Forums

Topic: Wrestling Fans Unite!

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 1,969

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee I haven't paid for WWE Network since WrestleMania. I just can't bring myself to watch the boring storylines and the same matches for weekends on end. It's a shame too cause they have alot of talented people AJ Styles, Nakamura, Asks but they really don't know how to use them.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

jump

Tasuki wrote:

bimmy-lee I haven't paid for WWE Network since WrestleMania. I just can't bring myself to watch the boring storylines and the same matches for weekends on end. It's a shame too cause they have alot of talented people AJ Styles, Nakamura, Asks but they really don't know how to use them.

I'm a BIG fan of Nakamura in New Japan but he's been lazy in the ring since joining WWE. I'm not sure if it's because he's closer to the end of his career and treating living in Florida as a holiday or if he's just not feeling it. I think AJ is doing well, he was the face of Smackdown and when he went got on Raw he went straight into a dream match with Rollins. He's injured at the mo but teasing a Bullet Club reunion is keeping me hopeful.

Asuka is shocking tho, they mucked her up bad (less so with losing the streak imo but more so of her champ run) but placing her in a tag team and then not using the tag team when the women's tag division is wafer thin is silly.

To me the biggest waste is the tag division. The Revival, Rusev Day, Breezango etc got over but weren't pushed and then there's The Viking Experience and The Bullet Club being a joke. The Lucha House Party (if you got rid of the stupid name) could be great, they are fantastic performers. They don't need a huge push, just keep them on the mid-card wowing audiences with their high flying but you would need to stop squashing them in stupid matches.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bimmy-lee

I’ve looked at Boxy Pro no less than 25 times in the eShop, but I haven’t pulled the trigger. I don’t love the Minecraft wrestling aesthetic, but I can look past it if the game is fun. Are you going to review it @Shiryu ? At the very least, I appreciate that video. It looks like you’re playing for a KO instead of a pin fall.

@Tasuki - My sub expired the Friday before Mania. I waffled, then just re upped for six more months. That’s the last time. As you said, the storylines are so incredibly lame, it’s like they’re ripped straight from an early 00s reality show. As Sphydar mentioned, this is made even more infuriating by the overwhelming amount of talent on their roster. There are some great matches on any given card, but without a decent storyline, they’re all for naught. No reason to care.

I remember watching Eric Embry battle Skandor Akbar and Devastation Inc for a year. I don’t think a single match in that rivalry was any good, but I was completely invested because of the twists and turns of the storyline. Embry was completely outgunned, but the man continued to fight and stand up to them. Lots of blood, lots of good, emotional promos. Nobody involved in that feud would even make WWE’s roster today, and yet it was more memorable than anything they’ve done in years. Frustration. They pander to the clowns who bring beach balls to shows, and real fans suffer for it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Shiryu

I am unsure if we are reviewing it, I just bought it out of my own pocket money as per usual (I'm a rascal like that). For now I am reviewing something else for the site. I can however assure that it's not bad at all, cubist aesthetics and all.

"No Surrender, No Retreat."

Nintendo Network ID: Shiryu | Twitter:

bimmy-lee

@the_shpydar - Bischoff is something else man. There are few people in the history of rasslin who exude heel like him. I was a huge fan of pre NWO WCW, but when they put him on screen with Hogan, Nash, and Hall; it was magical. NWO was too cool to hate, but with him in their corner, easy. I know he has a good mind for storytelling, but they’re crazy if they don’t put him on camera. Even if it’s just a straight NWO ripoff, give him a stable, and let him wreak smug havoc.

Edit - The whole invasion angle was just a call back to the territory days when guys like Brody and Butcher would show up in your town and terrorize your champ for six months.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee For WWE it's comes down to who sells the most shirts and who Vince wants as the face of the divisions, not skill or talent which is sad If Vince does think they will make it which happened to Caesro, Nakamura, Asks, and Dean Ambrose then you get buried and the fans are stuck with Roman Reigns, and Brock Lesnar. Which is why promotions such as New Japan and AEW are breath of fresh air.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

@Tasuki - Yep. Agreed. Do you think Smackdown moving to Fox might change that a bit, at least for that show? It’s going to be hard for Vince to sell them a champion everyone hates with a go away passion. I’m hoping they put a chicken ish heel on top, people love a good chase. I don’t totally hate Lesnar, but he definitely shouldn’t be unbeatable anymore at this point in his career. Especially since his body is slowly morphing into Brutus Beefcake’s body.

limby-bee was a jerk.

jump

@bimmy-lee I think they see Brock as the new Andre, Andre could barely move in the last few years and they still had him doing matches as an unstoppable force as he was special. I mean they just had 'taker nearly kill someone a few weeks ago and brought him back to boost rating, Brock not being in tip top shape ain't gonna stop him from being their top monster.

Bruan really should have taken the mantle of the top monster by now. it's strange how they turned him around from being green and not getting over to the most over guy on the roster but now a forgotten midcarder.

@Tasuki Ironically Dean Ambrose (hot off the Shield break up) was the company's biggest tix shifter at house events (allegedly his main event tours outsold the Reigns regardless of who they were up against which is why they put the title on him during the 2nd split) and Sasha Banks was their best selling female merch seller...where are they now?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

bimmy-lee

@jump - Yeah, Andre is a good comp. Brock still looks believable in the ring, he’s just at a stage where he’s noticeably aging. Andre could get away with almost complete deterioration in the ring because he always had the sideshow aspect. I feel like Brock can eat a loss here and there and still be Brock, so why they’ve fumbled Braun so badly is truly mind boggling. He was ready to explode, and a win over Brock would have given him momentum for a solid year. I don’t think anyone on the roster could be hurt by a loss to Braun, especially when he was on fire.

As for Ambrose and Banks, I don’t think WWE cares about house shows, and I’ve heard Sasha is a bit of a problem backstage. I’m not a smark, and I don’t dig around for information like that, but I’ve heard it talked about on podcasts.

limby-bee was a jerk.

jump

bimmy-lee wrote:

As for Ambrose and Banks, I don’t think WWE cares about house shows, and I’ve heard Sasha is a bit of a problem backstage. I’m not a smark, and I don’t dig around for information like that, but I’ve heard it talked about on podcasts.

House shows are what built WWE, the business model even now is to treat WWE like a touring act. It was this source of income that allowed WWE to keep going in the 90s when WCW was beating them. Their Saudi house shows actually gets them more money than 'Mania in a weird example.

I'm a BIG Sasha mark, I honestly rate her better than the other horsewomen, Gail Kim, Tessa Blanchard, Asuka and all of the other big names I can think of, although she can be abit too reckless with throwing herself about. If it's the 'mania thing about her throwing a strop there's an interesting tidbit one journalist mentioned was that multiple sources came to him (rather than him approaching them which is the norm) with the same word for word account of it and suspects it might be WWE going on the offensive to discredit her. The IIconics have even mentioned they didn't see it happen and her & Bayley were really happy for them. If the dirt sheets are correct of what led up to it I can see her point. Her and Bayley were begging for the tag titles to be created for over a year, where given it to them on the promise they would hold onto them for awhile and take challenges on all brands (they were even on NXT promising they were gonna defend them there) to build up the belts credibility but then on the day of 'mania she is told she's dropping the belts and is being split both as a team and on the brands from Bayley who is her best friend and riding buddy. Plus she was already in a similar position as Moxley who was fed up with her creative direction of her character, Sasha Banks is crying out to be a heel but instead is a face (due to those cheap sunglasses being top sellers and they don't believe heels sell merch) and put in a weird lesbian angle with Bayley.

Nicolai wrote:

Tasuki

@jump But Dean and Sasha isn't what Vince wanted. Which is why Roman was continuously pushed. Vince always had a thing for big muscular guys as Champion and woman who act more like eye candy like the IIconics do that's why they have the the belts.

My Backlog

jump

Tasuki wrote:

jump But Dean and Sasha isn't what Vince wanted. Which is why Roman was continuously pushed. Vince always had a thing for big muscular guys as Champion and woman who act more like eye candy like the IIconics do that's why they have the the belts.

The problem isn't even Vince wants big muscular guys, is that he doesn't know how to use the big muscular guys. Vince has never been able to create a company head himself, Hogan was literally a rip off of Billy Graham, Stone Cold was created by him going off script, The Rock had to overcome Vince's gimmick, Cena had to built off the The Doctor of Thuganomics and CM Punk was CM Punk. It was funny after they had Daniel Bryan win at 'mania and decided if they did the same thing with Reigns he'll get over just like Bryan did.

Whilst it's widely known he wants "athletic 10s" I disagree the IIconics only have the belts as they are eye candy, it's more imo they are the only true women tag team around now. If they wanted eye candy I would have thought they give it to Fire & Desire instead.

Nicolai wrote:

bimmy-lee

Did everyone watch the Viceland docs? I still haven’t seen Moolah, but the rest were pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing. I watched the Brody doc a couple times because I enjoyed the footage so much.

@jump - House shows are important for the bottom line, but I don’t think they care who pops the crowds at those shows because it’s a totally different product than TV. I’m in a B town, and it’s basically a super elaborate indie show. The crowd pops for everyone the whole time. It’s rasslin! Those shows exist to sell merch and stay relevant. Carnies gotta tour. I don’t think you can consider the Crown Jewel a house show at this point. It’s a boughten PPV.

I’m with you on Sasha. I’d put her NXT work at or above any other woman you listed. She’s a heel. She’s awful at being a face. They’ve sold her character out to sell those stupid glasses. Part of that is on her for not being able to adapt and make it something. She also became noticeably more reckless when she made the main roster. She throws herself around too much, and half the time I’m afraid for her life, but not in a good way. I think she’s their biggest botched call up because it seemed like she might be the next Rock.

limby-bee was a jerk.

the_shpydar

The Viceland specials were all great, and i'd definitely recommend watching the Moolah one. While i already knew most of the stories being told, it was the first time i can remember that Moolah's problematic (to put it lightly) behavior really got called out beyond a few random dirt-sheet stories and shoot interviews over the years.

And the Bruiser one was amazing. Seeing Tony Atlas — although he's talked about it over the years, he's often tried to not discuss it about it in detail, since it hurts him too much — telling the story of everything that happened that night and everything afterwards that led to Jose Gonzalez literally getting away with murder is both heartbreaking and infuriating.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

jump

bimmy-lee wrote:

Did everyone watch the Viceland docs? I still haven’t seen Moolah, but the rest were pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing. I watched the Brody doc a couple times because I enjoyed the footage so much.

@jump - House shows are important for the bottom line, but I don’t think they care who pops the crowds at those shows because it’s a totally different product than TV. I’m in a B town, and it’s basically a super elaborate indie show. The crowd pops for everyone the whole time. It’s rasslin! Those shows exist to sell merch and stay relevant. Carnies gotta tour. I don’t think you can consider the Crown Jewel a house show at this point. It’s a boughten PPV.

I’m with you on Sasha. I’d put her NXT work at or above any other woman you listed. She’s a heel. She’s awful at being a face. They’ve sold her character out to sell those stupid glasses. Part of that is on her for not being able to adapt and make it something. She also became noticeably more reckless when she made the main roster. She throws herself around too much, and half the time I’m afraid for her life, but not in a good way. I think she’s their biggest botched call up because it seemed like she might be the next Rock.

House shows are important indicator for tv/ppv tho, the Hogan vs Flair 'mania main event was famously canned as it wasn't drawing at the house shows.

In fairness to Sasha as a face she was jobbed out to Bliss and Charlotte all the time, they literally only gave her the belt so they can have someone beat her for it a week or two later. When you have someone constant lose you can't be surprised people lose interest, it's the same mistake they made with Wyatt thinking he could get over with his promos so it didn't matter if he won or not. The Undertaker use to didn't sell is opponents moves and went on a 20+ year 'mania winning streak, strong booking helps build them to legends. A heel turn would have been a good reset for her but they then went for the Bayley rivalry/lesbian love story for a year and then had them become a tag team.

Nicolai wrote:

bimmy-lee

Okay, I’ll be honest, I watched the Brody doc like four times. Couldn’t get enough of Atlas, Butcher, Dirty Dutch, and all the old footage of Brody. Some if it I haven’t seen before. Watching him swing the chain never gets old, and I love when he’s up in the seats swinging on people who are throwing stuff at him. I saw him in person and on tv as a kid. He was King Kong Brody in my territory. Gave me nightmares. I’ll definitely watch Moolah! The Brody doc is the reason I haven’t seen it yet. Every time I’ve had a moment to watch Moolah, I end up watching Brody again.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

Wow!!! I just finished watching AEW Fyter Fest and wasn't disappointed again. Alot of good matches but of course the match of the night was the Moxely/Janelea match. The Cody match was another solid one as well as well as the six man tag match with Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks. I loved the Street Fighter references too.

AEW is really making me enjoy wrestling again.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

I couldn’t watch FF live, hoping to watch it tonight. Glad to hear it’s another good show.

@jump - You’ve mentioned Taker and Wyatt, which only reminds me; why oh whyyyy would they not put Taker with Bray, and let him put Wyatt over at SS? That would be a fine match, Bray can fly around for Taker, and it would do so much for Wyatt. I really like his new direction. Building a kids cult is brilliant, but they need to make this work.

limby-bee was a jerk.

the_shpydar

Fyter Fest was seriously amazing. It made me truly remember what i love about pro wrestling (though NJPW and some of the smaller feds, like MLW, have been scratching that itch for a while now). There was not a "dud" match on the entire card. Amazing wrestling, great psychology, "sports-like" presentation, good ol' JR on the call ... everything was awesome.

Moxley/Janella was honestly the first match that i was seriously looking forward to (as in a "i NEED to see this card", and not just a "that should be good" way like say an AJ Styles vs Whoever match) in a very long time. So awesome to see Mox very clearly having a great time and enjoying what he's doing for the first time in years.

And damn, that shot that Cody took was BRUTAL (as was that apron bump Allin took — ouch!). I know people are already whining about it for obvious reasons, but i don't care. They're grown men, and one isolated shot like that — especially when Cody doesn't ever work that sort of brutal style — isn't going to turn someone into a vegetable.

I am so excited for their weekly show to start in the fall.

Meanwhile, Bray Wyatt's Firefly Funhouse gimmick is one of the very few reasons that i enjoy WWE at all right now. I sadly expect it'll have its legs cut out from underneath it once he's actually back in the ring and booked into weekly storylines (though to be fair, the background easter-egg style appearances of the puppets in random backstage segments has been excellently done so far).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic