Forums

Topic: The Table Top Gaming thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 444

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx That’s good, but I think what you are doing one of the best aspects of the game to me . Sharing your war stories, that’s one thing that I love about dnd, and talking to you about dnd, makes me realize that those war stories are fun to hear. I mostly dm but I should share some of my stories. My spider web tale is one I like to tell as it is one of the few times that I was a player.

Themagusx1

cordova94

@Themagusx1 not nearly as much as I'd like to. My husband and I live quite rurally and own a farm.....so I'm console gaming more than tabletop for the simple fact that in the non-winter months, I usually lack an evening gaming buddy.

In a few years I should be able to get my little guy into it.

So I ordered Allies and pre-ordered the update packs that are coming for Seaside and Prosperity so it looks like we will get some card switches and upgrades there. The Intrigue ones were really good. Have you played with those?

Currently Playing: Pokemon Sword, Disney Dreamlight Valley
Friend Code: SW-5717-7937-5089

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 DnD stories are indeed fun! One of the reasons I like the game so much is due to how much a group's dynamic changes how events play out. No two groups - or players even - will have the exact same story.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Themagusx1

sadly I have not played those expansions. Seaside right? And I understand the whole thing with a spouse, my gf and I play games together but it’s hard to get a group together. Are you getting the update packs. @cordova94

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Exactlt. That’s why the game is amazing. The social aspect is amazing and what’s great is that everyone in a group is telling a story, a great group is not one where the dm is fully in control but one wheee the players and dm harmonize off of each other, That’s what makes it great.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 From what I've experienced, I 100% agree! We're doing a session tomorrow. It's admittedly my fault that we didn't do one today. I was out of state. Heading back now in fact.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I hope your session went well yesterday. And yes I think that might be why dnd or any rpgs are in a separate class of gaming than anything else.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 It did overall. We had a later start than intended since the paladin...erm...forgot his character sheet. We tried remembering his stats before giving up and spending roughly an hour drawing up a Fighter for him to play in the meantime. We temporarily replaced his old character with the new one via a magic trap since we're in an abandoned castle that, ironically, was built by a wizard a few centuries before. The Fighter is VERY much out of his time zone lol. It was still relatively new when he stepped inside.

For now, our group was able to pass ourselves off as low totem cultists and prisoners turned cultists. We only had a couple of encounters, one with easy/weak enemies, and another involving a...I forget the name, but it was a monstrosity with two tentacles that basically lives in pits of refuse/waste and eats about everything. All triggered by our Dragonborn sorcerer walking up a wall via magic boots to investigate a trapdoor. My ranger was nearly drowned in wastewater. REALLY glad I managed to break the grapple. XD

Edited on by Tyranexx

cordova94

@Themagusx1 oh definitely! I actually just received a couple of promo cards by mail today that were released in 2019/20 that I had missed. Church and Captain.

Looks like I won't receive Allies for a little while since I ordered it with the pre-orders of the update packs for Seaside and Prosperity so whenever both of those get released, my order will ship. Which is fine......I don't foresee a lot of opportunity to play until the end of summer anyway.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx That sounds like a close call from the creature. Those magic boots sound like they are more trouble than they are worth lol since your sorcerer triggered that fight. But any hoo interstitial stealth you got going on with the cultists. Hopefully you can keep up that bluff for a while longer with out anyone noticing.

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@cordova94 Those promo cards you don’t need any specific expansion to play with? Can you just play those right sway in the main game?

I am curious what other card games have you played? I would recommend Arkham Horror the card game.

Themagusx1

cordova94

@Themagusx1 yeah, the earlier ones were special releases for some event/conferences over the years (like Black Market, Walled Village, Stash, etc) but you can buy them all on Board Game Geek's website and some of the more recent ones included new events in addition to new kingdom cards. I think Black Market is probably still the most iconic one (you shuffle all the blue kingdom cards NOT in your 10 cards spread and then if you call up Black Market you can draw three of those blue cards and buy one of them.....so you end up with a single kingdom card that no one else has).

But yes, you don't need anything more than the base game or intrigue to use them.....you just add the promo cards to the mix.

To be honest, I have only really played Dominion. A friend introduced me to it several years ago, and I have never really had much exposure to table-top gaming otherwise.......though I once dated a guy who played Warhammer pretty seriously.

Edited on by cordova94

Anti-Matter

I made my Othello / Reversi board game with size 4 x 4 squares so my students can play it quickly. And I used two different colors cards instead.
Untitled

Anti-Matter

Themagusx1

@cordova94 wow that guy you dated must have had loads of cash cause that game warhammer is pricey as hell. That’s why I don’t play warhammer, it’s too expensive. But cool thanks for letting me know. There are a lot of other card games in the vein of dominion that are great for you and your spouse, I would think. I like the card games that are not collectible stuff like dominion or Arkham horror.

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@Anti-Matter That’s pretty cool. Do you make other board games? Habe you tried it out yet?

Themagusx1

Anti-Matter

@Themagusx1
Yup.
I made another board games for my Math Club activity.
The other one was Monopoly style with some rules taken from Amiibo Festival + some original rules I made to be fit with Math activity.
I added with question cards about Math so whenever my students landed on Question box, I will ask them with question from question cards. If they can answer my question correctly, they will get money (if landed on Yellow Question box) or Happy point (if landed on Purple Question box). But if their answer are incorrect, they will get nothing.
Here is another board game I made.
Untitled

Anti-Matter

Themagusx1

@Anti-Matter That’s pretty cool too. Habe you ever thought of maybe seeing if you can get your board games published? That would be cool. That math one seems like it’s a good tool for teaching math and what not.

Themagusx1

Anti-Matter

@Themagusx1
Well, I made my board games just for teaching purpose / playing at school, don't think I will publish my board games as I made it for private using. Not to mention I borrowed the rules from Amiibo Festival.

Anti-Matter

Themagusx1

@Anti-Matter I got ya. That’s good it’s for your teaching, how do your kids in your class like the board game?

Themagusx1

Anti-Matter

@Themagusx1
Well, I used the board games with Zoom meeting since this year we still have Online learning for extra curricular activity so I used my laptop for watching over the students and showing their scores on white board while I used my handphone for second monitor during zoom meeting, capturing the board games from top view.
I asked the students to choose the characters I have provided before playing. The students have to say toss in order I will toss the dice for them then they can see the number of dice and their current position from top view since I used my handphone as 2nd monitor. The game ended when the time for Math Club is almost finished and reached the last students turn. To determine the winner, I borrowed the rules from Amiibo Festival by converting every 1000 money = 1 Happy point then accumulated with their current Happy points. The winner is the students who collected the most Happy points.

I heard in my country, for the next academic year there will be 100% Offline school and the extra curricular activities can be done at school, face to face with the students. Without using Zoom meeting, they can play Board games directly by tossing the dice by themself and I can observe their counting process when they got question cards.

My students like board games as I can see their competitiveness when somebody landed on traps like minus money or minus happy points or getting penalty cards. The grade 1 students didn't really show their competitiveness but the grade 5 students are very competitive by showing their comments for hoping their friends got the worse result from the traps or penalty cards.

And for my Othello, I can put inside school library since I'm working as school librarian and the students can play my Reversi board with Red & Blue cards and 4 x 4 grids size.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic