Forums

Topic: Yooka-Laylee

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,090

Oswinner

Picked both games up for peanuts a month or two (£8.74 and £9.99) and the best purchases I have made on Switch. These games are so underrated.

I completed Yooka-Laylee last month. Loved it. I miss good old fashioned 3D platforming. Will need to give A Hat in Time a play.

Just started Impossible Lair last night. Great 2D game. The more I play it, the more I’m liking it.

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

gcunit

I just don't understand how the original Yooka-Laylee got a general physical Xbox One and PS4 release but only a Limited Run release on Switch, and yet they're prepared to let the Impossible Lair sell physically for as cheaply was it does. Surely Switch is the most popular and appropriate platform for the game? I have the PS4 physical (bought new for under £10) but I'd so much rather pay £20-25 for the Switch version.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

rallydefault

@gcunit
Yea, that ticked me off when the first game was eShop only for quite some time. It takes up a good chunk of space, too. Totally would've gotten a physical release if they offered it initially. I hate these games that only go physical a few months down the road. And I'm not somebody who will re-buy a game. Ever. lol

@Oswinner
Impossible Lair all the way for me. I did like the original, but it was definitely rough around the edges for me. The camera even with the improvements they made was a little rough. I felt some of the hit detection was a bit off, which can really jank up a platformer. I feel like Impossible Lair was the developers really figuring out their skills, and I hope they take what they learned and make an awesome 3D Yooka Laylee 2.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Oswinner

TheLightSpirit wrote:

@Oswinner Good luck beating the Impossible Lair the normal way, it's a huge difficulty spike. If you die even once you have to start all over again from the beginning.

I was confused why there was a ‘not so impossible lair’ to go with the ‘impossible lair’.

Seems they added the not so impossible lair afterwards, to add checkpoints and stuff. Whilst they kept the impossible lair with no checkpoints.

Anywho, loving this game so far. About 8 chapters in and I’ve just spent the last hour or so messing about with the graphic tonics lol. I completed the 2nd level in GB colour and resolution mode which was just bizarre lol.

Seems slower FPS with some of them? Is this intentional? Like, is black and white movie tonic set to a 24-FPS instead? Or is it unintentional and just the normal graphics run at 60-FPS?

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

rallydefault

Wait, they added checkpoints to the impossible lair? Was that a patch or something? I played/beat it like right at release, and I failed the impossible lair a few times and I don't remember any checkpoints.

rallydefault

Oswinner

@rallydefault yeah. Checkpoints have been added. It’s called the ‘Not So Impossible Lair’.

And all I can say after today’s gaming is...

WOW!

Currently playing through SMB3, DKC2 and the Impossible Lair for the first time over the last few days and Impossible Lair is the best of the three. It’s DKC on crack. Seriously, how is this game only scoring 7.9 with Nintendo Life’s users? It’s insanely good. Best game I have played so far on Switch.

Got 18 bees so far I think. Only played 11 chapters but I’ve been replaying them loads in different tonics trying to get all 5 coins. Some genius levels.

Halfway through each game and my early thoughts are;

1: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
2: Donkey Kong Country 2
3: Super Mario Bros 3

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

Oswinner

Ps, Yooka has now done Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country. For their next game I’d love for them to do a Metroidvania. Bring it on.

Oswinner

jump

@Oswinner If they are doing old Rare games then they would probably skip Metroidvania since they never did one back in the day. There's Diddy Kong Raching's mascot racer, Perfect Dark/Goldeneye's FPS, Killer Instinct's fighting and Battletaods's beat 'em up left from their notable games.

Personally I'm not sure what I'd like to see them do with Yooka Laylee next. I didn't like the first one as much as I wanted to so maybe they give the 3D collectathon another try to take it up a level.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Oswinner

@jump a Diddy Kong racer would be quite cool. You could have Capital B as the big bad heavyweight, Laylee would be ultra lightweight and Yooka could be the middleweight. I’d love to race as Kartos lol. Then you’ve got Rextro. Could have races where Honey slows you down and the power ups come in Tonics. Maybe halfway through the race someone shoots a game boy colour/res tonic and you have to race in game boy style.

However, I know Rare didn’t create a Metroidvania but after playing Hollow Knight and Ori, I would love it if they did a big wide open 2D world with the platforming elements from Impossible Lair. Think it would be splendiferous.

Oswinner

jump

The Impossible Lair’s loading times are so annoying, I just want to play a quick level or two. Argh!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Oswinner

@jump haha. Which levels are you playing? I’m up to 40/48 bees atm. Favourite level?

Oswinner

jump

@Oswinner Hmm...Alot of them aren't fresh in my head as I played it properly a year or so ago but I remember really liking the the sticky factory level. What's yours?

Nicolai wrote:

Oswinner

@jump think that may be Sawblade Evade - Stuck? Very DKC2. Good level.

I really like the normal Sawblade Evade and enjoy the Production Path and Production Path - Panic combo.

Oswinner

jump

@Oswinner I hated (in a good way) Panic Production Path, I've not even completed it properly as I found the secret exit mid way through. I really need to try it again soon if I want to 100%.

Nicolai wrote:

Oswinner

@jump funnily enough about an hour ago I just got the last coin on that level. Playing through with speed tonics is good fun on that level.

I haven’t defeated Capital B in the lair yet. However, I’ve currently got 43/48 bees and 171/200 coins. Think I’ll leave the lair until I get all bees and coins. I’m not normally a completionist (only got 101/140 pagies in Yooka-Laylee) but it just feels right to collect them all in this game before taking on the lair, especially the bees.

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

jump

@Oswinner You got alot further in Yooka Laylee than I did, I gave up about half way through. What's annoying is I was a kickstarter backer so I could have seen myself in the end game credits if I did complete it.

Nicolai wrote:

dionysos283

Since Y-L and the Impossible Lair was pretty successful, do you guys think we'll get a sequel? Or will they do a completely different game, running the risk of poor sales?

dionysos283

jump

@dionysos283 It was talked about at the top of the page already ;p

I'm not sure where they go next. Given how proflic Rare were back in the game they could be jumping to any number of genres if they wanted to. A beat 'em up or kart racer are possible if it's to mirror the success of their old games like Battletoads or Diddy Kong Racing which Yooka Laylee could fit into. I'm in two minds if I want them to do a 3D platformer again, I wasn't that keen on the first one but maybe it's a chance for them to get it right/better this time, perhaps a focus on platforming and action more so than collecting is the way forward.

Also their next aim seems to becoming a publisher more so than just a developer. Demon Turf which they are releasing looks really cool.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Balta666 The first game? Yeah I played it after it launched and was a fan of Banjo, Mario 64 etc back in the day but I still didn't love it. The first level was good but I didn't enjoy the others, not bad and better than some other throwbacks collectathons but it didn't meet my (too high) expectations.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic