Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2020

Posts 61 to 80 of 156

Grumblevolcano

Game Awards sale is live on Xbox, don't know about the other platforms. Can't say I expected Gears Tactics to be 50% off a month after launch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Wargoose wrote:

With regards to The Last of Us 2, and games in general being divisive. It isn't a bad thing. If large groups of people love and hate a game, you've done something right. You've gone out on a limb, taken a risk, and created something people actually care about.

I know this is like a well known dictum, but I dunno if it's actually true. It's certainly true that you can't make something that appeals to absolutely everyone. That's just logically impossible given that people have mutually incompatible preferences.
But there are clearly things that the vast majority of people in a particular audience enjoy, and very few people hate.
Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, God of War......The Last of Us 1. Very hard to find anyone who has a strong negative word against any of those games. It's a tiny number of people in every case. You'd have to actively go looking for them!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Snatcher

I kinda feel good about game awards this year but if last of us 2 wins then we know that it was THIS WHOLE THING was Rigged for it to win.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Ralizah

It matters WHY something is divisive. Almost every complaint I've heard about TLOU Part II is about people feeling uncomfortable or angry with the direction its story went, which is... how you're supposed to feel. It's designed to be a stark, horrifying experience that leaves you feeling conflicted.

@Dezzy BotW haters are pretty loud online, lol.

@Snatcher That's silly. If TLOU Part II wins, it means critics walked away more impressed with it than other games. It came in... second place, I believe, in the audience vote, and had a sizeable lead at first. It's only unpopular with a vocal minority of people online.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Snatcher

@Ralizah True true, But who I really think will win is ether GOT or Hades maybe animal crossing, Doom also has a really good chance and who knows might be added to smash.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Ralizah

@Snatcher It'll be either GoT or TLOU Part II. I doubt critics will ever go en masse for a shooter or a cutesy life simulation game for the big award, unfortunately. I've talked about this before, but critics have a bias toward third-person action-adventure games.

Hades would be cool, given it's an indie, but I'm not expecting that either.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Snatcher

@Ralizah Ya the main games on the top list is ether GoT or LOU part 2 I still think animal crossing could win giving how helpful it was during covid this year but out of those three Hades has the best chance agents GOT and LOU.

jedgamesguy

I'm in a GMT+3 time zone, and misread the time and date. I ended up waking up at 3:45 a day before it was supposed to happen! All those alarms and preparation... wasted! Those gosh darn Americans and their time zones!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Snatcher

@theJGG LOL I feel you I did that one time for a JP event LMAO but its ok you still get to see it its not like you missed it.

Wargoose

@Dezzy True there are games that please virtually everyone who likes a certain genre, but I would say it's often the divisive ones that mean more to people.

Some of the games that are divisive that I really liked include, The DmC Reboot, FFVII Remake, Journey, Super Paper Mario, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Deadly Premonition, King of Fighters XIV, Marvel Infinite, Mario Sunshine, Majoras Mask, Windwaker, Final Fantasy X-2 and Bioshock Infinite.

A lot of these wouldn't exist if the developer had just copied and pasted what worked before. I'd much rather a developer do something different. Even if that occasionally gives us a Final Fantasy XII or Street Fighter V (two divisive game that I hate)

Wargoose

jedgamesguy

@Snatcher Very true, and I'm glad that I didn't. Honestly, I'm more excited about the reveals than the actual awards, hopefully some studios can throw some surprises our way. Anyways, I.. gotta get back to sleep!

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

Snatcher

@theJGG Ya the reveals are the best part for me depending on the games.

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy BotW haters are pretty loud online, lol.

Yeah that's the one I wasn't entirely sure to include on the list. But I'm not clear exactly how divisive it is.

And quite a bit of the original negativity towards it seemed to be from console war fanboys who were just annoyed that a game like that was Nintendo exclusive.

@Wargoose

I think I have fairly mainstream tastes, so I might not be a good judge of that sort of thing in general. My favourite games of this generation are Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, God of War and FF7 Remake. I think FF7 Remake is really the only one of those that's at all controversial, and not that much tbh. Mostly just the last 30 mins of the game.

Edited on by Dezzy

Blooper987

Here’s my random throwaway prediction.

A new smash character is happening but it’s someone no one expects, similar to Joker.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

It matters WHY something is divisive. Almost every complaint I've heard about TLOU Part II is about people feeling uncomfortable or angry with the direction its story went, which is... how you're supposed to feel. It's designed to be a stark, horrifying experience that leaves you feeling conflicted.

I think that's a flawed way to look at this. There is a very clear divide between making you mad at a character or at an in-universe event and just making you mad at the writers. And while there is probably some really stupid criticisms towards it, even as someone from the outside, I've been able to gather some odd directions the story took where I look at it and immediately wonder "wait wouldn't this have been way better if they just told the story a different way?"

It also feels like a lot of the discussion in based on people (and possibly the writers) making zero distinction on a character being compelling and being morally right or wrong.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

@Blooper987 I have a good feeling about this, Nintendo usually has something up their sleeve at The Game Awards, unless they don't, which was what happened last year.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

MPSSislit

@Grumblevolcano
Is Gears Tactics that bad, or does Microsoft just discounts their games that soon after release?
@Dezzy, @Ralizah
Can't there just be people who are in the middle, regarding BOTW reception? (i.e. people who are unsure or just don't care)

Ralizah wrote:

@Snatcher It'll be either GoT or TLOU Part II. I doubt critics will ever go en masse for a shooter or a cutesy life simulation game for the big award, unfortunately. I've talked about this before, but critics have a bias toward third-person action-adventure games.

Hades would be cool, given it's an indie, but I'm not expecting that either.

@Ralizah
I mean, it's 2020, so I would probably expect the unexpected to happen.

EDIT: This is for anyone to answer
I saw an article on Nintendo Life saying there would be "12 to 15 new game reveals", is that the usual amount of new games that are at The Game Awards? I feel like that's a higher amount of game announcements than usual at The Game Awards.

Edited on by MPSSislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

kkslider5552000

That sounds about the normal amount of announcements. It's just that some of them are before the "main" show and half of them no one remembers anyway.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@SM3DASislit Gears Tactics is very good, I'd guess the sale is a result of the Steam sale mindset affecting consoles (of course not 1st party Switch games because Nintendo are very limited when it comes to discounts). This year we've even seen Ubisoft games on sale like 1 week after launch.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

SM3DASislit wrote:

I saw an article on Nintendo Life saying there would be "12 to 15 new game reveals", is that the usual amount of new games that are at The Game Awards? I feel like that's a higher amount of game announcements than usual at The Game Awards.

That's pretty much normal. About half of them will suck though, so don't get too excited. Usually only 1 or 2 really good announcements.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic