Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,741 to 11,760 of 12,088

kkslider5552000

I never fully got people being butthurt about games being exclusive. There's a billion quality games on every system nowadays, are you really mad one more won't be on it? ESPECIALLY as a Nintendo fan, where outside of Gamecube it was an entirely separate world from the competition the vast majority of the time until the Switch (and not even because of the PS4 era Switch ports, but more because most popular games aren't actually even remotely AAA anymore), it feels ludicrous to complain about it now.

I always remember when that was the rumor for the sequel to the Tomb Raider reboot, that it was gonna be Xbox exclusive and everyone was so mad. Why? It's just another Uncharted now, Sony will get actual Uncharted...and a billion other games, who cares?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FishyS

@kkslider5552000 I feel like most people are just greedy and want all the games. 😝 I certainly don't think it's unfair when a game is exclusively on a different system, but that doesn't stop me from shaking my fist at the world for denying me a chance to play that game.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Snatcher

@kkslider5552000 I hope Nintendo fanboys aren’t the one getting mad about that, Nintendo has a boat load of first party’s and exclusives. Also if they didn’t it would be stupid, litrally what reason would there be to get any other consoles, it would ruin the fun.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 The only thing I can get is if a game goes from being a long time exclusive on one console to hopping over to another, with the gameplay being something not offered on other consoles. It kind of screws people over who wish to play it, because they don't want to buy a singular console for one game. Like, (This isn't the case and we know it now) Persona 3 Reload being advertised for Xbox first, which made people feel upset that it might've been an Xbox Exclusive title, as the original Persona 3 was a PS game, and the series itself is pretty unique. Some people bought a playstation for future Persona games as well.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jedgamesguy

Slim_in_Blue wrote:

@TheJGG I totally agree with you, the characters in P4 are singlehandedly what shot it up to be my favorite game of all time. P5 has a great cast too and still has my all time favorite Persona character with Sumi and third semester is probably the series' peak arc, but it feels like half the time Joker is the ultimate mutual friend which sucks. You never see Sumi interact with any of the Thieves other than Akechi and it's criminal. I don't think it helps that each arc minus endgame mostly focuses on the villain instead of the new party member and you mostly need to do the character's Confidant for their arc.
P4 though, every character of the Investigation Team interacts with every other character and it's incredible. You'd never expect, say, Rise and Kanji to get along, and they might not get along really, but they at least talk to each other. They feel like a smaller and tighter-knit group which fits with the small-town vibe of the whole game. P4 was the only game in the series to actually make me cry and it was thanks to the Golden ending's epilogue and seeing all the group interact with each other and just being genuinely great friends. I'd love to go into more detail and look at P3 as well, but this thread's probably not the best place for it considering it's not a Persona thread.
One last bit though, will absolutely echo the praise for the cast. Each VA fits perfectly and most of the substitute choices in spin-offs are solid as well with some being on par with the originals like Matthew Mercer as Kanji in Arena Ultimax and Dancing. Really the only cast I had actual problems with was 3's (I have a lot of hot takes about P3 for that matter), but 4 has a near-perfect cast.

That’s it. The small town vibe really sells this cast because there’s a lot more character moments. The town of Inaba is meant to be a very boring and monotonous location, so more emphasis is placed on characters interacting with each other instead of interacting with certain locations (of which there’s like five in Persona 4 lol). You’re also right about the villains, they were meant to be symbols for the seven sins of humanity in Persona 5 and ended up taking some shine away from the characters (only presenting Kamoshida and Ann as foils for lust, and Yusuke and Madarame as foils for vanity, etc) and more their relationships with the villains. In Persona 4 the villains are the characters’ shadow selves, so there’s a lot less “ooooh look this villain is super duper bad!” and more “oh, I never knew that about this new character,”. Same applies to the dungeons too, they’re projections of the characters, not the villains. You could say P5’s tomb palace is well executed in the story because the palace ruler and the character recruited are the same.

What I do appreciate about Persona 5’s Royal content is how little it feels tacked on. There’s hints here and there about the upcoming third semester and we meet the new characters very early on to establish a rapport, in addition to all the new events to give them time to shine. And they do shine, Kasumi’s a top three character in the game even on a bad day. With Persona 4 Golden we just meet Marie once, get introduced to her, and then after the end of the main story we pick up with the new stuff.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

My feeling about 5 is that the base game peaks during Kamoshida's palace, while Royal peaks at the Royal content. It feels like the game has way too many villains, to the point where not many actually get to showcase why you should despise them. For example, Shido. Shido is meant to be this big bad that the entire game builds up, but he only really ever has one interaction with Joker during the events of the game before his actual arc, so you're pretty much left with a subpar villain character for most of the game who doesn't really even show his face often. Compare this to a character like Kamoshida, who is constantly around, making you feel an oppressive feeling the entirety of the time you go through that whole thing. He stops you every time you walk past him, only to berate you and treat you like trash, with you being unable to really do a thing about it due to his authority. You grow to genuinely despise him and his presence, especially for the things which he does and basically gets away with at the time, so when you end up taking him down in game, it feels like genuine catharsis.

BrintaPap

Speaking of P5, I said it before somewhere but the “dating” part of the game where Joker dates the other girls is so bad. You basically lend them an ear and they fall in love in you. I honestly do not see why some people think it’s great.

Also Anns theme is sexual abuse/being sexualised but she herself, ironically, is sexualised by the devs itself whilst being only 16. 16 year olds barely have breasts her size but even if she were the outlier that by-the-power-of-the-designers-hand has big oppai (breasts) she still does not to stand so bend over showing her curves/cleavage. Look up her ps4 theme and tell me she is not sexualized.

BrintaPap

Slim_in_Blue

@TheJGG The fact that the desert/tomb Palace and the third semester Palace are two of my favorites in the whole game I think proves how well P4's character-driven structure works. In the case of the desert Palace, it's a full HALF of the character's Confidant and is a pretty great arc on its own before accounting for one of the more memorable party member Confidants and one of the better Confidants overall. Seeing how more than half of P4's dungeons follow that template, it makes sense that if you like that Palace you'd like P4. As for third semester, the fact that it's foreshadowed so much in the base game and both Kasumi and the antagonist are the main focus (and how the antagonist presents a choice you might actually have to think about) means it also falls heavily into that party member-driven style. It definitely does help that Kasumi is more fleshed out than Marie (and that I just like her character better, both arc and personality I think she's a more interesting character), but if someone doesn't like Kasumi it could really mess up third semester. But it seems like most people are at a bare minimum ok with Kasumi so most people agree third semester is great.
@VoidofLight I think the villain that definitely feels most disconnected from the main story is Kaneshiro. Shido at least with most of the Thieves has some connection to them and generally does, meaning that at least in the context of the characters they have a reason to fight him other than "corrupt politician". With Kaneshiro, Makoto just sees that students are getting taken by the mafia and then blackmails the Thieves into dealing with him because she has evidence of them being the Thieves. Even once Makoto joins the team it still feels like you're just fighting Kaneshiro out of obligation, even though Makoto kinda has to drop the blackmail now since she's part of the Thieves.
@BrintaPap Me personally, the main appeal of Confidants isn't really the whole aspect of dating your favorite character as much as it is seeing them get more character development. Haru's arc in the main game isn't that good and she gets heavily sidelined thanks to a certain cat, but her Confidant is actually really good and does a lot to help her character. The whole idea of romancing one of them is just a little extra thing for whichever character is my favorite. You think it's bad in P5, if you play P3 as the male protagonist you're FORCED into dating every female Confidant/Social Link!
As for what you said about Ann... yeah I'll agree with you there. Atlus is a very Japanese company and they make stories very grounded in anime tropes, and having one "fan-service" character like that is pretty standard for anime, at least from what I've seen since I'm the only Persona fan to ever claim to "not be a huge anime guy". I love Persona, but this stuff is just bad and hopefully Atlus gets their game together with P6.

Just a guy who likes games

BrintaPap

@Slim_in_Blue never played any persona before p5, but yeah I watch anime myself and they always do that there. But in Persona 5 I just found it BS regarding Ann.
Kinda weird having that in P3.

The confidant system is great and I have nothing to complain about that. It really was only the romance options in the game with the ladies that made me go what the?

BrintaPap

VoidofLight

What gets me about Persona 5 is that the game makes Kamoshida out to be a villain because he is a creep towards teenage girls, and is dating them, then you later can have Joker date his teacher and other fully grown adult women. It just feels off having the main protagonist have the ability to do something which the game tries to make a point in saying is bad. It's why I hope Persona 6 has some sort of adult cast, so that dating adult characters won't be as weird.

Matt_Barber

I'd say that all the female adult confident relationships in P5 come across as highly suspect. If Joker isn't romancing his teacher's kinky side hustle, he's either playing guinea pig for a maverick rogue doctor's drug experiments, getting flat out scammed by a fortune teller or hanging out with a sozzled journalist at a seedy bar. Sae seems to be the only adult in the game who knows the meaning of the word boundaries.

Still, these are all such well worn wish-fulfillment tropes in Japanese media that they're scarcely worth batting an eyelid over, unless you're making an out-of-genre recommendation for the game.

Matt_Barber

Anti-Matter

I really hate code in box practice for some upcoming Switch games and moreover the already released games.
I mean why waste the plastic just for empty case and no cartridge at all ?
Is the cartridge cost still expensive for some developers and they cheat out by sell the games by code in box or the popularity of Nintendo Switch really turned some developers become greedy and choose code in box to minimize the expenses and gain more profit ?
Code in box is a legit scam practice in my opinion.
I hate to see when popularity really blinded peoples into greedy.
That means being popular (too much) is a bad thing.
This is the reason I started to have less interest with Switch games when code in box still swarming around.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

I posted here since my unpopular opinion considered as trolling by some peoples here.
Geez...
I didn't troll.
Peoples need to chill out with my completely different opinion.
I have different opinion about Charles Martinet departure as I don't have that much attachment with him in term of his voice for Mario.
Will I miss him? Not really, I can moving on with different voice actor.
Also, I didn't grew up by N64 and GameCube games during my teenhood so I have less attachment with Mario voice by Charles Martinet and personally I'm already tired with his signature Italian accent catchphrases.
It doesn't mean his voice acting is bad, it just I have less interest with his Italian accent all the time.
It was quite cringey to say any words with that accent for a whole time in my opinion.
I prefer character who can talk in full sentences like Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank games than silent character like Mario / Link as I grew up with the voice acting standard from 3rd party games.
So when Charles Martinet departured, I didn't feel sad or happy, I just being neutral (or maybe a little bit indifferent) considering I have less attachment with him. I felt sad when the original voice actor / actress of The Sims 1 PC passed away long time ago because I grew up by their Simlish language from The Sims 1 games on PC and PS2.

Anti-Matter

dmcc0

@Anti-Matter I get why the do the code in a box - visibility on store shelves without the cost of the physical cart - but during a time when plastic waste and environmental issues are such a hot topic it does seem like a ridiculous concept to manufacture the case/insert and ship it halfway across the world with nothing but a code inside. Even more ridiculous when you consider that online retailers also sell code in a box games, so effectively shipping the empty box a second time.

To be fair, this isn't only an issue with Switch games - PS5 and Xbox Series games don't run from the disc either anymore as they need the data transfer rates of their internal storage - the disc isn't fast enough - so they are essentially just an installer with the disc being used as a licence key once the game has been installed. I guess with the disc you are still able to sell it on/trade/loan it to a friend etc unlike the code in a box though.

dmcc0

VoidofLight

@dmcc0 That isn't how PS5 or Xbox Series X discs work. With a Digital code, you have until the server goes down to redeem it and use it. You can only get access to the game through the digital storefront on the console, and once that goes down the game becomes useless unless you already have it downloaded onto the console itself. With a game disc, you can play the game without an internet connection, so long as the game itself doesn't need the internet to download. Sure, you won't have access to the updates, but you'll still have access to the core of the game itself. The game needs the disc to run if you have a physical copy, and it works like how installing a game on a computer used to work before we got rid of disc drives on computers.

dmcc0

@VoidofLight Wasn't really commenting on whether you needed an internet connection to install. What I meant was you're not actually playing the game from the disc anymore like say PS1/PS2 - once it's installed on the console the disc is little more than a physical licence key. The optical drive definitely isn't fast enough to run a Series X game - they only run from the internal SSD (or the expansion card). I guess the PS5 is the same but don't have one, so can't check for sure. There are more and more games that are just a small installer on the disc and require an initial download though (not just the inevitable day one patch) - there a recent CoD game that had less than 100MB on the disc if I remember correctly.

dmcc0

VoidofLight

@dmcc0 I mean, there are some games that don't put the full game on the disc, but for the most part, most of them do. It's pretty much no different from the era of computers having you install your games before you play them. With PCs, the games weren't run off the disc itself. You still needed the disc in the computer to play the game, but the game had to be installed.

dmcc0

@VoidofLight that's exactly what I'm saying, the disc is an installer and a licence key - just like it was on PCs back in the day. Makes sense that the disc based consoles are like this given they are essentially PCs (or using off the shelf PC parts at least).

As the games get bigger, less chance they'll have the full game on there too. XBox Smart Delivery games usually don't even have the Series Version on the disc (just the XBox 1 version) and require a download. Sure, you can play it from the disc, but you'll be playing the previous gen version.

dmcc0

FishyS

Anti-Matter wrote:

I prefer character who can talk in full sentences like Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank games than silent character like Mario / Link as I grew up with the voice acting standard from 3rd party games

Mario is an interesting case because he doesn't talk much but still has a personality. Link, on the other hand, doesn't talk at all and barely has any personality. Which is one of the reasons I want to play as Zelda instead; Link is just kinda dull. I think Pokemon games (especially Arceus) can also be hurt by the refusal to give a personality to the main character.

I've never played Ratchet and Clank, but in terms of platformers I kinda hate it when Sonic talks. They gave him full sentences and a personality, but in my opinion they gave him a semi bad personality and horrible dialogue. 😝 In Sonic's case I would much prefer him stay mostly silent. For more rpg-ish games I definitely prefer some personality and dialogue.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Anti-Matter

@FishyS
Maybe it still a different situation for some gamers.
Take one example of 3rd party game 3D platformer Kao the Kangaroo.
That 3D platformer game have voice acting, the main character talk in full sentences and have personality, the game has CGI, the game has solid 3D platformer gameplay, I became like the game after watching the gameplay from Youtube.

About Sonic talking and having personality, actually I prefer him talk and have some personality rather than being silent.
SEGA can working again with better dialogue lines for Sonic.
Maybe I have different preference as I grew up by 3rd party games standard so when I see 1st party Nintendo games are still stagnant with old fashioned way, I have less impression with them.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic