Forums

Topic: Gamecube Virtual Console?

Posts 1 to 20 of 80

TechnoCharlie

In my opinion, Gamecube VC would be awesome! I don't really know why Nintendo didn't do it with the Wii U. I mean, It can run Wii games, and the Wii can run Gamecube games, so it was clearly not an "power limit" issue. Does anyone know if Nintendo intended to have it or not? But anyway, would some of you be in for Gamecube on VC?

Edited on by TechnoCharlie

TechnoCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-7279-2377-2791 | 3DS Friend Code: 2664-2537-1828 | My Nintendo: TechnoCharlie | Nintendo Network ID: TechnoCharlie

cwong15

Many of Gamecube's best games are already re-released on the Wii and Wii U: Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Pikmin 1&2, Metroid Prime 1&2. Some will be hard to license from 3rd parties (Rogue Squadron). Some are arguably superseded by newer versions of the same franchise: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Party etc. So that leaves maybe a handful of unique games that I personally would be interested in, like Paper Mario or Super Mario Sunshine. So I'd welcome GC on the VC, but what games would realistically be worth it?

Edited on by cwong15

cwong15

TechnoCharlie

@cwong15 I just thought it would be a cheaper option, maybe if you wanna by Paper Mario TTYD for an example, insted of 60€, it would be maybe 15€. And hey, Nintendo can maybe release the Gamecube controller adapter again, so you can play Gamecube games like they used to be

TechnoCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-7279-2377-2791 | 3DS Friend Code: 2664-2537-1828 | My Nintendo: TechnoCharlie | Nintendo Network ID: TechnoCharlie

Yellowtails

There's no real reason why Nintendo couldn't do GameCube VC games on the Wii U, seeing as they are selling Wii games on the e-shop and many people have gotten gamecube games to work one the Wii and Wii U. It's crazy that Nintendo can't do this while people in their spare time can do this stuff.

cwong15 wrote:

Some are arguably superseded by newer versions of the same franchise: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Party etc.

Definitely not Mario Party. And newer games didn't stop the older games from being on the VC.

Yellowtails

GrailUK

Y'all in cloud la la land. Why are you wanting F-Zero GX (for example - and it's the one I want to be re-released the most) on a pad with no analogue shoulder buttons and the most dead zone on any Nintendo analogue stick? You seriously have such low standards? Let's hope the NX has analogue triggers and responsive sticks and then I will send Nintendo a letter everyday asking for GCHD games lol.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Yellowtails

@GrailUK There's no reason why Nintendo couldn't let you use the GameCube controller through the GC adapter or the original Classic controller.

Yellowtails

Don

What I don't understand is why they would put Wii games on eShop instead of Gamecube games.

Don

GrailUK

@YellowFighter That's a good point mate. I don't know too much about that adaptor or how well it works. I don't suppose the analogue triggers are much use in that game to tell if they work or not. Hmmm...if they offer GC VC games compatible with the GC controller then YOU SOLD ME!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

LzWinky

YellowFighter wrote:

It's crazy that Nintendo can't do this while people in their spare time can do this stuff.

Perhaps Nintendo doesn't have unlimited free time like some people do?

Current games: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

FragRed

@YellowFighter @GrailUK Are you seriously implying that Nintendo should use common sense to not only increase sales of the GC adapter and the controllers, but also to make a quick easy buck that would help them through what will be a difficult trading period until NES mini and NX?

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

GrailUK

@FragRed ...what were we thinking...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Yellowtails

Don wrote:

What I don't understand is why they would put Wii games on eShop instead of Gamecube games.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There's no reason why GC games can't be on if Wii games are there.

Lzeon wrote:

YellowFighter wrote:

It's crazy that Nintendo can't do this while people in their spare time can do this stuff.

Perhaps Nintendo doesn't have unlimited free time like some people do?

But they definitely have the money and resources, yet they don't do it for some reason.

FragRed wrote:

:YellowFighter :GrailUK Are you seriously implying that Nintendo should use common sense to not only increase sales of the GC adapter and the controllers, but also to make a quick easy buck that would help them through what will be a difficult trading period until NES mini and NX?

Yep, but VC games shouldn't have to replace having no Wii U games for a whole year until the NX. But if Nintendo is dead set on not making anymore Wii U games, the least they could do is release more of their older games.

Yellowtails

LzWinky

No Wii U games anymore? Breath of the Wild and Color Splash must not exist then

Current games: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

YellowFighter wrote:

Lzeon wrote:

YellowFighter wrote:

It's crazy that Nintendo can't do this while people in their spare time can do this stuff.

Perhaps Nintendo doesn't have unlimited free time like some people do?

But they definitely have the money and resources, yet they don't do it for some reason.

Yes, Money. Resources. Those are limited things that they'd be wise to use with prudence. If you were in Nintendo's shoes, would you really assign coders and testers from multiple regional branches to work on getting Gamecube games to work on the Wii U, when you still have a backlog on NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Wii, and now TG-16 that have to be made ready and working for the same VC, including submissions from other companies, all while selling them for $5-$20? Not to mention the unknown number of internal projects that have to be produced and localized, rated, and distributed between multiple storefronts? And the only one making games for your console, are companies you own, or at least have some direct ties with, and small-time indie devs who also need your help making their eShop releases go as smoothly as possible?

...At the very least, I can understand their dillema. I'm not happy with it, and I know there are a couple GCN games that I would be willing to buy through the eShop if given the chance, including ones produced by Ninty themselves...but at the same time, I know my demands are unreasonable, and I'm willing to keep my expectations in check.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

LzWinky

Well according to the internet, just push a button and BAM! Games that we want!

Current games: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

cwong15

I think you all make good points. GC games at VC prices, plus the convenience of not having to futz with disks, can be an attractive offering. At the same time, it's much more cost effective to flood the VC library with games for already-supported systems. Think about it: there are 441 VC games released in Japan, and only 246 in the US. So there is a gap of over 200 VC games for which the technical challenges have already been solved that could be moved over to the US VC. On the other hand, GC games will need to solve issues like controller support before they can get onto the VC. Nintendo's VC offerings are pretty polished, with save states and many video/screen options. They don't do the bare minimum.

cwong15

CanisWolfred

@cwong15 - Well, they're not gonna translate the ones that weren't released in English (usually, I'm still impressed with the few times they have), so it's not like all of those will make it out of Japan. But yeah, it's no flip of the switch. I think people forget that computer emulators are usually worked on by multiple people in their spare time, and rely heavily on feedback from their users in order to keep running, often requiring users to mess around with an unwieldy set of options just to work (sometimes changing them with every game, depending on how demanding it is). A big company like Ninty could never sell these without making them work right out of the box. Even if someone just has to go through each game and make sure the settings are tweaked just right the way you would if you were using a freeware emulator, from my experience, that would still be a ton of work, and yet also one that I doubt they could justify giving to more than a couple people...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Yellowtails

Lzeon wrote:

No Wii U games anymore? Breath of the Wild and Color Splash must not exist then

LOL, one game in 2017 and another that's irrelevant.

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yes, Money. Resources. Those are limited things that they'd be wise to use with prudence. If you were in Nintendo's shoes, would you really assign coders and testers from multiple regional branches to work on getting Gamecube games to work on the Wii U, when you still have a backlog on NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Wii, and now TG-16 that have to be made ready and working for the same VC, including submissions from other companies, all while selling them for $5-$20? Not to mention the unknown number of internal projects that have to be produced and localized, rated, and distributed between multiple storefronts? And the only one making games for your console, are companies you own, or at least have some direct ties with, and small-time indie devs who also need your help making their eShop releases go as smoothly as possible?.

The NES, SNES, and N64 games owned by Nintendo that were already on the Wii VC should have been there when the Wii U launched. And if Wii games can be on the VC, there's no real reason why they can't put GC games on the VC. And I know they have to license and rate their games again, but still Nintendo should have stepped it up with the VC.

Anyway, it doesn't even matter to me anymore if GameCube games will ever be on the Wii U. (I still wanted to point out its a missed opportunity). Becuase I think if anyone wants to play GameCube games and Nintendo won't release them on the Wii U, there's other ways to play them.

Edited on by Yellowtails

Yellowtails

Luna_110

@CanisWolfred
You make a brilliant point. People tend to forget the little detail that resources, even for international corporations, are limited. And that means having priorities at the moment of assigning them.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the GC games aren't on the VC is because it isn't convenient for Nintendo from a cost/revenue point of view - I imagine the work required to make emulation of them work in the Wii U mode must not be worth the potential revenue.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

tux_peng

I run gamecube games that I own already on mu Wii U through homebrew in vWii mode. I would buy most of them again for Wii U VC

tux_peng

3DS Friend Code: 1349-5347-2670 | Nintendo Network ID: Tux-peng | Twitter:

Top

Sorry, this topic has been locked.