Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 23,981 to 24,000 of 96,538

Freelance

@Delibheel Well, you got that right. I spent a fortune on them. Here's a little comic recreation I made:

Untitled

Edited on by Freelance

Freelance

Vinny

Undertale: The Motion Picture (2020)
Starring Adam Sandler as sans undertale.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

GeoChrome

Adam Sandler is Papyrus. Danny DeVito is snas undertale.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia: Heh, fair enough. In my case, the PS4 has more exclusives that I'd be willing to play. I was put off of X1 in the beginning with the "always online" comments mostly. There was another reason as well, but I don't recall what it was. I still lived with my parents at the time, and their broadband (if you can call it that) was and still is garbage. I'm still surprised that I was ever able to play WoW on that connection. Granted, my 6 MB isn't too much better, but at least it's become more reliable now that they've upgraded the lines. Now only if that company bringing in fiber would hurry up with their construction phase....

On the subject of drops: That's precisely what I'm really getting at: the possible loss of software. It's partially why I'm less eager to tote my modern portable systems (3DS presently) around too much. What I wouldn't give for a proper system where you could re-download your games AND saves...and back then up yourself for extra insurance.

HobbitGamer wrote:

But, can’t you speak English?? Considering you type it so well.

That was my initial reaction as well. From my own experience with foreign languages, however, there are a few differences between learning how to read, write, and speak a language.

I took three years of German in high school. I can still read the language 1/2 to 2/3 of the time and have retained some basic sentence composition (If ya don't use it, ya unfortunately lose it), but following along with a native speaker? Nope.

At least @Delibheel has a head start on me in comparison. I can read a little Spanish from stuff I've picked up over time. But speaking it? Nope.

I still credit learning "Manzana" to Sesame Street.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

Well, Chinese uses a completely different set of characters.

You already have kind of an idea of how A B and C are kinda supposed to sound and work. That makes it a bit easier to grasp different written languages that use them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

In my case it's mostly a speed thing. I often understand enough of both German and Spanish to know it's being spoken, but not nearly enough to follow along most of the time.

Plus I'm also socially awkward IRL, which doesn't help lol.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

Eel

Oh yes the awkwardness has a lot to do with it too.

I'm perfectly capable of listening and understanding English in movies and YouTube videos.

But put a real fleshy person in front of me and make them spout words and suddenly I don't hablo inglés.

And oh my God the worst thing is when you try to speak as clearly as you are capable of and the other person goes "what?" (Complete with puppy head tilt).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tyranexx

In terms of other languages, I just haven't had enough practice. Unfortunately, most of my language learning occurs with programming presently. I envy those who are fluent in more than one language.

My problem with spoken conversations in general is that I'm not the best reader of visual and vocal cues. I tend to miss some stuff that others find fairly obvious. I find text on a screen way less awkward...and you can proofread it.

I'll still take face interaction over things like phones though. At least face-to-face comes with cues to begin with....

Tyranexx

Another thing that I like, but can also be frustrating: accents. I find them fascinating, but at the same time have trouble understanding certain dialects or ways of speech.

ReaderRagfish wrote:

Blitzenexx wrote:

Plus I'm also socially awkward IRL, which doesn't help lol.

Socializing is hard enough in your native language, eh?

Funnily enough, it is. I'm not as bad as I used to be, but it's difficult for me to just walk up to someone and talk to them out of the blue.

Tyranexx

I hate talking on phones, voice chatting, drive up, etc. I always find it awkward and get so nervous, which comes with brain freezing and some stuttering. I often try to rehearse important conversations (mixed results with this approach). I'm not normally a big procrastinator, but I do put off phone calls unless they're very important. Drive up I'll only do if I really am in a hurry.

I'm also one of those people who would rather die than speak in front of a large group.

NEStalgia

@Delibheel you're going to California, its basically North Mexico. Nobody there speaks English. And the people that do speak only like in local dialects other like English speakers like can't like understand. It's like Cantonese. Or French Canadian. Or Welsh English. It's only English if you don't know English .

@ReaderRagfish simplified Chinese, written, is easy. The pronunciation of the tonals is nightmarish. Shi shi shi shi shi shi shi...

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

GeoChrome

Jumkey Mones died today.

GeoChrome

It’s a first letter switch. I was saying that the channels Mumkey Jones & Mumkey Jones 2 were both mass flagged and terminated today. I would post a link to the video he made on another channel about it, but it’s littered with profanity and controversial issues.
He actually might die though.

Edited on by GeoChrome

GeoChrome

@NEStalgia I’m assuming this is a joke, but you are technically right. Baja, California is considered part of Mexico, so California really is just up north from a part of Mexico that is also part of the state itself.

Eel

He means there's a lot of Mexican families and people who speak Spanish in California.

Baja California is quite officially part of Mexico, and is currently not tied to the US California in any way besides the name.

As a fun fact, what was originally the one California (California+BC+BCS) is so big because the people who named it started at the peninsula and kept going north. They simply thought it was one very, very big island.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

GeoChrome

@Delibheel I understand that, I’m living in the biggest state to have Hispanics as the majority population. I also know that Baja technically isn’t part of CA, but they are connected and share the name. Nice fun fact, they don’t teach such interesting things as that in history class at least not in United States or TX history, world history is great.

Eel

As a continuation to the fun fact, the name comes from the fictional island of California. Said to be a terrestrial paradise, located on the right hand of the Indies, and inhabited only by women.

Given that the people who "first" found America originally thought they had circled the world and landed in the Indies, then it was only fitting that the Spanish conquistadores exploring the place would call the supposed new island California.

Some sources imply they were not fully aware it was a fictional place, and they honestly thought it was a legendary island they found.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NEStalgia

@Blitzenexx "I'll still take face interaction over things like phones though. At least face-to-face comes with cues to begin with...." Here here! I still loathe phones as the most useless form of communication and a waste of everyone's time and energy. The written word is strong, refined, and absolute, and face to face includes context. Phones are disembodied voices with neither the context of face contact nor the refined absolutes of text. Alexander Bell was a hack.

@Delibheel Well, given it's California, the men are close enough to being women that you can't tell without close inspection.... the myth was true enough. (I love picking on The People's Democratic Republic of California.....it's too easy )

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic