Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 3,493

AgentLA

@masterLEON

Well done!!! That’s a heck of a score!!!

Edited on by AgentLA

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

AgentLA

@OorWullie

Thanks again for organizing and taking care of this. This is very cool!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

masterLEON wrote:

@RetroGamerAndrew I restarted for every little nitpick, not just deaths, for 3 hours yesterday. Probably saw the 2nd stage a total of 5 times in that period. Shortly after I said, "Ah, whatever happens, happens." I end up getting my score, lol. Sometimes it helps to take a step back, or loosen up the restrictions we put on ourselves, at times like this.

Yeah, did the same yesterday for an hour... think I managed to get to level 2 once or twice and died miserably at 3/4 of it. It was 2 A.M. and once tiredness and stress kick in it's time to let it go, or at least take a break. Might give it a shot again today on the train back home from work.

Btw how are you guys playing it? Docked, tabletop or portable? If docked, do you use joycons, controller or an arcade stick? I'm just curious, I play 99% on portable mode (that's why I bought my Switch in first place), tried a couple of runs yesterday with my HORI RAP4KAI but I'm not used to it anymore, so I got back to portable mode

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

meppi64

@RetroGamerAndrew I go between portable and docked depending on the circumstances.
If I'm getting really tired, I take the Switch with me to bed so I can play a bit till I feel I'm about to fall asleep.
I've been home sick for a couple of months now (over exhaustion/burnout/stress in whatever combination you can think of), and since it's winter, I haven't taken my system anywhere with me in a while.
So I mostly play on the big screen nowadays and when I do, I prefer my arcade stick as that's what feels natural to me as I grew up in a small pub with an arcade cabinet back in the day starting around 1979/1980.
So it just feels right to me.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

OorWullie

I've been playing mostly docked or tabletop mode with the Pro with some handheld mixed in. My highest scores have been set while playing docked though.

Going to give it one last push to try and climb a couple of places. I know I've got a 150k+ in me because I've already done it, if not for that pesky start button.

I've updated the leaderboard with the current standings. The next update will be the final one. I feel bad including @Shiryu on there as he's not had time to play it.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/the_offici...

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

RetroGamerAndrew

Baby steps...

Untitled

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

AgentLA

@RetroGamerAndrew

All handheld tor me. I’m in LA and will be hitting up again on my lunch break.

GrailUK

I am reasonably confident that it's possible to hit 180k.
I think it is a mistake to bomb the end of level 1 boss. It is much better to duke the snake downwards, then slam the voyager into the weakspot (making sure you avoid the green lasers) and hit it with 2 charged shots. That way, on level 2, you can earn the Break laser early on which is probably the best weapon for getting the most kills (like in level 1 where you kill the hangers after all the ships have flown out). This lets you destroy the 8 way spread worms from those balls that explode (you earn more points that way than killing them before they burst) and you can destroy the segments on the yellow worms before shooting it in the head for maximum points. I made the mistake of twigging my score with about 10 seconds to go and I went to jelly lol.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

AgentLA

I did one last run and I’m up to 147,750, (Frenchie) good for 10th on the overall leaderboard. I was hoping to crack 150,000, but it is not to be. It’s getting near midnight in London so that is that.

https://i.imgur.com/w3U5PX1.jpg

Edited on by AgentLA

meppi64

@GrailUK
Well with a score like that, I'm not going to argue with you, that's for sure! ;P
(Although I thought it said 190.000 before. )

Been playing to try and beat masterLEON's score and after a good hour or so, I finally did.
I upload my score and see that it doesn't matter anymore as there's a brand new one there, out of my reach...
Untitled

I see that I've been using the wrong tactic on those balls. I've been trying to shoot them all down before they hatch. hmm
One thing I'm wondering though, the first yellow worm you come across, is it possible to shoot all of it's parts and then destroy it? Because it's gone so quickly.
I've not been able to at least. I try to destroy as many parts as possible and then he's gone.

The highest score I've been able to reach at the end of level one can also be seen above.
There certainly are a couple of parts that can be improved as far as I'm aware of, but it requires perfect execution of some damn hard shots that need pixel perfect aiming since you only have one shot at it before needing to move on to something else. Really tough.

I know I'll come back to this mode again in the future, but for today, I think I'm done. lol

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

GrailUK

@meppi64 It did say 190k...but I can see it...I'm just not good enough to do it. That first worm, go through the gap with the fighters and aim to go top right (but don't crash into the vegetation.) Hover there destroying the segments on its way down then follow it down and mash your plasma shield to finish it off. (I strongly suggest you avoid the power up immediately after it too!)

Edited on by GrailUK

meppi64

@GrailUK
Let's just aim for 180.000 for now and pretend that's the highest possible score.

meppi64

GrailUK

@meppi64 editied with worm tactics

meppi64

@GrailUK
Wow that sounds really tough!
Gonna have to give it a try tomorrow or during the weekend.
Just started playing Fatal Fury 3 to unwind a bit after focussing so much on Pulstar. I'm actually exhausted now. lol
Such a gorgeous game it is btw. It's one of the Fatal Fury games that I actually never played before, or even saw for that matter.
The soundtrack is sublime and the sprite work is breathtaking.
I wish everyone was still making 2D games like this, at least once in a while. They simply don't age at all.

meppi64

Lroy

Managed to improve my score but 150, 000 still alludes me. I'm currently 11th on the Global Leaderboard with 147, 070.

On one run I managed to finish the first level with over 70, 000 but then lost all three lives on the second level. No idea what I had done differently on that first level to get that score.

I think this ends at midnight, so will keep going for last 40mins to see if I can crack that 150, 000 bracket. After all, I never really thought I'd manage to get 140, 000 before today, lol!

Good luck all and well done on those phenomenal top of the leaderboard scores. Insane skills.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Qualitybeats

It was a fun run. Excited to see what games next. My button arm is dead, and I’m gone need a nice light next few days. It was really fun trying to understand the scoring system and break down my replays to try to beat that high score, but I physically couldn’t mash that A button anymore.

On to the next one.
Expect some video replays from me on these next runs. I’d love to tighten up the competition and give some of you who struggle a bit some footage to maybe learn from and study.

Congrats Grail

OneHeartLeft on YouTube

Switch Friend Code: SW-3372-2967-0798 | Twitter:

GrailUK

@Qualitybeats Congratulate me when the Mustard Man calls it There is still 30 mins to go and I bet someone will have an adrenaline fuelled burst of inspiration!

Lroy

Yes. Achieved my own little miracle and just managed a score of 151, 110. Putting me currently 7th on the Global Leaderboards and fingers crossed enough to secure a Top 5 finish in our community leaderboard.

The only thing I can think of that was different on this run was that I got further into the second level than many other attempts. I don't recall finishing the level 1 boss significantly quicker than other occasions. But hey, I'm just happy I managed to hit my own personal target on this one.

Have absolutely adored PULSTAR and can thank you fine folk for that.

Massive congrats to our winner and to all who took part in our first ever weekly high score challenge.

Edited on by Lroy

GrailUK

Pulstar was so much fun. Great job by everyone who played this week. If we can continue to set each other targets to aim for, it will make everyone of us better players. If I hold on to the top spot at the end, I think we should go vertical next, so my vote goes to Aero Fighters 2.

Lroy

@GrailUK It's gone 11:59pm UK time, so I believe that does indeed mean you are our worthy winner. Well done on such a stellar score and I'd imagine many folk will be relishing your choice for the next weekly challenge. AERO FIGHTERS aka 'Sonic Wings' is a terrific series and these vertical shooters are a great deal of fun to play. Nice one πŸ‘

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic