Forums

Topic: Breath of the wild extremely overrated or am I missing something?

Posts 141 to 160 of 262

Monkeido

@ThatDancingGamer Sigh, you're even saying it's a 6.5 game, which would not be an objectively bad game. I never wanted to refute any of your other points, which is why I didn't read them and do not need to read them. Making these childish remarks about what age people learn how to read, makes it seem to me like you're not an adult.

I guess you've never learned that one can refute one point (which is the fact this is not an objectively bad game), without having to refute all the other points?

EDIT: Also, I skimmed through your wall of text before making my previous post, which is why it seemed to me it was mostly made up out of minor complaints. Seemed, so not stating it as a fact.

Edited on by Monkeido

Monkeido

Ralizah

@damien33ad There'd be no reason for BotW2 to have shrines, for plot reasons (couldn't say whether it'll have korok seeds either way, although I'm inclined to think there'll be a new collectible with a largely similar function, given Nintendo also used moons in Mario Odyssey to encourage exploration and interacting with in-game environments). Besides, it's using the same map, so they're going to have to differentiate it somehow.

When I say "the new OoT," I mean the new model for the series going forward. Although you're right that OoT wasn't precisely the game that changed up the series radically: that was A Link to the Past, which was incredibly different from the NES-era Zelda games. OoT took ALttP's structure and adapted it to the new 3D game format.

Anyway, BotW happens to be one of my favorite games in the series (I'd say Majora's Mask is probably "the best," IMO, but I didn't have quite as much fun playing it), but I don't really want to see a carbon copy of it, either. Hopefully the sequel will be more to your liking. I'd like to see the same type of physics-based puzzles that were found in the shrines be integrated into actual dungeons, personally.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Justifier

You have right to your opinion sir, but with all due respect I disagree with it. It is phenomenal game.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

MS7000

@NEStalgia Fun topic to talk about I guess. =P In that sense, BOTW did a good job since it is still being talked about.

I sort of agree that perhaps expectations were misplaced. I vaguely remember that Aonuma said during E3 2016 that BOTW was a reimagining of Zelda 1 (which it definitely is, I can agree that, and I even said as much months ago on this thread), but I also remember Aonuma saying in Jan 2013 Nintendo Direct that they were re-looking at some of the conventions of Zelda. I was expecting them to evolve and change bits and pieces of the formula to refresh it, not chuck it out the window, which is why I am disappointed with BOTW. I don't mind that it isn't just the formula again (though I will forever argue that it is a good fomula), I just didn't want a reboot.

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

Clyde_Radcliffe

@NEStalgia That's interesting because I never liked the top down Zelda's and only started to enjoy the series with Ocarina of Time so what you say makes sense in why I didn't get along with BOTW! I definitely did look at it through that lens.

I'm still hoping Nintendo brings Wind Waker HD to the Switch. Never owned a Wii U and I'd absolutely love to play through that again after 17 (!) years.

Edited on by Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

Cynas

@ThatDancingGamer I figured I would provide my own opinion on some of these aspects of the game that you dislike to give some perspective from someone who enjoyed the game.

ThatDancingGamer wrote:

2. I wish they had come out with a really awesome sountrack. The music is... nice but it's not memorable. That was the best part about Ocarina of time and Majora's mask. Windwaker, Minish Cap and Twilight princess had good music too. But the newer Zelda games sound so generic. I'm really missing the music. Some ppl argue that having music while out in the field would overwhelm but every open world game I've played has music except for BOTW. Skyrim's Jeremy Soule did an incredible job with the soundtrack and it was playing all the time. My animation teacher said that for an animation, music is 70% of the experience. For gaming , it's probably closer to 50%, but still. I feel kind of sad. I just have accept the fact that Zelda isn't going to sound like it used to and that it's jumped on the micro transaction train.

I thought the game's soundtrack complimented the desolate and destroyed world quite nicely. I think it made more sense than having a "grand epic" tune like hyrule field in OoT. The game did have plenty of catchy tunes too, the remastered Zora's Domain song was better than ever, and I especially loved Rito Village, Haneto Village, and Lurelin Village's songs.

3. I have a gripe with the horse situation in BOTW. 1. Epona. Apparently, the only way you can get Epona is via the amiibo. That's bull. It's like, whatever happened to unlocking things in the game?! And Epona of all horses. The greed is just mind blowing. 2. The fact that I cant make my horse gallop in towns. Pretty sure I could do it in twilight princess. 3. The horse controls just feel clunky. Like how do you f that up (excuse my language) in a game where the main characters main mode of transportation has often been a horse. I mean I could win races and shoot ghosts off Epona's back with ease in OOT. I don't know Dan. Yet another regression in BOTW. The horse calling situation. In OOT & Majora's mask. I can call my horse from anywhere yet in a game with a map that's 5 times bigger, lets make it so that you can't call your horse from anywhere🙄.

Epona is really just an Easter Egg, similar to Wolf Link. She basically just comes down to a cosmetic skin, and really isn't any different than other horses in the game. I personally didn't find the horse controls clunky at all, although I didn't use a horse very often to be honest. There are stables in most areas of the map where you can call your horse, and all stables are next to a shrine so you can easily teleport to them, so I never really had an issue with the horse calling situation either. There is the Ancient Saddle too if you have the DLC, which does instantly call your horse.

5. the rain and climbing thing

I actually kind of liked this aspect, but I know that's contrary to popular opinion. One of the consistent themes of BoTW is to think of unconventional solutions to problems, and this was another one of those instances for me, to prevent you from relying on climb to get everywhere. There's also Revali's Gale to help with that situation if it frustrates you.

6. When I fought my first boss it was terrible since the swimming mechanics in this game are also bad. Even the battle underwater in Majoras mask was smoother than fighting the water ganon monster

I never had any issues with the swimming mechanics, it felt pretty similar to most other Zelda games.

9. I'm eager to get through it, always a bad sign

I had the complete opposite effect, I felt like I was constantly rewarded for diverting from the main path to explore and try new things, I didn't get around to completing all the divine beasts until I found nearly every shrine in the game.

10. The way the insects disappear. Once again going back to older Zelda games, you could capture beetles in a bottle. If you didnt get the beetles, they animated the beetles digging into the ground. Fast forward to BOTW and instead of animating the insects digging into the ground, they run and disappear into thin air. I guess the N64 could do it but the WiiU/Switch can't handle that level of detail

I really don't see an issue with the insects disappearing after a while when you scare them off, and I don't think there are many other ways to go about it. It's not like a grasshopper is going to dig into the ground. I think that's a pretty minor thing to point out especially when the animations for most enemies and wildlife is extremely detailed. Everything looks like it really lives in the world, there are a ton of unnecessary details, like bokoblins talking to each other when Link isn't around, which all add together to make a fully realized world.

11. My enemies keep getting stronger but unless I find hidden fountains, my defense wont go up. This is where Skyward Sword did better. There was a smith who upgrade your items and he was always in the same place. As long as you had the materials, you could upgrade your stuff. I firmly believe that the best offense is a good defense and I cant do anything about it until I find hidden fountains that could be anywhere🤬. And I know there's defense potions but it's getting to the point where I'm gonna have to carry around a bunch of potions just to be able to face monsters head on. Utter garbage

You can still purchase different equipment to have a bit higher defense, but I find the great fairies aren't too hidden in this game. One is right outside Kakariko Village and is pretty hard to miss. Either way, defense upgrades are usually hidden and optional in Zelda games. A lot of Zelda games have a hidden fairy fountain which halves damage, most of which are harder to find than BoTW's fairy fountains.

12. They implemented tool breaking. It seems that Nintendo decided a few years ago that they didn't want weapons and tools that are long lasting🤔. It's annoying in AC. Here it's also annoying but at least you have plenty of opportunity to find replaceable. I find it baffling that soilders have such breakable weapons. No wonder they lost to Ganon, their weapons kept breaking midfight. weapons and tools breaking in an RPG works but TLOZ hasnt been an RPG since the second game. I fully expect Zelda to go the way of Fallout and try to implement minecraft elements at some point😪. Honestly I wish the creator ends the series soon. He can't live forever and it's the kind of good thing that should come to an end. The last game should be with a final Link and Zelda where they end the whole reincarnation deal.

This is a pretty common complaint, and I can understand why people dislike it. Personally, I don't think it was implemented perfectly but I like the idea behind it. Again, it goes along with the game's theme of finding unconventional solutions to problems. You have to constantly change weapons and switch strategies. I think it works best in the modes where you lose your equipment, like Eventide Island and the Master Trials.

13. I defeated a spirit dragon on the mountain and what do I get? A weapon that's going to break and a measly spirit orb. Why not something permanent like the ability for Link to swim better or a heart piece? The rewards in this game are so lame. I've beaten enemy camps only to be rewarded with a weapon weaker than those of the monsters I just fought.

You kind of contradict yourself here. You suggest a piece of heart as a prize, but a spirit orb is really just a better version of a piece of heart. You can either count it as a piece of heart or a stamina upgrade. I do think more varied rewards in the shrines would have been better. There were a few instances of shrines having unique equipment, which were a great treat.

14. So the game actually still has a lot of linear qualities to it. They lock areas with the weather

I don't really understand this one. Are you talking about the areas that are too hot or too cold? There are plenty of ways to get in those areas, you're never "locked" out. You can eat some food which warms you up/cools you off, you can find the equipment sets, or you could even just hold a flame or ice sword in your hands. Again, the game encourages finding unconventional solutions to problems, which I loved.

17. So I have 5 areas left to unlock for my map. I'm noticing that in the way of mini bosses they mostly just put this Hinox guy everywhere and I just gets really old to keep running into him instead of fairy fountains😪

I do agree more enemy variety would be nice. I never had a huge problem with it, but I hope it's something the sequel changes.

ThatDancingGamer wrote:

@teo_o

Why would me beating a large amount of videogames and coming from Red Dead Redemption to BOTW give you pause? I'm an extremely avid gamer, they're my biggest passion and I play a large variety so I have a lot of experience to pull from when it comes to critiquing BOTW.

It gave him pause because your opening paragraph was pretty immature. It effectively reads "Anyone who has a different opinion from me must be not as experienced as I am." I'm not a big fan of Spirit Tracks, but if someone comes by and tells me they love Spirit Tracks I'm not going to say to them "You must have never played another Zelda game, and probably haven't played many games in general." I'm all for people having different opinions, but you can still respect other peoples opinions in the process.

Also, don't think because you've beaten 140 games you're in this elite group whose opinion is more valid than anyone else. Yes, it's good to have perspective from other games, but you also can't assume no one else has the experience you do. Honestly if I were to guess I'd say 140 beaten games is below average compared to the people you're talking to on this site.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Monkeido

@ThatDancingGamer You definitely come across as a typical teenager, making everything into a personal attack. I'm sure your teacher would think you're a great debater when you say things like "you learn how to read when you're 3 years old" and "I wouldn't want you in my debate team". Those are some very strong arguments.

I never said nothing can be objectively bad, so where you got that from, is beyond me. I'm just saying BotW is not objectively bad (or not that great). You honestly think that the points you posted prove, without a reasonable doubt, that BotW is objectively a not great game? Or is that just your opinion and experience with the game?

Nobody said they want a score that low and it's only you and a few others who would even give a score like that to BotW, hence the developers don't care.

I said I could make a list of positives and also told you why it would be useless in proving how the game is objectively good or bad. To me and many others, the game is great for a myriad of reasons, yet for you and some others, it's not great for a myriad/couple of reasons. You don't seem like the type of person who would ever be swayed by hearing all the positives about BotW anyway. At least not in the concept of accepting BotW is not objectively not that great. Apparently you think your opinion is objectively how things are, which is not the case, but again.. very typical of a teenager.

Monkeido

WoomyNNYes

Regarding no Epona (unless you get epona from amiibo), botw has horses everywhere. I never really used them because i didn't want to leave then anywhere, even though they can be summoned at any horse stable on the map. It was only after i beat botw that i realized how convenient horses can be, and started using them.

Also, there are several unique, cool, hard to find horses to be found, each with special attributes:

• a giant horse (rumored to be ganon's descendant. Very strong, but not fast)
  • white royal horse (great stamina &speed)
  • and I'll say the magical ghost horse (i don't want to spoil anything).

And... you can ride a deadly bear or a deer, though it's not easy.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jump

For all this fuss about horses why has no one talked about how weird it is to have a motorbike in the game?

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

WoomyNNYes

@jump Oh yeah, the motorbike is weird hell! haha

I totally didn't want it, but used it plenty cause it can't die. Makes things a bit too easy. Feels like an OP cheat, to me. But glad it's only available after you beat the game.

Edit: I admit, after a couple hundred hours, traversing the map gets old. That's when i started using the bike.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

kkslider5552000

ThatDancingGamer wrote:

But it sounds like you just don't care for video game music as much as the rest of us.

I spent my teen years obsessing over video game music over anything else and listened to the entire Mother 3 soundtrack, in full, in one day, twice (that's two separate times, not twice in one day btw :V). And did the same for Brawl's soundtrack, just with maybe a day or two extra. I regularly look into the composers to give a little bit of respect to the majority of video game composers that sadly practically no one knows even exist (if anyone else in this thread can tell me the name of basically any of the classic Kirby composers without looking, I'd be shocked, for example). And I find the failure to directly tell people who composed what in most games that have multiple composers disappointing.

And your only argument is "why is gam music not catchy enough" because you are basic, gid gud.

Well that was cute. Plz don't bother replying, I have nothing else to say. shrugs

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WoomyNNYes

@Euler No. He's slow 😠 (just messing around 😉) Oh, wow. Now, that's interesting! I could see that reddit user being right. Thanks for sharing that.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

teo_o

@ThatDancingGamer i didn't mean to mock you or to diminish your point of view, it's only that i don't find that having finished so many games is of any help to support your arguments, that are largely, i'm sorry, pretty weak. That is of course assuming that your goal is to establish that botw is objectively a bad game, which is not. on the other hand if you were just stating your opinion, which is you don't like it, that's totally fine.
I don't need to know that you've eaten thousands of muffins to believe you when you say you didn't like the last one you've eaten.

Edited on by teo_o

teo_o

Ralizah

Since this is a criticism thread: they need to improve horses in the sequel. Horses suck in this game, and they freak out if they come within five feet of uneven geometry. I pretty much just ignored horses after a while.

On the subject of music, BotW has probably my favorite OST in the series, although I'll admit I'm slightly salty the amazing trailer music wasn't really in there. I prefer gentle ambient tunes over someone blowing a trumpet in my ear for hours on end.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

Since this is a criticism thread: they need to improve horses in the sequel. Horses suck in this game, and they freak out if they come within five feet of uneven geometry. I pretty much just ignored horses after a while.

I like some of the takes of realism, but the moment it falls apart it entirely exposes the pointlessness of it all. "Hey lets make this realistic instead of basic fun, but it doesn't actually work enough to be realistic." Good plan.

I actually don't think horses have maybe ever been as useful as they should be. You always get enough ways to teleport everywhere and especially in BOTW, it feels like your encouraged to explore on your own and that lead to me getting off my horse like dozens of times just getting to the Rito area.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

teo_o

@ThatDancingGamer i politely read everything unlike others that don't have my patience, the thing is that you've started your argument with the worst of the notes saying that anyone who says botw is great doesn't play many games in general, and that would be enough to stop caring about your self entitled opinion.
i'm getting troll vibes on this sub but i'll go on anyway, who knows.
1. jump button. the first ten minutes i thought the same but then i realized it's not about the jump button being far, but it's about attack and parry being close to run. beside, the momentum carries for enough to grant you plenty of time to go over the jump button. and it's not like adding jump to a zelda game made it suddenly a platform game where you need frames per second precision to land where mean to.
2. kinda agree. i mean, i read the interviews, and apparently the team was partially inspired by Minecraft, which despite having an almost ambient like soundtrack and a straight ripoff theme from debussy's claire de lune, i liked it.
Zelda's themes are variations over variations of a common theme anyway, so of course it didn't bring anything extraordinary to the table, but i found the boss themes to be very epic.
3.1 Epona: why would it ever be a problem, as long as not having the best horse, stats wise, doesn't impede you to complete certain quests? 3.2 gallop in towns. go play gta. 3.3 clunky horse controls compared to OOT. here i got troll vibes. but i guess it's a legitimate opinion. horse calling: this i won't comment because i don't need to someone who finished as many games as you. pure BS.
5. the "RAIN AND CLIMBING THING". god, really?
6. link is not Ecco the dolphin, sounds like by the time you reached waterblight ganon you were just lacking in skills. which is fine, but it's not bad game design.
7. debatable/almost trolling argument. we are talking about the game where most people would complain about Zelda overcrying. if anything link is the real wall, and since he never even talked to begin with...are we seriously debating over the acting of a 10+ esrb rated game?
8. oh i'm sorry i didn't knew you were Miyazaki's student. my bad.
9. since it sounds like you are cherry picking, i'm not surprised you're getting bored with the game. this is actually fine.
10. i'm curious what your animation teacher would tell you about fireflies digging into the ground. it's a semplification.
STRONG TROLL VIBES AT THIS POINT.
11. BS. ever heard of shields?
12. so you ARE a troll after all.
13. BS
14. yes, kinda. whatever i guess.
15. BS
16. wow you found a bug in a first party nintendo title. YAHAHA! YOU FOUND ME!
17. so you basically just started the game and you feel ready to troll on a forum. serious trolling requires deep research my boy. a good trool must be indescernible from most, you'll find.
18. Miyazaki would agree.

teo_o

Eel

I think the horses get better once you accept they are meant to go "on rails", and stop trying to take them everywhere.

They just follow the road, and you can look around and enjoy the trip.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

OptometristLime

MS7000 wrote:

@OptometristLime I feel like your comment is assuming that everyone who dislikes something about the game hates the game which both you and I know is not true. There may be some, but not everyone and even if they do, at least they are giving the game a chance and are more confident about why they dislike/hate the game. Most of the criticisms aren't even that hard to find, so it's not like people are wasting energy finding something to complain about.

For me personally, when I criticise this game, I do it out of hope that the sequel will be even better, rather than some misguided spite to end the series. I love the Zelda series; my personal worry was that this game in its attempt to rethink Zelda conventions, removed too much of what made it Zelda in the first place.

I wasn't targeting any of your comments, in fact this was in reference to a certain user. You can pretty easily tell from phrasing when someone is looking for trouble in terms of issues in the game. There is no way to view criticism objectively when it comes through a thick lense of pent-up angst and deliberate obfuscation of the games actual mechanics. We are only beating a dead horse if the discussion was about "Hey everybody, let's argue and change minds on how to enjoy Zelda," which was not at all my intention. There is just a complete failure to be critical and fair with regards to the flaws and high points in my view. Stripping out individual systems of the game from their context, and then flaming the developers for not matching western "standards" like the Oblivions and Skyrims does completely miss the point.

Obviously there is always going to be some element of passion involved here for those of us who found this Zelda experience to be transformative.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.