Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 45,601 to 45,620 of 96,530

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy You're totally cool, no worries. Sorry you lost your copy of MP4 I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to SMP, as well. I mostly play my Switch, but I also have quite a few games on Steam. Really should get back to Stardew Valley one of these days, lol

Never was a big movie guy, either, but I did see a good amount of them throughout my lifetime so far. (Even counting the few times I've been in a theater.) Sometimes I pick a movie and just watch my favorite parts (if I'm watching on DVD and blu-ray), if I'm not up for watching the entire thing. They can be quite long after all, lol. I've always been a video game guy more so than a movie guy, personally.

Just curious, what is your favorite Sonic game? For me, it's either Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic Mania.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 It's alright, wish I knew where it went before moving. I wouldn't mind a sequel to Super Mario Party either, I think I was planning to get Mario Party 10 at some point, but SMP makes up for it. My friend played a lot of Stardew Valley. Never did play it.

Usually, I've just always been into family friendly movies more than other kinds of movies, so I tend to watch those. I rarely go to the theater. I had plans to see Trolls World Tour in theaters, but we all know what happened so I ended up renting it digitally (now own the Blu-Ray/DVD of it). Last time I was in one was to see Sonic back in February. If I go to a theater twice a year, that's usually a lot for me, most movies I watch at home.

My favorite Sonic. Tough choice. I'd say Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure, Heroes, Riders, Battle, and Unleashed (Wii version) are my favorites. Thinking of the ones I've played throughout the years.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Heavyarms55

I consume almost disgusting amounts of fiction. I read all the time. I play game after game. I watch so much anime. I've done this most of my life. As a result, these days, it's become very very rare that I watch something that really just blows me away or astounds me. The moments where I'm sitting there reading and have to just stop to appreciate what I've read, or when I reach the end of a game and want to laugh, cry and cheer at the same time. Moments of terror when, even knowing full well what I am seeing is totally fake, I still flinch back from the screen. Or sad moments that genuinely make me cry.

It's not that I think the quality of fiction has dropped over the years or anything, just that I've seen so many ideas already, things don't impress me so much anymore. Something has to be really incredible now, to really move me. But on the other hand, that means the times I'm legitimately impressed now are that much greater. I might get those moments once or twice a year, tops. In a really good year, maybe 3 or 4 times. But that is it. In a way, it's kind of like a drug, that once you take it, you need a stronger dose to get the buzz again, but I always want it.

And repeat occurrences in the same work of fiction, in the same series, are even rarer. I can think of 5 examples.
One American movie series, the Marvel Cinematic universe, had my excitement levels through the roof twice and had me legit in tears once.
One TV show, 2004's Battlestar Galactica, several times throughout the series I cried and a couple times I cheered. - this I still consider my overall favorite work of fiction to date.
One book series, The Expanse, which has delivered everything on more than one occasion and gosh darn it I need that final book scheduled for later this year so bad!
One video game series, Xenoblade in both XC1 and 2 there are several moments of almost everything - except fear. Those games never really scared me.

And the most recent addition to this list: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World. 4 years ago when I first finished watching the first season, I was so blown away I said if I could give the show 6 stars out of 5, I would. And now, this second season, while still on-going, has blown me away again. Every time I think the show can't top itself, it does. Every time I worry they've gone to far, and now I'm just past caring, they prove me wrong. Every time I think it can't surprise me anymore, it has.

Not that anyone asked. But I felt like sharing. As has always been the case, fiction is my drug and my escape from real world issues I have no control over and often cannot deal with.

@Wavey84 The overwhelming majority of content coming out of Hollywood has not impressed me for a very long time. The last western film I saw that I really did like was Avengers Endgame and that in no small part because it was (for me anyway) the finale of the MCU that I had followed for a full decade. (yes I know it's still got new movies being made, but no, I don't really care)

I think part of the issue with Hollywood is that they don't have good reason to innovate anymore. I was watching a Nostalgia Critic episode a few weeks ago and he pointed out that these lackluster movies that get luke warm responses generally still make very good money. Hollywood has learned how to turn out, easy, safe products that make money, so they just don't have to try that hard anymore. They don't care if they get consistent 3/5s if a 3/5 still makes good money. "passable" is all they need to worry about.

And there is no real competition. The entry bar to making your own film and getting it in theaters is so incredibly high that it's virtually impossible for any newcomers to pop up. If you read my above babbling, you'll notice I point out that I read, I play games and I watch anime. I didn't mention Hollywood movies or American TV because it's been about 10 years since either of those have impressed me with anything close to consistency. Every now and then something will come out that I enjoy, but it's just not worth my time or money to dig through the crap to find it anymore. I'd rather watch seasonal anime or read a book or play game. And what do those things have in common that's different from Hollywood and American TV? There's a lot more competition and the entry level to get in is far lower. I've seen the looks I sometimes get when I talk about something like Dr. Stone or Star Wars, the New Jedi Order or Octopath Traveler. For people who haven't seen, read or played those things, it sounds over the top and ridiculous. And Hollywood would never risk the tens of millions of dollars needed to try and make a story like those kinds of things. Investors don't want to take chances with extravagant or original or daring or atypical ideas. They want to ride the cash cow of "live action" reboots of 30 year old Disney cartoons, or to rehash the same old tied romcoms but with new music and more recent slang. It's not a weird coincidence that there's like 2 million police TV shows at this point, because studios know they can make it work and someone will watch it. The creativity of Hollywood has been stifled. They know that if you walk out of a theater or finish a TV show and just say "ehh, it wasn't horrible" they did their job. It just needs to be good enough that you don't make a big deal of telling people it's bad and they shouldn't watch it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

porto

Heavyarms55 and NEStalgia get the reward for most longest posts

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Blooper987

@Wavey84 my problem with modern movies is that it seems like they all feel like the have to insert a certain side of the political spectrum. Also I find all of these remakes unbearable. It seems that almost no one can come up with an original idea that isn’t based around politics.

@Heavyarms55 There are very few games that just leave me in awe Undertale and three houses seem to be some of the most recent examples of games that just left me emotional. Same with books. There’s this one series of books I read when I was younger called the Five Kingdoms, and when it ended I legit almost cried because of how perfect everything seemed to end it was beautiful. Even though it sounds funny, the old 70’s or 80’s show MASH actually left me emotional too😂. I don’t watch enough anime but I would love to get into series like Naruto or My Hero.

@Apportal Uh oh here comes the comment police. Jk Jk

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy I think you made a good move - Mario Party 9 and 10 were drastically different from the other games, with that vehicle thing going on. So that might've threw you off slightly if you're so used to the older games. Admittedly, I didn't hate them as much as some others did, but I still had more fun with the first 8.

That's cool you're into family-friendly movies - I have that soft spot for Disney movies in particular! I used to be into them when I was much younger, mostly from the Disney Renaissance era but I did see a few from back when Walt was around. The most recent ones I've seen were Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, and Frozen 2 - I enjoyed them. Guess I still have that child in me, lol Switching gears a bit, I'm thinking of seeing that Sonic movie one of these days. I did hear it's pretty good. But yeah, most of the time I watch movies at home too.

That's cool - I really like Sonic 2, as well. That was the first Sonic game I've played. I also liked SA1 and 2.

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

Blooper987

I wanted to ask: does anybody else miss Miiverse or was that just me?

MarioVillager92

@Blooper987 Really like My Hero Academia, I recommend giving it a watch sometime. Can't wait for season 5.

As for Miiverse, yeah I kinda miss it too. I've pretty much been treating Nintendo Life as a makeshift Miiverse, particularly with the New Horizons thread.

Ninfan

Blooper987 wrote:

@Blooper987 i never got o participate in it . but it must have been god fun.

Ninfan

Heavyarms55

@Blooper987 Big anime like Naruto or My Hero are up and down rides and massive time commitments. Personally I'd encourage you to go for smaller shows instead.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Blooper987

@Heavyarms55 can’t be worse than watching all the Pokémon anime. My friend watches Naruto and Bleach a lot and says it’s really good, and My Hero looks like something I would enjoy. I’ve seen almost no anime except for a few of the video game related ones like Sonic X, yokai, Pokémon, and Ace Attorney

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Then that's good to know.

I love Disney. The time I was in the theater before Sonic was to see Frozen 2. I loved a lot of the classics, Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, I could go on. Even some of their recent stuff like Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph. If you see the Sonic movie, hope you enjoy it. Also, make sure to stay for the credits scene. Not gonna say a word.

Cool, Sonic 2 was my the first Sonic game I've played. My brother just got a Genesis and I played it there. Before, I did like Sonic because of the cartoons on TV.

@Blooper987 I didn't post much to it, but I do remember peaking on and off it. Sorry to say, I don't miss it much.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I used to watch Sailor Moon from season 1 - 5 from local channel Indosiar with Indonesian dubbing. It when i was 6 grade student until grade 9 student.
Sailor Moon S with Lady Gaga like Daimons and silly Lovely scream were my favorite things.
After S the series went boring and not interesting as shown more sexual references (crossdressing Fisheye and his interest with guys, gender swap from Sailor Stars)

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

(Head desk)
Untitled

Ugh....
I still couldn't draw very nice Anthro Owl, Woodpecker and Duck for my Avian Kickboxer. 😖
Owl, Woodpecker and Duck were very challenging to draw.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

porto

Blooper987 wrote:

Oh yeah. I didn’t participate in it as much as I should’ve though, so I can’t say much regarding it. I was only a wee lad then. Good times.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

ogo79

@redd214
good luck.
send me some, i have an email

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

kkslider5552000

I don't normally go out of my way to recommend anything but uh, Infinity Train is one of the best shows I've ever seen and gets my highest recommendation. I just watched the 3rd season and it is just...top tier stuff.

Unfortunately, its stuck on a less popular streaming service that's America only right now. Which is just...unfair. It's like being stuck on Wii U, it deserves so much more than what it can reasonably even be expected to get.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy Yeah I do too! The ones you've mentioned are all good movies. Beauty and the Beast is probably my favorite Disney movie overall. (I even have the 25th anniversary blu-ray - I love it that much!) That, The Lion King, 101 Dalmatians, and Toy Story (technically Pixar, but close enough lol) were some of my favorite movies as a kid. I saw Frozen 2 in the theater as well - that was lucky timing, since we had no clue that there was gonna be a pandemic the next year!

As for Sonic, I'll definitely get to the movie at some point. My first exposure to Sonic was the SatAM cartoon - I remember going to Blockbuster and renting VHS tapes of it. I liked them quite a bit.

Anti-Matter

I think i will consider Everybody's Golf 2 PSP.
But the problem is i'm not really good at aiming the direction and measuring the right power to hit the ball.
I oftenly got Bogey or More than +2 scores. Very rare i could get Birdie or Par.
I found Everybody's Golf 2 PSP was so cute and pretty similar with Mario Golf.
Any tips to hit the ball accurately and measuring the wind factor ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Tasuki

@Wavey84 Most of my PS4 games are digital. I have a few physical where I found them at good prices. However I found overall the sales on digital games alot better which is why most of my collection is digital. The easy of switching games is a nice bonus too.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic