Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 681 to 700 of 12,088

Magikarp3

ZeroZX_Dev wrote:

JRPGs are not a sub genre and is sort of a dumb term. Also anyone saying the Zelda series (barring 2) are RPGs should be ganon banned. IMMEDIATLY.

Extra Credits did a really interesting video about the term JRPG. The gist of their argument was, the old games like Wizardry made their way to Japan, where they became the inspiration for Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Meanwhile, the west also developed games based off Wizardry, like Ultima and Elder Scrolls. The two genres developed independently from each other based on differing cultural values but the same base source material. So effectively, they're different genres in the same way that Fighting and Beat em Up are different genres.

It's immediately obvious what the difference is when you play a Western developed "JRPG" (like Anachronox) or when you play an Eastern developed "WRPG" (like Dragon's Dogma). It's not the location the game is developed in, but rather a key style which is instantly recognisable.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Janfeae

Final Fantasy XIII's battle system is the best one I've ever experienced (Out of all other Final Fantasy's). To be able to have someone actively heal you without taking a bite out of your MP, while someone else is protecting everyone else from damage, while the third party is on the offensive. There were so many possible combinations, and since it wasn't a stop and wait turn based system like most final fantasy's, with the right pairing, you can attack up to 4 times with everyone before the enemy even has a chance to defend itself. The story may not have been the best, but I believe the battle system is worthy of much praise.

Janfeae

CaviarMeths

ZeroZX_Dev wrote:

JRPGs are not a sub genre and is sort of a dumb term. Also anyone saying the Zelda series (barring 2) are RPGs should be ganon banned. IMMEDIATLY.

I think the term is useful because there are stylistic differences between RPGs developed in Japan and RGPs developed in the West. That doesn't apply to everything if course (eg. most people would mistake Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma for WRPGs), but it's pretty reliable as a general rule.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Dezzy

Unca_Lz wrote:

Bravely Default didn't take 10 hours to build. It started off good which is what hooked me. Now its problem was the last 10 hours

A-men to that. I still haven't fully finished it. As soon as you'd got to the end of the main story part (beat Edea's father), I just completely lost interest. Such a shame because the story and characters both had so much potential. It just didn't end up anywhere!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Kyloctopus

ZeroZX_Dev wrote:

Also anyone saying the Zelda series (barring 2) are RPGs should be ganon banned. IMMEDIATLY.

You're right. Clearly it's an FPS, with those bow and arrow skills

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

HappyHappyist

CaviarMeths wrote:

...So in other words:

HappyHappyist wrote:

I liked a JRPG, but I can't admit it, so I had to make up an excuse for why it doesn't count as a JRPG.

did I say anywhere that Fire Emblem wasn't a JRPG? I said it was a strategy game, and it is. I never said it WAS NOT a JRPG anywhere.

You like action RPGs and strategy RPGs, but don't like traditional RPGs. The J is completely irrelevant in all cases, but you want to believe it isn't.

When people generally refer to JRPGs, they are typically referring to the games with the turn-based combat system, and I haven't heard of any WRPG with that system, so I thought the name would fit as a generalization. I didn't realize I'd need to clarify Which Genre of JRPG i dislike, because most people would generally refer to the same type.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

unrandomsam

Unca_Lz wrote:

While we're discussing RPGs, I don't think RPGs should be more than 30-40 hours. I think 70+ hours is just excessive

They can be as long as they want as long as there is loads of content and no grinding. (Or tutorials - tutorials really are the worst).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Maelstrom

Dezzy wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Bravely Default didn't take 10 hours to build. It started off good which is what hooked me. Now its problem was the last 10 hours

A-men to that. I still haven't fully finished it. As soon as you'd got to the end of the main story part (beat Edea's father), I just completely lost interest. Such a shame because the story and characters both had so much potential. It just didn't end up anywhere!

Not to spoil anything, but you're only 1/2 to 2/3 through the game. The next part can get a little tedious, but the incredible ending makes up for it.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

I-U

Going back to Xenoblade, I think the game actually starts off well with Colony 9. I may have spent the first 10 hours there alone because I wanted to explore as much of the surrounding region as I could, and that's really where Xenoblade is exciting to me, the exploration. In my opinion, there aren't many games like it, while still maintaining a sense of direction for the player. Meeting the residents of the colony, completing quests and filling out my affinity chart were other tasks I found myself involved with before the inevitable Mechon invasion. Personally, that sequence to me is epic and the actions of Metal Face gave me plenty of motive to want to continue just so I could destroy him. I didn't think they would take out Fiora that early, but they shocked me, and I loved it. With this all said, I disagree with what has been said about 10 hours being required for Xenoblade to be great, though it certainly does improve as more time is spent.

Xenoblade is a bore at times however in its new game plus feature, which to me, might have been better to leave out. It's the one problem I have with the game, and it's a bit of a big one as it's the provided replay value for the experience. Once the game's completed, there only ends up being so much that hasn't been explored, if the player even failed to complete the regional maps to begin with. Like I said before, what really pulled me into Xenoblade was the exploration, so my new game plus experience hasn't been as spectacular. I do still have wonder with the experience though, because there's no denying the Bionis and Mechonis are wondrous titans with imaginative locales. I feel a bit overwhelmed every sitting because there is so much really I can invest myself into while venturing across the diverse settings of the game, and I love that, because each sitting can leave me to think about a different subject.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Memeboy3

While we are on topic...
Anyone see Drake's new ''Unpopular Gaming Opinions'' Video?
It's a topic on Dragonball, Jammies will be rustled....

S'up
I love Anime and Wii U and 3DS games with Barry and Ross.
And Im playing Super Mario 3D World, KI:U, Colors, etc
My friend code:
3711- 7655 - 4325
My Nintendo network ID :Pokelover10

Memeboy3

Anyone ever played one of those odd DS games that have 50 games in them, Like Pokemon , Mario, Shovelware, etc?

I love the ''Cheat'' section of the Game options better than Action Replay!

S'up
I love Anime and Wii U and 3DS games with Barry and Ross.
And Im playing Super Mario 3D World, KI:U, Colors, etc
My friend code:
3711- 7655 - 4325
My Nintendo network ID :Pokelover10

Jaz007

Memeboy3 wrote:

Anyone ever played one of those odd DS games that have 50 games in them, Like Pokemon , Mario, Shovelware, etc?

I love the ''Cheat'' section of the Game options better than Action Replay!

Entire real Pokemon games? I don't we are allowed to discuss those "collections."

Jaz007

DiscoDriver43

Godzilla is a disappointing movie.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

HappyHappyist

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Godzilla is a disappointing movie.

This is a gaming opinion. That's my unpopular opinion.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

iKhan

99% of games in 2D would be better in 3D under the right developers.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

that's so vague, you could say "in some reality, Minecraft would've failed". I agree but that doesn't mean anything.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

that's so vague, you could say "in some reality, Minecraft would've failed". I agree but that doesn't mean anything.

I don't see how. Obviously there is a wrong way to bring a franchise to 3D (see Bubsy 3D), but I'm just saying that in my opinion every 2D Platformer could have been superior as a 3D Platformer, and every top-down Adventure game would have been superior as a 3D Adventure game.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I don't see how. Obviously there is a wrong way to bring a franchise to 3D (see Bubsy 3D), but I'm just saying that in my opinion every 2D Platformer could have been superior as a 3D Platformer, and every top-down Adventure game would have been superior as a 3D Adventure game.

You see, the problem is you're talking as if 3D gaming is universally superior to 2D, and not just a different style with wildly different mechanics.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

3D games are therefore overrated

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

You see, the problem is you're talking as if 3D gaming is universally superior to 2D, and not just a different style with wildly different mechanics.

That's exactly the unpopular opinion I hold. In most cases (hence the 99%), 3D Gaming is superior to 2D gaming. Even simple things like Tetris I would rather see in 3D.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic