Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 3,493

DashKappei

Damn I regret that I didn’t have much time to play besides that hour first day I bought it. Problem is that with my life I need to play portable and the rapid fire mechanic killing my already nibelsnarfed up hands meant I had to play this one docked if I wanted to be decent at it... I’m trying now to set-up a new score (portable again) but I’m already getting cramps after 10 minutes. Either way, incredible scores all around guys and even if I haven’t played much, I sure followed your achievements!

Will be in on the next one too!
Aero Fighters 2 would be cool, it’s a heck of a game...

Edit:
@GrailUK well done mate!!
Also, great minds think alike haha, good choice on AF2!!

Edited on by Joeynator3000

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

Shiryu

... I'm gonna pull a Billy Mitchell, fashionably late VHS tape for your consideration.

Played in Docked mode (only way to capture video) with N30 Arcade Stick from 8Bitdo (neither Joy Con nor Pro Controller were efficient to maintain that quick fire rate).
Hopefully I will have more free time in the next events.

Edited on by Shiryu

"No Surrender, No Retreat."

Nintendo Network ID: Shiryu | Twitter:

OorWullie

@GrailUK Congratulations mate, unbelievable score. I was sure masterLEONS score was going to be untouchable.

I've opened the new tournament with your requested game. Great choice.

Well played everyone, that was a lot of fun . Really happy it took off. I think we can declare it a huge success.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

masterLEON

@OorWullie There was definitely room for improvement in my run. But I ran out of time to improve on it. @Meppi then @GrailUK ran away with it in the end. Congats, Grail! It's a well deserved victory!

@DashKappei @Shiryu @Qualitybeats @Meppi So you guys are using regular shots as opposed to charge shots? Do you use both the trigger and face buttons?

@RetroGamerAndrew Docked and Pro Controller using the left stick. I plan to put in my order for my HORI stick next week.

Phenomenal efforts by everyone! (I'll post up my run when I get home from work) Hope to see lots of Dolphin pilots this week!

Edited on by masterLEON

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

Joeynator3000

@DashKappei watch the profanity please...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

GrailUK

Here's to Nlife owning the next leader board!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

RetroGamerAndrew

@GrailUK grats mate, great score! Love the choice of AF2 btw... So classic!

Congratulations everybody! On to the AF2 leaderboard now!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

wasilewski

Congratulations everyone and to @GrailUK for being top on the leaderboard.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Lroy

@OorWullie Thanks for updating the final standings. Any chance you can correct the number before my name from (9) to (5). Worked hard to get up there, lol!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Lroy

@OorWullie Thank you mate. I've just checked where I am on AERO FIGHTERS 2 Caravan leaderboard. Yikes! This week's challenge is going to be really tough.

masterLEON

Here you go, Charge Shot Style!

I just downloaded Sengoku/Samurai Aces and Aero Fighters 2 so I'll be messing around for a few hours before going to sleep. (Got out of work early for a change, amazing!)

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

GrailUK

@Lroy Play aggressive! As a general rule, things tend to devalue as they travel down the screen, so shoot / collect stuff asap

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Lroy

@masterLEON Awesome video. Never knew there were so many destructible surfaces on level 1 nor that trick with the popcorn worms on level 2. Great score.

RetroGamerAndrew

@masterLEON Pristine play mate!
That's the big difference between you and me... I also knew all the destructible surfaces to shoot, but I almost never managed to pull off those pixel-perfect shots you're showing us in your video - especially in the corridor just after the two glowing reactors. Man how many times I died trying to destroy the floor and the ceiling with a single shot
By the way, don't know if you're aware of that, but the surfaces UNDER the shooting domes (00:47/00:49) can be destroyed with a charged shot and they grant you 1k each (if I recall correctly)... if you don't die trying to get at close range COUGH like me COUGH

Anyway, let's move on
Did a couple of random runs on AF2 tonight around 2:00AM italian time and managed to pull off a quite unimpressive 330k-ish score with Hi-En (the ninja dude). Still a little rusty and not quite as reactive as I used to be in my 20ies

GLHF everyone

RetroGamerAndrew

Shiryu

@masterLEON You will notice I made a mistake near the final seconds of the video: I should have stopped using rapid fire and use charge shot to clear those spider/roaches/nightmare fuel big creatures on stage 2. Sadly it was already super late despite only having played for 30 minutes and 3 sessions, I consider that the best run of the evening.

I will update my post with my weapon of choice: 8bitdo N30 Arcade Stick. I was unable to maintain a steady rapid fire with both the (tiny) Joycon and even the Pro Controller. It will be my weapon of choice for future challenges.

"No Surrender, No Retreat."

Nintendo Network ID: Shiryu | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

@Shiryu that's a really good stick!
I would have bought it myself if I'd not managed to adapt my HORI RAP4 KAI to work on my switch.
I did a couple of runs with it on Pulstar, and while I loved the proprietary Hayabusa buttons (they're super sensitive) there was something about the Hayabusa stick that I didn't like. Don't know if it has something to do with the square restrictor plate or the sensitivity/throw of the joystick (by the way, it works wonder with classical fighting games), so I've stuck to dual joycons.
Now that I think about it I've got a wonderful 8bitdo SF30 (not PRO) that I should definitely test with this kind of SHMUPS, sooner or later.

RetroGamerAndrew

masterLEON

@RetroGamerAndrew No, I didn't know about those panels. Thank you! But now we're looking at one fully charged shot and grazing the panel with the Voyager before traveling to the opposite side to do the same. There's barely enough time as it is! Or, skip as few of the green enemies when they fly out (they're only worth 30 points/ea.) and tear up those panels. Like most panels, they're actually 400 points/ea. I think when you noticed they're about 1k, it could have been the panel, the launcher (my name for them; 200 points, I think), and the corner of the platform next to the launcher, 400 points.

@Shiryu Those bugs are so bullet spongy! I was wondering why you were regular shooting them instead of charge shooting. I guess that answers it, lol!

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic