Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,141 to 9,160 of 12,088

Pizzamorg

HotGoomba wrote:

Pokester99 wrote:

@Pizzamorg THANK YOU! Your words are so true they should literally be something you have to read and click "I agree" on before visiting/joining gaming websites that revolve around any one major gaming company.

That's the nicest insult I've ever heard.

Who is insulting someone?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Losermagnet

The word "literally" has become such a malapropism that I think we ironically understand it as "emphatic sarcastic hyperbole".

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jedgamesguy

Mario Party DS was the best game in the series.

9 was alright but Island Tour was horrendous.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

HotGoomba

@TheJGG literally every 3DS Mario Party was awful.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Losermagnet

HotGoomba wrote:

@TheJGG literally every 3DS Mario Party was awful.

See? I'm confused already đŸ˜” literally.

VoidofLight

Is it popular for a fan of something to hate the fans of something? Like if I'm a fan of animal crossing, is it unpopular or popular for me to despise it's modern fanbase?

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight eh, it's not strongly either i think. Millions of people play that game, you don't hate all of them. Just the most vocal perhaps. Fandoms in general are pretty obnoxious. It's either one big circle-jerk or pitchfork gathering (literally, of course).

Edited on by Losermagnet

VoidofLight

@Losermagnet The Animal Crossing Fanbase, at least for me, really just seems like a circle-jerk at this point. New Horizons split the fanbase in half effectively, and one side has people who defend the game and tell you that the games aren't for you anymore if you don't like it, while the other is full of people who are disgruntled because the game feels empty in comparison to previous titles. I'm just kind of tired of people thinking the disgruntled side has no right to their opinions.

jump

@VoidofLight that sounds like elitism/hipster rubbish where you think you're better than other fans. I liked that band before they were cool and they don't appreciate them the same way I do, everyone watches that anime as they are just casual anime fans unlike me, I hate those Marvel movies now as they aren't for real superhero comics fans anymore, I'm a true Man City who supported them before the Abu Dhabi money etc.

With the exception of dark fruits bands where I hate those gigs as the fans are silly buggers, I don't really hate fans of the things I like as it means more people like the same stuff as me.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight yeah forum discourse basically amounts to "who agrees with me?". It makes for pretty dull conversations. Fwiw, I thought New Horizons was fine but I didnt care for the focus on crafting. Got boring quick.

VoidofLight

@jump Eh, I mostly dislike the fanbase due to how divided it's become, and how one side is trying to tell the other side that their opinions on the matter mean nothing.

Losermagnet

@jump you're gonna have to explain dark fruits bands to me. I googled it and now im just more unsure.

Ralizah

VoidofLight wrote:

New Horizons split the fanbase in half effectively, and one side has people who defend the game and tell you that the games aren't for you anymore if you don't like it

I mean... speaking from a semi-disgruntled perspective myself... isn't that kinda true? At least for future games? After how massively successful it was, I can't imagine future entries won't be modeled closely after New Horizons. The series has progressively become less about social simulation gameplay and more about customization.

I'd probably say the same thing to those Zelda fans who are perpetually grumpy that BotW altered the genre of the series. It's not that they don't have a right to their opinions, but if someone really just detests the way a series is changing, it's probably better to move on to things they do like rather than constantly dumping on new games because they aren't like the older ones. This is exactly the behavior that irritates me about many of the people in the Paper Mario community.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

Is it popular for a fan of something to hate the fans of something?

obviously yes

anyone who has been in a major fandom for long enough can absolutely attest to how awful some fans can be and how miserable discussion about it can become

Ralizah wrote:

I'd probably say the same thing to those Zelda fans who are perpetually grumpy that BotW altered the genre of the series

I'm not sure how much I agree considering how long its taken for there to be an actual 2nd BOTW style game (even the prequel game doesn't play like BOTW). It seems pretty inevitable that classic style Zelda shall continue in some form. I'm sympathetic to people who couldn't get into BOTW, but not liking BOTW is not a real deal breaker for the series as far as I'm concerned.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

@Losermagnet it’s more of a British thing. Dark fruits is a specific type of music fan named after them drinking berry or strawberry cider. They are into indie rock bands like Oasis, Richard Ashcroft, Kasabian etc and basically there’s a casual music fan element to those crowds who don’t know proper gig etiquette like you shouldn’t be peeing into an empty cup and throwing into the crowd or you shouldn’t be getting into a fight as someone looked at them. They also don’t mix well at festivals with other crowds like the hippy ravers or metalheads. They are a nightmare in moshpits as they go in full fury whilst I remember going to punk and rock pits as a kid and would have the band preach about looking after each other in the pit which still sticks into my mind whilst indie bands never really do that so they don’t have it engraved into them.

@VoidofLight But you do that all the time in the Direct and rumours thread though ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight not to pile on, but it does sound like you're trying to talk to people who like playing Animal Crossing about how you don't. It's kind of a mis-match.

@jump got it 👍 i'll be on the look out at the next Radiohead concert I go to (i'm kidding - i cant stand Radiohead).

Purgatorium

VoidofLight wrote:

Is it popular for a fan of something to hate the fans of something? Like if I'm a fan of animal crossing, is it unpopular or popular for me to despise it's modern fanbase?

It seems very common. When it comes to AC, the modern fanbase probably hates all them old timers trying to gatekeep their fandom. Fandom communities are horrible. Best to just not engage.

Purgatorium

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic