Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 2,357

Apportal

@Tyranexx and he doesn't pay his freaking taxes. Horrible example to the children of today.
(Sorry, outdated joke)

Edited on by Apportal

Apportal

Don

When do you guys think the Zelda 35th anniversary “celebrations” will start?

Don

Matt_Barber

I think there are good arguments on both sides. Nintendo usually just re-release single games and sell them at full price, so getting three seems unusually good value. Galaxy and Sunshine in particular also hold up very well visually, and keeping the original engines ensures all the little gameplay quirks remain, so the less-is-more approach is arguably the right one.

On the flip side, maybe Mario 64 could have used a bit more love to get the graphics up to the same standard as the other two - although I'm on the fence about that personally as I still think the look of the game holds much charm - and the limited release is just blatant FOMO marketing. Nintendo might not release stinkers very often, but getting into a habit of buying games before the reviews are in greatly raises your chances of ending up with them. so if you're not already a day-one purchaser of games try not to let this turn you into one.

Most of the rest of the arguments doing the rounds seem pretty bad though, and I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why Galaxy 2 - and also 3D Land - got left out.

Matt_Barber

Tyranexx

@Apportal I'd forgotten about Yoshi's tax evasion, actually. Thanks for bringing that one up! XD See? Isn't he a terrible influence?

That also reminded me of this clip:

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, Super Mario Odyssey

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Slowdive

I'm not surprised about this:

It kinda feels like a rushed job. Not saying it is bad by any means, but it is clear that Nintendo didn't want to spend a lot of time, money, and resources on this project. Hence...

Edited on by Slowdive

Currently playing:

MarioBrickLayer

I ordered my copy from the UK Nintendo online store, they have taken payment and my order is awaiting dispatch and is due to be sent today.

MarioBrickLayer

Balta666

PikaPhantom wrote:

I've heard a bit about Sunshine's camera controls no longer being inverted, which I'd be happy with.

Wow this would be the biggest improvement to the game overall!! Hope that's true man

Balta666

Henmii

@LetsaGO,

I don't know about the Nintendo store. I guess everyone can still get it at some point, as long as they order it before the end of March. Scalpers have stolen a lot of copies though...

"If you try to exit SM64 the entire Switch just softlocks.

The game stops but never successfully exits, and you cant back out to the Switch home menu, so you have to reboot your entire Switch"

That doesn't sound good. Day one patch?

Update: When I searched it up on the internet it seemed it is a pirating issue. So our proper games should work fine (I hope).

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

jump

@MarioBrickLayer I’ve got a dispatch email about an hour ago from Nintendo UK.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

1UP_MARIO

jump wrote:

@MarioBrickLayer I’ve got a dispatch email about an hour ago from Nintendo UK.

Same. Wahooo

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Dezzy

Hmmm, my amazon preorder hasn't dispatched yet. Guess I should've gone with Official Nintendo store?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@PikaPhantom I really hope you can still with inverted camera, because that's the only way I can play that game.

Octane

StuTwo

@Slowdive It certainly does seem like a rush job. I've been playing SMAS on the SNES app - I'd forgotten just how much better Mario 2 and Mario 3 look and play. Honestly I'd forgotten just how good Mario 3 is full stop (despite owning both the original NES game and the All-Stars versions when they were originally released). They really pushed the boat out for those ports!

The title invites comparisons to that game and it isn't flattering to 3d All Stars at all. Aside from missing Galaxy 2 I'm slightly concerned that all three games will be slightly diminished in some ways on Switch. It's great that they've got work arounds for the controls in Sunshine and Galaxy but... the work arounds are definitely compromises. I'm sure they'll both be perfectly playable but I am slightly skeptical. It'll be nice to have all three games on Switch but I'm not sure any of the three games will ever be considered the "definitive" version you'd always recommend unconditionally over the original releases.

My thoughts generally are that Nintendo had originally planned to release 3D World + Bowsers Fury this Christmas and had to row back because of Covid. 3D All Stars has the feeling of being a "fall back" position.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

status-204

@Octane Same, I always play with inverted Y, so it'd be very bad if that isn't an option :/

Switch FC: SW-4802-1501-8621

Northwind

I don't actually see SMAS as being the 'definitive' version of any of its games except SMB2 (and that's saying something since SMAS was my first experience of all its games, since I never owned a NES and my first video game ever was SMW on SNES). For 1 and 3, I'd take the NES versions' tight controls over the SNES versions' improved graphics any day. For SMB1, I will acknowledge that the SMAS version looks the best. For SMB3, I actually think the original graphics suit it way better. For example, I really like that the final stages of SMB3 have plain black backgrounds; it hammers home the tension in a subtle way that fits so well with the sense of 'imminent climactic battle'.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8422-8721-1910 | My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

MarioBrickLayer

@jump @1UP_MARIO I just received my dispatched email too!

@Dezzy 9/10 times I find Amazon to be fine with pre-orders, the only time they have let me down was with my Switch console back in 2017! I got an email at 04:00 on the day of release that they couldn't fulfil my order, luckily I got one as they were putting them on the shelves at a local supermarket!

MarioBrickLayer

Octane

@status-204 Nintendo isn't exactly known for accessibility options, so it wouldn't surprise me if they changed it without putting an option in to invert it. We will know soon enough...

Octane

Northwind

Slowdive wrote:

I'm not surprised about this:

That's around when all Nintendo development ostensibly shut down for several months. If that's when development actually started, then they may have only had effectively 2-3 months of full-scale dev time (and the rest might've been 'work from home development', probably limited to a few key personnel, since Nintendo has said that most of their development was put on hold since most of it could not be done in this manner).

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8422-8721-1910 | My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic