Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,061 to 3,080 of 3,493

GFoyle

Coming soon I believe, we have been just discussing about subject in discord (adult switch gamers).

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Corneel

After a short break the high score challenge is back and bigger than ever! We decided upon a new format to keep things fresh...

Welcome to season 1 of the high score challenge!!

This season will go on for five months. Each month there are four challenges to compete in. Pick the challenge you like most and go all out with that one, or spread your chances and do multiple challenges during that month. In each challenge you can get ten points. At the end of each month we will have a leaderboard with the combined scores for that month and at the end of the season we'll combine the scores and see who our top players are.

The challenges are divided into two categories. First we have the good old high score challenges. This is where you compete for a top spot on the leaderboards. The top 10 players get awarded with points. Top player 10 points, runner up 9 points etc. Your submitted score will also be placed on our leaderboards for bragging rights. If the challenge ever comes back...you will have to first beat your previous highscore before you can start earning points during that challenge.

Secondly we have the survival challenges. This is a bit more casual and the focus here is on getting as far in the game as you can without worrying about your highscore. Points will be awarded based on certain goals. This will change for each game.

If you want to participate in one or multiple challenges, all you need to do is post your screenshot in this thread and you will get on the leaderboards. You can also have a look at the Adult Switch Gamers Discord where we have our own little arcade corner.

Enough talk, let's start!

Edited on by Corneel

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

Corneel

Season one | month one | starts today! | ends 16th of Februari 23:59 CET

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

High score challenge 1 | Aero Fighters 2 | High score mode
Known in Japan as Sonic Wings 2. This game was originally released in 1994 by Video System. Ten levels of shmup goodness awaits you and if you somehow beat the final boss, a new loop starts but at a higher difficulty. Aero Fighters 2 is available on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One as part of the ACA Neo Geo series. Just post a screenshot of your score on the in-game leaderboard.

High score challenge 2 | Pac-Man | High score
Released in Japan as Puck Man in 1980, this game needs no introduction. This is the game everybody has played, so there is no excuse not to participate in the one. Available on Switch as part of the Namco Museum and Namco Museum Arcade Pac. Just post a screenshot of your score on the in-game leaderboard.

Survival challenge 1 | Gunbird | Default settings (3 lives, 2 continues, normal difficulty)
Of course we need a Psikyo game during this challenge, but these can be quite difficult. Before the inevitable high score challenge, let's first try and beat the game. There are seven levels (and a loop afterwards) and points will be awarded according to how far you get. A total of ten points are up for grabs. This game is available on Switch. Just take a screenshot when you see game over, it will show how far you got.

1 point - reach level 3
2 points - reach level 4
3 points - reach level 4 boss
4 points - reach level 5
5 points - reach level 5 boss
6 points - reach level 6
7 points - reach level 6 boss (fish, skull and dragon)
8 points - reach level 7
9 points - reach level 7 boss (flying cat gremlin)
10 points - beat the final boss

Survival challenge 2 | Metal Slug | Complete the game using a total of 5 continues.
Metal Slug is a difficult game. For most players to reach the end it will take a lot of continues. For this challenge you get 5 continues. Just boot up the ACA Neo Geo or any other version with default settings and once the game starts hit the credits button five times so it shows 5 credits at the bottom of the screen. Then start playing until you have no more lives left. Take a screenshot once get get the continue/game over screen. This will show how far you got.

1 point - reach level 2
2 points - reach level 3
3 points - reach level 3 boss
4 points - reach level 4
5 points - reach level 4 boss
6 points - reach level 5
7 points - reach level 5 boss
8 points - reach level 6
9 points - reach level 6 boss
10 points - beat the game

Edited on by Corneel

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Wiii

And I have 3 of the 4 suggested games! Are all the challenges running at once?

One question, though: how will people know 10 credits have been used? I mean we can capture the screen where 10 credits have been added, but after that we could just lie. We could add more, we could finish the game in another run, etc.

Another one: in Aero Fighters 2 it's High-score mode, right?

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Corneel

Moroboshi876 wrote:

@Corneel Wiii

And I have 3 of the 4 suggested games! Are all the challenges running at once?

One question, though: how will people know 10 credits have been used? I mean we can capture the screen where 10 credits have been added, but after that we could just lie. We could add more, we could finish the game in another run, etc.

Another one: in Aero Fighters 2 it's High-score mode, right?

They are all running at once. Just pick the one(s) you like for this month. Next month we will have four new challenges.

There is no way of knowing how many continues where used or even if the difficulty has been altered. It's all based on trust. Cool kids don't cheat

Aero Fighters 2 is the high score mode yes

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Thanks! I'll try it with all 3 games I have. And of course I won't cheat. I just don't like to lie to myself.

RetroGamerAndrew

@Corneel thanks for putting it down in words, excellent work!

I'm down for this one! Everyone be warned, we'll probably be tweaking the finer details of the competition, including format and scoring system: we will update the rules and let you know in case.

It would be cool if everyone planning to take part to the competition would let us know it by posting either here or on the relevant channel on Adult Switch Gamers discord server (link below).
If you want to chat about the competition or get the latest updates I STRONGLY suggest you to join us on Adult Switch Gamer's discord server: https://discord.gg/rffzRvh

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Zkibu

@Corneel Thanks for bringing it Back! Absolutely in for most of the challenges

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

riccyjay

@Corneel Excellent! Thanks guys for bringing this back. I will definitely be giving it a go on the two shmups this month since I already have them.

By the way, I had to switch accounts when NSO came out so I have a new friend code. I'll try and add those I had previously - or you can add me.

Cheers!

SW-4616-4310-4138

Corneel

@Zkibu, great! Thanks for joining!
@riccyjay, thanks for joining again! I'll add you on the Switch later today. Looking forward to seeing your Aero Fighters 2 score and how far you got in Gunbird.

There is a slight alteration in the Gunbird score system. You need to get at least to stage three before being awarded points. From stage five and later stages, using a continue will take you back to the beginning of the stage and it will become more difficult to progress from that point on.

Edited on by Corneel

Corneel

@Zkibu That's actually a pretty good score already. The game gets more fun after you have your patterns down and can do the first few minutes on autopilot. I'm at 35770 right now.

Zkibu

@Corneel That is true. Pac-Man is all about remembering the three different patterns, quick reflexes and little bit of improvisation in the end. Really addictive once it clicks.

Zkibu

Moroboshi876

Corneel wrote:

@Zkibu It's very addictive. I actually never got into Pac-Man, but after reading a bit about the strategies, indeed it just clicks and it's impossible to put down.

For those who want to know more about the different patterns, on this site they are explained:
http://www.classicgaming.cc/classics/pac-man/play-guide

I'll look into it, because I like Pac-man but I always improvise. I've always thought I would be incapable of remembering patterns. So I never make it into 2 digits...

Moroboshi876

@Corneel I've looked into it and I think I can memorize the first two, but the third is so convoluted... Thanks!

Zkibu

@Corneel Thanks those are really invaluable
@Moroboshi876 I know what you mean. The third is quite complex.

Zkibu

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic