Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: RPG Battle Themes (Round Two)

Posts 141 to 160 of 174

ThePirateCaptain
kkslider5552000

This is a weird round, since I'm voting against both another Xenoblade song and the MandL Superstar saga battle theme already, but here we are. AND I'm undecided on voting for a TWEWY song or not, so this is certainly a surprising round for me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Dogorilla

Very close results in all categories at the moment (not that there have been many votes yet). For what it's worth, I went for Baten Kaitos, FF9, FF Tactics and Xenoblade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Bankaj

++ Baten Kaitos
++ FFXIII
++ FFTA2
++ Deltarune

'- TWEWY wasn't actually that bad, now that I've listened to it from beginning to end. I'm not too much of a fan of the poppy lyrics in game music (ugh SSBU...).

'- FFIX didn't match the harmony of FFXIII

'- Superstar Saga sounds too monotone for my taste. I remember hearing it first time in the game and I really liked it, because the battle had kind of a party-vibe to it (especially with the M&L dancing on their turn). However I don't enjoy it without actually playing the game.

'- Both very good, tough decision. Deltarune appealed to me just a tad more.

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

Krull

The soundtrack is one of the best things about TWEWY, one of my all time favourite games. If we were picking all-time OSTs, it would be in my top three, maybe even top one. Yet that Baiten Kaitos battle music owns. Great shout, whoever nominated that one.

The FF face-off is a great contest - but IX shades it. When M&L started, I instantly hated it - but it won me over. It’s actually really good. But I still went with the flutes and drums of FFT A2. Is that really a DS soundtrack? Amazing.

Toby Fox is brilliant - he could end up facing off against himself in this competition at some point. Can’t believe XC and TWEWY might get knocked out in the first round, but it would be a fair result.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

ThePirateCaptain

Some tough calls already and things won’t be easier from here. With a score of 7-2 Baten Kaitos moves on, Final Fantasy IX wins 5-3, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 wins 6-3, and Xenoblade Chronicles slips by 6-4.
Link to the bracket

Light the Fire Up in the Night - Persona Q vs. Fight!! Ver. 1 - Grandia II

Vote here

Franky - Earthbound vs. Battle 1 - Octopath Traveller

Vote here

The Man With the Machine Gun - Final Fantasy VIII vs. General Purpose (Latter Half) - Conception II

Vote here

Fight Against Monsters - Super Mario RPG vs. Try, Try Again - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Vote here

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

kkslider5552000

Man that 2nd one reminds me of how Earthbound was originally treated by some people. "Here are the serious, beautiful JRPGs, and here's this dumb game that looks dumb with a lame 50s song homage." The lame 50s song is the better one btw. The Octopath one is more impressive, but musically it could be from almost any JRPG in the past 10-15 years. I already forget how it goes and am just thinking of the Xenoblade one again. No one can forget a song parodying Johnny B Goode while battling hippies.

Also, I couldn't decide on the 3rd one (they're both good songs in their own way), so I chose Conception 2 because it winning anything over Final Fantasy is hilarious to me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Krull

@kkslider5552000 I can’t stand that Fifties parody! Nails down a chalkboard. It’s the worst track in the competition so far, for me. Pretty impressive with the SNES sound chip but still - horrible.

I have a new favourite, though. Love that Conception II track - shades of Josh Wink, with added jazz chords. Love it. As much as I like Man with the Machine Gun - an all time great which I also nominated - I’ve got to go with Conception II. Which I’ve barely any conception of, as a game.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

BruceCM

Lols, do you want to know, @Krull....? The title gives it away

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Captain_Toad

Persona Q:

Conception 2: I don't wanna fight for fight for my life, I just wanna fight some digital enemies.

Octopath: Earthbound is making me wanna stop in the middle of battle and dance. I don't wanna dance.

SMRPG: Had this been Paper jam, the fight would've been a bit close, Paper Jam is in the background but you notice it's there, Dream Team doesn't have that.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Bankaj

Grandia II
Octopath Traveller
Conception 2
MandL: Dream Team

A pity for Franky to go up against solid quality. I think Franky deserves a round 2 at minimum, however I can't objectively say it's better than the Octopath tune.

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

Dogorilla

I admire the Earthbound track for being different from the typical RPG fare, but I have to say I prefer the Octopath one. And that Persona Q song is, as the kids say, a banger.

ThePirateCaptain
Bankaj

Golden Sun
Paper Mario
Mother 3
Pokemon SW/SH

Great matchup this round. had two classics and two modern songs going up against each other.
Was struggling in choosing between Paper Mario and Pokemon, but with the diversity of Paper Mario in the track, I started to appreciate the effort put into it. It's not a simple looping track making use of the same instruments, and that made the decision for me.

Bankaj

Dogorilla

I've never actually heard the Sword/Shield Battle Tower theme before. I knew Toby Fox wrote a piece for the game but I didn't listen to it in advance because I wanted to hear it in-game, but then I never actually did the Battle Tower lol. It's a very good track but I voted for Fodlan Winds.

@Knighty_IX Is your definition of battle themes in Fire Emblem just the music that plays when units are actually fighting each other directly? Personally I would consider the music that plays when you're on the grid to be a battle theme as well, because it's all part of one big battle between the two opposing sides. It's been a while since I played Sacred Stones but I'm pretty sure that music plays during battle by my definition. Same goes for that version of Fodlan Winds.

Knighty_IX

@Dogorilla Yeah, I thought about that, but I decided to categorize it as a map theme rather than a battle theme. Although, Fire Emblem map theme variations are becoming battle themes nowadays (if I'm remembering correctly). That's why I said I'm more forgiving towards Fodlan Winds and I'm just being a stickler for suggesting its Thunder version.

Edited on by Knighty_IX

Let it Rip!

Nintendo Switch Gameplay

Warface Best Moments (Part 1)
ThePirateCaptain

I’m a bit more lenient about the rules when it comes to strategy RPG’s and what counts as a battle theme. They don’t always have a distinct “battle” phase like traditional turn based games so it’s really up to the voters to decide if they feel it fits the theme at this point. I’d be open to switching Fodlan Winds to the Thunder version though.

This round was pretty close overall. Golden Sun moves on with a score of 5-2, Paper Mario: Color Splash and Bravely Default won their tiebreakers at 4-4, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses won at 6-3.
Link to the bracket

The First Campaign - Etrian Odyssey III vs. Battle A2 (Tokyo Battle) - Shin Megami Tensei IV

Vote here

Free Duel - Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories vs. Tower of Caelum - Phantasy Star Online Ep. 3

Vote here

The Almighty - Persona 4 vs. Fight On! - Final Fantasy VII

Vote here

Mass Destruction - Persona 3 vs. A Deadly Swordfight! - Summon Night: Swordcraft Story

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic