Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 44,901 to 44,920 of 96,305

Heavyarms55

So as my paranoia was growing again, I went down into the airport from my hotel room just to see what it was like at midday when it is supposed to be as busy as it gets right now. The airport is... slightly less empty. I think there were 2 flights checking in. There's facilities for at least 12. Just in this terminal. There are three terminals. And the monitor on the wall was just a list of cancelled flights, and the 2 that aren't. I'm in Tokyo one of the biggest cities on planet Earth. It's creepy. And I honestly have no idea how the airline industry is going to survive this.

But on a personal note, I did find a Delta employee who told me that the flights that are still on, are indeed still on, and all should be fine for me departure tomorrow, barring some freak random thing happening, and then she assured me that, if that freak thing did happen tomorrow, there's another, identical flight, that they could schedule me for the very next day. So, that should help me sleep a bit better tonight. She explained that the few flights that are scheduled still, are very stable. So it should be fine.

@HobbitGamer Thanks, I wasn't too worried about weather honestly, it's far too early in the year for typhoons in this area. But at the same time, the last 2 years I've been in Japan, I've had people telling me how everything was wrong. The last 2 winters we had no snow where I lived in Shiga. All the Ski resorts went bankrupt. And the rainy season this year was a full month late. Soooo usual trends aren't so usual anymore.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 That’s understandable why you’re heading back then. That’s crazy that the airport in Tokyo is that quiet.

Hopefully things in the town where you’ll be living are alright. At least given the circumstances.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision I can't stress just how weird it is how empty this place is. I went to get food at merely 7pm. I thought, it's not even dark outside yet, surely at least one place is still open. I check the hotel restaurant, closed, so I think I'll go into the airport and get ramen again at the place I ate yesterday, closed. So I think, okay, I'll go to the 7-11 I saw by check in and get some junk, closed. Japanese 7-11s do not close. I've never seen one closed. I ended up finding a Lawson, 2 floors underground that was open. This facility has more stores and restaurants and is designed to handle more travelers than the total population of the town I lived in for the last 5 years. And it's basically empty.

As for my end destination, as far as I know, by American standards, it's alright. But from what my mother has described, it's still real closed down and what's open is highly limited. And my cousin was with my mother and uncle yesterday, and went into labor - and gave birth to her child... 4 months premature. The kid is, somehow, alive and breathing but... have you ever heard of a kid being born 4 months early? So there's another wrench of drama in my family. So far, it's not a tragedy but...

No more surprises. Please. At least not for a few months...

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

DenDen

@Heavyarms55 oeff hope the child is alright.
I hope you will get the rest from now you need.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Eel

@Heavyarms55 yeah, it's not super common but it happens. Preterm babies are super tiny and fragile, but with good care and attention, and good luck, they can live mostly normal lives.

At 4 months though, it's really really preterm. So I hope they're trying to make time to come to terms with the possibility that their child may not make it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

MarioVillager92

@Heavyarms55 Wow that's crazy that the airport's near empty. But good to hear that you're still getting your flight! Safe travels once your flight arrives tomorrow.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Tyranexx

I...thought I had a reply in this thread, but now I can't find it? Was something removed? O_o

@Heavyarms55 Your airport situation sounds like a cross between the movies The Terminal and Contagion. I tend to avoid really busy places like that unless I absolutely can't, but I do agree that it must be quite unnerving for a place that's normally full of thousands of people to not be. Safe travels, and I hope that all goes well for you. And especially for your cousin and her newborn child. Preemies are fighters, especially with proper care.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

Woo I found a cheap 2DS XL at a retail store. It was the last one they had, and the box was slightly discolored, but the system itself was still sealed in and it looks absolutely perfect. So now I'm really set to enjoy all my 3DS games on the long run.

It was around 160 dollars, which is absolutely a good price here in Mexico. Specially now that most new ones on Amazon cost almost double that.

It's the white+orange one, btw. Not exactly a color I'd pick, but it was the literal last unit they had. I don't really dislike it either though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

WoomyNNYes

@Eel Yeah!!! Nice find, Eel. I love the white & orange! The gamecube purple one is good too.

"Fo-ledge"
I was trying to figure out what's growing on leaves at my brothers house (it's gall mite growths, figured it out), but I came across this video. See, I thought they were "leaves", she has some fancy tree with "fo-ledge". (forgive me my southern people. Just funny to hear accents. haha)

When I was an inside rep for a paint company, a southern guy (USA) called asking for "Shale Yellow". I was like, shale? Like the sedimentary rock? He said, "no, shale". We went back & forth like this several times, and I was starting to feel bad, but it turned out, this southern gentleman wanted "Shell Oil Yellow". haha. Ahh, accents.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Eel

Yeah that purple one is really cool, I would've probably picked that, had I a choice.

How does one go form shell oil to shale anyway.

Bloop.

WoomyNNYes

@Eel That's how some thicker south-eastern US accents say Shell. They say it like "shale". And it was a learning experience

Edit: When many southerners say "well, thank you", they say it like, "whale, thank you".

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Tyranexx

@WoomyNNYes Haha, that reminds me of how my grandmother and some of her family still pronounce "wash". They say it like "warsch". I'm in the lower Midwest, not far from a blend region where some Southern twangs start mixing into speech on occasion. No Kentucky or Tennessee accents here, but I've been told that we still sound slightly "Southern". XD

I find different accents interesting and fun. I try not to make a big deal out of it though as I don't want people to get the (wrong) idea that I'm making fun of them.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

Hah here in Mexico, having a different accent from what’s normal (in the area you’re currently in) is basically the same as carrying a sign that says “roast me”.

Apparently, here where I live we have a bit of a northern accent, but more neutral than on other parts. It’s not quite as... Strong...

For reference, Mexican northern is pretty similar to USA southern.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

WoomyNNYes

@Tyranexx haha "warsh". My parents are michiganders, so ive heard that insane R thrown in there I wonder if @heavyarms55 says "warsh"?🤔 There's a small chance he might

Yeah, college in northwest Ohio, i heard ohioans with southern accents.

My gosh, though. When i heard that woman in the youtube video say "fo-ledge", it smacked me the face, and made me chuckle. Also. Amy Sedaris says fo-ledge as part of her latest character on whatever that home maker crafting show is If you don't watch her, though, don't sweat it.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

ogo79

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 That is really bizarre. Definitely get some Twilight Zone vibes from your description. I was at Narita several years ago and it was one of the busiest airports I’ve ever seen. Though it felt like heaven compared to LAX. Haha.

Hope you got some decent rest. Sounds like you got a lot to keep you busy, which helps on those long hauls.

NotTelevision

Anti-Matter

COVID 19 pandemic inspired some peoples in creativity.
When last time i created my own Nemesis, Queen Covidia (aka Neo Covidia 2.0 as her true final form) as the Queen of COVID-19 virus, i found other people created a "DDR" song with title COVID

And.... Ouch!!
It was level 19 on the hardest difficulty.

Anti-Matter

Tasuki

So The Rock has purchased the XFL. The story of this league is getting stranger and stranger.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

kkslider5552000

The Undead XFL's continuous existence is a rare bright spot in this year, I have to admit.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic