Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,421 to 5,440 of 12,088

Ralizah

@CreamyDream Sun and Moon had a ton of improvements, but the linearity and excess of cutscenes cooled my feelings toward it.

I feel like, if they integrate the improvements in Sun and Moon into a more open and expansive Pokemon game, that we might end up with something incredibly memorable.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Badrock

I prefer playing as Donkey Kong as opposed to Diddy in DKC.

Badrock

LuckyLand

I can't stand most of the games in the jrpg genre. I can play an adventure, a platformer or an action game with predetermined character, but I can't stand to invest so much time in a game that forces me to accept a character that someone else created and usually I don't like and don't relate to. Usually I can't even stand western rpgs if I cannot create my own character without any pre determined story or traits. I usually also can't stand the behaviours of those main characters, expecially in japanese rpgs, so after a few minutes I feel the need to kill all the characters of the party I was supposed to control throughout the entire game.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Anti-Matter

@LuckyLand
JRPG games usually emphasis on Character Design, Battle System and their complex stories.
I don't know if you like Anime looking characters or not but usually JRPG games use that model as their games.

Usually I prefer Cute /Chibi looking JRPG games such as Final Fantasy III NDS / Fantasy Life 3DS / Miitopia 3DS or Realistic JRPG such as Final Fantasy VIII PS1 / Final Fantasy X & X-2 PS2 / FF XII PS2 / Earthlock : Festival of Magic Wii U (Western games but with Classic Turn Based JRPG genre )

Well, I like JRPG games whether I can or cannot edit my main character, the most important for me is the gameplay and my engagement.

JRPG games inspired me so much, so I have created my own JRPG characters. I named them with Planets name (Planets also based on God or Goddess in Mythology. They are 8 Heroes, 7 Boys + 1 Girl (Venus, the only girl ) + 1 Secret character (Pluto). I gave them Specific Job with their Abilities based on their elements, also I gave them their personality, relationship (In this case, I made Uranus and Neptune are Siblings, Earth is the Main Character , Eris is the Villain ) and Plot story (I'm not really good making a whole story but I can make Story Fragments separately). You can check on my Instagram , I have put my Instagramm address on my Profile.

JRPG is like a Novel in games.

Anti-Matter

CanisWolfred

@LuckyLand You could always play Shin Megami Tensei, or hey, I'm currently playing Eliminage Original, where you create your own Party using D&D rules. Just saying, not all JRPGs are linear like that. I mean, don't forget: Dark Souls still counts as a JRPG, just not the DQ/FF flavor that has persisted for so long.

Granted, I have my own quibbles about Western RPGs, mostly due to poor writing and a really boring would that does nothing to make itself stand out. I could forgive Skyrim, for instance, but only because I was new to the genre. Otherwise, I usually prefer my game worlds looking unique, so I have a reason to want to explore them. I also dislike the gameplay in a lot of the ones I've tried, but that's mostly due to my distaste for turn-based/Real-Time hybrids, of which Xenoblade has been the only exception to so far.

Granted, this still means that there are a number of WRPGs that I liked, mostly Ultima, Legend of Grimrock, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Mass Effect 1-3. In fact, Mass Effect is basically Bioware's Miracle in my eyes, since I normally dislike their games, to the point where I feel like it's fairer to say I dislike Bioware's RPGs and those inspired by them, and I've really only been frustrated and put off by the rest I've tried.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

bluesdance

BOTW is boring

SMO is interesting but I would rather have a simple pick up multiplayer type game, sort of like NSMB but with new graphical assets, music, and mechanics –– visually, maybe in that HD Shantae or even Jotun style –– hand-drawn animation with lots of life.

The best Wii U game was Wii Fit U

bluesdance

Fandabidozi

I'm not feeling the Octopath Traveler demo.
Really like the look of the game and was looking forward to it but the 'mature' story is really off putting.
Got to the last fight of the demo, died, clicked thru the dialogue again for five minutes, died, gave up. Yeah, disappointing.

Edited on by Fandabidozi

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

@Fandabidozi I haven't tried the other character, but if you're playing as Primrose, I would grind until you reach level 5 or 6. I couldn't beat the boss until I did that, either. Then just take down his shields and use the dark power thing until you beat him.

As for unpopular opinions:

-I don't really like JRPGs at all. They usually just bore me and are often extremely cringy in multiple ways. Some people love the "Japanese quirkiness", but I honestly can't stomach it. It's incredibly annoying.

-I think first person shooters and 2D platformers are really tired genres, shooters especially. Unless they're story based games, they're all basically the same thing with a fresh coat of paint.

-I think the "Souls-like" sub-genre really needs a change. It was cool in Dark Souls and Bloodborne because those games were the first ones, but you can only base an entire game around a combat system so many times until it gets really boring.

-I think Red Dead Redemption and Breath of the Wild are two of the most overrated games in the entire industry. They're really good, but people practically worship them, and I just don't understand why.

-Sonic Unleashed was my favorite Sonic game. I guess that just shows how much I don't care for Sonic games, lol. One of the most un-Sonic games in the whole series.

-The Galaxy games aren't very fun. 64 and Sunshine were much better, Sunshine especially. I just hope Odyssey can surpass Sunshine, or at least be just as good. It's definitely a much needed change, because Mario has been on a downward spiral ever since Sunshine, and especially so in terms of creativity. The past several Mario games have been pretty generic and simple.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Fandabidozi

@KirbyTheVampire
Hey thanks. I think I was level 5 but got trashed anyways, lol. I'm a up for a JRPG usually. I'm desperate to replay Bravely Default but I want to get Xenoblade Chronicles completed before the next one comes out.
As to the other games you mentioned...
I hate Dark Souls. I stuck with the second one for a few hours play and I felt physically sick. Which is weird I gotta admit.
I can take BotW in very small doses. I think it'd benefit a lot from more WoW like quests and I guess MMO's are more my thing.
I loved Mario 64 at the time but I've cooled on it a lot. I find Sunshine too difficult. I'm meh about Galaxy 1&2. I'll be playing XC2 over the summer and I'll get Odyssey somewhere down the line maybe.

Fandabidozi

@CreamyDream
I've got some recommendations for you:
Golden Sun - GBA/WiiU
The World Ends With You - DS
Braveley Default - 3DS

dimi

bluesdance wrote:

BOTW is boring

No game is for everyone. Can i ask how long you played?

dimi

CanisWolfred

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

-I think first person shooters and 2D platformers are really tired genres, shooters especially. Unless they're story based games, they're all basically the same thing with a fresh coat of paint.

You aren't looking hard enough. I'm kind of tired of harping on this, but I genuinely have to ask how the hell you can compare...well, basically any shooter released nowadays and say "it's all the same stuff." The genre's been going through a ton of changes lately. I can understand if you're getting tired of the genre on a fundamental level, but saying "it's all just the same thing with a different coat of paint" is just plain factually incorrect, and I don't have enough gifs to explain it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LuckyLand

I really dislike Bioware too. I played Mass Effect 1, I had nothing better to play at that time and it managed to be at least quite entertaining in the end but it's not something I would recommend if there are other options. Ok I'd recommend Mass Effect over Two worlds 2 but Two worlds 2 just sucks.

Another one of my opinions: I hate touch controls in general and I hate them even more in games and I don't trust innovation that much. Quality is much better because if I like something I know that I will always like it as long as you keep at least the same quality, and you can try to improve quality too. But when you try to innovate I'm not sure if I will like the new thing or not, and if I don't I get quite sad even if the quality is good. Sometimes innovation brought things that I liked, but still I can't trust it in advance until I have the chance to try the new things every single time

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Anti-Matter

@LuckyLand
I don't think touch screen is a Bad idea.
I play the games with touch screen mostly such as Cooking Mama, MaiMai from SEGA Arcade, 3DS games, etc. But I don't like if touch screen become a Mandatory command such as Harvest Moon Island of Happiness NDS

Anti-Matter

KirbyTheVampire

@CreamyDream I haven't played many because I don't like the genre very much, although the ones you mentioned are definitely good. Mostly I own various Nintendo titles and Final Fantasy 15. I've looked into others, but the really Japanese-esque ones don't appeal to me much at all. Most of the JRPGs I could enjoy are ones that are pretty Westernized. I would be open to playing more, and I'm not rejecting the whole genre, I'm just saying I dislike a lot of them.

There is definitely room to grow, and 2D platformers do usually do a decent job at this. I just feel like with the exception of games like Player Unknown's Battlegrounds and Splatoon 1-2, the competitive shooter genre has gotten kind of stale, at least for me. It's probably more due to just being burned out on the games than anything, though.

I don't think RDR and BoTW are boring at all. They're definitely great games. I just don't feel like they're miles above every other game like so many people think. They're well above average, but I don't really feel like they're god-tier like most do.

@CanisWolfred There are certainly games that change up the formula, I just feel like a lot of the most famous shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, among others, don't really do a whole lot to change up the flow. I understand why though, since people love the series for what they are, and don't want them to change too much. But like I said, there are others that do change things up. I think my opinion probably is due to being bored of the genre in general than anything, though.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

NaviAndMii

I have to admit that I share @KirbyTheVampire's feelings about JRPG's...Pokémon Blue was the game that really opened my eyes to the genre, but I'm yet to find another series that captures that same magic for me It's often the battle mechanics that I don't tend to enjoy that much - and I can't really put my finger on exactly why that is...

I enjoy Pokémon games - battling included - but whenever I've played, for example, a Final Fantasy game, I just don't find the battle mechanics all that satisfying - quite ugly too a lot of the time, to be honest...

Untitled

...HUD overload!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

LuckyLand wrote:

I really dislike Bioware too. I played Mass Effect 1, I had nothing better to play at that time and it managed to be at least quite entertaining in the end but it's not something I would recommend if there are other options. Ok I'd recommend Mass Effect over Two worlds 2 but Two worlds 2 just sucks.

To be fair, Mass Effect 1 is quite easily the worst in the series from a gameplay perspective, tettering on the edge of being a cover-based shooter while still desperately wanting to be an RPG...so in the end, fights were kind of clunky, and I wound up maining shotguns despite starting as a Sniper, since bullets are subject to RNG anyways. It got much better after that, though 3 was a step down from 2.

Also to be fair, @NaviAndMii Final Fantasy XIV is an MMO, and a different beast from the rest. Heck, I've played that game, and I couldn't actually recognize that UI at first, because I've never played in a party with 10 people, and having multiple classes maxed out. It normally looks more like this, although I don't blame you for feeling like the game would be overwhelming. It is. Intentionally so, because they expect you to dump hundreds of hours into it, since it's a subscription-based multiplayer RPG.

Though, I like RPGs enough that I think if it's the battle systems you don't like, I might be able to help there. If you've tried others, tell me which ones...I probably have some experience with them.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred ME1 had the worst combat, but the best everything else.

Mako exploration > Planet scanning
A fantastic space opera plotline with just the right amount of cosmic horror thrown in
Extensive customization options
Your class choice actually matters outside of combat
More open areas to explore

So far, Xenoblade Chronicles X feels like a better follow-up to Mass Effect 1 than Mass Effect 2 did.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred ME1 had the worst combat, but the best everything else.

Mako exploration > Planet scanning
A fantastic space opera plotline with just the right amount of cosmic horror thrown in
Extensive customization options
Your class choice actually matters outside of combat
More open areas to explore

So far, Xenoblade Chronicles X feels like a better follow-up to Mass Effect 1 than Mass Effect 2 did.

I don't agree with any of that. Except the open areas bit, but after Mass Effect: Andromeda, I'm reminded that "Open Areas" just means more walking, or worse: Mako Driving. That has to be one of the worst vehichles I've ever been forced to utilize in a video game, and I've used the speeders in Jak II. It turns badly, easily gets flipped over, caught in crevices, and its not even that fast or empowering...it's such a POS. And even worse, none of the side planets you go to with it are visually interesting, just big dust balls or snow balls more often than not.

I'm also not big about class choice and I let my brother handle the customization stuff since I found them confusing. I won't deny that they were more in-depth, but I still don't think it made the game better, it just added more confusion to aspects that didn't really need to be that in-depth.

The story was also good, but I felt like the story was good throughout the entire trilogy, of which ME1 was only the first part - it's good on its own, but it's great in how it set up the rest of the series. I also really don't care for Horror anything, as we've discussed before, but if you're referring to the robot zombies...eh, I don't think they were intended to be scary?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NaviAndMii

@CanisWolfred My bad - I did a quick Google Image Search for 'Final Fantasy Battle' and just grabbed the most OTT image I could find!

It still gives a sense of what I don't like in the JRPG's I've played - an overcrowded HUD, numbers popping out at you like crazy etc - and, by issuing commands to the protagonist(s), I'm often left feeling somewhat disconnected from the action as well...in Pokémon, my character is issuing commands to the monsters, so it feels like I'm issuing commands to my monsters - in other JRPG's I've played, I seem to be issuing commands to my own character(s), which feels quite immersion-breaking in that sense (ie. issuing commands to myself (?) - if that makes sense?)

I've always wanted to play more JRPG's, but obviously just end up picking the wrong ones to suit my tastes! ..it's the ones at the other end of the spectrum to Pokémon that I just can't seem to get in to for some reason

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic