Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 52,381 to 52,400 of 54,143

bimmy-lee

@MarioLover92 - I played RCR and then SOR2 on repeat when I was young and consider both among my all time favorites. Beat em up is probably my favorite game genre. I enjoy a good game in that genre more than I do a good game in any other genre, and both SOR4 and RCG are my favorites that I’ve played on Switch so far, slight nod to SOR4 as my top pick. I actually just finished the campaign in Double Dragon Neon last night. The final fight was brutal. Have you played any others on Switch?

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

SM3DASislit

@Sunsy
Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm glad that you like Illumination.
That's good you seem to like animated movies a lot, I feel like they aren't as respected as live action movies sometimes, even though there just as big as live action, if not bigger.
The Illumination movies I've seen are: Despicable Me, Hop, The Lorax, Minions, and there might be 1 or 2 that I've seen, but can't remember currently.
Didn't realize that Trolls was well liked, outside of kids. I thought that Trolls was mostly liked by kids, lol.
I also like animated movies as well, so I guess we're similar in that way, and it seems like we might both be kids at heart, which is never a bad thing.

@TheJGG
Thanks for the welcome back. I'm glad you're able to respectfully disagree, as it's a good skill to have and I feel not a lot of people seem to have that skill.

That's what I had heard regarding their business model when I researched why people dislike Illumination so much. I had also heard about the unfunny jokes and poor writing of Illumination's movies. That's why I was asking because I wanted to get more of a definitive answer to people's dislike towards Illumination.

I mean TBF, there is the saying of "nothing's original these days" (which IMO, is a really cynical way of looking at things), so I'm a little confused with the originality.

If you're saying that they aren't even trying to be original, then I think I get where you're coming from.
In case you're wondering, I made the Paramount Animation comparison because it seems like that most people seem to shrug off Paramount Animation, while (basically) insult Illumination. The only time I can recall people dissing PA was with Sherlock Gnomes (another movie I don't understand the hate for), with some people going as far as to call it "the worst sequel of 2018".

TBH, I think "the worst sequel of 2018" would go to Incredibles II. I know that's a REALLY Unpopular opinion to have, but I just feel that way. It's not that I hate (or dislike) Increbiles II, I just thought it was overhyped, and I don't say that about many things. It also just wasn't as good as the first one, and to me, it doesn't come close to it.

Anyways, the last time Disney worked with Nintendo on a movie, it was a disaster.
I'm actually excited that Illumination is working on the Mario movie, as I feel it will definitely be better than the last one.

Yeah, Disney and Pixar do have really good and quality animated films. Not every studio will be able (or want to) be as good as Disney and Pixar.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question, I really appreciate it.
I would say it helps me gain perspective.

@MarioLover92
I finished my classes a few weeks ago, it's just mainly been working and adjusting to a new schedule.
I did see the Direct, and I thought it was really good.

@TheJGG, @MarioLover92
I happen to pick up on your guys' Mario movie conversation, and I wanted to add something in real quick.

Disney did actually get the rights to the movie, it was just under their Hollywood Pictures label.
You're right that they almost got the rights to Mario in the parks.

Here's a video I saw about the Mario movie a while ago, that describes its history and how it came to be so bad:

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I going to be busy throughout the summer, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Sunsy

@SM3DASislit Yeah, I like the few movies I've seen from them, though I haven't seen all of them. I do feel people may dislike Illumination because of the minions. At one point, they were everywhere.

Cool, that reminds me, I did see Hop when it was on Netflix around Easter time.

I love Trolls, I enjoy the two movies and the two animated series, Trolls The Beat Goes On and TrollsTopia. Anyone can enjoy anything, I've always been into cartoons and animated movies, in addition to video games and anime. Being a kid at heart is a nice way of putting it.

I really like how your question is sparking talk on animated movies.

Sunsy

ThanosReXXX

@TheJGG I think you're WAY too harsh: Secret Life of Pets was a rather enjoyable movie in my opinion,
and I also don't recognize that lack of or deterioration of quality in their movie sequels. I can understand for example not everyone being enamored by the Minions, but besides them, the Despicable Me movies in general have all been received well, and I personally enjoyed all of them too.

@Tyranexx I was just kidding, hopefully obviously so. Anyone here is free to browse through my gaming catalog, on both Switch and Xbox, you're all welcome to it. Invites are also welcome. The more, the merrier...

@Sunsy Why on Earth would anyone here mind you taking a new avatar? It's your own profile, after all so
I wouldn't be bothered too much by people not liking that stamp-sized image next to your comments...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Illumination animated movies are awesome! Also to add "Sing" and the latest "Grinch" were awesome! Despicable me is like a classic to me now!

I think Disney is in a decline in animated movies as they only do Real Action remakes from which only Aladdin and (to some extent) Beauty and the Beast were good. Their animations are almost the same now because the team that makes the new ones likes to tweak their models into new movies Tangled > Frozen > Moana > Raya. Good movies but they almost look copy-pasted. (Like a chibi-boxer!)

Zuljaras

Eel

I like Sing, and Despicable Me, and can easily watch most of their movies without complaining.

I believe people dislike their tendency for low hanging fruit and childish humor, and a perceived lack of creativity.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Haha, okay, no pulling legs of the recently returned. Let's cut him some slack, shall we?

As for those movies: believe it or not, but I haven't seen a single one of these newly re-imagined Disney movies yet, so I have no opinion about them. As for other brands of movies, I don't particularly look at what company makes an animated movie, because I don't want to have a predisposed opinion about them.

I'll give them all a fair chance, and I'll watch them at least once. And maybe I'm just easy to please as well.
I mean: I also liked Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, so there you go...

EDIT:

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you: how's that Castlevania competition going?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Eel "perceived lack of creativity"

I kinda like that view. Does it mean that you're seeing something else there, like more than meets the eye, deeper/multiple layers or whatever?

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX The Castlevania competition as I see it is going the worst for me. The other competitors are real pros and their drawings are amazing. After I saw that (and LRG confirmed that the track in the shadowbox is Bloody tears) I ordered it as I have no chance to win it

I am talking without confirmation but Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, How to Train Your Dragon, Madagascar, Shrek, Kung-Fu Panda, Turbo, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, The Croods and so many more are DreamWorks Animation studios. I have watched almost all of them and I love them too

Yep I am big animation fan that also likes extreme gore fest games and movies.

Zuljaras

Sunsy

@ThanosReXXX Just a worry I had I guess. I've always used an Amy avatar ever since I've joined the site.

@Zuljaras So nice to see someone else who enjoyed Mr. Peabody and Sherman, I enjoy going back to that one from time to time. I rarely hear that one get talked about. I did see The Croods: A New Age recently as it was on Hulu, loved it. Honestly, it kind of exceeded my expectations too. Saw the first one months ago on Netflix.

Sunsy

Zuljaras

@Sunsy Yep I really liked it and we go back to it every year. Same with the Hotel Transylvania series.

Zuljaras

MarioLover92

@Sunsy Ah okay, that's cool you liked them. Never saw them. Totally recommend seeing those Studio Ghibli films!

@bimmy-lee I haven't, RCG and SoR4 were the ones that caught my eye. That's awesome you beat Double Dragon Neon - I have played one of the DD games on the NES Classic for a little bit. I had more fun with SoR though.

@SM3DASislit Yeah I agree with you on the Nintendo Direct! There's lots of games I'm excited for. Congrats on finishing your classes! Yeah, it was presented by Hollywood Pictures - it wasn't until later that I learned that it and Touchstone were alternate labels of Disney. I do like animated movies quite a bit too! Much of my childhood was spent seeing Disney movies, we had a lot of them on VHS back in the day.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch/3DS FC. Thanks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1302-5737 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

bimmy-lee

@MarioLover92 - Well, I don’t think you can go wrong with either if you’re ever feeling a little beat em up action. I’d say SOR4 is a bit better and more friendly to casual beat em up players, but just barely. It’s also cheaper. Let me know if you ever decide to get one of them. SOR4 has online co op if you ever want to team up. I’ll probably be dipping back into it before too long to knock the rust off ahead of the DLC, which is hopefully soonish.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Anti-Matter

Untitled
https://www.play-asia.com/story-of-seasons-friends-of-mineral...

WUUUUUUT....??!! 🤯🤯🤯
Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town will have PS4 version according to playasia ?! 😲

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Eel

Well, it’s a remake of a PlayStation game, in a weird roundabout way.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

@Eel
I saw from playasia, Rune Factory 4 Special also will get PS4 version too.

Don't tell me if Pioneer of Olive Town will have PS4 version too (And if that so, hopefully the PS4 version got some fixes and updates in disc).
Cannot imagine playing Pioneer of Olive Town in 4K and 60 fps (if possible) on PS5. 😲

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

MarioLover92

@bimmy-lee Oh sweet, plus I was planning on getting SoR4 first anyway. Would be cool to have a co-op session one of these days!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1302-5737 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Cool, I'll try to remember those two. Speaking of Studio Ghibli, I always wanted to see Kiki's Delivery Service, just never had the chance to.

Sunsy

MarioLover92

@Sunsy I've been considering seeing Kiki's Delivery Service as well, I heard it's really good. Would love to see it sometime, I see that it's streaming on HBO Max but I don't have that right now.

TheJGG

@SM3DASislit No problem, it's good to have you back! Now school's either starting to wind down or has already ended, it'll mean you'll be able to relax just that bit more!

Paramount Animation's catalogue is quite small, but I'll have to admit the second SpongeBob movie had pretty satisfying CGI with the above-water creatures. Except Sandy, that image is quite disgusting to behold.

I think the reason they get off easy is because their films and their brands (except SpongeBob) are much more low profile than Illumination's. As recently as two months ago I was watching Sky Sports F1 and saw a Sky broadband advert, involving nothing but Minions. They were the butt of the joke and that's the only reason that ad existed. Their marketing is clearly much more aggressive...

Incredibles II... I don't know... I really enjoyed the film when I first saw it but upon further reflection it felt rushed especially at the end. Which makes sense considering it lost one year of production because of a straight schedule swap with Toy Story 4, which came out in 2019. The twist villain felt like an afterthought, and didn't do much to make me truly hate her.

As my user profile says I like things that make you think. Some video games have fantastic stories, themes and writing, same with movies and books. Illumination films to me are incredibly shallow and... kinda laugh in the face of this trait. @ThanosReXXX I'm happy you can find enjoyment from the films; and honestly I did too when I was younger, but now I've realised what I like and dislike in film this falls into the latter... I do tend to agree with critics more often than not (or rather... I form my opinion of the film and feel better about it when I see critics saying the same thing). I'll may as well restate that Despicable Me is the only good film in their catalogue; that movie is quite good. But after that they seemingly became complacent. Honest question; do you think the movies are derivative?

(by the way, would you like to send me your Switch friend code? Or just use mine.)

@Sunsy First, your profile's wonderful. Poppy's such... a ray of sunshine I can't help but smile whenever I see her. But I'm loving the animated movie talk. Makes me reminisce of all the good and bad ones I've seen!

Edited on by TheJGG

Nintendo Fan Soundtrack II - Xenoblade Novel

NintendoLife’s number one motorsport fan.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic