Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 975

Mioaionios

The Orville had its third season finale this week and I loved it.
It might have been a bit unorthodox for a finale though. There were no big battles or conflicts, but rather a lot of character development of its main cast, interspersed with a ton of humor. It might even have been the funniest episode yet.

The Orville has become my favorite TV show since Star Trek DS9 and I'd be very disappointed if it doesn't get renewed for season 4. Hope we get some good news soon.

Mioaionios

RR529

Just finished up Maken-Ki season 2.

It completely ditched (what little) narrative elements the first season had, and just absolutely indulges in ridiculous fan service scenarios (in one episode for example, a neglected cat transforms all the girls in the school into cat girls, while in another a sentient perverted teddy bear spies on & gropes them at any opportunity). Apparently the studio knew they weren't going to be getting a season 3, so they just went absolutely wild with the stuff.

The only reason to watch this would be if you're interested in fan service (which at points borders on outright lewd content, especially that OVA episode), and to give it credit they don't cut corners in the animation/detail paid to it (I think practically every other fan service show I've ever seen pales in comparison to the effort this one puts in to that aspect).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kermit1doesmath

I've started watching The Office... Geez the first season is a little rough, growing pains but fun growing pains.

dysgraphia awareness human

Maxenmus

@Kermit1 Yeah. I mostly expect 80% of successful TV series to have a shoddy and mediocre first season: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Supernatural, The X-Files, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, South Park, and even Breaking Bad's first season was kinda meh compared to the rest.

I've kinda accepted the first season's growing pains syndrome. It's mostly the writers figuring things out until they nail the formula in the 2nd or 3rd season (or in The Simpsons' case, the 4th).

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus I accept the growing pains too. But it can be fun to see how the show changes for the better or worse,

XandertheWise

shows Im busy with this year currently on Netflix

Stargate SG-1 Moving on to Season 3
Manifest . just added it to My List on Netflix
Naruto. watching the last episode of Season 2 then moving on to Season 3
Walking Dead Season 10. still have the last half to watch
Umbrella Academy. slowly sort of watching it. Only watched the first episode last year then got bored

XandertheWise

Mioaionios

I Am Groot started streaming today on Disney+ and it's really cute.
5 shorts, 5 minutes each but gorgeously animated.
Good for a quick laugh.

Mioaionios

Sunsy

Watched the series finale to TrollsTopia. I was not expecting the series to end the way it did, holy cow, I got emotional. I was expecting the show to set up something for the upcoming Trolls 3. The final episode is about King Trollex (from Trolls World Tour) doing a Troll Exchange Program where a troll travels away to learn about techno troll culture. It's revealed that DJ Suki was the the one who qualified for it. The hardest part was seeing Poppy say good bye to DJ. Then all the characters just sing a bittersweet rendition of the show's them song. Still the episode ended beautifully IMO.

Here's hoping DreamWorks has something great planned for the third movie, not much is known other than it being officially confirmed for November 2023. I'm going to miss this show. The two Trolls TV shows really expanded on the worlds and characters the two movies created.

@Mioaionios Thanks for reminding me, I wanted to watch these I Am Groot shorts, and glad to hear something good about it. Think I'm going to give them a watch this weekend.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

RR529

Yeah, I binged through all the I am Groot shorts myself tonight, and they were pretty cute with quite a few humorous moments. Some of the shots looked kinda wonky, but there were quite a few beautifully realized moments as well.

My only big gripe is that there weren't more of them! Hopefully it's a huge success & they make more.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Also finished off the final season of the Man in the High Castle last night. Really gripping show all the way through IMO, though they definitely make a few bold decisions, especially in that final season that I could see being off putting to mainstream audiences (even a bit disappointing to me).

Really disappointed that when the opportunity finally presented itself in the last episode, that the resistance declined to fly the US flag due to equating the history of American racism to Nazism, and wanted to start fresh. There's certainly discussion to be had there, but I'd rather them ultimately decide to see what the US could be, rather than what it was, and fly the flag.

Other general thoughts are that I'm shocked that they suddenly killed off Joe Blake in the first half of season 3 (he was certainly going down a dark path, but was essentially the co-protagonist with Juliana until then, so it came as a surprise. I was for sure he'd return as a variant at some point, but that never materialized).

Also surprised that Childan made it all the way to the end, and even insinuated that things were finally going to go right for him. Definitely a bit self serving, but he ultimately tried so hard just to fit in, so I was kinda happy for him. Totally had him marked to die/be written off during season one, so was surprised he made it to the end.

Really interesting show, & I'd definitely be interested in seeing spinoffs focusing on other parts of the world (which we didn't really see outside of a few Berlin trips), even if they didn't have the unique hook of the dual Imperial Japanese/Nazi Germany rule.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Maxenmus
This aged as well as modern Simpsons writing - not at all. It's almost kinda depressing in hindsight, Disney's conglomeration of modern pop culture IPs under a single umbrella company.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Mioaionios

She-Hulk's first episode dropped today and it's pretty meh.
Hope it gets better in the weeks to come but I have a feeling this is going to be the third MCU show, after What If and Hawkeye, that doesn't work for me.

Mioaionios

jump

@Rambler Ah memories, I use to watch Monkey Dust as a kid and thinking I was so mature for watching it. I always liked the The Paedofinder General and Omar the useless terrorists skits.

I've just started watching Abbott Elementary, it's bloody brilliant. It reminds me alot of Parks & Recs where instead of portraying people as whacky sitcom idiots it instead portrays them as caring and capable who have to deftly deal with stupid obstacles.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
The useless terrorist sketch was a few years before Four Lions, wasn't it?
I found a few other sketches online, Clive, Timmy, Chatroom Pervert, Ivan, but they are poss a bit extreme for these here parts.
I ended up searching for some Jam sketches as well (still got the amazing DVD of that somewhere), and YouTube has full episodes of it! Does mean that anybody can have the delights of the Unconcerned Parents and that horrifying sketch with the plumber.

Rambler

Maxenmus

I haven't really bothered to check out Game of Thrones, but man, I just can't help finding the making fun of terrible shows more entertaining than the idea of watching those shows (or in GoT's case, shows with terrible late seasons).

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus I don't like George R.R. Martin....... I made a post about him on here when I was not in a good head space and thankfully the mods removed it.

In short I don't like him....... but his beauty & the beast 80s (or 90s) show is not bad.

Maxenmus

Mioaionios wrote:

She-Hulk's first episode dropped today and it's pretty meh.
Hope it gets better in the weeks to come but I have a feeling this is going to be the third MCU show, after What If and Hawkeye, that doesn't work for me.

I've seen a notorious clip of the show trending on Tik-Tok (and YouTube/Twitter covering said video), and it makes me feel like it's hard to talk about the show without getting politics involved... so unfortunately, there's not much I can say, except that the clip kinda puts me off from watching the show...

Maybe that's not a bad thing. Maybe the show's just not for me. 🤷

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Mioaionios

@Maxenmus
That scene was actually one of the things I liked about it. Overall though, I just thought that this first episode wasn't all that funny or exciting.

Mioaionios

jedgamesguy

@Maxenmus Saying it to the Hulk is like me going to a Formula One driver and saying to them; "You don't know what it's like driving around at 200mph. I've done it and it's super easy. I drive way better than you."

Saying it to THE HULK. One of the more tragic and pitiful superheroes.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic