Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,021 to 3,040 of 70,082

Therad

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@skywake

The internet allows news to spread faster than it did in the '90s, but I think most gamers still need to know what the NX does before they buy an NX console. Given Nintendo's current reputation in the video game industry, it is especially important that gamers are convinced that the NX is a console worth paying their hard-earned $200 USD for. That's not a question of patience, but acknowledging that video game consoles don't sell themselves and require sufficient marketing and advertising, and changing a long-standing reputation about Nintendo consoles that will likely be difficult to change overnight. Consider that Sony, a company that is much more successful in the console market than Nintendo, might unveil the PS4 NEO before Nintendo unveils the NX. Sony announced the PS4 NEO earlier this year; Nintendo announced the NX early last year. Sony is also not planning on releasing the PS4 NEO in March 2017. Nintendo's biggest competitor isn't taking that advertising risk, and you think it's perfectly normal for a company that is struggling to sell consoles to use a short time window to unveil and launch the NX?

You also keep making comparisons to what other tech companies do when they sell their products. Those tech companies (Apple, Samsung, Google) are not only much larger and more financially successful companies than Nintendo, they are also in other electronics industries where there is alot of product turnover. They don't need to spend alot of time and money advertising products when they know those products will be replaced in a year.

Finally, Nintendo will likely still have their billions if the NX is a commercial flop, but investors will likely notice another commercial flop released by Nintendo. There will probably be increased pressure on Nintendo to abandon the home console industry if they fail to sell home consoles for another video game generation.

How about you tell us how you should have handled the NX reveal?

Therad

GrailUK

@BiasedSonyFan I disagree. I think Mr Iwata should have said something because in a year where the Wii U is receiving 1 first party title behind a back drop of Pokémon GO, Miitomo, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, are you honestly going to sit there and tell me the internet media and over weight Youtubers wouldn't think it has enough evidence to suggest Nintendo is 'doing a Konami' and going where the money is.
The internet media already thinks it knows what the NX is, when Nintendo is planning to release it and despite whatever Nintendo says, no matter how transparent they are being, it is over analysed, mis-construed and over hyped.
So, given the choice of spinning this quiet home console year for fans, and you are in charge of Nintendo would you;

a) Let fans think that you are shifting focus to mobile games.
b) Let fans know that you are concentrating on the next system.

• The correct answer is b) you tell them about the NX being a thing. A lesser of two evils I guess.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@BiasedSonyFan Hmmm...y'know what....You're right! Maybe. A year is just the period of time as opposed to a calendar year. If it was announced January, then Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing Amiibo Factory would have been considered genuine 'all hands on deck' Nintendo games because no one would have appreciated they were diverting resources. Imagine that scenario! No, actually, I admire a company being transparent (especially in this day and age) and I ain't gonna back track because forum folk can't handle it lol. Iwata shoulda said something and I'm glad he did.

Edited on by GrailUK

Grumblevolcano

@BiasedSonyFan Well E3 2015 would've been enough to get the "Nintendo is going mobile" rumour mill started as most of the focus was on already announced games as well as no news on Zelda.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@Grumblevolcano Well in Mr Volcano.

Octane

More rumours. That's a hefty handheld by the way. Screen size same as GamePad; who's going to carry that around in his/her pockets?

''2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype.''

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64

Octane

IceClimbers

@Octane Most phones have screen sizes around that size these days anyways lol. Just means it can't fit in skinny jeans.

Anyways, a 720p multitouch screen would be better than what I was expecting (a 540p single touch screen).

Another part of what she is saying is that the dock prototype has two USB slots. I think the final should have 4 if they plan on allowing two Gamecube adapters for 8 Player Smash.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GrailUK

@Octane 6.2" screen would be the minimum to be able to play couch games comfortably (for me). I played Xenoblade Chronicles off screen on the Wii U pad and it was great. However, my eyes found the 3DS a tad stressful (and still not finished it on that system). With the higher definition, it should be quite sexy!

Octane

@IceClimbers That's true, but that's just the screen. Most phones are same size as the screen these days. Add buttons to this thing, a big heavy battery that lasts 30 minutes and all the other things it needs and you're carrying more than just a 6 inch screen around.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

DefHalan

Does this rumored NX mark the end of the DS line? Will we no longer get two screens on our portables?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

@DefHalan No 3D either.

Maybe as add-ons, hardware DLC; rake in the money Nintendo!

Octane

IceClimbers

@Octane Fair point

Octane wrote:

@DefHalan No 3D either.

Maybe as add-ons, hardware DLC; rake in the money Nintendo!

They're locked behind amiibo!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DefHalan

@Octane I didn't use the 3D much before I got a New 3DS but even now it is less than half the time I play. Also it doesn't really add much. So I am fine with the lack of 3D. The lack of a second screen will make things more difficult for Backwards Compatibility.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

@WebHead
I'm hoping the motion controls can be optional. Yep, I'm one of those people. I've heard the prophets preach the joys of motion gaming more times than I care to count, and yes, I've played games with Wiimotes and other things more times than I care to count. But at the end of the day, I still want a comfy, non-motion controller to enjoy my console games from the couch. <fingers crossed>

For a person like me, this is something that could potentially be a deal breaker. I seriously doubt they're going to go all-in on the motion stuff again, seeing as how that fad seems to be mostly behind us (though VR stuff does start creeping into mind), but yea... staying tuned for official information, obviously haha

P.S. - Honest question, Do most of the popular smart phone games require large amounts of motion control? I remember Temple Run where you had to tilt the screen back and forth, but now I think of popular stuff and it mostly seems to just be touching the screen.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Therad

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@Therad

I think Nintendo shouldn't have announced news about the NX so early. Yes, Iwata was trying to reassure investors that Nintendo wasn't getting out of the home console business when they talked about their plans for mobile video games, but he probably could've provided that reassurance without tipping off Nintendo's plan to release a new video game console.

With regards to the NX reveal, I'll say this again: Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. can afford to have a short time window between revealing a product and launching a product. Not only that, they usually release products that people already know alot about; they might just become faster and/or get some new features. There aren't alot of unknowns about cell phones, tablets, or laptops. Nintendo has had issues selling home consoles and is planning on releasing another home console that uses a "brand-new concept". There are many unknowns about the NX, and a short time window between the revealing the NX and launching the NX doesn't help Nintendo, IMO. This has nothing to do with how information travels today, but how people process the unveiling of the NX; more time between the NX's unveiling and launch can allow people to understand and accept what the NX offers. So Nintendo should unveil the NX in September, IMO.

You didn't answer my question...

If NX needs "[time to] allow people to understand and accept what the NX offers" it has already failed. If you can't communicate what it has to offer during a presentation, it is to complicated. I say it again, they will not have an invasive gimmick, it will be easily grasped. See Wii U as a counter-argument why it is bad to reveal it too early.

I guess you are lambasting Sony even more, since it looks like neo and slim will get revealed at their PlayStation event and you will be able to buy them shortly after. Big event, devices ready soon after.

And if we look at the leaks and rumours of the NX, is it really that hard to grasp? Powerful handheld, with Wii controllers. Everyone already knows what the Wii can do and I don't think most people are so dumb they can't grasp the handheld part.

And since people will not be able to buy it now, what difference does it make if they reveal it now or in January, really? It isn't like people will start saving for a $200-250 machine, the vast majority already have those kinds of money or they use their Visa/amex/mastercard.

Therad

Therad

WebHead wrote:

@IceClimbers motion controls...skyward sword hd?

BotW Link is right-handed.

On the screen discussion, 6.2" is the same dimensions as Wii U. 720p (or 1080p) makes perfect sense, because then they can use off-the-shelves screens, which reduces cost.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Therad

Octane wrote:

More rumours. That's a hefty handheld by the way. Screen size same as GamePad; who's going to carry that around in his/her pockets?

''2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype.''

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64

Can you post the entire post/posts? Since she apparently has had to lock down her account...

Sidetrack, why are people hating on her? She seems more credible with her leaks than many others. Is it a "Real Gamer (TM)" thing?

Therad

Octane

@Therad Well, she did claim that Mother 3 was coming to the Wii U, or you know, that female Link really was a thing. She has been wrong about a lot of things, so I'd take her stuff with a big pinch of salt.

Anyway, she also claimed the following, but those claims were so vague, that's why I didn't post them first;

''1) This article about NX's detachable controllers supporting force feedback and motion controls has truth.''

''3) Prototype for dock station has USB ports. I heard 2 usb ports, but I don't know if this number will change in the final product.''

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic