Forums

Topic: Yooka-Laylee

Posts 401 to 420 of 1,090

jump

Don wrote:

Rareware must be in a sudden hurry to start working on Banjo Kazooie 3 upon hearing about this Yooka Laylee's release.

Or Microsoft farms it out to another studio like it did with Killer Instinct.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Azooooz

Congratulations to Playtonic for reaching 1,000,000 pounds! Wow, gamers really wanted a 3D platformer for so long, and Playtonic that the potential to bring it.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

JoyBoy

Now we wait..

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Dezzy

arronishere wrote:

Neither is comparing a successful kickstart for a digital game to a major game release in the first place.

Don't see why not. Are you saying people who pledge to kickstarter somehow don't represent the same gaming population? I can't think why it would be any different. In which case, the relative success of the kickstarter could surely be roughly translated to the hypothetical success of the retail release.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Electricmastro

Is this actually the first Kickstarter to reach $1 million in a day?

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

UGXwolf

Dezzy wrote:

arronishere wrote:

Neither is comparing a successful kickstart for a digital game to a major game release in the first place.

Don't see why not. Are you saying people who pledge to kickstarter somehow don't represent the same gaming population? I can't think why it would be any different. In which case, the relative success of the kickstarter could surely be roughly translated to the hypothetical success of the retail release.

Oh, ger, I don't know, maybe because the game doesn't come out for another year and a half. The number of people willing to put money down for a game that isn't even coming anytime this year doesn't well represent the number of people willing to buy the game when it comes out. Not only is it much, much smaller, but the interests and needs of the Kickstarter crowd do not match the interests and needs of the greater gaming audience.

On top of this, Yooka-Laylee is circulating primarily by word of mouth. EA games have a budget set aside strictly for advertising. Yooka-Laylee can afford the support of anyone that stumbles across it and decides to spread the word. Activision can afford the support of mass gaming media, magazines, TV, movies, other gaming companies and E3. 25,000 backers in the first day tells us little more than that 25,000 people were excited enough for this to put money on it long before it's even a finished product.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Octane

Electricmastro wrote:

Is this actually the first Kickstarter to reach $1 million in a day?

Probably not.

Octane

Nintendo6400

You what would be awesome? If Donkey Kong guest stared in the game.

Similar to shovel knight having kratos.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

Dezzy

UGXwolf wrote:

Oh, ger, I don't know, maybe because the game doesn't come out for another year and a half. The number of people willing to put money down for a game that isn't even coming anytime this year doesn't well represent the number of people willing to buy the game when it comes out.

That's what I was implicitly trying to suggest. Of course the numbers aren't the same. But the relative numbers might be. This is one of the most successful kickstarters we've ever seen. Therefore maybe it would translate to equally good sales figures assuming the final product is of the same quality as the preview info.
Not saying it'd rival the AAA stuff cos as you say, that's build on layers upon layers of big budget marketing. But it seems fair to assume it'd do well for an indie. Like Shovel Knight kinda success at least.

Inkling

What if the game turns out not-so-good? I bet that'll cause riots

I'm joking. I have full confidence that this game will be brilliant.

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

NinjaWaddleDee

I'm really happy they decided to not use Banjo or Kazooie for this game (i know they weren't allowed to anyway) it lets new people get introduced to it without having to play the older games.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

jump

Dezzy wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Oh, ger, I don't know, maybe because the game doesn't come out for another year and a half. The number of people willing to put money down for a game that isn't even coming anytime this year doesn't well represent the number of people willing to buy the game when it comes out.

That's what I was implicitly trying to suggest. Of course the numbers aren't the same. But the relative numbers might be. This is one of the most successful kickstarters we've ever seen. Therefore maybe it would translate to equally good sales figures assuming the final product is of the same quality as the preview info.
Not saying it'd rival the AAA stuff cos as you say, that's build on layers upon layers of big budget marketing. But it seems fair to assume it'd do well for an indie. Like Shovel Knight kinda success at least.

For an indie sure, but this got started because the talk was about major publishers not making this game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Inkling wrote:

What if the game turns out not-so-good? I bet that'll cause riots

I'm joking. I have full confidence that this game will be brilliant.

You joke but we might just see what happens when a successful kickstarter turns out like that with Mighty No. 9 this September. Hopefully not.

You mean like Ouya?

Nicolai wrote:

Dezzy

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

You joke but we might just see what happens when a successful kickstarter turns out like that with Mighty No. 9 this September. Hopefully not.

Well the problem there is that game looks considerably worse than its concept art did and doesn't look like a $3 million game by a long shot.
At least with this, you're being shown gameplay ahead of time. As I think all kickstarters should!

arronishere wrote:

You mean like the pre-hype of Snakes On A Planes where the studio saw loads of movie forums people getting excited and then built it for them only for it to fail expectations that hype built since a relatively small amount of people on the internet isn't the same as the general public?

That's quite a bad analogy though because you're comparing talking about something that's quite clickbaity with actually going out to a cinema VS paying for something whilst sat at your computer screen with paying for something else whilst sat at your computer screen. It seems to me that unless you have a reason to suspect kickstarter backers are somehow unrepresentative of the general population, the assumption should be that that popularity will scale (assuming the final product is similar to the pitch)

Edited on by Dezzy

dok5555555

Sorry if this was asked already, there's a lot of posts. Is the ToyBox "demo" for PC given to you right away if you pledge for it in the kickstarter or is it releasing some time later in the future?

dok5555555

Electricmastro

There really hasn't been a great, original 3D platformer since 2005's Psychonauts in all honesty. Every other major 3D platfomer to have come out since then is part of already established franchise, such as Mario, Ratchet & Clank, and Sly Cooper. It's nice to see original, fresh games of this genre becoming popular again, along with A Hat in Time.

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Dezzy

arronishere wrote:

You're still streching dozens of thousands into hundreds of thousands besides you talking about target audiences, Snakes had feed back and hype from it's target audience of movie fans just like this has it's niche target audience and didn't I already mention Ouya.

What's wrong with stretching dozens of thousands into hundreds of thousands? That's pretty much the basis of all random sampling. You can easily work out how big a sample size you need to get the representative rate: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm#one
It's surprisingly tiny. Which is why most polls that try to represent an entire country only poll about 3000 people. It's all you need to do, everything after that is pointless.

RedDevilAde

Extrapolating from pledges so far they should be making stretch goals for £25-26 million.

Untitled

Edited on by RedDevilAde

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

ricklongo

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Octane wrote:

Plateface wrote:

No amiibo support? Physical console release?

Would love a physical release as well, but it's not something they could easily set as a stretch goal, because it all depends on whether they can find a suitable publisher or not.

Also Wii U wouldn't get it because region locking which in turn would unintentionally give the "another developer that hates supporting Wii U" impression.

Uh, what does region locking has to do with anything? Wii U is getting a physical release for Mighty No. 9, which is a similar Kickstarter success history, and at the same time as the other platforms.

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic