Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 1,051

RR529

CrazyHead (Netflix Original) - British series about a couple of women who fight demons, while trying to manage their social lives as well. I didn't care for it, and don't think I'd watch a second season if it got one. It had quite a bit of dark/crass humour written into it, which just doesn't gel with me, and I just never felt myself really getting into it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Call Me Francis (Netflix Original) - South American drama about the life events that shaped the character of the current Pope. Some stuff probably went unnoticed by me since I'm not a Catholic (and don't know jack about Argentine history), but overall I thought it was a pretty interesting watch. Some of the stuff the country's military dictatorship did in the 70's was horrific, and was shocked to see.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

@CanisWolfred, hmm, I haven't watched any of Netflix's animated series yet, but maybe I'd try that one (especially since season 1 will only be 4 episodes long).

Apparently, their exclusive Voltron series is pretty good, (at least based on the few random comments I've seen on their YouTube channel), so who knows, this might end up being decent.

Also makes me wonder if that rumored Zelda series was true at one point. Maybe they wanted a game related series, the Zelda series fell through, and they approached Konami about Castlevania?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Medici: Masters of Florence (Netflix Original) - Took awhile for me to get around to this one, which was a shame, because I liked it more than I thought I would (moreso than the last 3 or 4 things I watched).

Set in 1400's Europe, it's a drama centering around the politics of Medieval Florence, focusing on the titular Medici family of bankers. It's not mind blowing, but if you at all have an interest in these kinds of shows, this one is definitely worth a go. Just be warned, as these shows tend to go, there's some nudity sprinkled throughout (there's also violence, but probably because it's focused more on politics than battle, it didn't seem excessive from what I could tell).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

So, has anyone else watched Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix Original) yet?

I thought it was pretty good, and wasn't quite sure who the end villain was going to be since there were so many players.

there weren't that many references to the greater MCU in this one, just 2 mentions of "the Incident", and a reference to the Hulk, which I actually think was a mistake in this case. Surely a large organisation such as the Hand, with it's intent on world domination or some such, would be considering potential confrontations with the Avengers, or Spider-Man, who we know as of Civil War has been very open in the New York crime fighting scene at this point. I'm not saying it should be a major part of the story or anything, but an Easter Egg on the same level as the newspapers in Daredevil wouldn't have hurt the flow of the show. Maybe a computer screen in the background of the Hand's information gathering room (the place Danny tore up) could have had information they had gathered about Tony Stark or something? Just a small Easter Egg like that.

I understand wanting to keep the Netflix series' separate from the main MCU due to their darker nature, but at this point I think it would have been better if they had been completely seperated from it in their own continuity.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JoeDiddley

Psychoville just got added in the UK. I would recommend Black Mirror too.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

RR529

Samurai Gourmet (Netflix Original) - Laid back & humorous series about a 60 year old retiree who isn't used to his newfound freedom in life, but is encouraged by fantasies of a wandering samurai to indulge in his wildest culinary desires (should he have a beer in the middle of the day? Seek out a restraunt from his youth? Confront an intolerant chef subbing the patronage of western tourists? etc.).

Pretty good watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Jhena

Would it be ok to post about series that are not necessarily on netflix and not necessarily good?

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

RR529

Five Came Back (Netflix Original)

3 part miniseries documentary about 5 media defining film directors of the past (such as John Ford & Frank Capra), and how their various experiences during WWII influenced their work, as told by 5 of today's most legendary directors (like Steven Spielberg & Guillermo Del Toro). Really interesting watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Arrow season 5 - This season should have been epic, but it just... wasn't. Everything came full circle this year, but for some reason I just never really got into it. Maybe because the new team never really grew on me, I dunno'. Season finale was pretty good, though.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 2 - Watched this back in April, so I have no idea why I haven't brought it up yet. It may be full of plot holes if you pay close enough attention, but the time jumping adventures of the crew are just so fun I don't care (and Mic "Heat Wave" Rory is easily the best personality in the entire "Arroverse"). This season sees the gang taking on an all star cast of past Arrow & Flash villains hoping to change their destinies, and it was just great. Up there with the Flash as my favorite show of the bunch so far.

the Flash season 3 - Awesome season. The villain was fantastic with some great story twists, it continues to have the best relationships out of all the "Arrowverse" shows (they really feel real, and again this show gets me emotional), and heck, even the musical crossover episode with Supergirl was fun. Also, any mainstream show that mentions Dragon Ball Z is pretty awesome in my book, lol.

Supergirl season 2 - Season starts out strong, but I wasn't all too fussed with who the end villain was, though I'll admit the season finale was pretty dope. I was hoping for a big confrontation with Lilian Luthor & Cadmus, or the fall of Lena Luthor, but they sort of got sidelined once the Daxans showed up. Wasn't big on how much time they spent on the sister's storyline (seems like a lot of time spent to say, "we have an insider in the Police force"), I feel like J'onn's storyline was cut too short in the season, and while the whole Guardian thing has promise, especially with a new helmet, it just felt like busy-work to keep James relevant this season.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - My first venture into anime (on Netflix), and I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the original film, but still worth a look for anyone interested in the series, or anime/sci-fi in general.

The only thing is Netflix only has the first 3 parts (they'd need part 4 & the 2015 film to finish it out, though each part is it's own story so it's not a huge deal). Oh, and only parts 1&2 are both Dub/Sub (part 3 is Sub only). Maybe it's Funimation's way of making sure you buy the rest if you like what you see here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

GLOW (Netflix Original) - Dramedy set in the 80's about a group of outcast women in L.A. who take a chance on an upstart TV wrestling project (Gorgeous Women of Wrestling).

It's by the same team behind Orange is the New Black, and while it can be crass (it's definitely a show for mature audiences) I liked it. I found it funny in spots, it had a twist or two I wasn't expecting, and as I grew up watching wrestling, I liked that aspect of the show (especially when they were coming up with their personas). Also, I enjoyed all the 80's music

Tomorrow, Castlevania!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Castlevania (Netflix Original) - It released today so I binged all 4 episodes.

The animation is great, especially the action scenes. It's not often we get a western animated show with such a serious/mature focus, so it's pretty unique for that. However, I personally thought they laid on the mature content a little thick (especially since, prior to release, the director said that while it would be a mature series, they were aiming for a PG-13 vibe). In addition to the buckets of blood, there's tons of disembowelment, and a few F-Bombs throughout. Not that it really bothers me personally, but I figured I should bring it up given their statements prior to release.

Storywise it wasn't bad, but this season was a bit underwhelming in the sense that it was mostly build up, and we'll have to wait until next year to see Belmont take on Dracula's castle. The first episode was pretty good as the set up for the over all story, the next two episodes mostly dealt with Belmot butting heads with the Church, and then things really pick up in episode 4, where we're then told to wait a year...

Honestly, it felt like a "Hellsing lite", where Belmot was at odds with both Dracula's forces of the night and a corrupt Church, who's actions are what brought down Dracula's wrath.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

the Last Kingdom season 1 (Netflix Original) - A pretty typical "sword and sandal" show (with all the blood & nudity you come to expect from these series) that's a worthwhile watch if you're into the genre, but probably won't win you over otherwise.

It's set in England during the middle ages (around the 850 AD, I believe) and sees Uthrad (a warrior of nobile birth) having to choose sides between the English who he was born with, and the invading Danish who raised him. As someone who likes the genre I got into it, but not as much as the other shows in the genre I've seen (the middle ages focus resulted in a much more drab feel, with none of the grand architecture & opulent dress that could be seen in Spartacus, Medici, Marco Polo, Roman Empire: Reign of Blood).

I will watch season 2, but am going to try out something with a bit more color beforehand, probably an anime.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - Mecha anime about Mech pilot Ledo, who arrives on a "Waterworld" esque Earth after being knocked off course through a worm hole, and has to figure out how to live amongst the local population, who's values differ drastically than his own. One of the best things I've seen on Netflix this year.

the Last Kingdom season 2 (Netflix original) - It was alright, and if you're into the sword & sandal genre you could like it, but overall I thought it was just okay. There were things & characters I liked, but overall I prefer the grandiose pomp you often see in Roman & Renaissance era shows, rather than the drab citiscapes you see here (in the Middle/Dark ages).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Haru17

RR529 wrote:

Mic "Heat Wave" Rory is easily the best personality in the entire "Arroverse"

Who are you? XD He just makes me uncomfortable. I think my list of disliked recurring characters / actors in the DC TVerse goes something like Quentin Lance, Captain Cold, Harrison Wells, Martin Stein, Julian Albert, James Olsen, J'onn J'onzz, M'gann M'orzz for not being the Young Justice one, and Maxwell Lord. I may have more Supergirl ones because I watched that all more recently. Anyway, I really like these shows, just... too many alt universes, shoehorned Wells', secret identities, and pointlessly antagonistic both heroes and villains.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

RR529

Surprised this thread hasn't been more busy with the release of the Defenders. Anyhow, since my last post...

Aldnoah.Zero - Mecha anime set in an alternate reality where we discovered advanced tech on Mars, and the Martian colonists have seperated from Earth & the two sides are at war. I wrote an extensive post about it in the anime thread awhile ago, so I won't say much about it here other than I enjoyed it.

100 Million Yen Women (Netflix Original) - Japanese drama about a struggling novelist who finds himself living with 5 women after they each recieved an invitation from an unknown source to live with him. Despite the odd circumstances, Shin (the novelist) chooses to go along with it because the invitations said that each woman must pay him ¥100 Million in rent each month, but in return he may ask them nothing about their pasts. It ended up being a pretty good little mystery series, but unfortunately will probably be overlooked. I liked it, though.

Currently watching the Defenders.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Marvel's the Defenders (Netflix original) - It was pretty exciting seeing the group finally come together, both because of their action scenes together, as well as their personality interactions.

I am glad were finally largely done with the Hand as well. For whatever reason I just never really cared for them as a villain, and maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, but I still don't know where Elektra's super strength came from. Also a tad disappointed that there weren't any references to Spider-Man, who'd I'd imagine would be a big name in New York by now, but I've come to accept that, other than Luke Cage, the Netflix series' distance themselves from the rest of the MCU so much they might as well be in their own seperate universe, for better or worse.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Krull

@RR529 Yeah, The Defenders was pretty decent - my only real bugbear is Iron Fist's action scenes. He's supposed to have trained relentlessly for most of his life in a martial artists' monastery, but he has none of that floaty elusiveness of good kung fu and seems to get hit more often than any other character. It's a shame, because I actually like the character and the throwback to Seventies Golden Harvest flicks.

Daredevil's fight choreography, on the other hand, is fantastic.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic