Forums

Topic: Media Year-End Lists: The Best Games of 2015

Posts 1 to 20 of 25

VelvetElvis

EDIT: This topic was originally about TIME's "Top 10 Video Games of 2015" list, but I thought it would be nice for us to have a thread where we can discuss all of these sorts of year-end video game "best-of" lists released by the press, from gaming sites to mainstream media. So bring those lists here, and we'll mull 'em over.

Awards season has kicked off, and with that TIME brings us its annual uber-collection of top tens. They've published their picks for the top ten video games of the year, and per usual it's a decent lineup that ranges from "AAA" (how I loathe the term) to indie and iOS games, with quite an unexpected number one pick. Nintendo's big hitters also made the ranks, reprinted here:

10) Splatoon
9) Undertale
8) Batman: Arkham Knight
7) Ryan North's "To Be Or Not To Be"
6) Super Mario Maker
5) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
4) Her Story
3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
2) Rise of the Tomb Raider
1) Prune

The full list starts here.

This is one of the yearly lists that I typically find interesting, and 2015's lineup is no exception. Speaking of exceptions, I personally take exception to Rise of the Tomb Raider at number two (granted, the mega-budget, ultra-homogenized, Michael-Bay-inspired cinematic wanks that we call "AAA" games really don't appeal to me) and would easily put Splatoon a bit higher up (certainly higher than Arkham Knight). Some might call it a ploy for attention, but I thought Prune at number one was a bold choice, and it certainly piqued my interest.

Your thoughts?

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

Soren

That list makes sense, but I've never heard of Prune, Her Story, Ryan North, or Undertale. Are they IOS games? I don't keep up with those.

“Bad news. Something big is happening, and we need to formulate a plan of action.”
—Soren

LaserdiscGal

Soren wrote:

That list makes sense, but I've never heard of Prune, Her Story, Ryan North, or Undertale. Are they IOS games? I don't keep up with those.

Undertale is basically a new Mother game on PC, the other three I've never heard of.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

VelvetElvis

@Soren, "To Be Or Not To Be" and Prune were new titles to me.

Her Story is a detective story and a modern take on the FMV game genre that's available on Steam and iOS — I haven't played it yet, but it's apparently quite short and pretty cheap, so I hope to soon. At a quick look, "To Be Or Not To Be" is on Steam, iOS and Android. All I know about that is what TIME said, which is that it's a digital version of a choose-your-own-adventure book based on Hamlet with an irreverent sense of humor.

VelvetElvis

shingi_70

Her story is great. Surprised no Until Dawn

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Soren

@Santa: @VelvetElvis: Thanks. I looked up those games, and they seem a bit odd for this list, especially Prune.

“Bad news. Something big is happening, and we need to formulate a plan of action.”
—Soren

kkslider5552000

I mean...at least it's not a boring list. More interesting than when all the game sites inevitably list the same 4-5 games for eternity when all the GOTY stuff starts coming out.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoFan64

...Prune? That is honestly the first time I've heard about that. Anyways, nothing too surprising with these choices. Games like Batman or MGS V I was expecting (Standard AAA titles. Surprised to not see Fallout 4 here.), Super Mario Maker and Splatoon were Nintendo's best offering this year, and Undertale is fairly popular on the internet (Arguably on FNAF levels, though I'd rather take this than those Chuck E Cheese rejects.), so those aren't too surprising. But...PRUNE? Prune is new to me.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Klimbatize

Prune is a cool game. It is not the best game of 2015. Silliness.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Kaze_Memaryu

Half of this list seems like typical picks, but the other half is majorly surprise gems. Except for Rise of the Tomb Raider (because screw Barbie's Mystery Adventure by Squenix) and Mario Maker (DIY editors are my nightmare!), I'm actually somewhat agreeing with this list, especially Undertale and The Witcher!

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

Dezzy

SuperWiiU wrote:

Going by that list alone 2015 was a pretty weak year for gaming and I'm glad 2016 is coming up.

Xenoblade and Just Cause are still to come. And I doubt they included Fallout 4.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

I was cool with that list until it got to "Prune" and their ridiculously self-important description of it,

MH4U was passed over, but they included "Prune."

...yeah.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

gcunit

Prune? What even is that... some sort of Dune prequel?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

VelvetElvis

@Ralizah: I can't comment on Prune as I haven't played it, but you bring up a good point — I have a feeling we won't see Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on many lists at all. It's got the combo curse of coming out early in the year and being on a (non-mobile) handheld. And that's a shame.

@Dezzy: Yeah, I much prefer yearly "best of" lists to come out early the following year — those three games you mentioned will likely be excluded from lots of these lists (though I suspect the Internet's obsession with Fallout 4 might give it a pass on some of them). TIME's bigassed list collection is a guilty pleasure of mine, but November is too early. At least wait until January so you can include, you know, the year, and give yourself some distance to reflect.

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

martinskrtel37

wtf is prune
lol at tomb raider
lol at any metal gear solid after 3
wtf is her story
lol at the witcher american rpg garbage
mario maker is kinda fun
lol at everything else

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

SuperWiiU

martinskrtel37 wrote:

wtf is prune
lol at tomb raider
lol at any metal gear solid after 3
wtf is her story
lol at the witcher american rpg garbage
mario maker is kinda fun
lol at everything else

lol american rpg (it's Polish).

VelvetElvis

Hey folks, I changed the title so that this topic would be more about year-end "best-of" video game lists in general. My thought is that it'll be nice to have a consolidated place to talk about some of those — mods, let me know if that's no good.

Here's what sparked it — the New Yorker has chimed in with their list. Personally, I find this one the most agreeable that I've read so far; I absolutely abhor seeing obligatory, easy, and undeserving picks each year (last year it was the abysmal Shadow of Mordor, this year it's the overrated Fallout 4) — it makes a lot of lists feel like "Video Games with the Best Marketing Campaigns of the Year."

The New Yorker's list might be a tad sweater-swearing hipster, but I think it really avoids that trap. I personally can't argue with the list itself, or the solid runners-up category. Here are their picks:

1) Sunless Sea
2) Metal Gear Solid V
3) Her Story
4) Splatoon
5) Bloodborne
6) Kerbal Space Program
7) The Beginner's Guide
8) Xenoblade Chronicles X
9) Downwell
10) Darkest Dungeon
11) Everybody's Gone to Rapture

Honorable Mentions: Undertale, Prune, Mushroom 11, Rocket League, Galak Z, Dr. Langeskov, the Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist

I'd definitely fuss about with the order a bit, but I thought it was a good read. It also enlightened me on Mushroom 11 and Dr. Langeskov, which I'll be sure to check out.

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

-Godot

VelvetElvis wrote:

Dr. Langeskov, the Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist

Dr. Langeskov is free. Everyone with steam needs to download it RIGHT NOW. And then all those who have not already bought the creator's other games, The Stanley Parable and The Beginner's Guide, need to RIGHT NOW.
[youtube:ZXsQAXx_ao0] <- What am I doing wrong here? Can't get it right...

Edited on by -Godot

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.