Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,016

BougieBeetle

Even on casual mode I attempt not to lose units, since that means the unit won't gain experience for the rest of the fight, and I won't be able to utilize it against other enemy units. So I don't think playing on casual creates a mindset of unit disposability. Suicide attacks or sacrificial defenses wouldn't be all that beneficial in Fire Emblem where victory usually hinges on your units defeating much larger cohorts of enemy units. You need your units to survive and keep taking useful actions.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Luna_110

@Ralizah
Exactly this!
If I know my units will be back on the next chapter, I won't hesitate on leaving one (usually the Jeigan) to be bait for the mooks ,for example, in a map I need to rescue someone. Or in a defend map, I'll just put someone in a chokepoint but won't be as worried as I am in classic (where I'm checking and making calculations if the unit can last through the enemy phase).
Classic mode simply restrics some of your strategies, and that is what I like about it. It does force you to be far more conservative, and when you do decide to gamble, it's because you're praying to the RNG Goddess that she won't screw you, because if she does, you lose the character for good.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Grumblevolcano

The only game I regret using classic is Echoes because of Thabes' Labyrinth but really that dungeon should've had save points.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Ya, despite always playing casual post-Awakening, I have played previous games and totally get the appeal of permadeath.

And I mean, the real appeal. Of making tough choices like “do I restart the entire map or make due losing my best Pegasus knight knowing I’m close to the end?”. Which actually happened to me in Fire Emblem 7 on GBA. And I made the decision not to replay the map, because I had already spent more than an hour on it and didn’t want to replay it all over again, especially after having to replay a map not long before hand for missing the recruitment of Jaffar.

And I really want that in Three Houses. I’m not sure if I’d have the nerve if it wasn’t for the timewheel. The timewheel takes the edge off, knowing it’s ok to make one blunder, even two, and still be alright. And a lot of times you get in a bad situation it’s not because of one bad move, it’s because of a whole series of bad moves due to lack of foresight. So while you could just rewind one or two moves back, I kind of feel like rewinding is going to account for much more than that in some cases. Sure, one move may save your unit but if your unit was in a bad spot due to poor strategy and foresight it’s going to take more than one move to get yourself out of that. They very well might die three turns later because you’re still in a bad spot.

I’m just ready for a classic playthrough. I do think 4 timewheel moves is excessive though. I hear it starts with 2 but can upgrade to 4 later. Should’ve started with 1, with an upgrade to 2 later. That would have been fair.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Trails of Cold Steel 3
PC: Trails of Cold Steel, Persona 4 Golden
3DS: SMT4, Persona Q2

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Pikmin 3, SMT5, Ys 9, Trails of Cold Steel 4
PC: Vampire: Masquerade- Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Heavyarms55

@Late That's the thing though, Mario was intended for you to start over once you ran out of lives. Fire Emblem is not. The intention is for you to beat individual levels without losing anyone. Otherwise they'd have the auto save function save after every turn with no ability to load a previous save at all. Something they could easily do. When a character dies and you get to the end of the game and it just says "Serra: Died in Chapter 22" it clearly says to me they aren't meant to die, there is no story component. You're supposed to finish the game with her alive. The idea of clearing the entire game without losing anyone is like a Nuzlocke in Pokemon, a fanmade challenge. Now I am sure there are die hard fans out there who would like it, but by no means is it the intended way to play. If you want to self impose those rules on yourself, that's on you. But as far as I can see, they allow you to reload the start of a level on purpose, they have at least since the GBA games. So they intended to allow the player to do so.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

LzWinky

My problem is that 90% of the time I lose units to RNG BS. Enemies get crits galore and gang up on some random unit that's not my lord.

Casual FOREVER!

...on the flip side, if I know I screwed up and made a mistake, I'll start over the chapter.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Heavyarms55

@LzWinky I get the distinct feeling you don't like card games. Or Pokemon. Seems like you really hate RNG.

To be fair, no one likes dying to that random crit but...

Edited on by Heavyarms55

DarthNocturnal

@LzWinky

Fire Emblem AI 101: Target the weakest unit in range.

They don't care if your Lord can one shot them. They will target that poor Mage who just finished reading “My First Spellbook“.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

LzWinky

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@LzWinky

Fire Emblem AI 101: Target the weakest unit in range.

They don't care if your Lord can one shot them. They will target that poor Mage who just finished reading “My First Spellbook“.

Hate to break it, but it's completely random. They could target one of my middle strong characters

There was one chapter where they ran past my lord and the weakest unit to gang up on another unit. I wish I was making this up!

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@LzWinky I get the distinct feeling you don't like card games. Or Pokemon. Seems like you really hate RNG.

To be fair, no one likes dying to that random crit but...

My luck in Yu-gi-oh was legendary at my university

CanisWolfred

@LzWinky Don't forget the times enemies just spawn right text to your units and get in a free turn, killing your units because you had no way of knowing in advance where they'd show up...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal

@LzWinky

The calculations for weakest may not be as straightforward as level. Do you remember the exact units?

It's still a good general rule of thumb either way. Checking ranges to ensure any unit doesn't get ganged up on is important (unless they're a high Defense character who laughs at such numbers).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

LzWinky

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@LzWinky

The calculations for weakest may not be as straightforward as level. Do you remember the exact units?

It's still a good general rule of thumb either way. Checking ranges to ensure any unit doesn't get ganged up on is important (unless they're a high Defense character who laughs at such numbers).

Not specifically, but I do remember them being in the middle.

Snaplocket

@RedderRugfish I've played every game with casual mode enabled and there's still plenty of strategy.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

-Green-

Fire Emblem Conquest was fairly complex. Mostly because of how common Skills were. The game would force you to constantly keep track of many many skills, Terrain changes (in some case), weapon triangle (which they bloated a lot), stat changes, the Pair Up mechanic, etc. I’d easily say it’s a complex game that demanded a whole lot of thought to beat on higher difficulties

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

JaxonH

The most persuasive point of view is the one that can empathize with other points of view. When you adamantly reject what someone else enjoys and try to beat your point of you into them as being “correct”, the only thing you ensure is that people will be twice as likely to reject the view you espouse, even if just out of spite.

There is plenty of appeal in casual mode. I fell in love with the series in casual mode. You don’t need the threat of losing someone permanently to gain the motivation of performing your best and not losing someone. Pride of accomplishment is a very heavy motivator. And that’s all one needs to play the game on casual and enjoy it just as much. Whether or not that’s your preference, or whether you can relate as your own personal motivator, I would hope most people would at least understand (or try to understand) that this is a truth for many, if not the majority.

Saying you “can’t understand” something that holds true for the vast majority only proves a lack of understanding, which I suspect is due more to a lack of willful effort than an actual lack of capacity.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Hey I think you make some really great points, especially in your first two paragraphs.

I feel like a lot of people treat their own opinions as facts. "like" and "dislike" are subjective things. People don't have to agree on everything to accept each other.

But as to your comments about understanding someone else's opinion, for example do you have any food you dislike? I can't stand fermented beans, I think they taste like a mix between snot and rotten veggies. But there are people who love them. I don't really understand why, but they find that taste appealing. I think it's like that.

As to the whole casual, classic, let characters die thing that we've all been talking about, I think we can probably all agree we have different way we enjoy the game? Let's follow JaxonH's advice and not try and demand others enjoy it the way we do.

BruceCM

Thing is, @RedderRugfish ... You always had the option to reset, whether you chose to or not So, now, you can choose hardcore or casual mode; you don't have to play the later way
Unfortunately, I missed out on the Tactics Ogre games but I'm a huge fan of TRPGs

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Heavyarms55

@Tsurii There's always that guy who gets a copy early in Turkmenistan or something, somehow. That guy who steals a copy out of a the box at the local Walmart. That lucky dude who's copy arrives in the mail early.

JaxonH

Whoever was asking about the special edition coming back in stock, here it is

https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo-switch/games/fire-emb...

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic