Forums

Topic: Dark Souls Remastered \[т]/

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,002

Ryzaerian

@Blizzia Without exaggeration, floor signs were like 1/50.

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

NEStalgia

@Blizzia The floor signs. I think it's pretty definitely broken for the moment

NEStalgia

Dezzy

EvilLucario wrote:

@Dezzy I get that but honestly nothing would suck more than losing to Sif or the Iron Golem (who admittedly isn't too bad but still) then going through all of their areas AGAIN, especially Sen's Fortress. Like Jesus.

Dude, Sen's Fortress has a hidden bonfire at the end AND a shortcut from the beginning to the end.
Lol, did you miss both of them?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

EvilLucario

@Dezzy I missed the shortcut but not the bonfire. I'm just saying that if you don't find either you're going to be mad if you bite it against the Iron Golem.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Dezzy

@EvilLucario

Well that's kinda the point. Otherwise the secret shortcuts and bonfires wouldn't benefit you and they wouldn't feel like cool discoveries.

JaxonH

Woah. Is nobody else playing this game?

Was gonna ask for tips getting started, but...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH I'm playing, had an awesome scene where I was standing over my first major boss fight contemplating what to do next and the boss took action into his own hands and to my surprised jumped up and attacked me. I was so not expecting that that I just had to lol! That was my first epic death and will always remember it!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

FaeKnight

EvilLucario wrote:

If you don't care for PvP, just play without an Internet connection or (in the main game) just stay as a Hollow. On the other hand if you play without a connection, you'll be missing the messages left by other players which can be very helpful.

Uhm, constant "Praise the sun!" messages are 'very helpful'? Wow, that's news to me. Or how about all the "Jump here" messages people leave to try tricking you into jumping to your death? Or the messages falesly telling you there's an illusion wall, thus tricking you into damaging your weapon on the walls. Or one message I saw the other day on XBL of "Pancakes ahead", how is that helpful?

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

BrainOfGrimlock

@JaxonH i’m sure i’ll pick it up at some point but i’ve already completed it to death on other platforms so staying away (for now) whilst there’s so many other games to play!

I could write an absolute fortress of text here in terms of tips but most people would skim/never read, the next person along would disagree immediately (because there’s lots of approaches to play) and it’s all been written be - so i’ll just drop a couple of the biggest pointers from my own PoV;

Dodge/evasion >>>> defense/tank: you’ll quickly learn that even the weakest enemies can shred your health if you’re not paying attention, consequently the reaction is to grab the biggest armour/shield and turtle around. Even with the best armour, if you’re getting hit, you’re going to die so throw the armour away & master the dodge roll (pay attention to the way equipment lod affects it - there are 4 stages of load penalties). Bloodborne threw away shields and actively encouraged this type of play so it converted a lot of people to the same way of thinking.

Attack >>>> defense/health: In pretty much any fight, the longer you’re in there, the more chance of being hit = more chance of dying. Focus on damage output (upgrade weapons and read up about scaling!) If you’re evading hits anyway then you can worry about armour/vitality later.

Pick one of strength, dexterity & intelligence to focus on first time out (there’s also faith but maybe mess with that on later playthroughs). This is your main ‘damage’ stat and will dictate how weapons scale in strength. Along with endurance (stamina) this will be the most important stat to build up. Note that you may need to put a few base points into str/dex in order to wield the weapon that suits you regardless.

Every weapon plays differently - try them all and find one that suits you, not that a message board says “is the best”.

Will stop there as already a wall but have fun, absolutely amazing game!

BrainOfGrimlock

EvilLucario

@FaeKnight On PC with the remaster, I got a lot of messages pointing out illusionary walls and hidden areas I didn't think to find at the time. So I'd still keep them since I found quite a few helpful messages.

@JaxonH So the best advice for Dark Souls I can give are two things:

• Analyze each enemy and their attack patterns. Everyone is slow and requires some sort of wind-up, and generally the fast attacks aren't very damaging nor wear against shields much.
  • Know your limits. Get a feel of when you can press the offensive or when you need to fall back to wait for an opening. Depending on the enemy, it's better to be aggressive so they can't afford to strike back at all, but enemies are different from each other so be on the lookout for who gets staggered by attacks and who doesn't so you can decide if you can be aggressive or conservative.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FaeKnight

Don't forget about how important having a ranged option is. Either magic, a bow (with plenty of arrows), or both. You definitely want a ranged weapon to go along with your melee weapon.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

JaxonH

@BrainOfGrimlock
Thanks! I picked Knight and the Master Key. Noticed I do a fat roll though. Ugh. I played a bit of DS3 with my bro coaching me along so, I'm a little familiar at least. My bro loves Dark Souls like I love Monster Hunter. So he'll be coaching me as I play. But I'm not planning to play it right now because as you say there are just so many other great games out. I just wanted to get a save file started and get the game rolling a bit

Still neck-deep in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (which is now quite possibly one of my favorite video games ever released- gosh dang this game is amazing), and Starlink, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, The World Ends With You, South Park Stick of Truth, Warriors Orachi 4, Labyrinth of Refrain, Child of Light, Super Mario Party, Guacamelee, Disgaea 1 Complete, Mega Man 11, Marble It Up, Dragonball Fighter Z, Banner Saga Trilogy, Xenoblade 2 Torna, Victor Vran, Bastion, Hyper Light Drifter, Final Fantasy XV Pocket HD (was trying to catch up and finish the story I dropped at Ch. 9 on the original release)... heck I still have Okami HD to play, haven't even touched Spider-Man, and now have Red Dead 2 on the way, with Diablo 3, Civilization VI, Pokémon, Smash Bros, Ark Survival Evolved, My Hero One's Justice, World of Final Fantasy, GRIP and Taiko Drum Master (physical import from EU) on the way in the coming weeks.

And Dark Souls is supposed to somehow, some way, wiggle in a playthrough lol. But, I promised my bro I'd play if it ever came to Switch, where I can easily pause with sleep mode and take on the go. So I have to uphold that pledge.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BrainOfGrimlock

FaeKnight wrote:

Don't forget about how important having a ranged option is. Either magic, a bow (with plenty of arrows), or both. You definitely want a ranged weapon to go along with your melee weapon.

This is a really good tip (not saying any others aren’t!) - I meant to add this one in too! Having the ability to kill some things from range will undoubtedly help, pyromancy can also be useful if you don’t go down a magic route as it doesn’t scale from stats (although dexterity improves cast time) damage wise so compliments a physical build well.

I hear you with ‘all the games’ - i’ve definitely gotten better as i’ve slipped ungracefully towards old age but there are just so many awesome things around it’s almost impossible not to buy too many & struggle to fit them all in. Only suggestion i’d make - and I don’t mean to sound condescending so apologies if that’s how it comes across - is to not buy them all at release, certainly for the bigger companies games (Ubi etc), they don’t need the cash but more importantly I find I enjoy my games a lot more when i’m not stressing about having 8 different ones to play, all of them new and shiny! I say all that sounding like a wise old badger, now I have to decide whether i play Hollow Knight, Valkyria Chronicles (either of them), Warriors Orochi 4 (I caved), AC Odyssey, Undertale or Ys... So maybe I should just shut my face & practice what I preach?

BrainOfGrimlock

EvilLucario

I actually never bothered with long-range attacks on my first playthrough and didn't have too much trouble. On my second playthrough I used it sparingly to lure enemies, but that was it really.

I'm sure magic and etc are REALLY powerful, I just haven't bothered yet because I'm more of a melee fighter than a long-distance/magic one.

Dezzy

Some kind of long-range weapon is definitely helpful on your first playthrough. Bow and arrow especially allows you snipe some bad guys who're causing you trouble.

In my opinion magic makes Dark Souls insanely boring though. I would just avoid it entirely. It's really a game you want to go with melee for to get the most out of it.

Quarth

Started my first game today. I chose the pyromancer. Just killed the first bigger enemy, died a couple if times at first, but finally killed him with some fireballs. This game is tough, but I think I love it.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Sadist

Bought a copy too.

I actually own the PC version, but I rage quited (and honestly, you really have to push me hard to do something like that) after confronting the Capra Demon. Souls newbie’s, you will be punished.

Anyway just escaped the Undead Asylum and while I died after the first encounter, my second fight with the Asylum Demob was easy peasy. Dodge the big bag of goo and go in with small attacks.

Sadist

BrainOfGrimlock

@Sadist the Capra Demon nearly broke me on my first playthrough, I found it impossibly difficult and thougt i’d never get the hang of it - I cannot emphasise how much damage output can help in that fight, being able to 1 (or 2) shot the minions makes the fight immeasurably easier.

Won’t say any more (as there are a million guides online) but I was a sorcerer on that first playthrough & that was my biggest hinderance; it was far too early to get any intelligence/weapon scaling so I was taking 5-6 hits to take them down which makes a MASSIVE difference.

BrainOfGrimlock

rallydefault

I own the PC version somewhere in my like 1%-completed Steam library, but it frustrated me from the very beginning and I never returned to it. With Diablo III in a couple weeks... I don't think I'm going to give it another chance lol

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic