Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 3,493

meppi64

@OorWullie Oh, you'll get these soon enough, I'm positive of that.
Haven't played it in vertical mode yet, but I also turned off wide mode.
After all a vertical shooter should be vertical, unless designed for a normal screen setup like Mars Matrix or Giga Wing.

And yeah, the spread shot is good for taking out large amounts of smaller ships, but the laser should do more damage. Not sure if that's the way all of them work as I haven't unlocked everything yet. But that's what makes sense anyway.
Just like in Dodonpachi, shooting the laser beam makes your ship move slower and thus easier to dodge between bullets, while using your normal shot makes you move just as fast as if you're not shooting.
Which is good for when you're getting overwhelmed by a cluster of bullets.
So switching between the two fire modes is key to avoiding enemy fire and weaving in and out of enemy fire patterns.

Also, turn off the automatic triggering of Trance mode. You'll need that to help you survive bosses since it's basically an extra chargeable bomb that neutralises enemy bullets.
And having it on manual also helps you with finding ideal spots to trigger it in a level to take out as much at once as possible, thus maximising gems and in the process points.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Rogueleader76

Ok you guys are good, I got 697,513 for my first try

PSN: rogueleader76

Rogueleader76

How do you post screen shots on here?

PSN: rogueleader76

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 nice one mate! My top atm is 40mil-ish, I'm pretty good till third boss where I usually get ripped to pieces.
DU3 is an amazing game. I'm totally in love with Blankfield's soundtrack... It's just perfect, I could even think about buying it someday (the only game OST I've ever bought till now is Hotline Miami). And I'm not even the greatest fan of that alt-metal genre!

GLHF everyone

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

OorWullie

@darthstuey We've had it going for 6 weeks now. We've playing Hamster Neo Geo game's Caravan Mode and setting the leaderboards alight

This week we're having a break from the norm and playing Danmaku Unlimited 3,chosen by the Metal Slug champ @RetroGamerAndrew. Here are the leaderboards

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/the_offici...

Would be great to have you on board. We've had 3 new members join this past week or 2.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

RetroGamerAndrew

@Rogueleader76 you can upload it to Tinypic and share the link, or even upload it to your Facebook/Twitter right from your Switch (and link your picture here, likewise)

RetroGamerAndrew

OorWullie

Really starting to get the appeal of Danmaku Unlimited 3 now. I'm still piss poor at it but I'll get there. Need to learn how the scoring works as I scored 2.5 million but died on the 2nd stage, where last go I made it to the mid boss on stage 3 and only scored 1.5m.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

meppi64

@OorWullie I'll have to get deeper into it myself, but the secret most likely lies in grazing as close as possible next to enemy bullets, this relates to the combo meter on the left.
Grazing bullets also fills up your Trance Meter, once you unleash Trance Mode, everything you destroy turns to gems.
The bullets from the enemies you destroy also turn to gems during Trance Mode.
When shooting down enemies in normal play, their bullets turn to ghost bullets which can be flown through without taking damage, but they do count towards your combo meter as well as your Trance Gauge.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@Rogueleader76 welcome aboard mate, well done

RetroGamerAndrew

OorWullie

@meppi64 Cheers for the tips. About the wide mode, the display is still vertical but it adds a little onto each side making it slightly wider. Either that or it is stretching it slightly, not sure.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

masterLEON

An important tip, you can also graze the blue 'ghost' bullets. And for some reason, the ghost bullets seem to charge the graze meter faster from what I can tell. Good luck everyone!

@Rogueleader76 Welcome aboard, and great start! Keep it up!

@meppi64 @wasilewski Yup, easy 5,000 points.

meppi64 wrote:

I really should get a capture card one of these days...
Are there stand alone capture cards that don't need a PC or something?
I've only got a Mac, so I'm not sure if that would work out well.

I'm on a mac, too. A 2012 Mac Mini with Quad-Core 2.3 GHz i7. As for a standalone solution, I know there's the Hauppauge HDPVR Rocket, but it seems to be Windows only (which you'd need to connect to a PC just to change the standalone settings). Once it's set up, though, you can probably keep using it indefinitely.

I'm using the old Elgato Game Capture HD that supports analog connections, but is also discontinued. My recordings are capped at 720p 60FPS, which is fine because I target mobile devices anyway. However, I'm also using a separate external RAID ready hard drive enclosure with 2 SSD drives just for recording (not 100% necessary, but it pretty much eradicates the chance of dropped frames for me), and the output is going to my Plasma TV. The Elgato software is the easiest to use that I know of, though there's some quirks (sometimes there's bloated file sizes).

I could tell you more if you're interested. But bare minimum for most non-standalone setups should be 1 computer, 1 capture device, an external drive (or internal SSD, if need be; SSDs all around, if possible), one screen to monitor the software (or laptop screen if that's what it is), and one screen to play the game.

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

RetroGamerAndrew

@masterLEON really you can graze the ghost bullets? So you can both graze and collect them? Well thats something I'm definitely going to try, thanks for the insight.

Sometimes I think it would be cool to record a run but as I can see there's too much gear involved... And I barely use my dock and tv, even at home lol

RetroGamerAndrew

darthstuey

@OorWullie it sounds great and I’ll try my best to keep up to date with it- I’m very busy with bloodborne when I’m not at work at the moment. But if you guys have a game I’ve got, I’ll try my best. Can’t say I’ll be setting any leaderboard alight mind. Although if I do say so myself, I did have my high score for donkey kong published in Nintendo magazine back in the Wii days. True story.

darthstuey

Twitter:

masterLEON

@RetroGamerAndrew Hopefully Nintendo's working on expanding that Switch gameplay recording feature at some point.

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

GrailUK

@darthstuey Welcome aboard Darth.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

mauhlin12

Untitled Hi I'm new! I wish I had known about this weekly challenge earlier as I already own most of the games that you guys have been playing. Anyway here's my best for now hopefully I'll do better later this week. I like shmups, but I've never been good at them. GLHF all!

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic