Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,029

Snaplocket

@JaxonH The games do their absolute best to make me feel awful about losing someone, even if I know they'll be just fine for the next battle.

@RedderRugfish I've learned in my experience that when someone tries to be understanding and then does everything they can to make their opinion seem "correct" anyway. All it does is make them appear more arrogant. BTW I've played the Disgaea games and Mario + Rabbids (which are awesome games) and I believe that Fire Emblem with casual mode enabled is a lot more strategic then either of them.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

alpacatears

@Tsurii I've noticed these types of things making appearances and actively trying to ignore them too. While I like hearing more about the game, I really only want to hear from people who are respecting the embargo. I'd hate for there to be a ruined plot point or similar.

alpacatears

-Green-

Yeah, I was reading the impressions of character previews on reddit and some people were already spoiling plot points on the game. So I’m officially done with Reddit

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Late

I can admit I play some games a bit weirdly or at least differently from many others. Mostly RPGs as some of you may have noticed if you've ever read how I play Pokémon or Final Fantasy. I'm also an item hoarder.

I wonder what the original reason for adding perma-death was and how they thought people would play the game? They always give more than enough units that you can finish the game even if you play badly unless you're playing on Lunatic or something. I've seen more recent interviews where the developers say that they reset maps too but I still wonder if it was always meant to be that way. I personally feel like death is pretty pointless if you just go and reset anyway. @Heavyarms55 said that my way of playing feels like a self imposed challenge run like Nuzlocke (which I personally don't find fun but that's an another discussion altogether) but I always saw it the other way around. In the end, both are just different playstyles.

Death is part of the game but I feel like it still lacks impact, regardless of how you play the game. The characters have their short speech before dying but the next time they even acknowledge death is at the end of the game. They could do something more exciting with the mechanic. Maybe there could be skills that unlock when a character dies. Someone's sibling dies and they get a skill that gives a attack boost against the type of enemy that killed their sibling.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing so I'll just add it here. They still seem to want the players to actually know how it feels to lose a unit since they had that one thing in Fates where one of the character dies unless you know it's coming or happen to have what it takes to prevent that from happening. Keeping it vague so I don't need to bother with spoiler tags.

Edited on by Late

Late

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

BougieBeetle

I like how certain story character deaths are handled — for example, Soren in Path of Radiance doesn't die if he falls in battle, he just retires from battle for the rest of the game. I think it'd be easier for me to accept if that was the case for all characters, since part of the issue for me is losing out on story sequences that would feature the dead character.

But I'm definitely still a casual boy. As I mentioned on the last page, it's in your best interest not to do suicide attacks, even with permadeath disabled, given the way most maps and objectives are set up. You want your units alive and taking useful actions. The strategy never goes away.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

-Green-

I kind of like that you can miss out on side plots and other smallish game details depending on whether you lose certain characters or not. The permadeath mechanic in Fire Emblem plays really well into this and into IS constantly wanting to chase after the ‘Your Decisions Really Matter’ tagline. If handled right it just feels very organic and makes you value the characters even more

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Dogorilla

The only FE games I've played are Blazing Blade (FE7 on GBA) and Sacred Stones but I thought I'd give my two cents to this discussion. In those games, I occasionally reset when a character died if the character was a particular favourite, or my only character of a specific class, or if it was due to a stupid mistake on my part near the start of the battle - but most of the time I just carried on. That's partly because having to reset the entire battle would be time-consuming and frustrating, but the main reason is because it makes it feel more like my story. If Little Timmy gets killed halfway through the game, that's not because it's a scripted event, but because of my mistakes, and I like how that makes my experience with the game unique to me.

As for what people have said about RNG/crits, I may be forgetting something but I don't think I ever felt like it wasn't my fault when I lost a character. The game tells you the probability of each individual opponent getting a crit so in my experience I think I was generally able to plan around the possibility of that happening.

Of course I completely understand why people choose to reset or play on casual mode, but to me that would reduce the fun and excitement of the game, so when I eventually get round to playing one of the recent games I'll play on classic mode right off the bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Dezzy

Lol do they get paid based on house-popularity or something?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

DarthNocturnal

I forgot the nuances of all the houses anyway. I figure the game will refresh me.

Failing that, just go with your favorite color.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

Yeah I'll just decide based on which design I like the best. I don't wanna be looking at yellow uniforms for too long.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

Lol that's awesome

PLAYING
NS: Trails of Cold Steel 3
PC: Trails of Cold Steel, Persona 4 Golden
3DS: SMT4, Persona Q2

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Pikmin 3, SMT5, Ys 9, Trails of Cold Steel 4
PC: Vampire: Masquerade- Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Lilseb93

I'm excited. This is going to be my first Fire Emblem game ever.

SoFlo Gamer
Currently playing: Bayonetta

Switch Friend Code: SW-7562-0637-3118 | My Nintendo: SebGamer93 | Twitter:

LzWinky

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I forgot the nuances of all the houses anyway. I figure the game will refresh me.

Failing that, just go with your favorite color.

My favorite color is green...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Heavyarms55

@Late I'm of the opinion that the perma-death was meant to make you complete individual levels without allowing characters to die. Everyone has their own preferred way to play games and their own quirks. I'm a compulsive saver in many games. Sometimes I'll save two or three times just to reassure myself. (I am pretty sure it's because when I was a kid playing Pokemon Blue I once played for several hours, turned the game off and lost all that progress and it like, mentally scarred me) I also am kinda an item hoarder too, I don't like using them unless I am really sure I need them and using them now wont bite me in the rear later - which is always my concern. Of course then I reach the end of an RPG and have piles and piles of items just wasted because I never used them.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tyranexx

My favorite color is blue, and since I'm already kinda leaning towards the Blue Lions.... XD I'll just need to steal some of the Black Eagle students.

Currently playing: The Wonderful 101: Remastered (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

scoobdoo

Lilseb93 wrote:

I'm excited. This is going to be my first Fire Emblem game ever.

This is my second — Fire Emblem Warriors was my first!

FC: SW-3470-2213-1835

LzWinky

Tsurii wrote:

@LzWinky go golden deer/yellow and recruit/steal all the blue lion students 😛

Funny enough that is the plan

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Heavyarms55

I wonder how recruiting characters from other houses is going to work, if there is going to be a limit or if I can spend a stupid amount of time and just get everyone but the other house leaders? XD (or even them! That would be hilarious!)

Matroska

Just started playing about an hour ago. Love it so far, great music, and lots of nice touches that give it a quality feel. Really feels like a revolution for the series for the first time in ages.

@Heavyarms55 You need to meet certain stat requirements. To do that with more than a few students you'll need to grind, and you can't grind in hard mode. So a more completionist run would need to on normal, unfortunately. I don't think there's a hard limit but can't confirm it myself yet.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

Heavyarms55

@Matroska That's fine by me. I was planning on playing normal classic anyway. I'm not planning on trying for perfect 100% or anything. I just like to do lots of side content when the option is open to me. I'm the kind of player in games where, if there are 10 feasible side quests and the next story mission, I'm probably gonna do all 10 of those side quests first. I only skip stuff that's really tedious or would make me so overpowered that it would break the game. (kinda made that mistake recently in another game. It was fun and funny but totally broke the game.)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic