Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 49,521 to 49,540 of 96,536

BruceCM

Yeah, some of the fans (& they do seem to be the vocal ones) are impossible to please, @ThanosReXXX .... I'd certainly like to see if any of them could do a 'better' film, though! Not too familiar with his other stuff, so no opinion on those.

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Sunsy

Been playing Super Mario 3D Land lately as it's been in my backlog for some time (when I got it, I was busy with other games). I never realized how many nods this game makes to Super Mario 3. Really liking these little nods to the game. I thought it was only the Tanooki suit.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Kind of reminds me of those sour pusses back in the day when the first Lord of the Rings movie was released. Yeah, sure, Jackson left out some things that were clearly mentioned in the book, but to his massive credit he did manage to make a near perfect cinematic version of a book that was until that point, always thought of as "unfilmable".

And as a multiple times reader and fan of the books I applaud him for it, because by now, I've seen the trilogy at least 8 times, and I still enjoy them thoroughly and I find them to be pretty darn faithful to the books. And as a non-purist, I have the objectivity to understand that even though he did manage to cram most of the book into a movie trilogy, that even he wasn't able to touch upon EVERYTHING mentioned in the books, because certain things described in books, or rather: the WAY they're described/incorporated in books just doesn't translate very well to the big screen, so some omissions are bound to happen.

Maybe not all of them, but most definitely part of these purists have a severe case of tunnel vision, and their logic is probably just something along the lines of "well, he already managed to get most of the book translated into a movie, so it shouldn't have been that hard to also incorporate those other 46 pages"...

Far as J.J. Abrams' other stuff goes, his best work can be found on TV or on any kind of streaming service you may be using. Here's a short list of the best series (in my opinion):

• Lost
  • Fringe
  • Alias (one of my personal favorites and Jennifer Garner's finest moment AND rise to fame)
  • Person of Interest
  • Revolution
  • Felicity
  • WestWorld

Some of his least successful series only had one season, but some of these too, are in my opinion still well worth a watch, and here are the two most interesting ones (again, in my opinion):

• Alcatraz
  • Believe

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BruceCM

Yeah, Jackson did awesome work on the initial trilogy, @ThanosReXXX.... It's not usually like the fans actually know much about film making! I don't, either but I know to factor that in when I try to be a critic
Mind you, I've seen some of the nitpicking videos & they can be interesting, I just wouldn't get very worked up about most of the points made in most of them

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

@MarioLover92
Um... Maybe i use "Ratchet & Clank" word to describe the 3D Action adventure genre (Free roaming in 3D environments).
I never played any Zelda games but BOTW (only a few minutes then neglected) so maybe that made me didn't describe Star Fox Adventures like Zelda games.
But from Youtube video i watched, i felt confident enough to play Star Fox Adventures as i have played Ratchet & Clank quite a lot so i saw the similarities by free roaming in 3D environments.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter The reason why people compare it to Zelda is obviously not because of Breath of the Wild, since that game came out much, much later than Star Fox Adventures. With Breath of the Wild, Nintendo chose a VERY different path, meaning that it is completely unlike any other Zelda game out there.

So, you need to compare it to the older Zelda games, and those are VERY similar in formula to any other 3D free roaming objective-based adventure game. Or actually: the other way around. Those games play much like Zelda games.

It's simply so that quite a few games have historically taken their queues from Nintendo. That's why there's also a thing as "Metroidvania", to indicate a side-scrolling adventure game.

Anyway, Star Fox Adventures most definitely IS a Zelda-like game, there's no denying that. It could have been something unique and quite different, but in this one unfortunate case, Nintendo put down their foot a bit too hard and the game utterly failed to gain a large following, because of the forced Star Fox format.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter Damien wrote a feature (link) about Star Fox Adventures that features an interview with Phil Tossell, the game's lead software engineer. To this day, it's Rare's only GameCube title since Microsoft snapped them up about a year before the game released.

@Heavyarms55 I'm...not sure if you did mention on here what you did the night of Magikarp Community Day, but I'm sure all is well if it wasn't anything illegal. IIRC I was quite busy that day but did manage to land a couple of golden flopping fish.

I'm definitely keeping it as trade fodder. Heck, I'd trade you for a shiny Jigglypuff since I don't yet have one, but I suspect we're too far apart to take care of the distance trading Niantic is allowing right now. XD Unfortunately, most of my extra shinies are related to Cdays, so many people already have those. I did recently distance swap my last extra shiny Minccino for a Noibat though! I landed a ton during that event lol.

Agreed on the Switch's retro support (or lack thereof). I'm glad there's any at all, but Nintendo's NSO offerings could definitely be better. With the latest round of NSO announcements, I'd at least...heard of one. Seems like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel before moving on. Heck, I'd pay for a decent up-scaled port of a game I haven't played before. I wish they'd offer the best of both worlds: let Switch Online subscribers access a bevy of retro content, and also allow the titles to be bought individually for the crazy ones like yours truly lol.

@TheJGG It's on the list! Though admittedly my movie watching has been a bit sluggish these past few months....

On Illumination: I somewhat agree with you - the films of theirs that I've watched have been hit or miss - but I did enjoy Sing. Nothing too spectacular about it, but it was worth the discount Tuesday price at my local theater. They do overuse the minions way too much though. They were cute at first, but after awhile they became tiresome. Kind of like Nickelback songs on the radio when I was in high school.

@ThanosReXXX More good titles, you say? I've heard of a couple of them, specifically The Wind Rises and When Marnie Was There. I shall research them! Or just buy an entire box set of Studio Ghibli films....

@MarioLover92 I used to game quite a bit on the bus, when I wasn't studying or reading lol. Depending on the route that year, I could be on the bus for about an hour. I lived in the sticks as a kid, so you could do about anything without too much noise (except homework thanks to the bumps) once/until the town kids our driver was in charge of left/boarded the vehicle.

I did start down the path of retro cart collection a few years ago, mostly with Zelda titles, but I gave that up fairly quickly. The Virtual Console had a lot of what I needed and was, most times, more cost-effective than hunting down carts for a good price and scrutinizing pictures of them to ensure they weren't bootlegs lol.

I love cats! I really enjoy dogs too (and most animals), but at the end of the day I prefer felines. No pets of my own currently though; I'm not fond of the idea of any indoor pets, and an outdoor pet where I live would be a death sentence thanks to a busy road. Someone hit a large dog just up the road the week after I moved in.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

MarioVillager92

@Tyranexx Oh no, that's awful! Poor dog... And yeah, I'm the same exact way, too. Although I'm a cat guy, I get along with dogs just as well!

And yeah, I'm also the same way with retro games nowadays. I like making sure that the game in question made it to the Virtual Console or Switch Online. They're much cheaper, and they're guaranteed to be the real deal. Though Nintendo Life did post a really good video on how to identify bootleg games, I much prefer the safer route with VC or NSO.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Anti-Matter

I don't know if any of you have interest with Beatmania IIDX, rhythm game from Konami, but i really have interest with that game despite i have ever tried several times on Arcade and i wasn't really good in finger tapping but still have big enthusiasm about playing Beatmania IIDX.

I have a plan to get Beatmania IIDX PS2 games and play them with Pop'n Music controller since they looks identical but with different button key size and amount
(IIDX = 7 keys + 1 Disc scratch, Pop'n Music = 9 buttons).
Having Beatmania IIDX at home with alternative proper controller is like a dream comes true to have Arcade at home especially during pandemic, i cannot go out to play on Arcade.

If you never know what the heck is Beatmania IIDX, check this video.

My favorite based on theme, interface and songs selection are 13 Distorted, 16 Empress, 9th style, 12 Happy Sky.
Untitled
(Image taken from Google image)
(Not even my collection)

Beatmania IIDX is still exist until today. The newest version was Beatmania IIDX 28 Bistrover.

Raise your hand if you are also like Rhythm games from Konami. 🖐🖐🖐

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

@Anti-Matter I'm looking for retromania this month! The road warriors are playing and they're two I absolutely loved growing up.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Anti-Matter last time I player a ddr game was a while back. Probably back when they first hit arcades. It's never really been my thing but I know you love them. I'm just not any good at them lol

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Well, all the titles I listed are links to YouTube trailers, so take your pick..

PokemonGirl99

@Sunsy my favorite two episodes of The Backyardigans are Whodunit and International Super Spy 🕵️‍♀️

PokemonGirl99

RR529

Finally decided to replace the old Wi-Fi router we've been using since 2009/10 (it only has one band, on the 2.4 GHz frequency). Speeds are decent enough with it on the main floor (other than the occasional streaming video quality dips on certain devices), but I practically can't stream anything in HD upstairs (and the Switch can't even connect to the internet up there), so I figured I'd buy something newer.

Bought one of those eero mesh router systems, which are supposedly really easy to set up. Should arrive sometime this week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sunsy

@PokemonGirl99 That's nice. To be honest, I can't remember much of the Backyardigans, I remember seeing it a few times when my nephew watched it when he was little, but never actually watched it. It was a scene here and a scene there. Usually whenever he spent time with me, it was video games.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

ThanosReXXX

@RR529 Always go for wired/cable connection. Wi-Fi just can't compete and speeds on Wi-Fi can vary from 50% up to only 20% of a wired connection, so for game consoles and HD and up streaming services, it just doesn't suffice. Otherwise you'd have to install Wi-Fi boosters and what not to try and upgrade your connection, but it still won't compare either way.

Tyranexx

Brrrr, brrrr, and brrrr! On top of very cold temps and windy conditions, we're now dealing with a winter storm in my neck of the woods. I'd estimate there's already 7-8 inches (~17.5-20.3 cm) on the ground, and I guarantee there will be another 1-2 inches before it stops overnight. I worked from home today and likely will tomorrow as well. I'll need to shovel out at some point, so I did some of my driveway earlier before I ran out of daylight. Normally I wait until a snow event is over, but with the sheer amount of snow I figured I'd move at least some of it out of the way and make my job tomorrow easier. It doesn't help that the snow is still drifting quite badly. X_X

I don't mind a little bit if snow, but this is too much! Snow events aren't uncommon here, but this much at once is a rare occurrence these days.

@MarioLover92 I tend to get along with most dogs pretty well, though I do have a preference for medium and large dogs over smaller ones. Not that I dislike small dogs, but I've encountered too many with Small Dog Syndrome. XD I get along with cats pretty well, though it also depends on the feline's socialization level and personality.

Agreed! The VC and NSO are definitely safer routes. Plus, you don't need to worry about a cart or disk being damaged, poorly cared for, or dying unexpectedly....

@ThanosReXXX Eeny menie miney moe....

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic