Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best City / Urban Theme (Round Two)

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,556

Krull

The soundtrack is one of the best things about TWEWY, one of my all time favourite games. If we were picking all-time OSTs, it would be in my top three, maybe even top one. Yet that Baiten Kaitos battle music owns. Great shout, whoever nominated that one.

The FF face-off is a great contest - but IX shades it. When M&L started, I instantly hated it - but it won me over. It’s actually really good. But I still went with the flutes and drums of FFT A2. Is that really a DS soundtrack? Amazing.

Toby Fox is brilliant - he could end up facing off against himself in this competition at some point. Can’t believe XC and TWEWY might get knocked out in the first round, but it would be a fair result.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

BabyYoda71

@Krull Toby Fox is brilliant. I hope Battle Tower is in the finals!

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

ThePirateCaptain

Some tough calls already and things won’t be easier from here. With a score of 7-2 Baten Kaitos moves on, Final Fantasy IX wins 5-3, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 wins 6-3, and Xenoblade Chronicles slips by 6-4.
Link to the bracket

Light the Fire Up in the Night - Persona Q vs. Fight!! Ver. 1 - Grandia II

Vote here

Franky - Earthbound vs. Battle 1 - Octopath Traveller

Vote here

The Man With the Machine Gun - Final Fantasy VIII vs. General Purpose (Latter Half) - Conception II

Vote here

Fight Against Monsters - Super Mario RPG vs. Try, Try Again - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Vote here

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

kkslider5552000

Man that 2nd one reminds me of how Earthbound was originally treated by some people. "Here are the serious, beautiful JRPGs, and here's this dumb game that looks dumb with a lame 50s song homage." The lame 50s song is the better one btw. The Octopath one is more impressive, but musically it could be from almost any JRPG in the past 10-15 years. I already forget how it goes and am just thinking of the Xenoblade one again. No one can forget a song parodying Johnny B Goode while battling hippies.

Also, I couldn't decide on the 3rd one (they're both good songs in their own way), so I chose Conception 2 because it winning anything over Final Fantasy is hilarious to me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Krull

@kkslider5552000 I can’t stand that Fifties parody! Nails down a chalkboard. It’s the worst track in the competition so far, for me. Pretty impressive with the SNES sound chip but still - horrible.

I have a new favourite, though. Love that Conception II track - shades of Josh Wink, with added jazz chords. Love it. As much as I like Man with the Machine Gun - an all time great which I also nominated - I’ve got to go with Conception II. Which I’ve barely any conception of, as a game.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

BruceCM

Lols, do you want to know, @Krull....? The title gives it away

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Captain_Toad

Persona Q:

Conception 2: I don't wanna fight for fight for my life, I just wanna fight some digital enemies.

Octopath: Earthbound is making me wanna stop in the middle of battle and dance. I don't wanna dance.

SMRPG: Had this been Paper jam, the fight would've been a bit close, Paper Jam is in the background but you notice it's there, Dream Team doesn't have that.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Bankaj

Grandia II
Octopath Traveller
Conception 2
MandL: Dream Team

A pity for Franky to go up against solid quality. I think Franky deserves a round 2 at minimum, however I can't objectively say it's better than the Octopath tune.

Bankaj

Dogorilla

I admire the Earthbound track for being different from the typical RPG fare, but I have to say I prefer the Octopath one. And that Persona Q song is, as the kids say, a banger.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ThePirateCaptain
Bankaj

Golden Sun
Paper Mario
Mother 3
Pokemon SW/SH

Great matchup this round. had two classics and two modern songs going up against each other.
Was struggling in choosing between Paper Mario and Pokemon, but with the diversity of Paper Mario in the track, I started to appreciate the effort put into it. It's not a simple looping track making use of the same instruments, and that made the decision for me.

Bankaj

Dogorilla

I've never actually heard the Sword/Shield Battle Tower theme before. I knew Toby Fox wrote a piece for the game but I didn't listen to it in advance because I wanted to hear it in-game, but then I never actually did the Battle Tower lol. It's a very good track but I voted for Fodlan Winds.

@Knighty_IX Is your definition of battle themes in Fire Emblem just the music that plays when units are actually fighting each other directly? Personally I would consider the music that plays when you're on the grid to be a battle theme as well, because it's all part of one big battle between the two opposing sides. It's been a while since I played Sacred Stones but I'm pretty sure that music plays during battle by my definition. Same goes for that version of Fodlan Winds.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ThePirateCaptain

I’m a bit more lenient about the rules when it comes to strategy RPG’s and what counts as a battle theme. They don’t always have a distinct “battle” phase like traditional turn based games so it’s really up to the voters to decide if they feel it fits the theme at this point. I’d be open to switching Fodlan Winds to the Thunder version though.

This round was pretty close overall. Golden Sun moves on with a score of 5-2, Paper Mario: Color Splash and Bravely Default won their tiebreakers at 4-4, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses won at 6-3.
Link to the bracket

The First Campaign - Etrian Odyssey III vs. Battle A2 (Tokyo Battle) - Shin Megami Tensei IV

Vote here

Free Duel - Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories vs. Tower of Caelum - Phantasy Star Online Ep. 3

Vote here

The Almighty - Persona 4 vs. Fight On! - Final Fantasy VII

Vote here

Mass Destruction - Persona 3 vs. A Deadly Swordfight! - Summon Night: Swordcraft Story

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

kkslider5552000

1. Lol at pitting Yugioh against the card game PSO
2. Voted for Persona 4 without listening to it, because FFVII's is a boss theme

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BruceCM

Whoa, I just clicked on the FFVII one and the video even says boss theme.... So much for that

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Bankaj
  • Etrian Odyssey
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • No vote
  • Persona 3

That first match-up is brutal. It is the first SMT-song I hear which I genuinely like, so I have a strong intention to let it represent my vote for the series during this competition. However, that Etrian Oddysey track is spot-on for a fantasy-RPG battle theme. High quality and very catchy.

=few minutes later voting for Persona 3=

Welp there goes the thought of the first matchup I guess.

Bankaj

Captain_Toad

This one is close.....SMT immediately gets you in the random battle mood but EO3 lasts a bit longer just in case the fight is a bit longer. Eo3
Free duel: Tower of Caelum takes too long to start up.
No vote....
Persona 3: Baby baby baby bay hoo! No contest.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

ThePirateCaptain

I did notice the FF VII track was a boss theme when I was getting ready for this round. Somehow it slipped by the nomination round, but I have no familiarity with the Persona song. At this point the I think the best solution might be to replace them with the normal battle theme from their respective games if everyone else is on board with that.

ThePirateCaptain

Bankaj

Fine for me. Would suggest to include the matchup in the next round, allowing everyone to vote for 5 matchups then.

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic