Forums

Topic: Mario Strikers Battle League

Posts 141 to 160 of 207

Grumblevolcano

@Pizzamorg From what I gathered in the demo, the single player content is you can play normal matches against the CPU and there's tourneys (Cup Battles). I will say its weird that Nintendo haven't mentioned about Cup Battles at all in the promo cycle so far and the game is 5 days away.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SmaggTheSmug

Welp, I ended up not playing a single real match. But as I understand it was online only and I am more interested in couch play. So what I got to experience was an overly long tutorial. Sorry but I think there's something wrong with a Mario game if it needs like a 20 part tutorial.

Edited on by SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug

Twitter:

sisodinr

@SmaggTheSmug
Fair take. But there's also potentially more in the tutorial than necessary to just hop in and play. It seems intended to be a high-skill-ceiling game, appealing to a core audience of people interested in these games. I doubt it'll be as easy to jump into as a Mario Party game, and I dont think Nintendo will be trying to market it like that either.

sisodinr

Pizzamorg

SmaggTheSmug wrote:

Welp, I ended up not playing a single real match. But as I understand it was online only and I am more interested in couch play. So what I got to experience was an overly long tutorial. Sorry but I think there's something wrong with a Mario game if it needs like a 20 part tutorial.

Yeah, I really wanted to get into a match to see how much of it was just a bad tutorial, or whether it is really is that complicated and difficult to play, but the online just didn't work for me.

I thought demos were meant to increase excitement, but instead they made me worried I had made a horrible mistake in preordering. I was thinking about cancelling, but wanted to wait for the demo against other players first. Then I couldn't get into a game and now Nintendo have put in a claim for the money, so I think it is too late.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Pizzamorg From what I gathered in the demo, the single player content is you can play normal matches against the CPU and there's tourneys (Cup Battles). I will say its weird that Nintendo haven't mentioned about Cup Battles at all in the promo cycle so far and the game is 5 days away.

This is good news - or maybe not if they aren't saying anything about it? I hope it doesn't come in parts like Halo Infinite.

I guess the bigger question though, is can I play through the tourneys against CPU to upgrade my characters? Or will progression be locked behind online play like in Switch Sports?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

sisodinr

Pizzamorg wrote:

I guess the bigger question though, is can I play through the tourneys against CPU to upgrade my characters? Or will progression be locked behind online play like in Switch Sports?

This has to be the case. The gears system requires coins to buy new gear for characters. I couldn't see Nintendo being absolutely draconian in that you MUST play online games and win online games in order to get coins to unlock gear that can help your players online. The only possibility for that I can imagine would be to reward coins just for participating in online matches similar to Splatoon (assuming you ink any ground and/or win), but unlike Splatoon, this game seems like it will have a threshold for scoring any points at all online (assuming points can be earned online).

Lots still to learn, and I REALLY just want reviews soon.

sisodinr

meleehunter

@sisodinr I'm pretty sure the in-game manual says you do earn coins in cup battles. In fact, they're probably the biggest source of income short of season winnings. You can actually pay coins to get a "revenge match" (a continue really) after getting eliminated, unlimited times but the cost goes up each time.

In the end, we're all we got.

My Nintendo: meleehunter

sisodinr

I was very much all in on this game when I first saw the trailer, my enthusiasm waned slightly when more information came out, and I'm a bit less enthused after playing the demo. For me, much it came down to controls. So I imagine it will get easier the more I get used to it, but I really hope there's a button mapping option. It's still a likely day one purchase for me, but good reviews will help get me over the line.

sisodinr

StarPoint

@sisodinr I really hope for button mapping as well. The controls feel slightly off to me. I'll probably get used to them eventually, but it would be nice to have the option.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

meleehunter

@sisodinr To be honest, you could probably just go back to reviews of Super Mario Strikers and you'd pretty much get the gist of what people will likely say about this one, give or take anecdotal wi-fi experiences and/or some people jumping on the gradual updates hate bandwagon for those precious few extra clicks.

Fizza

So after the reading the NLife review, I got curious about the soundtrack since they said it was incredible so I went onto Youtube to listen to it (don't tell a soul) and OH. MY. **********. GOD.

There's some ones that are basically a given (like come on, were you really not going to have Super Bell Hill?), but the Overworld theme from New Super Mario Bros? GLOOMY MANOR from Luigi's Mansion 2 (specifically 2!)?! The deep cuts here are amazing. And I still need to get around to the character themes! I've heard they don't have different genres this time round unfortunately but they're apparently still incredible so I'm excited regardless.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

StarPoint

@Fizza Yeah I have been blown away by the OST. It is phenominal

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

sisodinr

@Fizza oh shoot. Checking this out immediately! Now I just want Nintendo to release BTS videos of how they recorded the soundtrack.

sisodinr

StarPoint

@sisodinr Definitely something I love that Nintendo does every now and then. I really enjoyed watching the videos for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

StarPoint

So the game does have Cup Battles. These seem to be single-player tournaments from what I can gather. Winning the entire tournament will win you a cup, which comes with a substantial coin reward.

It's nice to have some single-player content that is reminiscent of Charged. It's nothing major, but it's something.

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

meleehunter

There seems to be grumblings about how it isn't possible to have online matches with 8 separate Switches (you can have 4 max, eight player matches possible with two per Switch).

Speaking as a largely lone wolf player, while I can understand disappointment for those who were planning on large simultaneous games with groups of friends online, I don't see this impacting the overall online audience as much as this sounds. Clubs can be made with strangers, the season rankings are somewhat more based on participation than sheer skill (you earn points for your club even with losses, so while teaming up for more consistent wins and more points per match is an option, so is everyone doing their own thing and getting in more games total), and finally, there's nothing stopping anyone from just playing quick games only (locally or online) and never touching the clubs or seasons. It's not a perfect system, but it does cover most bases of the various player types.

Fizza

Yeah I'll think be switching to these thank you.
Untitled
Also, @meleehunter it's your time!

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

StarPoint

oh I'm picking up that DK one for sure

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

meleehunter

@Fizza I mean, Luigi & Rosalina are the ones I want to use the most and they're coming the latest aside from possible Peach & Bowser who we don't see yet, but I will definitely use Mario in the meantime.

Primo40295

Been playing a bit of online and it’s definitely fun but am I missing something or you’re not allowed to turn off objects and hyper strikes?

Primo40295

Switch Friend Code: SW-0871-5798-7779

Pizzamorg

Untitled

Heard you need to really give it a few hours as the learning curve is steep, but then it all slots into place, so I am hoping I push through and have a lot of fun.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic