Forums

Topic: Illumination Mario Movie

Posts 121 to 140 of 409

FroZtedFlake

That was insanely good. Much better than I'd expected, and a surprising lack of fart jokes. It looks like they're going for SM64 the movie.
All the voices sound really really good too, I'd say Toad and Bowser were the best shown though.
I have high hopes man

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

blindsquirrel

@FroZtedFlake
I too was glad they avoided the fart jokes. Hopefully it isn’t a musical like some of the leaks said

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Snatcher

@blindsquarel I thought it was a reference to the video games, Where some of them were poisonous, st least in 2.

@Kermit1 why! I was trying so hard, why! My effort, my work, burn it all!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

FroZtedFlake

I can't be the only one that noticed that the koopa army was surprisingly similar to the Mario and Luigi games either can I? The outfits and way that it worked were almost a one-to-one recreation.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Losermagnet

That trailer was pretty impressive. Consider me genuinely excited.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@FroZtedFlake Definitely, they look just like the games, no kidding.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

blindsquirrel

@Kermit1
Great, now you’ve got me wanting to see it to.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

gcunit

It's amazing how far some people have their heads up their own backsides when it comes to critiquing the humour in a sub-2 minute teaser trailer for a family movie based on a platforming video game series.

Do please provide an example of a scene (from another film or grasped from inside your butt) that would have satisfied your sense of humour.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

kkslider5552000

I'm not remotely the right person to talk about comedy in a modern animated film, since I'm apparently the one person who thinks none of the Lord and Miller movies have been consistently funny, but I expected worse.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

gcunit wrote:

It's amazing how far some people have their heads up their own backsides when it comes to critiquing the humour in a sub-2 minute teaser trailer for a family movie based on a platforming video game series.

Do please provide an example of a scene (from another film or grasped from inside your butt) that would have satisfied your sense of humour.

I liked it when the Minions shout banana. Can we get that in this film please?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

kkslider5552000

The only bad thing is that there's no way anything in the movie, or most movies, will be even remotely as funny as announcing Chris Pratt as Mario with a black and white photo that makes it look like he died, while Shigeru Miyamoto says "he's so cool".

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iLikeUrAttitude

Just watched the teaser, I expected it to be a dumpster fire but it actually turned out pretty decent which is nice.

So the best thing I can say about the movie is that the presentation is gorgeous, the environments and characters looked like they were ripped out the games and they look great.

And thats where compliments lie, my biggest problem is definitely the casting being god awful - Chris Pratt as Mario was a horrible decision and his voice was fitting at all, didn't have much effort put in either.
Jack Black as bowser was hit or miss in the teaser; I liked his performance in his first line but anything after that it was way off and I could hear the Jack Black in Bowser too easily. If the voice acting is going to be this inconsistent you're better off just recasting entirely.
Toad and the Penguin were fine but that just brings me to my next point - the humor in the trailer was equally as bad as the casting, it was just typical illumination generic humor shoe horned in.

While this movie doesn't look terrible I still have little faith in it so far, the standards are on the floor right now for video game movies and right now the teaser isn't that far above it.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Snatcher

@gcunit I mean I guess people just want gut busting humor, but the thing about humor, is that is vary subjective, but geez, I don’t even understand the jokes people are talking about, there’s not many, and like you said, it’s less then 2 minutes of footage from the movie, not all the jokes have to land. The jokes in the trailer game me a chuckle.

Sunsy

@Snatcher I have a feeling I'm going to love it too. Call it unpopular, at least on the Internet, I've enjoyed most of Illumination's movies. I may like DreamWorks and Disney more, but I still enjoyed their movies. Their adaptation of The Grinch is actually my favorite adaptation of the story.

Toad looks like he's going to be fun. Looking forward to seeing how my Princess Peach is in it!

@Kermit1 They're made to look like Super Mario 64, however, I saw a meme on social media where the penguin king was compared to Pablo wearing a king costume.

jump wrote:

I liked it when the Minions shout banana. Can we get that in this film please?

Oh goodness, please let the Illumination logo have Donkey Kong and a Minion fighting over a banana. I wouldn't mind it at all, lol.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Munchlax

Looks incredibly bland and mediocre to me, personally (like most of Illumination’s output).

Edited on by Munchlax

Munchlax

Kermit1doesmath

Can we just sink in the fact Jack Black was in a Nintendo Direct.

dysgraphia awareness human

StarPoint

@kkslider5552000 Nintendo being unintentionally funny will always be better than their intentional humor, even if that’s great at times too.

“He’s so cool” is forever engraved in my memory.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Anti-Matter

So I wonder what is the plot of the storyline?
I'm sure it will be more than just rescuing the kidnapped Princess Peach damsel in distress all over the time.
I guess it will introduce a new enemies.

Anti-Matter

Croctopus

What makes me even more excited for this film is the fact that it's an origin story after all. Now we'll finally get an (official?) backstory of how Mario and Luigi discovered the Mushroom Kingdom and saved Peach from Bowser to become Super for the first time. It's a backstory with a lot of great potential!

It likely won't be anything like this at all, but imagine if it started with an overview of the story of Yoshi's Island, in which Baby Mario and Luigi were destined to become the future heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom, but once they're delivered to their parents, they move away to the big city. They have lucrative jobs in carpentry and construction and Mario proves that he has hero potential by saving Pauline from Donkey Kong. But something bad happens that not only causes Mario to break up with Pauline but also him and Luigi getting fired by Foreman Spike, falling into hard times until they discover a pipe that leads to the Mushroom Kingdom. Once there, they might prove their worth by fixing the princess's pipes as plumbers, but then have to prove their heroism for real when Bowser kidnaps Peach. Even though Kamek might freak out since he might remember "prophecies" of the Mario Bros. from Yoshi's Island, Bowser would think nothing of two seemingly ordinary plumbers trying to stop him.

It just depends on how deep into series lore they're willing to go, but Nintendo's always liked portraying the Mario Bros. as Average Joe heroes despite their excellent physical abilities and power-ups. Adding more emotion or even heart to the story would be extremely interesting for characters who are normally so simple.

Whirling Shiver Fan
"You lip-synch, we drip ink..."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6880-0040-8826 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic