Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,768

Tyranexx

ReaderRagfish wrote:

"I've never played anything in this series and have no idea where to start. Suggestions?"

[everyone proceeds to suggest completely different things]

Feeling overwhelmed yet?

It's kind of what I suspected would happen, actually. XD

I'll at LEAST pick up the main numbered entries that are coming to the Switch. Based on @JaxonH 's response though, I think I'll wait on picking up X-2 unless I really feel like continuing X's story. So. Many. RPGs!

...There actually is a major spoiler that I do know about in regards to FF VII that I accidentally ran across a few years ago in a parody video (within Dorkly's power-up mix-up video series). Thankfully that's the only one I've ran across.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Yes, I did go through and read everything.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

BenGrimm

@Dezzy

Thanks, looks like I’ll get 9 first and then give 7 ago and see how I get on with it.

BenGrimm

Tyranexx

@Yosheel: D'oh, forgot about that. It's been one of those days....

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

darkfenrir

@ReaderRagfish For me, it's the story. It hooked me from start to end when I replayed it (well with so many cheat codes slapped into it because I don't want to grind lol)

The combat system isn't bad as well, and I enjoy that I have to put up the equipment for a while so I can get the ability. (The only part I don't like is that there's no control over Trance, pretty much it's going to happen on last round when the enemy will die in one more hit or something... so annoying)

darkfenrir

darkfenrir

@ReaderRagfish I mean... isn't that the usual thing? Well I personally only uses Auto Regen, Auto Haste, then stuff like Jelly and whatever prevents those one hit kills (petrify / stop / etc). The rest isn't useful lol

(Also the HD remake make it so you can speed up the battle, so no worries about the battle getting even slower since they fixed that)

darkfenrir

darkfenrir

@ReaderRagfish lolol, maybe! I play some amount of RPGs as well (considering it's pretty much one of my favorite genre ever) but FF9 is still there for my favorite so far. Especially since it's the only one I accept rebuying so many times xD

And yeah, the cheats aren't bad, this is the list from what I found on steam community:

This ones you can turn on/off:
F1- fast speed
F2- Max VIT, MP, Trance and BTC
F3- All hits do 9.999
F4- No encounters

This ones, once activated, can NOT be deactivated:
F5- When you get new gear, you master atumaticaly the abilities it has.
F6- Character levels an crystals are at max
F7- Max Gils

darkfenrir

farrow000

I loved FF9 as a kid on the PS1 it was my first experience of a Final Fantasy game and I loved it. Been wanting to play it again so it will be awesome. 7 I'm excited for too but not as much as 9 and I actually liked 8 so sad that isn't included. I think Square Enix let Nintendo have what ever they wanted after the success of Octopath Traveller.

farrow000

My Nintendo: SW-3219-1520-3721

DoomTurtle

FullbringIchigo wrote:

@DoomTurtle would that be Eyes on Me by any chance?

if so i completely get why it's not being released yet because that song is a key part of the games narative

Yeah, that was the song they would need to require the rights too. Like I said, I've never played it, but would love to, so hopefully they can work something out.

DoomTurtle

Bunkerneath

X was great, especially Blitz Ball, the amoutn of times I played the game and stalled when I got to that I have no idea.
X-2 was just a major money grab for Square Enix. They completely changed the battle system and cut it down to 3 main characters. They tried to tap into the job system from earlier games, but failed.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Jjj0hnn

7, 9 and 10 for me. Glad to see them coming to the switch. Start with 7 for sure, it's most people's first FF in the uk if they're honest.

Jjj0hnn

Jjj0hnn

And old enough

Jjj0hnn

Bunkerneath

@Jjj0hnn True 7 was my first FF I ever played, back in 1997, can't believe it is 21 years old. But because of that, it started my love affair with RPGs and I worked my way back over the originals over the next couple of years, whilest playing the newer ones at the same time.
Loved every single one of them until 12, where I could not get into the game play because of the support roles, but I think people who love Xenoblades will like it.

Edited on by Bunkerneath

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Jjj0hnn

Same here bunker, 21 years eh that's scary.

Jjj0hnn

Jjj0hnn

I was 18 and my mates just didn't get it. Locked myself away for a couple of months grumbling about having to rearrange my materia if anyone tried to get me out lol. Happy days

Jjj0hnn

link3710

@Tyranexx Some things people haven't told you, don't worry about XI or XIV, they're both MMORPGs so you can strike them from your list. Also, if you do eventually want to play the early titles (at least III off the top of my head, I believe IV as well) the DS had remakes of them that were much improved from my understanding.

link3710

EvilLucario

@link3710 The PSP version of IV is neck-and-neck with the DS version imo. The PSP version lacks the challenge and extra features (like augments) of the DS version (which I think enhances the game), but in exchange the game looks absolutely gorgeous and is the go-to version for newcomers into the series since it's not as hard as the DS version.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

darkfenrir

My first FF is 9 and I never regretted it. Pretty much still sticking as the best FF I ever played, and one of the best JRPG I played for me

darkfenrir

link3710

@EvilLucario I didn't even know that version existed admittedly, so good to know!

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic