Forums

Topic: system war ps2 vs gamecube

Posts 181 to 200 of 220

Hokori

Even though I've owned more GCN games I'll say PS2 since it has a lot of JRPGs I want, but will probably be remade for WiiU or 3DS
Anyway TL;DR PS2

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Bankai

Watching TV is gaming? Seriously it's easier to name 20 things that came out after Nintendo announce said tech then it is to name 20 things that came before said tech.

No but gaming isn't the centre of the universe, and applying technology that exists outside of gaming to gaming is not innovation. It's nothing more than copying a good idea - which, amusingly enough, the Nintendo fanboys often accuse everyone else in the gaming industry of doing.

On the subject of "Copying Ideas"; stop arguing about originality and start arguing about who you feel does it right. While it is historically significant to keep in mind the originators, using those as basis for argument does not work in your favor.

I agree. It becomes impossible to say "Move or Kinect is the better motion technology" though (for instance), because the invariable response is "hurr they copied Nintendo." Entirely untrue, which is why it's important to go back to the actual roots of the technology. Nintendo fanboys don't like doing that though because what they end up seeing is that Nintendo hasn't actually invented anything in years.

On this discussion of innovation, isn't it the games themselves that determine the value of innovation, as well as innovate themselves?

Agreed. Where there is real innovation, it happens in the software. Here's why: Gaming is not a area for cutting edge technology. Technology can only be implemented in gaming consoles when it has become economically viable to sell the technology cheaply. In other words - the first glasses-free 3D panels were obscenely expensive. The first touch screens were obscenely expensive. It's only once the technology has dropped down to mass-market prices that the likes of Nintendo, Apple and Sony would consider including it in their consoles.

For that reason, Nintendo doesn't invest R & D on new technology creation. It spends the money on adaptation. Nintendo's not big enough to invest in new technology creation. Apple, Microsoft, IBM and to a lesser extent, Sony, have the scale to do so, but those innovations are years away from gaming application.

Cloud computing has been around for 5+ years now. It's only starting to be applied to gaming now because it's only now hitting a reasonable price for consumers.

I could go on and on, but the point is this - real, genuine innovation has no place in gaming, because no gamers can afford real, genuine innovative products. Technology starts in commercial applications, and then consumer companies find ways to apply to mass-market applications.

But in terms of software? It's in Nintendo's interests to be as cutting edge as possible there, because cutting-edge software is marketable and commercially viable to the mass market.

Edited on by Bankai

RR529

PS2 for me, hands down. Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, FFX, Ace Combat 4, Soulcalibur III, Okami, Ace Combat 5, Ultimate Spider-Man. I just had absolutely too much fun with that system.

I still need to play more GCN games, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Mieu-Fire

damn its so hard i wanna say GC but the best game of all time is on the ps2(tales of the abyss)
SO PS2
ps2:4
GC:1

Edited on by Mieu-Fire

MANGO

Bankai

I'm going to go with the Gamecube on this one. At the time of both consoles, I was still living at home with my family, and so multiplayer was important. The GC thanks to Smash Brothers and other games was the best local multiplayer console I've ever owned.

Hokori

^ shocker

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Mieu-Fire

your now just about to make me faint o.o

MANGO

-Juice-

Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion, Gamecube hands down.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Hokori

WhiteKnight wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

^ shocker

Why are you shocked?

OH RIGHT! I forgot. Unless I worship Nintendo and hate everything else I must hate Nintendo.

sigh

I'll give you a heart attack with this then: the SNES > Megadrive and I never even owned a PSOne. I had a N64.

No because this is the ABSOLUTE first time I've heard you say ANYTHING possitive to Nintendo in the 2 and a half years I've been on here

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Jani-Koblaney

Gamecube. Although the ps2 had a great library, I hate the ps controller! Also the gamecube had all the nintendo exclusives and a great controller!

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

Jani-Koblaney

HarmoKnight wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

^ shocker

Why are you shocked?

OH RIGHT! I forgot. Unless I worship Nintendo and hate everything else I must hate Nintendo.

sigh

I'll give you a heart attack with this then: the SNES > Megadrive and I never even owned a PSOne. I had a N64.

No because this is the ABSOLUTE first time I've heard you say ANYTHING possitive to Nintendo in the 2 and a half years I've been on here

Same here!

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

Jani-Koblaney

WhiteKnight wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

^ shocker

Why are you shocked?

sigh

Well based on what you have said before, it's not suprising that people are shocked. I have never seen you write anything positive about ninty.

Edited on by Jani-Koblaney

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

Joeynator3000

chooses PS2 for absolutely no reason

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Gamesake

The PS2 was easily my least favorite sixth gen console. While everyone was presenting exciting new games, the PS2 was pushing all the same stuff that had been done already on the PSX: survival horror clones, obscure JRPGs, and Metal Gear Solid. It just wasn't enough anymore. Playing DVD movies wasn't a selling point for me either since I never considered it a burden to switch between video 1 and video 2. The GameCube wasn't my favorite system, but it certainly had greater first party games and better Dreamcast ports than PS2. I vote GameCube.

...in my pants.

Bankai

HarmoKnight wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

^ shocker

Why are you shocked?

sigh

Good to know you've read every single comment I've made!

For the record, most of the time when I 'critise Nintendo' I'm actually simply correcting the insane and inane crap that Nintendo fanboys spit out.

If certain people didn't elevate Nintendo into a God-like entity I would have far less to say.

Edited on by Bankai

StefyG

Gamecube I grew up with luigis mansion. Frearing it until two whole years later but i was 5 back then!

StefyG

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.