Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2, Error-Code 2618-0201 and NAT Type F

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

GoldenGamer88

Hi y‘all,

I‘ve been playing Splatoon 2 for pretty much 345 hours without any sort of issues since launch. Now what happened this morning was that I booted up Splatoon 2 to check out the new Snapper Canal stage. For one, the game took way longer to load than usually and the fan of the dock was running much louder than usually.

Since then I keep getting the error-code 2618-0201, telling me to update my Switch, which is up to date. It‘s also not persistent, I can get into the lobby and into matches, which all run without disconnect or frame rate drops, but it‘s just annoying. So I went investigating and found out my NAT type was at F when it was typically at B. I found a Nintendo support site suggesting to put my Switch into DMZ, which I did. It did fix my NAT and put it back to B but every time I simply launch Splatoon 2, the NAT immediately returns to F and when I close the game, it‘s B again. Now, I haven‘t tried it with other games like ARMS or Mario Kart yet.

Also, for clarification, my Switch and router are like a step apart from each other with only a bit of wood and a dvd recorder between the two. I haven‘t tried it with a USB Adapter yet because I don‘t have one.

Have you run into similar issues and could possibly help me fix this? It‘s quite annoying.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

JaxonH

That's odd. I haven't had any issues. All I know is I use a Netgear router- Its the only one where I never have issues. I assign a static IP, assign that IP address for DMZ, use Qos to assign my Switch high priority bandwidth, and set the MTU value to match my Switch and router. Also set Primary DNS manually to 008.008.008.008 and Secondary to 008.008.004.004

Could also switch between 2.4GHz and 5Ghz signals if you have a dual band router.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

OorWullie

@GoldenGamer88 Are for sure Splatoon itself has updated? Close the game and push + to bring up the menu and try manually updating the game. I say this because a similar thing happened to me when one of the new maps arrived a couple of months ago. Not sure why it didn't update automatically when starting the like it usually would.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

GoldenGamer88

@JaxonH My router neither supports DMZ or dual bandwidth, unfortunately. Also been trying to get other solutions I read online to work without success, like port forwarding or activating UPnP. I checked my router and Switch, unlike everything else, runs at 50-60 MBit/s, which is even less than half what other consoles and PCs I own get from the same router. I
The NAT type has stayed at F for a while now with only a one time occurence of a D.

Found an old LAN Adapter this afternoon, it helps absolutely nothing to improve my NAT type, despite connecting it with the LAN cable from my PS4, the cable that's set to Power Mode inside my router and later on downloaded the Battlefront 2 Demo of 15 Gigs in 15 minutes.

The problem with the NAT type and the afromentioned has worsened to the point that I can't get into any game in Splatoon with my router and I need to play at my aunt's place to participate in the Splatfest, and I absolutely hate that.

It's really weird. From one day to the next and without affecting anything else.

@OorWullie: I bought the Bamboozler right after the long loading and loud fan was done. It was there and everything, just like Snapper Canal. Just to be safe, I just checked, Splatoon, like the Switch and all its controllers, is up to date.

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

JaxonH

@GoldenGamer88

If your router doesn't support dual band or DMZ, I think it might be time to shop for a new router to get you through the Switch lifespan, plus more and more 3rd party games are not allowing online play with restricted NAT, on all consoles.

Belkin is straight garbage and you will never stop having issues playing online on Switch. Don't get a Belkin. Netgear, on the other hand, works fantastic. The Nighthawk is meant for gaming with low latency. There are multiple models all the way up into the several hundred dollar range. I went with the standard $99 dual band model. Need to use Qos to assign Switch high bandwidth priority to avoid disconnects. Takes 5 minutes tops. And can set up static IP and DMZ while you're there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=twister_B075ZTJZJM?_...

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@GoldenGamer88
But before going down that route I'd exhaust all fixes first, obviously, just in case you can get it sorted

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_...

GoldenGamer88

@JaxonH Look, my router is only a few months old, I got it like a week or two after Splatoon's release. While appreciated, advice on US routers won't do me any good since I live in Germany, where each provider comes with their set router.
I'd probably have to switch providers just to get a different one than I already have. As far as I know dual bandwidth is only being introduced here and won't come to my rural area anytime soon. And my provider is strictly against DMZ for security reasons I've been told.

I'll probably call up my provider and ask what could be done on Monday.

Edit: Already been following that instructions list. All it did give me that one D, the next time it was back to F.

TinyMiniPixel

@GoldenGamer88 I have the same issue too by living in Germany. If you have any news on Monday please let me know

TinyMiniPixel

Octane

@GoldenGamer88 I'm in the same boat. My router is new (this year), and it works flawlessly, except my Switch doesn't like it. I've tested my Switch on another router and it works fine. Going to call my provider on Monday too and see if there's a way to get a newer model, if that's even possible...

Octane

TinyMiniPixel

So, apparently I managed to solve the issue by following a couple of methods.
1. I added my Nintendo Switch MAC address to my forwarding list in the router settings
2. I followed the steps I found in the link down here below and gave to my Nintendo Switch a static IP.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_...

I have no idea if by doing solely the second step it would have been already solved. I just did both in that precise order and my NAT changed from F to A. I also tried to play MK8 right after and everything worked like a charm.
Let me know if this helps you.

TinyMiniPixel

GoldenGamer88

@TinyMiniPixel Okay so, pretty much the second the Splatfest ended yesterday, my NAT type permanently returned to B (though the router says Switch still only gets 60 out of the maximum 130 MBit/s). I held off from updating this thread with the news fearing it was only a fluke (I‘m really paranoid when it comes to things important to me). And so I played Splatoon all morning ... until the dreaded error code returned.

And so I tried your suggested method in desperation. 1. My FritzBox only allows for IP addresses to be port forwarded. 2. Though I already tried the description in the link twice before, I tried it a third time. I have it both running as described and as an Exposed Host, as FritzBox can‘t do DMZ unfortunately, without any success except for two Ds. I‘ll call the folks at my provider in a bit. Ever since Vodafone took over Kabel Deutschland, it‘s trouble on a monthly basis.

Update: Alright, so I threw out the Exposed Host and for some reason I am now getting NAT Type A pretty much every time I check (knocks three times on wood, I‘m just that paranoid and superstitious). Keep your fingers crossed it‘ll stay that way, everybody!

TinyMiniPixel

@GoldenGamer88 well, I honestly had the same troubles even before been moved to Vodafone Btw yesterday I bought Splatoon and today I’ll give it a try and check if the issue comes back. I’ll also double check tonight the port forwarding settings I changed just to be sure we are on the same boat. Let us know in any case what Vodafone is saying.

TinyMiniPixel

GoldenGamer88

@TinyMiniPixel As long as everything works fine (knocks three times on wood again), I see no reason to call them up and deal with their nonsense yet again. Sure, I still have no idea why thing happened the way they did this weekend or even this morning but I‘ve already wasted enough of my nerves on this whole ordeal without calling them.

Anyway, have fun with Splatoon, mate!

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.