Forums

Topic: The Universal Games Ranking Forum (Currently: Characters/Weapons/etc. You Hate Playing Against)

Posts 161 to 180 of 494

WarioIsTopTier

Right, firstly, nice to see how much discussion there was. I know not all of it's on topic, but I for one don't care. With what I've seen, will I pick up a Dragon Quest game? Probably not. That much playtime on a singleplayer game is very rare for me, let alone an RPG. Most RPG's bore the hell out of me, with only Xenoblade X, Earthbound, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions being notable exceptions. Maybe Pokemon too, but I really only play that for the battling, although I must admit Sun and Moon look intriguing. Undertale could join that list, although it's been in my backlog ages.

With that out the way, I think I might close the poll today. That might be earlier than usual, so it'll be late in the day. I'll link it here if you haven't voted. We've only 9 votes so far, so things could easily change.

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=59a06695e4b05933ec3de398

Edit: Oh golly gosh we've 200 posts.

Edited on by WarioIsTopTier

WarioIsTopTier

WarioIsTopTier

Okay, I left the poll open overnight cause we had a tie, but we got one more vote in the both of the top options. Hooray.

I'll give it a bit more then.

Edit: Right, we got like a million votes outta nowhere so that'll do. The poll is now closed! Gimme a bit while I tally up.

WarioIsTopTier

WarioIsTopTier

There we go paisanos, the poll's over, and we've our new topic.
1st - Terrible Parts of Great Games - 52% (14 Votes)
2nd - 3D Mario Games - 26% (7 Votes)
3rd - Core Street Fighter Games - 18% (5 Votes)
4th - 2D Sonic Games - 4% (1 Vote)
Sorted, now Terrible Parts of Great Games is our new topic. I'll get something out in a bit, knock yourselfs out for now.

Habby Ranbing!

WarioIsTopTier

NaviAndMii

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This...

Untitled

...so frustrating! It's actually quite a tricky and fun puzzle for the most part - until you get to the end and have to flick the ball to its goal - which, after several failed attempts, started to give me a mild (and rare) case of gamer rage! ..I eventually completed it by flipping the whole puzzle over and repeatedly rolling the ball across the flat underside until I finally managed to flick it in - but it left me feeling quite dissatisfied that I basically felt like I had to resort to cheating in order to complete it! **grumble grumble grumble**

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Multiplayer. I was quite excited by the potential of co-op GTA - but I found the addition, unfortunately, to be both frustrating and underwhelming in equal measure! Firstly, to unlock co-op (ugh!) you had to find a potential date in-game (ugh!), take her on a number of dates (ugh!) until you've built the relationship meter up to a certain point (ugh!) ..then she becomes playable for Player 2 (yay!) - but (ugh!) - you'll both be closely tethered to one another (ugh!) making movement rather limited (ugh!) and the simplest of tasks difficult to accomplish (ugh!) ..disappointing.

Super Mario 64 - Me: "Oh YAY! I've unlocked YOSHI! ..how do I ride him??". You can't. (ugh!)

Super Mario Galaxy - Me: "Oh YAY! I've unlocked LUIGI! ..how is he different??. He isn't. (ugh!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

WarioIsTopTier

@NaviAndMii I couldn't believe this worked, but if you turn your Switch upside-down for that BotW puzzle you flip the maze upside down and can just roll the ball on the flat underside.

Edit: Oh my god I'm so dumb I never read the spoiler part of your post

WarioIsTopTier

GoldenGamer88

Before I begin, as always a few things I'd like to bring the attention of the poor soul who reads my rambling to a few things: One, this is not a ranking. All the things I'm about to mention are more or less equally terrible to me. Two, the terrible-ness of my points is rated on a subjective level and my points are not necessarily yours. Three, this ranking is made based on things that come to mind as I write them so I may add more later on - maybe. Also, I do hope 3D Mario gets another chance some time.

1. Silent Realms (Skyward Sword): The more I write and rant about Skyward Sword, the more I notice how it likes to repeat certain things again and again. One of those things, to my biggest dismay, are the Silent Realms. Frustrating, annoying and the entire flow of the game breaking. Gosh, I really hate stealth, which is ironic as my Splatoon playstyle involves stealth above all else!

2. Last Days of Summer in Twilight Town (Kingdom Hearts 2): A prologue is meant to introduce the world, the characters and important game mechanics to players. But if a prologue is so far apart from the rest of the game that the prologue's protagonist, Roxas, isn't even playable afterwards, it feels pointless. Whereas others may take an hour or two to get their game going, KH2's prologue with Roxas and his friends takes way too long, is boring and largely disconnected from anything else going on in the game. At least Roxas's battle against Twilight Thorn was awesome to witness.

3. Corona Mountain (Mario Sunshine): Sunshine's level design is ... well, lackluster in my humble opinion. But none of them are as lackluster as Corona Mountain. This could have been a climatic and more difficult level but it's really easy, short and boring.

4. General White and his annoying goose hunt (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door): Looking for General White is not hard but damn, is that Road Runner or what? Keelhaul Key? Oh, I was just there! Must've missed me by a second lol! ... are you kidding me!?

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

faint

Absolutely without a doubt the queen or cards quest in final fantasy 8. What a 💩 of a side quest. 😡

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Ralizah

The stealth mission in Breath of the Wild.

The stealth section in The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

Any of the stealth sections in Gravity Rush 2.

...I think you get my drift.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

WarioIsTopTier

Right, I probably won't have one big list for all this, cause knowing me I'll think of a load later. I'll do a few for now anyways, in no particular order.

1. Super Mario 64 DS: White Rabbit Star - At some point in this game, there's a small chance each time you enter a room with one one of the rabbits you catch to unlock minigames will be white and sparkly. Catch all seven and you can open the white door in the character select room. It's pretty time consuming, but the worst part is finding out that all that was behind that mysterious door was a star.

2. Overwatch: Slow Walk Speed - There's a big reason why I find Lucio the only remotely fun character in this game, and that's that no one else can move faster than a brisk trot. Abilities can remedy this, but not much and not everyone has movement abilities.

3. Worms Ultimate Mayhem: Garbage Online - Worms is a series I hold close to my heart, especially the 3D entries. Honestly though, even for 2011, Ultimate Mayhem's attempt at online was horrendous. Very little match customization, no Wormpot, and massive delay was a tarnish on an otherwise good game.

4. Sonic Colours: Boss Repeats - It's common for games to reuse bosses but change them slightly, but here even that isn't the case. It's really just reskins of a previous boss except you damage him with a different Wisp.

5. Marble Blast Gold: Early Beginner Levels - I absolutely ADORE this game, but going back to it today I realized something. The first few levels are very overly-simplified. Instead of having a single short level for 'Movement' or 'Powerups' The early Beginner Levels are stuffed with quick 5 to 10 second levels with a single mechanic or powerup covered in each. I think what takes the cake is having two seperate 5 second levels for moving platforms that move horizontally and vertically. Seriously.

6. Ultra Street Fighter 4: Awkward Combo Trial Mode - This is more of a nitpick, but considering this was the final version of the game, it's mind boggling this wasn't here. In the Combo Trial Mode, you can see on the left what moves you need to use for the combo. However, Special Moves and Target Combos are included here, and it only tells you the move name or number of the Target Combo and not the required inputs. This means you have to manually check them for every trial, and while it doesn't take long, it's annoying when every character has 24 Trials.

That'll do for now, take that for what you will.

WarioIsTopTier

Ralizah

Super Mario Sunshine: Lily Pad Ride and The Pachinko Machine. Also, any level involving Yoshi. Ugh.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Namco

Great games? Well then how about the ''greatest game ever made'' Yes ofcourse I'm talking about Ocarina of Time. Believe it or not even this game had some terrible parts.

No, I'm not talking about the water temple. Just because you can't beat it doesn't mean the design is bad. The water level concept is actually pretty clever and creative.

The agonizing part is where you had to wait ten minutes for the zora king to move.
Untitled

But let us not forget the part where you accidentally pressed >no because you wanted kaepora gaebora to shut up and he thinks you didn't quite get it so he starts retelling the whole story!
Untitled

Don't even get started about Navi...

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> â–² Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

RR529

Bomb disabling (Zone of the Enders) - Pretty much, there's this segment near the end of the game (inbetween boss fights), where you have to fly around a cylindrical room disabling bombs, under a strict time limit, while enemies are attacking you. Never want to do this again.

Viola AI Boss Fight (Zone of the Enders: the Second Runner) - It's a boss fight where you're in a tight donut shaped room, and the only way to stun the boss was to grab the regular enemies in the room and hit the boss as it rushed you. This was insanely diffucult due to the small, odd shaped room, and the fact that the regular enemies were a type that could immobilize you with a tractor beam.

Driving sections (Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary) - The driving controls in this game are just awkward, IMO. The final segment was particularly nerve-wrecking, though luckily I got through it on my second try.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WarioIsTopTier

Guys, this is a monumental moment in gaming history. I have found something terrible in a great game before the game has even released.

Untitled

The entirety of Ubisoft was found dead at the hands of Shigeru Miyamoto the next morning.

WarioIsTopTier

kkslider5552000

1. Terrible framerate in certain beloved N64 games. The biggest problem with certain games from this time is that the hardware could sometimes not handle anything expansive or impressive. And it's said that games from that era looked and played way WAAAAAY better than early on, but one of the reasons is that they went far beyond what it could handle (Xbox 360 had this problem later on at times too). You play Banjo Tooie lately?
2. The backtracking in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. This is basically the entire reason why it's my least favorite of the original 3 games. The backtracking in this game is so bad, so poorly implemented, basically existing to make you mad and make you not want to play anymore.
3. Fi in Skyward Sword: I mean, obviously.
4. Triforce Heroes' Single Player: I'm not sure how much I'd consider this a great game, but it's at least good...unless you play Single Player. Why anyone would want to is beyond me, especially those challenges.
5. Dark Souls wasting my time to get back to the boss. Dark Souls is an awesome game, and then it decides I need to go through the eventually easy enemies in the exact same way so I can challenge the boss for the 10th time. It's a complete waste of my time when I could be gitting gud instead. Don't make me go back far if it's just a boring waste of time.
6. Even with text skip buttons, going through the original Zero Escape game again and again was very annoying. I KNOW HOW TO DO THE FIRST PUZZLE, LEAVE ME ALONE.
7. Battle mode in Mario Kart 8 (Wii U). HA SCREW YOU, PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS AN ACTUAL ARTISTIC DECISION AND NOT BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF TIME TO MAKE GOOD BATTLE MAPS, SWITCH VERSION HAS THEM, NINTENDO RUSHED THIS OUT, DEAL WITH IT
8. The overworld in No More Heroes. I've been both told and assumed that the miserably boring overworld in No More Heroes was a critique/joke about miserably boring overworlds and wasting your time in a video game between the good parts. Regardless of whether that's true or not, this was a miserably boring overworld that wasted my time between the good parts. This is the entire reason the sequel is better.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ryu_Niiyama

Final chase scene in AC III. I don't throw controllers or rage out but I almost put my fist through my TV after the first hour.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

WarioIsTopTier

Few more good examples I just thought of here.

7. Super Smash Brothers Melee: C-Stick Controls Camera in Singleplayer Modes - I never knew about this until I played the game, and it's such a mind blogging decision. The camera control is almost never useful, and considering not using the C-Stick for Aerial Attacks puts you at a direct disadvantage and makes some combos insanely difficult or impossible, it also makes Training Mode borderline useless.

8. Super Mario 64: Tall Tall Mountain 100 Coin Star - I can't be the only one who hated this, right? As far as I know, you have to use the owl to fly up and grab one or two coins as you fall, as there's very few in the stage. The slide doesn't help either, as there's no way out after beating it.

9. Super Mario 3D World: Postgame - Slightly edited versions of older stages and an unfatomable amount of unfun things to do to unlock the last world? No thanks. There's also zero reward for beating the game up to the last world either. At least Rosalina was nice to have, although she really isn't fun.

WarioIsTopTier

WarioIsTopTier

@Snaplocket Certainly had the longest postgame with the most to do, but I personally didn't find it fun. Getting 120 Stars in Mario 64 is as fun as it always was and I'd even rank Sunshine's postgame higher dispite having a chunk of gimmicky frustrating levels. 3D World's postgame is just kinda the same shtick as 3D Land's except easier and with more stuff to collect, but not in a good way, more of a "Look, there's more things to get in the levels you've already beat, so that means the postgame has to be better!" approach. Not awful, but I didn't care for it.

WarioIsTopTier

Tyranexx

Here are some of mine, in no particular order. I'll probably think of more later.

• Twilight Princess's slow opening. Here's a secret: As much as I love the game, it took me two tries to actually get into it. The opening wasn't the only factor that made me stop the first time, but the pacing didn't help. I understand what they were trying to do here, but it still could have been condensed a little.
  • Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. I did not like retreading through this place over and over again. This is one of the reasons why I prefer Spirit Tracks.
  • The Imprisoned from Skyward Sword. I'll take dealing with Fi over the tedium of fighting this thing again.
  • Cosmic Mario levels from Super Mario Galaxy....If I have to hear that little troll's laugh ONE MORE TIME....
  • Magmoor Caverns from Metroid Prime. I loved the music at first, but passing through this place over and over again made me sick of it by the end. Plus, those endlessly respawning turrets in that one area....
  • Railroading in Pokemon Sun/Moon. I know the more recent titles are guilty of this in general, but I found it ridiculous that I couldn't backtrack to a certain area because I had to hear thirty seconds of dialogue first.
  • This was already mentioned, but some chase sequences in the Assassin's Creed series borderline troll you. While I generally like the freerunning mechanics, they can get in your way if you accidentally climb or hang onto something when timing and speed matter.
  • The AI of the Pikmin in Pikmin 3. What are you...?...No, go around, around! Now you're drowning, you idiots!

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ianl579

The story and trial sections of Ace Attorney are PHENOMENAL, but sometimes the game's logic doesn't match yours, and the investigation navigation can be tedious.

Also, you can only play Salmon Run at certain times. WHY?!?!?

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.