Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,761 to 10,780 of 12,088

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
The gameplay of Dragons Dawn of New Riders has some similarities as classic zelda games after I got more information about that game (cut the grass, dungeons maze, melee attack, etc)
I prefer playing this Dragons game over than zelda games after I dared myself to get into that Dreamworks games since the game is not really popular, that means it has some hidden gem quality than zelda games that in my opinion the popularity of zelda games was really overrated.
Take a look of the gameplay.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

Not sure whether unpopular opinion but I think there should be more content toggles in games. Gears is a fantastic example of how to use content toggles like the franchise is very well known for its gore (e.g. the most common weapon has a chainsaw attached which you can use on enemies) but you can completely turn off all gore if you want. I prefer playing with gore off.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kermit1doesmath

@Grumblevolcano I'd love toggles for games to turn off gore or blood (or both). Streamer friendly modes I guess you could call them.

dysgraphia awareness human

Sunsy

@Anti-Matter I'm sitting here seeing Outright Games make games based off Spirit Untamed and Dragons, and I'm still waiting for a Trolls game. Come on Outright Games, you clearly have the DreamWorks license. sigh

Consider that an unpopular opinion, I wish more cartoon games came out on console and PC, than phones. I miss playing them. So happy with Smurfs Mission Vileaf and My Little Pony: A Maretime Bay Adventure.

@Grumblevolcano You're not the only one. While I do have blood on in some games, there's other games where I might like to tone it down, or turn it off. Maybe nostalgia from a time when I turned it off, or even performance. I remember disabling blood on an old PC game (want to say mid 2000's) gave me a bit of an FPS boost.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Dogorilla

Pizzamorg wrote:

I think the 30fps versus 60fps debate is fascinating because in my direction it always goes in one direction.
People who have never experienced 60fps gaming say 30fps is fine, and that'll remain true for them up until the point they actually experience 60fps and then try and go back and try to play the same title in 30fps and find it borderline unplayable.

I dunno, Mario Kart 8 on Wii U drops to 30fps if you have more than 2 players locally and it's noticeable but never bothered me. And when Rocket League added a setting for a lower framerate but better graphics I switched to that and didn't even notice a different in the framerate (though the visuals don't look that much better to me either).

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Pizzamorg

Dogorilla wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

I think the 30fps versus 60fps debate is fascinating because in my direction it always goes in one direction.
People who have never experienced 60fps gaming say 30fps is fine, and that'll remain true for them up until the point they actually experience 60fps and then try and go back and try to play the same title in 30fps and find it borderline unplayable.

I dunno, Mario Kart 8 on Wii U drops to 30fps if you have more than 2 players locally and it's noticeable but never bothered me. And when Rocket League added a setting for a lower framerate but better graphics I switched to that and didn't even notice a different in the framerate (though the visuals don't look that much better to me either).

Are you playing on an old TV? Because I can't think of any other reason as to how you'd not notice fidelity and performance differences.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

@kaisu

kaisu wrote:

@Pizzamorg some people just can't see or don't care. Human vision and perception isn't equal, some people have some biological/mental differences that maybe bluries the difference to them. I know some people that dislike 60fps because it make things weird to them.

The whole "human limitation" thing is a load of bunkum, but it's deffo true that movies and TV shows in 60fps looks awful. But in games it's an objective improvement over 30fps, outside of the outliers as listed before.

Pizzamorg

kaisu wrote:

Yeah, i dislike movies over 24 fps too, it fells kinda unnatural, but i don't see 60fps as a objective upgrade on all games. On a thechnical level? Sure, it increase refresh rate. But some games use lower FPS as stylistc choice (be it on animations or the entire game) like some handraw style ones. And some games benefits more from higher resolution than higher framerates (like cinematic and exploration focused games) but fast paced action? Yes, 60fps is basically a need

That is exactly the point I was making. There are of course genres where 30fps is fine, or if a game is built around 30fps (and has a lot of motion blur probs) then it can certainly work. But any game that requires any kind of precision - action games, shooters, brawlers - whatever, you are playing an objectively inferior version at 30fps.

Pizzamorg

kaisu wrote:

@Pizzamorg oh sorry, i thought you were talking about movies when you talked about outliers

Oh no, I meant like turn based RPGs, puzzle games, simulators etc like obviously none of those need to be in 60fps. But whenever you see someone playing like an FPS (for example) at 30 fps and say it's good, they clearly haven't played it in 60 fps and then tried to go back again. Either that or are playing on an old school TV/monitor that doesn't have a high enough refresh rate for them to see the difference.

Dogorilla

Pizzamorg wrote:

Are you playing on an old TV? Because I can't think of any other reason as to how you'd not notice fidelity and performance differences.

No, the TV I use my Switch on is fairly modern. The one my Wii U is plugged into is a bit older but as I said, I did notice a difference with Mario Kart, it just didn't bother me. I think it's just a personal thing, not everyone is really affected by framerate.

Edit: Oh, and another example: I've been playing Overwatch 2 on Switch which apparently runs at 30fps and it's fine to me, even though I used to play the first game on PC at 60fps (my computer can't run it very well any more though which is why I downloaded 2 on Switch instead).

Edited on by Dogorilla

Funky Kong

Pizzamorg

[quote=Dogorilla]

Pizzamorg wrote:

Edit: Oh, and another example: I've been playing Overwatch 2 on Switch which apparently runs at 30fps and it's fine to me, even though I used to play the first game on PC at 60fps (my computer can't run it very well any more though which is why I downloaded 2 on Switch instead).

This is exactly the kind of example people always use, and where I think a lot of the unintentional misinformation comes from. Like I am sure there is nothing intentionally malicious in your statement, but you playing a game years ago, and now playing it today, doesn't mean anything.

Our brains have a funny way of altering our memories of games. Like when we go back and play like PS1 games or whatever and really face how they actually look and run, versus the photorealistic and buttery smooth gameplay that exists in our memories.

I guarantee if you played Overwatch 2 on PC at 60fps (on a more modern PC, I guess, if yours is struggling to run it at 60fps you can't use it for comparison) and then tried to play it in 30fps right after, you'd feel it. There is absolutely no way you wouldn't, unless you were flat-out in denial.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000

I dunno dude even as a 60 FPS enjoyer, I also grew up with N64 games and I always adjust fine to those. I don't find 60 FPS gameplay to be something I ever consciously think about while I'm playing a game. (I think about how they look at 60 FPS more than that) I just kinda naturally adjust to such things.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I dunno dude even as a 60 FPS enjoyer, I also grew up with N64 games and I always adjust fine to those. I don't find 60 FPS gameplay to be something I ever consciously think about while I'm playing a game. (I think about how they look at 60 FPS more than that) I just kinda naturally adjust to such things.

But again, this is such a straw argument. An N64 game doesn't exist in 60fps outside of some sort of dodgy emulation, and those games were built for the technology at the time regardless. It isn't like a modern game being squashed down to 30 fps, when it is really designed for modern hardware that should be able to run it 60 plus. There is absolutely no comparison here.

I will say though, the second half of your post is a good take. You shouldn't notice 60 fps, it should just feel smooth and natural. You should only notice when a game drops sharply and significantly below that. Generally, as long as you are holding in around the 45 to 60 fps region and aren't sharply dropping up and down between that baseline you are going to have a good experience. Anything below 45 is when you start getting into rough territory and anything above 60 is when you start getting the diminishing returns.

Dogorilla

Pizzamorg wrote:

I guarantee if you played Overwatch 2 on PC at 60fps (on a more modern PC, I guess, if yours is struggling to run it at 60fps you can't use it for comparison) and then tried to play it in 30fps right after, you'd feel it. There is absolutely no way you wouldn't, unless you were flat-out in denial.

Sure, I'd probably notice a difference. But I've given you other examples where I'd played a game more recently before switching to 30fps and it didn't bother me. I'm not denying that 60 is better, it obviously is, but every game I've played at a consistent 30fps has felt smooth and natural to me.

Funky Kong

Pizzamorg

Dogorilla wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

Sure, I'd probably notice a difference. But I've given you other examples where I'd played a game more recently before switching to 30fps and it didn't bother me. I'm not denying that 60 is better, it obviously is, but every game I've played at a consistent 30fps has felt smooth and natural to me.

And that is why I included all those disclaimers in the original post, because for some reason whenever this discourse comes up, people always drop a bunch of bad faith arguments to try and act like 30 fps is fine, when it really isn't outside of some ultra-specific scenarios or if it is all you have ever experienced.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Mario_1985

When I first played 60fps games, I never noticed the difference. I can only tell the difference if I play a game at 60fps and then play it at a lower frame rate; Or if the frame rate drops. I don't mind either 30fps or 60fps, as long as the frame rate is constant.

Mario_1985

Dogorilla

@Pizzamorg How is it a bad faith argument? I'm not trying to convince anyone that their opinion is wrong, but you said you hadn't met anyone who'd played the same game in 60fps then 30 and was fine with it, and I'm telling you I have done exactly that. The disclaimers in your post have nothing to do with my examples.

Funky Kong

Pizzamorg

Dogorilla wrote:

@Pizzamorg How is it a bad faith argument? I'm not trying to convince anyone that their opinion is wrong, but you said you hadn't met anyone who'd played the same game in 60fps then 30 and was fine with it, and I'm telling you I have done exactly that. The disclaimers in your post have nothing to do with my examples.

Because you playing two versions of a title years apart from one another, or on bad hardware, mean absolutely nothing. I didn't realise such a completely non-point would not to be disclaimed.

Dogorilla

@Pizzamorg I'm talking about the first examples I gave, there was nothing wrong with the hardware.

Funky Kong

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg It really isn't that way for me. I play both 60 FPS and 30 FPS games, and it doesn't bother me when going back to 30 FPS.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic