Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,681 to 8,700 of 12,088

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 I wouldn’t call everyone who’s displeased by the offerings of the switch online service “man babies”, as they have to pay for it to get access to these games. It makes less sense when Japan actively gets the better games, while all the other countries are stuck with titles no one ever heard about or really cared for.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Sisilly_G

It's not even the case that Japan gets the "better games". You just need to be intuitive enough to access them, and anybody with an NSO subscription can access the Japanese exclusive games without issue.

All you need to do is create an additional profile on your Switch and link it to a Japanese NNID (which is easy enough to make). You can then use that profile to access the Japanese eShop to download their respective NES/SNES apps (which are separate to the Western ones) without any additional requirements (i.e. you do not need a separate Japanese NSO subscription in order to play these).

Sure, there are language hurdles (the Japanese eShop is entirely in Japanese regardless of your system settings), but there are apps to help out with that. All you really need to look out for are 体験版 (taikenhan), which means 'demo version' and 英語 (eigo), which means English. It's easy enough to figure it all out, though familiarising oneself with Kana (Hiragana/Katakana, but especially the latter) can also help a lot in reading and searching for titles.

I primarily use my Japanese profile to ascertain which Japanese releases contain English support in case I want to import games that have no physical release in the West (a few such releases include the late 2019 release of the Olympics, as the Western release was still up in the air; Coffee Talk, Bayonetta 1, Ninja Gaiden Master Collection etc.) and to download the odd Japan-exclusive demo. In my experience anyway, most Asian releases (that typically use the Japanese carts) that contain English support will also have English-language packaging (unlike the Japanese release), for those who prefer that, and better still is that many of them don't have any rating logos on the packaging either.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

I wouldn’t call everyone who’s displeased by the offerings of the switch online service “man babies”, as they have to pay for it to get access to these games. It makes less sense when Japan actively gets the better games, while all the other countries are stuck with titles no one ever heard about or really cared for.

I'm not calling them that for not getting what they want but more because they should be annoyed at the service regardless of getting the games they want, because no one should have to pay to play Nintendo's games online with how bad their actual online service is. But instead would be placated by re-releasing the "correct" SNES game/s.

also that they are legitimately angry online at the obscure games at the same time. Which is dumb, the games didn't prevent Earthbound from being on the service!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Buizel

Some new ones from me, after hearing others' views on these topics:

1. Am I the only one enjoying Skyward Sword less on the Switch? I'm willing to accept that this is the objectively better version...it's just me that's changed? I absolutely loved the game on the Switch - the story, characters and setting were great (I still quite like these), and I quite enjoyed the motion controls at the time. I would even say it was my favourite Zelda for a brief period of time. But this time around? Eh... I don't have the patience for motion controls anymore, particularly for anything that isn't the swordplay. Button controls are a welcome addition (and currently my preferred way of playing), but it's very clear that they're a substitute for a game that was built around motion controls, and a lot of actions just seem rather clunky and counterintuitive. There's a lot to love here, but it all just feels rather cumbersome, and I'd just rather go back to any other Zelda game.

2. I've never felt that 3DS/Wii U were a "perfect" fit for a new Pokemon Snap. Can anyone enlighten me on this? The idea of moving these controllers around like a camera just sounds awful to me...especially after playing those horrendous special stages in Sonic Lost World (3DS). That said, I really did like Face Raiders for what it was...a tech demo that you play maybe once or twice when you get your 3DS. But basing a whole game around this concept?

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

kkslider5552000

Buizel wrote:

The idea of moving these controllers around like a camera just sounds awful to me...especially after playing those horrendous special stages in Sonic Lost World (3DS). That said, I really did like Face Raiders for what it was...a tech demo that you play maybe once or twice when you get your 3DS. But basing a whole game around this concept?

I assume that an AR tech demo and a bad Sonic thing are not the same as what people had in mind.

Buizel wrote:

I'm willing to accept that this is the objectively better version...it's just me that's changed?

If more people did this, this thread and lots of gaming arguments would probably be reduced by half.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MPSSislit

Sorry for the late replies, guys. I’ve just been busy, doing good just busy.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SM3DASislit wrote:

Also, the way that Nintendo advertised New Horizons made it look like it was going to be an enhanced version of New Leaf (but not a direct port or DX version of it)

They did not.

New Horizons was shown to be exactly what it ended up being. Everything about what it was made very clear by Nintendo, before release.

@kkslider5552000
I’m sorry, I misspoke (mistyped?) what I said. I just had a mix up in my head, if that makes sense. What I meant to say was that I was hoping it would be like an enhanced version of New Leaf, and I felt that Nintendo did focus on the creativity aspect, but I also felt that the New Horizons ads did kind of make it look like it was trying to go for the Smash Ultimate route, with having the majority of the old features in, while also having a big emphasis on the new content.

I hope I’m making (at least) some sense; and I’m sorry again for the miscommunication the first time.

Anti-Matter wrote:

@SM3DASislit
Let me tell you something.
The old Animal Crossing idea about being lonely and the animal villagers moving out by themself was based on the creator of Animal Crossing's experience when they work at Nintendo HQ and feeling lonely, then the experince of that being used in old Animal Crossing. The creator want to make the players feel how was being lonely, how was the feeling of losing the villagers, etc. But here is the thing, i don't like that idea as i treat Animal Crossing like The Sims games rather than being a Nintendo style life sim because i am really ambitious people when i like with certain things so i will do anything to get them like crazy even i have to spend tons of hours to get them and make them stay in my island forever. The game was supposed to be have villagers cycle but i completely against that feature because i really want to prove that i am the god who can take control everything in the game and i really did it.

@Anti-Matter
I do know that’s why the series was created, but thanks for letting me know anyways. I also agree with you in the fact there were some features in the previous AC games that made the experiences not as good as it could have been, like villagers painting your roof for no reason, or not getting the hairstyle that you wanted.

Sorry to hear about your Raymond fiasco, it sounds like everything is fine now, though.

You can play Animal Crossing like the Sims if you want, but all I’m saying is to not expect Nintendo to treat New Horizons like The Sims, and the majority of people playing New Horizons (or Animal Crossing) will want to play it like a life sim. Either way of playing it is totally fine, and if someone disagrees with your Animal Crossing opinions (or any other opinions you may share in the future), you guys can just “agree to disagree”.

The reason people get upset at you with the opinions you share, is because if you share the same opinion over and over again, you’ll sound like a “broken record”, just like Lyle, and I know you don’t want to be a “broken record”, because I know that’s something that you really dislike.

The other reason that people get upset at you with the opinions you share, is because people think you’re wanting them to believe in your opinions, even though you’re just sharing your opinion, and you don’t understand why others don’t understand your opinion. I understand this, because I struggle with the same thing, and it’s something I have to constantly work on, and will probably do so for the rest of my life.

I’m saying these things to help you out, so that you can know how to handle situations like this in the future.

I hope I’m making (at least) some sense, and I hope that you have a good rest of your day and a good rest of your weekend.

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

PlusUltra

7 is my favorite mario kart. I feel it has the best controls and course layout. Maybe i just havent got use to controls in 8 but it doesnt feel right to me plus im not a fan of anti grativy on regular stages. I like the f zero levels but dislike anti gravity on normal stages. I liked double dash but hated the wario stage but especially the rainbow stage due to its layout. I have not played mario kart wii yet.

Edited on by PlusUltra

PlusUltra

I-U

The Wii U is a more complete Nintendo console than the Nintendo Switch, and I believe it will be regarded more fondly once the Nintendo Switch generation is over.

Games with Metroid in the title are usually better games than Metroid games.

The standard 2DS is the best handheld made by Nintendo.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Anti-Matter

@I-U
"The Wii U is a more complete Nintendo console than the Nintendo Switch"

Nope.
I think otherwise.
I found really hard to get more than 20 Wii U games that suitable for me but for Nintendo Switch, i have found more than 100 Switch games.

Anti-Matter

Buizel

I-U wrote:

The Wii U is a more complete Nintendo console than the Nintendo Switch

What do you mean by this? What makes a system "complete"?

I-U wrote:

...aren't these the same thing?

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

TheFrenchiestFry

@I-U I have no idea what constitutes a console as "more complete" but the Switch is basically what the Wii U wanted to be but fully realized, and considering most of that console's heavy hitters now have either Switch ports or multiplatform releases in the cases of LEGO City, Wonderful 101 and Fatal Frame, the Wii U will probably never really crawl out of super-niche status for the forseeable future.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

I-U

Buizel wrote:

What do you mean by this? What makes a system "complete"?

The Wii U has access to a majority of Nintendo's best games from the NES, SNES, N64, Nintendo DS and GBA eras, has backwards compatibility with the Wii and has its own library. The Switch has its library, I'll give it that the Wii U games that have been brought over have been better, NES and SNES. The more complete selection from Nintendo is provided on the Wii U. This could easily change for the Switch, but I don't think Nintendo is willing to expand what they offer of their legacy libraries.

Buizel wrote:

I-U wrote:

...aren't these the same thing?

Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid: Other M, Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Metroid Prime Pinball are usually considered Metroid games in name only. I think a majority of those titles are better than the games that usually are considered "actual" Metroid games that follow the series' traditional gameplay structure.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Buizel

@I-U Thanks for clarifying!

The Wii U has access to a majority of Nintendo's best games from the NES, SNES, N64, Nintendo DS and GBA eras, has backwards compatibility with the Wii and has its own library. The Switch has its library, I'll give it that the Wii U games that have been brought over have been better, NES and SNES. The more complete selection from Nintendo is provided on the Wii U. This could easily change for the Switch, but I don't think Nintendo is willing to expand what they offer of their legacy libraries.

By this metric I'd agree...Wii U is arguably the best Nintendo console for legacy content. That said, I personally prefer the Switch by far. We're at the point now where Switch has basically every Wii U game I'd want to play, and often better versions of them at that. The portability/hybrid concept is a game-changer for me, and the wider library (Nintendo exclusives, third party, indies) is altogether the best of any Nintendo console IMO. Plus I find the Wii U quite sluggish, dislike going back to the Gamepad / Wii U pro controller, and don't have many Wii games that I enjoy going back to. Virtual console has yet to be topped though!

Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid: Other M, Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Metroid Prime Pinball are usually considered Metroid games in name only. I think a majority of those titles are better than the games that usually are considered "actual" Metroid games that follow the series' traditional gameplay structure.

Haven't played enough of the series to have an opinion on this, but I agree that it's an unpopular opinion!

At least 2'8".

Sunsy

Recently replayed the GBA port of Sonic 1, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, because I felt like it. Sorry, I don't think this is one of the worst games out there. Yeah, it does have some bugs and its slow down problems, otherwise I enjoyed it as much as any other version of Sonic 1 I've played.

Though playing it again did bring back memories of playing this on the go, well before the DS collection or the awesome 3DS port.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

TheFrenchiestFry

@Sunsy Maybe by itself it's not as bad but considering the plethora of amazing GBA ports of older games like the Super Mario Advance series, the Final Fantasy ports, Tales of Phantasia, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Tekken 3 and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, it just looks flat out lazy on SEGA's part, especially given someone would end up making a working prototype of Sonic 1 running much more faithfully to how it does on Genesis on GBA as proof that it was actually completely capable of being a good port

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Sunsy

@TheFrenchiestFry It is the weakest compared to other 16-bit ports on GBA, just had some thoughts replaying the game recently. Yes, that fanmade Sonic 1 proof of concept is indeed amazing.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

Scribblenautes DC, kinda sucks, I mean the DC characters are really cool, don't get me wrong, but I hated the fact that I couldn't use the same word twice or I would lose points, And I know its to push you to be more creative but the way it dose this, really sucks, Say if I wanted to make a jet pack, or a ladder, If I made a ladder, I might have forgot to make it big, and now its to small, well to bad for you, you can't use anymore words with the word ladder in it, or you going to lose points,

And say I i'm creative, I do said thing but I mess it up a little bit, If I go back to re-type it, I still lose points,

This was such an awful way to do the system, and TBH it shouldn't have been there to begin with, This is the game were you can do whatever you want, but now I got to feel bad for taking the easy way out.

It is why I have yet to finish that game to this day, it was just to annoying.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

VoidofLight

@Snatcher That sounds pretty bad honestly. Guess that’s where the series started it’s decline, with it fizzling out with the switch game.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

@VoidofLight No kidding, the one of the wii u, and the app are waaaaay better, the one of the wii u being my favorite, I never played the wii you version but I played the port on the switch, which comes with well....the dc version,

For some reason tho, the switch port for SNU Has not nintendo characters, and they got ride of memes, but hey, can't miss what I never had.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

HotGoomba

Unpopular opinion: the 2DS is amazing, but the New 2DS XL is really bad.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic