Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 978

jump

@Link-Hero I think your missing the context. She is NOT saying dealing with sexism is as bad as being a hulk, she is saying she has learned to deal with her anger issues before becoming a Hulk using the examples she mentioned whilst Brucey didn’t learn to deal with his anger issues til after becoming a hulk hence why she’s better at it from the get go. There is a long history of Bruce (an introvert science nerd who kept away from alpha/cut throat professions like lawyering and playing aggressive sports) repressing his feelings rather than managing them in a healthy way which was covered in the Ang Lee's Hulk if you are not familiar with the character’s comic history.

This really is a bit silly, it was ten plus years into the MCU in Endgame when Brucey finally learned to control being Hulk so was able to talk rather than grunt and before that he kept accidently becoming Hulk where he was destroying everything so I’m not sure why people are getting upset that it’s being pointed out she is better at it than him. Lol

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Mioaionios

@jump
Yeah, I agree.
Seems this scene is taken way out of context by people who haven't even seen the show yet.
People see political messages in everything these days.

Mioaionios

jump

@Mioaionios That and people don't seem to get The Hulk isn't actually meant to be good at controlling his rage as a key plot point to have whacky adventures. If Brucey was good at controlling his rage then he would live a normal life rather than being on the run from the military, smashing up SHIELD's flying boat etc which comes from him not controlling it very well. It's like a sitcom if say Succession was about competent people doing business work it would be very boring since all they do is create spreadsheets, read memos etc but by making those people incompetent that's where the lols and stories come from.

Also people need to watch Sandman, one of the greatest comics ever written has finally been made into an amazeballs show which has far more interesting talking points than why does that girl thinks she better than that guy even though she is better than him.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Mioaionios

@jump
I plan on watching the first couple of episodes of The Sandman tonight.
Looking forward to it.

Mioaionios

Fizza

Right, so I'm about to watch She-Hulk for the first time later today (absolutely cannot wait by the way) but I just want to make sure of something: is there any movie I need to watch beforehand in order to better appreciate the show? There's only a select few Marvel movies I haven't seen: Black Widow, Shang-Chi (I really need to get on that one), Captain America Civil War, the Disney+ shows after Loki and (most regrettably) both Guardians of the Galaxy movies. I believe it's a more self-contained story rather than the far-reaching shows prior but I just want to be on the safe side (especially when all the other movies are already on Disney+). Thanks for hearing me out and have a great day!

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Mioaionios

@Fizza
There's only been one episode so far, so I can't be sure, but I don't think you need to have watched the ones you mentioned. Seriously though, watch the Guardians of the Galaxy movies asap, they're great!

Mioaionios

jump

@Fizza Watch Legion, Preacher, The Boys, The Sandman, Watchmen, Daredevil and Harley Quinn instead as they are much better comic book shows!

If you insist on watching She Hulk, this is in the trailer so it's not a spoiler but heads up in case anyway....Daredevil is in it so you should probably watch that and Ed Norton's The Incredible Hulk too since Abomination is in it.

Remember to have a pillow or something to punch when you get so angry because Jen is not as incompetent as Bruce at being Hulk which invalidates all men everywhere apparently.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Fizza

@Mioaionios I was going to watch it in cinemas when I was younger but young me heard there was cursing in it was like 'NOPE!'.

I still regret that decision every day.

Fizza

@jump That Harley Quinn show is the animated one, right? I've had that one on my radar for the longest while so I'll probably take up that suggestion.

jump

@Fizza You should watch them all rather than just MCU as it's like junk food. Junk food is nice every once and while but if you keep eating it all the time it will give you the runs so you need a proper hearty meal too.

Nicolai wrote:

Fizza

@jump Yeah, you're probably right. By the time I watched Eternals last year, I was kind of getting a bit sick of it. Where would you go about watching the shows you've recommended by the way, I'm very interested in all of them after looking into them a bit more

jump

@Fizza You're Irish right? Amazon has The Boys and Preacher, Netflix has The Sandman, All4/E4 (do you have that in Ireland?) has Harley Quinn, Disney+ has Legion and Daredevil and I'm not sure where Watchmen is right now in the UK. Or you ca get a VPN (there's loads of free ones) to mask your IP address as American and get a Hulu/HBO free trial subscription to binge them before it runs out.

Nicolai wrote:

Maxenmus

TheJGG wrote:

@Maxenmus Saying it to the Hulk is like me going to a Formula One driver and saying to them; "You don't know what it's like driving around at 200mph. I've done it and it's super easy. I drive way better than you."

Saying it to THE HULK. One of the more tragic and pitiful superheroes.

Link-Hero wrote:

@Maxenmus
Ok, that scene just killed it for me and I'm very much questioning if I should even watch the show now. She said that line to the Hulk, the freaking Hulk of all people. No, just no. If whoever has watched the clip and doesn't understand why it's a big deal, that tells me a whole lot about you as a person and the problem with a good amount of society.

That's the whole reason I got put off by it, yeah.

Maybe it's taken out of context, but then, maybe don't post clips that will obviously get people to take it out of context? It's poor marketing IMO. When you post the clip of a character saying something dumb, it's not unreasonable for people to take it out of context and think the show is dumb, even if it isn't dumb within context. I think it's a very reasonable emotional reaction.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Mioaionios

@jump
I planned on watching the first two episodes of The Sandman tonight and ended up watching 6 of them.
This has to be one of the most original shows I've ever seen. Never read the comics it's based on but now I kind of want to.

Mioaionios

jump

@Mioaionios I'm glad you like it.

I'm amazed the shows works at all as The Sandman was often considered unfilmable partly due to the main character which drives the shows is an unfathomable God who people can't relate to but they did find a way. Every episode feels different to the last yet still feel like The Sandman, there's also a grand design of interconnectivity (where like the comic) little threads have been planted so once the shows is complete you will be amazed by how it all pulls together which you can only see in hindsight. Future seasons if they are like the comic will be even better than the first as I found the most interesting things in the comics is when it's dealing with The Endless which the first two arcs (which make up this season) barely scratched at.

If you like the show then picking up the comic, The Sandman is considered a comic book masterpiece for very good reasons, actually it’s just considered a masterpiece regardless for it being a comic. Neil Geiman the author was hands on with the tv show but he was also hands on with an audiobook adaptation of The Sandman too which is also really well done with some top notch casting like James McAvoy as Morpheus, Andy Serkis as Matthew, Kat Denning as Death, David Tennant as Loki, Bill Nighy as Destiny etc.

There was another adaptation of Neil Geiman's work (which he co-authored with the late great Terry Pratchett) called Good Omens which had a miniseries on BBC which is also worth a watch too. It's not as genre crossing as The Sandman but it has the same sensibilities and is just as nutty.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Mioaionios

@jump
I looked into the comics a bit a more and it's much more expansive than I expected.
For some reason I was under the impression The Sandman was a limited run like Watchmen. It'd be far too expensive for me right now to get the comics physically. Maybe in a couple of years.

Mioaionios

Maxenmus

Unpopular opinion, or maybe not so unpopular depending on whom you ask: I don't think people should be shamed for not watching a TV show or even playing a game. I mean, I get that it sucks for people to miss out on things you like, but if I say I'll skip a show, maybe for personal reasons, then what's the big deal? If marketing failed to attract a person like me to watch their show, then maybe the fault lies with them.

People keep white-knighting these companies, calling out the people who criticize the show rather than the companies trying to get people to pay for the show in the first place. FYI: shows aren't completely free anymore like in the old days. I don't know how TV in America works. Maybe good shows would appear on TV for free for certain states in America, and you might feel privileged to watch the show on a network that's broadcasting in your state. So it's understandable if you call out someone for harshly criticizing a show when they got it for free. But nowadays, it's all about streaming services, meaning you definitely still have to pay money to watch a show, so I think it's fair to hold companies to a higher standard now.

And besides, I think the problem has more to do with saturation. With thousands of shows coming out every year, it's inevitable that we skip one or ten shows based on the word-of-mouth alone. Maybe we took things out of context, maybe we missed out on great shows because of a few clips, but so freaking what? It's a TV show, not donation for cancer patients. Chill out. If you like a show, that's your business. People need to stop calling out others, especially on Twitter, over "sleeping on a show" and "judging a show from its trailer." Blame the trailer editors, not us.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

jump

I've just watched the suprise! extra episode of The Sandman and it's immensive. I can see why the cat episode was kept as a surprise since too many people would take it a typical of The Sandman rather than as an one shot but Calliope was very much a key part of the story with how it links into the future so I'm not sure why it was not used as a main episode. Unless it's to serve as a teaser into what is to come in the next season?

Nicolai wrote:

Mioaionios

@jump
Even though I loved the first six episodes more than the last five, I adored The Dream of a Thousand Cats segment. That was a really nice surprise.

Mioaionios

WoomyNNYes

@jump Oh, yeah, I just watched The Sandman for the first time over the weekend, and finished the season. I actually skipped that animated cat part and only watched Calliope. I liked the show. It's fine. I see some touches of Doctor Who, but I'm ok with that.

Should I go back and watch the animated cats part?

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic