Forums

Topic: Universal Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 1,990

TOUGHDUDE94

@CanisWolfred now I know to go with a new console that 32gb.

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

DefHalan

Does anyone have any recommendations for Gaming Headsets for PC?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Tobiaku

If I buy a game from Japan via Amazon, and thery ship it With the Amazon global thing, they wont ship it via DHL will they? On one hand, their price is much better than PlayAsia, but I don't trust DHL.

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Buizel

Any recommendations for a 3D platformer that's not (takes a deep breath) Mario/Banjo/Conker/Spyro/Jak/Ratchet/Sly/Psychonauts, but at a similar level of quality as these series? I feel like I'm exhausting my options!

At least 2'8".

gcunit

@Buizel Have you tried the Oddworld games? Only the latter two (Munch's Odyssee and Stranger's Wrath) are 3D, but the series as a whole seems fairly well thought of, and I picked up all four titles recently for Steam cheaply (probably a Humble Bundle or something, don't remember).

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Buizel

@gcunit Are they platformers? I've never really considered them as such, although I've only briefly played the original Abe's and the remaster. I do, however, have the full collection from a Steam or Humble sale, so I should probably get round to them.

At least 2'8".

gcunit

@Buizel Depends how you define 'platformer', I guess, but yes, 'platform' is a tag in Steam for three of them: both the 2D games, and Munch's Odyssee. Stranger's Wrath is FPS adventure by the looks of it.

But Munch's Odyssee looks pretty platformy to me - http://store.steampowered.com/app/15740/

Edited on by gcunit

CanisWolfred

Buizel wrote:

Any recommendations for a 3D platformer that's not (takes a deep breath) Mario/Banjo/Conker/Spyro/Jak/Ratchet/Sly/Psychonauts, but at a similar level of quality as these series? I feel like I'm exhausting my options!

...You pretty much did. :/

• Ty the Tazmanian Tiger
  • The Legend of Kay
  • Pacman World 1 & 2 (not 3)
  • Bomberman 64, Hero, and Generations

That's all I got...and none are on the level of quality you're asking for. Do you really think something that good, in a genre that people nowadays are seriously desperate for, would've gone unnoticed for this long? If you're willing to lower the bar, you'll at least find more to play...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Buizel

@gcunit It does look it...hmmm, maybe I'll skip straight to Munch's Odyssee as it looks more like what I'm after at the moment.

@CanisWolfred I'm fully aware of this, and thought I could at least fish out the "best of the rest". Thanks though, looks like it might be worth pulling out the old Gamecube...

Ty and Kay are on Steam...excellent! (especially for a platform that's pretty starved of the genre!)

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

CanisWolfred

Bomberman Hero should be on the Wii VC if you have access to it. Bomberman 64 is the only one that's difficult to get ahold of nowadays...last I checked, at least...

Also, there might be a couple license games here and there for you to try. I recall there being two for the Gamecube, but the details escape me. I liked Kung-fu Panda for the 360, though it was more of an action-adventure game, and I'm not sure how the other versions (Wii, DS, PS3) fair in comparison.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Buizel

@CanisWolfred I'll generally only touch licensed games if I'm particularly fond of the license in question. Still, you've given me plenty to go by so thanks.

At least 2'8".

gcunit

@Buizel If you have Steam, maybe check out The Last Tinker: City of Colours, as it's going for £1.69 at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/app/260160/

Reading some reviews it's evidently fairly simple and kid-friendly, and doesn't have a jump button, but at that price it looks tempting.

'Refunct' seems to be well liked to, if you're after something a little bit different.

Edited on by gcunit

CanisWolfred

Buizel wrote:

@CanisWolfred I'll generally only touch licensed games if I'm particularly fond of the license in question. Still, you've given me plenty to go by so thanks.

Eh, just thought I'd try, since there were quite a few good license games from back in the day (and all of them have been thoroughly buried with time )

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Buizel

@gcunit Oh wow The Last Tinker certainly looks interesting...strangely maybe even too bright and colourful (which is something I'd rarely say about games!). I've picked it up.

@CanisWolfred Definitely the case with some games...in fact, licensed games appear a lot in "hidden gems" lists. It's strange to think of how many license-based 3D platformers we had in the 5th gen, and how sparse releases are for the genre now.

At least 2'8".

gcunit

@Buizel Me too

CanisWolfred

@gcunit @Buizel Let me know how it is when you get around to it. It's frequently on sale, and I'm under the destinct impression that's because it was utter crap, at least at release. I have no experiene with it, though, and with updates these days, the scathing reviews it recieved at launch might no longer apply.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

So I am thinking of picking up a Mario Party game for my weekly multiplayer game night with the guys from work. So I was wondering which one is the best. I have all the console's that they all came on so that's not a problem.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Buizel

Tasuki wrote:

So I am thinking of picking up a Mario Party game for my weekly multiplayer game night with the guys from work. So I was wondering which one is the best. I have all the console's that they all came on so that's not a problem.

General consensus is that 1 to 3 are the best, although personally I think 4 is up there too. My personal picks are 2 (which is the only one on the Virtual Console, at least in the UK) and 4 (I think you can pick this up fairly cheaply for Gamecube).

They really go downhill from 5 onwards. 5 to 8 are acceptable, I've not played 9, and 10? Waste of time =/

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

ianl579

I've been thinking about a Dragon Quest game to play now that DQ8 is out. It would be my first in the series. From 4-9, which one would you recommend?

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

CanisWolfred

LegendOfPokemon wrote:

I've been thinking about a Dragon Quest game to play now that DQ8 is out. It would be my first in the series. From 4-9, which one would you recommend?

4 was my start, and I felt like it eased you into the gameplay style of Dragon Quest rather well. Honestly though, you couldn't go wrong with any of the ones you listed. Maaaybe DQ7, but only because its suuuch a slow burn, and always has been. DQ8 has the best pacing while still being a meaty game, IMO. I haven't played DQ6, so I guess I can't say anything there. DQ5 is far and away my personal favorite in terms of story. DQ9 is pretty swell stuff, too, and its the only entry to really spice up the combat system since DQ2.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic