5 minutes, time to move on. I hate when things have no checkpoints. I've proven hundreds of times I can repeatedly and consistently complete the whole first half...doing the same thing again simply is a test of attrition until I get sloppy, it's not offering me a new challenge. I want to get to the next ACTUAL challenge in the course, but I spend 10 minutes doing old things for every minute doing new things. It's not as frustrating as that *(%#$@ bullet bill level though where I jump-jump-die over and over and over and over in less than 5 seconds a shot. I might not even mind so much but a few spots there are simply frustrating. Getting across the metal "waves" is just rhythm breaking every time. Easy, but frustrating to keep repeating. And then the energy ring section causes undue frustration to keep repeating. And the forks....getting the hat lined up right for them consistently just isn't going to happen. I can keep succeeding at all of it, but it gets frustrating to redo constantly.

@GoldenGamer88 Yeah the first section I have no issue with. It's that second section I get MAYBE half way up before the platform disappears. Meaning I have to DOUBLE my speed....and any time I try I faceplant on a ledge.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia That's pretty antiquated design, though. Almost all modern games are now designed to be played through to the end credits. They funnel the player through a sequence of events as opposed to challenging them at every turn. Not finishing a game now is sort of like not finishing a book.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Oh, absolutely. It's those post-game challenges for "100%ers" that represent that part of the old design now.

NEStalgia

Tobiaku

Love the game, easily my favorite Mario game. Finaly got enough coins to buy the skellton costume.

Thou there is is this really weird moon in the Wood kingdom I had to look up. Wonder how Nintendo i tended people to find that one.

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic