Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,581 to 2,600 of 3,125

Eel

All of these "secret" shines have levels dedicated to finding them and most, if not all, are required to complete the game.

The only ones you need to find yourself by exploring are the optional ones in Delfino Plaza.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zeldafan79

@Eel
Oh okay guess i must have found a few early then as i was never given an indication on the course select screen as to where they were. I've only done Bianco hills and part of Ricco harbor. I think i remember you see question marks on the menu eventually telling you there's a hidden shine.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Octane

@Zeldafan79 @Eel It depends on what you mean by "secret" shrines. Some people call the levels without FLUDD the secret levels, but they are mandatory. If you're talking about the ninth and tenth hidden shrine sprite in every course, then no, the game doesn't tell you this. You get some of them by revisiting the FLUDD-less levels (red coin challenge), but the others are hidden in other ways.

Octane

Eel

Well the game itself identifies them as "secrets", so... But yeah, the game never mentions that you can get another shine by returning to them.

So perhaps that was the secret all along.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Octane

@Eel Yeah, but there are also other ways of getting additional shine sprites in levels that don't involve the level mission, or the 100 coin shine. There's a yellow bird in Noki Bay for example.

Octane

Zeldafan79

@Eel
I was mostly referring to the red coin challenge ones where you get back fludd.

@Octane
Totally forgot about the bird in Noki bay! I knew about the ones in the hub though.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

porto

In worlds where there is only one secret course, they have an extra shine hidden somewhere in the world. If you go to the map and see your "Shine Totals" Then you can infer you need two extra shines in that world. So, technically it never explicitly tells you, but still.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Did anyone else find the FLUDD powered boat in Sunshine more wonky than usual? It keeps going the wrong way making Corona Mountain extremely difficult.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano It's the same as it has always been. The things to keep in mind is that it's difficult to keep it going straight. So I always stand either left or right and alternate between them (also depending on the obstacles), in other words, don't work against it, but use the wonky-ness in your advantage. If you spray towards the left or right you can turn the boat relatively easily; make sure you stand in front or in the back.

Is it easy to record clips on the Switch (@Eel)? I wouldn't mind sharing some footage to explain this stuff.

Octane

Eel

@Octane well, you just hold the screenshot button for a few seconds and it records the last 30 seconds.

I use twitter for convenience, to upload them directly from the switch.

Bloop.

Octane

@Eel Yeah, I don't have Twitter... I'm too old for that.

Octane

Eel

@Octane I literally just use it for these, and other game sharing things like on the xbox one.

As I say, it's a convenience, I don't actually "participate" in twitter.

However, you're free to remove the SD card and using a computer to share these videos by other methods.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

Eel wrote:

As I say, it's a convenience, I don't actually "participate" in twitter.

Octane wrote:

@Eel Yeah, I don't have Twitter... I'm too old for that.

We may have found out why this forum is so incredibly normal and sane, by internet standards.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BruceCM

Heh, I mostly use Twitter for the gaming news, so I do Tweet about that stuff but I don't get involved in other stuff there

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

@Octane It worked, being at the front of the boat meant more control so I've now 100%'d Sunshine in 3D All Stars. Needed a guide for about 15 blue coin locations and location of 1 hidden shine in Delfino Plaza (the red coins in very tall grass one), blue coins would've worked better if there was a hint system like the moons in Odyssey.

It'll be nice replaying 3D World in February (my other favourite 3D Mario).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

porto

@Grumblevolcano That boat section is the bane of my existence. It was hard enough using it to get to Bowser, but it'll take a while before I get the blue coins there.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Don

I wish there’s a guide book for this game. It’s sad that guide books are no longer being published except for a very few select games. In Japan however guide books are still being published with multiple versions too.

Don

RR529

Cleared the mission in Pianta Village where you don't have FLUDD (at the start) and the village is covered in fire goop. I died a lot, but I did it (did it by eventually doing the exploit where you climb & jump off the big palm tree).

It's so annoying because if you fall in the goop it's essentially a life lost as you don't have any control over which direction you bounce (unlike 64, where you can still sort of guide yourself when you're on fire), and it seems to consistently bounce you away from the nearest safe land, so even with full health you don't have a chance of making it back to safety (unless you happen to bounce on one of those slime enemies, which counts as you defeating it and you get control of Mario for a brief second, maybe giving you the chance to reach safe land if you're close enough).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic