Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 101 to 120 of 705

ilikeike

I am incredibly frustrated right now. We've been promised a Switch version of DQ XI since 2015, and Square Enix continues to ignore us. It's infuriating. While I'm still hyped for Octopath Traveler and other Square Enix games, I really do echo @OmegaDestroyer 's sentiments. First Square was relentlessly teasing us with Final Fantasy XV, and now it feels like the same situation with DQ XI. The Switch is a phenomenally successful system, yet we still don't get a lot of multiplatform AAA releases, and when we do get them they're months or years late. I don't want to sound like certain other posters on these forums, but it would be nice if AAA devs like Square Enix began treating Switch with the same respect as XBONE or PS4. I don't want every single AAA multiplat game to come to Switch, as I know that's unrealistic given the system's power. But if you're going to announce a game for the Switch as well as other platforms, you'd better treat it equally. Don't give me any of this "technical difficulty" crap. DQXI was announced for PS4, Switch, and 3DS. It had better come to all those platforms. Even if the 3DS version doesn't get localized, at least it exists. The Switch version, on the other hand, seems to be trapped in development hell for no reason other than Square not giving a damn about the Switch. Will we ever see it, or will Square just keep pretending it doesn't exist?

...Okay, rant over.

Edited on by ilikeike

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Tyranexx

While I'm content to wait for a non-broken Switch version and have plenty of RPGs to deal with currently, the loss of the 3DS version outside of Japan is still a huge blow for me. I thought the 2D engine looked really neat and would have gotten it for the platform that I do currently own.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

LzWinky

ilikeike wrote:

We've been promised a Switch version of DQ XI since 2015

Nope: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/dragon-... It was considered for the Switch (NX at the time), but no formal announcement was made. It was in development for only the PS4 and 3DS at the time. No one knew how popular the Switch would be. As for the PC port, it may be a much easier version to port from PS4 than a Switch version.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Krull

Must admit I'm very disappointed. When I bought the Switch at launch, seeing Dragon Quest XI, along with Shin Megami Tensei, on the release slate was one of the key factors in convincing me to pull the trigger. I guess I'm glad that it's still coming, eventually, and I have plenty of other RPGs to keep me going (currently playing Xenoblade 2 on Switch, and Dragon Quest IV on iOS), but 2019 seems an awful long time to wait for an RPG that has already been released for some time. At least Atlus have the excuse that they started from scratch.

Can't see any reason not to get Octopath Traveller, though. That kind of thinking makes no sense to me. There's a good possibility that Squeenix is deliberately sitting on the DQ XI port because it doesn't want it to hurt the sales of a rare new IP. Seriously, if you like RPGs, and if Octopath reviews well, Squeenix ought to be encouraged for doing something new, not punished.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

OmegaDestroyer

But aren't Switch owners the ones being punished? For all intents and purposes, at this point, DQ XI for the Switch has been delayed indefinitely. I am honestly expecting it to be canceled. And in the event it releases, you can bet sales will be disappointing due to it being released on PS4 and PC sooner AND releasing against discounted prices for the other systems.

Even if Octopath Traveler reviews well, it doesn't make up for the fact that the Switch still feels like an afterthought to Square.

OmegaDestroyer

Octane

@OmegaDestroyer No, nobody get's punished lol.

The Switch version wasn't even officially confirmed until a few days ago. They've always maintained that ''It is under consideration, but we don’t have further information to share at the moment.''

You can't delay a game that never got a release date in the first place.

Octane

ilikeike

I stand corrected, Dragon Quest XI was not 'confirmed' for Switch in 2015. It was teased in 2015 and 2016, and confirmed to be coming at the Switch presentation in January, although I believe the confirmation came a few months before that, maybe slightly before the presentation. Even then, its frustrating that Square has been teasing the game so much and still hasn't given us Nintendo fans anything worthwhile. DQ XI on Switch has become pure vaporware at this point, and that's so disappointing.

Still, don't let this debacle diminish the brilliance of Octopath Traveler. It's sad that Dragon Quest isn't coming soon, but at least Square is giving us a beautiful, phenomenal JRPG in Octopath. I would encourage everyone to purchase Octopath, if only to show Square once and for all that the Switch is a lucrative audience that they can't keep pushing aside in favor of PS4.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Krull

I'll just add throw in that we're also getting a Switch reboot of The World Ends With You, which IMHO is Squenix's greatest work. It's arguably my favourite game, full stop, let alone RPG. If Octopath Traveller is even two-thirds as good, it'll be well worthwhile.

Dragon Quest XI, though - perfect score from Famitsu. It'll be worth the wait.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Tyranexx

Yeah, I understand being ticked about some of these developments, but I don't think that warrants completely skipping Octopath Traveler (which looks like it'll be decent) and The World Ends With You: Final Mix (which we know is decent). I would think not buying them would have the opposite effect that boycotters are intending.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

jtmnm

An HD port of the DQ8 3DS remake would compensate for Squeenix's seemingly constant disappointments, but that's also expecting them to willingly make amends. Still wounded over the Seiken Densetsu Collection.

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902 | Twitter:

RR529

it's a bit disappointing that it's going to take so long (especially since DQ has become one of my favorite JRPG series in the past few years), but as Switch has had a steady stream of JRPGs since Xenoblade 2 released (which looks set to continue), there's no shortage of games in the genre to enjoy at the moment, making the wait more bearable.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

LzWinky

"punished" "compensation" "gifts"

I didn't realize Squeenix owed us anything.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

meppi64

Octane wrote:

The Switch version wasn't even officially confirmed until a few days ago. They've always maintained that ''It is under consideration, but we don’t have further information to share at the moment.''

You can't delay a game that never got a release date in the first place.

That's not correct though.
This is an excerpt from the October 2016 issue of Nintendo Dream.
"Masahiro Sakurai: Well then, I would like to ask about each of your new games. First, Dragon Quest XI. The 11th installment in the series will be released simultaneously on Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation 4, and including NX it's coming out on three platforms, right?

Yuji Horii: That's right. The use of hardware is different for each system, so it's quite a challenge."

It was even reposted on this site by Damien back in 2016:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/dragon_quest_xi_conf...

And that's just one of the instances where they talked about how that they were doing a Switch (NX) version, on the record.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Dezzy

When you see it in the context of the Dragon Quest hysteria in Japan, combined with the relatively low PS4 sales in Japan, I'm guessing the Switch version is almost guaranteed. They did get their Dragon Quest Heroes running on the Switch, although I think performance was poor.
I'd say it's definitely happening though!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

darkfenrir

If I never played any of the old Dragon Quest games, do you think DQXI will be good place to start?

(I do love JRPGs in general though, I just never picked up any of the DQ games because I hate the visual style- although if this DQXI is really good, I might end up giving it a try)

darkfenrir

LzWinky

Each game is unique although some may be considered sequels in a sense. I started with IX and never looked back

Tyranexx

I've been told that each game more or less stands on its own (don't know about the first three, though) by an acquaintance who really loves Dragon Quest. He did say that IV, V, and VI were related by sharing a couple of locations, but no story elements. He recommended starting with pretty much any of them from IV onward except for X (unless one knows Japanese) or VII (He didn't elaborate for fear of spoilers, but apparently this one gets kinda tedious/artificially long near the end).

The sad thing is that I still haven't played any of these, though V is sitting quietly in my backlog. I've also been debating about picking up VIII for the 3DS in the not-too-distant future before it gets hard to find.

Edited on by Tyranexx

LzWinky

The original VII was pretty bad, but they fixed a lot of things in the 3DS version

Dezzy

8 is incredibly good. I'd start with that.

I only got a small way into 7 on the 3DS but that's pretty good too so far

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic