Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2020

Posts 41 to 60 of 156

MPSSislit

@RR529
Okay, that makes sense and I get where you're coming from.
I honestly didn't expect Genshin Impact to get the Best RPG nominee, or the Player's Voice nominee. Even though it's a gacha game, I've heard people say that it's generous and seems to give more than other gacha games. So, I can assume you aren't interested in Genshin Impact, then? 🤔
Also, are you saying that you don't like Free to Start games in general, or you don't think that Free to Start games should get nominees for The Game Awards, outside of Best Mobile Game? 🤔
EDIT: I couldn't quite tell from your response. 🤔

Edited on by MPSSislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

RR529

@SM3DASislit, yeah, generally not a fan of "Free to Start" titles, including a lack of interest Genshin Impact. Not judging anyone who likes them, I just think the monetization model directly interferes with gameplay/narrative in a way "pay up front" titles generally don't (though there are exceptions in this regard too, such as the yearly sports games, which I also have no interest in), negatively affecting whatever artistic merits they may have.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Laoak

I'll probably just watch highlights of the show, last years wasn't anything too amazing. Hope we get some Smash DLC news, I'd love to see people get mad that their fav character hasn't made it in again.

{funny quote here}

MPSSislit

@RR529
Okay, that makes sense and I get where you're coming from.
Yeah, the yearly sports games are the worst, in regards to the monetization model.
EDIT: I personally tend to be more open with Free to Start (or F2P) games because I don't have to put aside money, like I would have to for "pay up front" games.
So, if I don't end up liking a Free to Start game, I only wasted some time, instead of time and money.

Edited on by MPSSislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Octane

@Dezzy I wonder how many of those GOT votes were votes for that game, or votes against TLOU2. I'm still amazed by the reception of that game lol.

Octane

Snatcher

So know people think that smash hinted at geno getting added to smash and with all the leaks and the rumors going around How can we not get something for smash if not, I think i'm going to be mad but hey life is life.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Zuljaras

@Octane I am not.

I think people do not want to play depressing game.

I am the same with depressing movies with depressing endings. At the end of the movie I felt like my time have been wasted as there was zero satisfaction or any redeeming qualities.

They took a risk and it did not live up to 100% of the target audience (the fans of the first game).

Octane

@Zuljaras If all stories had positive endings, it would be a little boring, no?

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Yeah, it turns out Neil Druckman tweeted to his fans to make sure everyone voted for TLOU2 because it would drive the haters mad.

So once people saw that he'd framed it like that, as in trying to annoy people, a lot of people did just vote for Tsushima to spite him. Once it was over, he then deleted his tweet.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Zuljaras

@Octane Many people like stories even if they know the happy ending. It is way batter than a bad ending. We do not have much choice in the matter.

So if the game had a good ending it would have been boring? I do not think so.

Revenge = bad, now that was a boring theme for the game. Uninspiring.

Still I think the critics will give GOTY to TLOU2 because it was a "brave" game.

Snatcher

@Octane I do think it would get boring, Just the same thing every time? I think its cool to not know wither the game has a good ending or a bad ending but most of the time your kinda assuming a good ending of some sort, ya you might know there will be a sad bit or two but to have the whole game flip on its head in the end makes the game worth playing, Just like final fantasy 15 I was really not thinking the game would have ended the way it did it, ya it was not a bad ending but it was a sad one And I was not ready for that so I agree with you it would get pretty boring.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Dezzy

@Zuljaras @Octane

I think happy/sad ending is slightly missing the point. It's not about the ending. It's about whether the overall theme or story for a game is uplifting or just depressing and fatalistic.

Final Fantasy 10 has a sad ending. Probably one of the most famous sad endings to a game ever. But it's an incredibly uplifting story overall.

@Snatcher

FFXV is a great example of this. The ending for the story in the original game is incredibly sad, but I still think the story is quite satisfying and heart warming.
But then when they altered the meaning of that ending in the Episode Ardyn DLC, it really made it worse in my opinion. Still the same sad ending, but a much stronger sense of nihilism and fatalism about the underlying meaning of the story.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Zuljaras @Dezzy I really don't think it's about either TBH. I personally think that even a depressing story with a depressing ending has its place; not that I would use that to describe TLOU2.

@Zuljaras You cannot boil it down to that alone. After all, Ghost of Tsushima's story is entirely based on revenge as well. Zelda's 'heroism = good' doesn't mean it's bad theming either. And I think we can all agree there's far more to each of these games than the superficial theming.

Personally speaking, if I had to choose between TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima, I would pick the former. Ghost of Tsushima is a good looking game, but it consists entirely of recycled open world mechanics. It's what every Ubisoft games strives to be. There's a lot of good things to be found, but the game itself doesn't raise the bar. TLOU2 does do that IMO. The incredible level of detail, physics system, it's probably the best looking game on the PS4 as well. The animations make it all feel incredibly fluid, as opposed to the sometimes stiff controls of Jin. TLOU2 is a game that makes you feel things; anger, repulsion, joy, fear. And the 30 hours or so were definitely one of the most intense roller coaster rides I've ever been on. Meanwhile I'm still wrapping up GOT, but the 60+ hours are starting to feel like a drag, especially near the end. Don't want to rip on GOT, but it definitely feels like a game I've played before.

Octane

kkslider5552000

I will say for one thing in Last of Us 2's favor. It is almost certainly the definitive 2020 game. For better or worse. I cannot imagine a more 2020 video game existing as popular as it is. That's exactly why I'm truly baffled that anyone would want to play it this year. Despite that if you take it in the context of being the 2020 GOTY and not the best video game that happened to be released in 2020, I can understand it more tbh.

For similar yet vastly different reasons, this is also why Animal Crossing absolutely deserves its GOTY nomination. Both of these games cannot even be judged in the same way by the time like 2 years pass.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Wargoose

With regards to The Last of Us 2, and games in general being divisive. It isn't a bad thing. If large groups of people love and hate a game, you've done something right. You've gone out on a limb, taken a risk, and created something people actually care about.

I've not played The Last of Us 2 (I didn't like the first games gameplay). I have played divisive games in the past, and it's important to recognise, just because you and a group of people on a forum hate something. Doesn't mean the world agrees with you. And that's ok. You aim to make something that pleases everyone, and you just make vanilla ice cream. I like vanilla as much as anyone else, but the world would be a lot less interesting, if no one ever thought let's puts some chocolate or mint in that shizz.

Wargoose

Snatcher

@NintendoByNature LOL. @Dizzy I have not done the dlc yet I have to get to that, I will buy it at some point as I really like the game.

NintendoByNature

@Wargoose if only I knew anything about the story lol. Im only kidding I really don't care if its a sad or happy ending. Its packed away at my moms house since I'm in the middle of a move but when I get time around the holidays I'm firing it up

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic