Forums

Topic: PC vs X1X Cost Effectiveness

Posts 141 to 160 of 192

NEStalgia

Ohh, that's a really cool link, thanks!

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia What? I feel like I'm being thrown under the bus here, lol (kidding). I'm going to try to not write a text wall. This will be a stream of consciousness because I'm at work (and I should be working...)

I'm a console gamer that went PC back in 2003 (I think? Whenever Age of mythology came out and while I still consider myself a console gamer I will advocate PC all day everyday. However I think it depends on the extra usage that you will get out of either box. My PC is my media center/gaming rig and I consume a large amount of digital media (mostly music but still) so for me PC is the best fit and cheaper than dealing with a console where I have less control over the UI. I'm not a SLI/Crossfire nut so for me PC gaming is cheaper overall than console gaming as I upgraded slowly over the years after the initial build (which I only splashed out on because I'd gotten my first credit card and I was 18 at the time...yeah...so I might have thrown the kitchen sink at it) but I've kept the majority of the same parts and anytime I do a overhaul I re-purpose the parts (most of the parts in my first build now make up my work only PC and I've tossed others into mame machines) so for me I keep a continual ROI that I don't get with Consoles. Also games look better on PC, I will admit I only have a ps4 base and a xbone base and I don't have a 4k TV, but I've always gotten better graphical performance on PC (I often double dip for games that I play online such as Street Fighter V...as free PC online for me and local play on console for buddies) than anything consoles put out.

Also as NES points out I'm a fan of graphical and performance mods. Oblivion got me into, but quite frankly any game that has a decent mod community is going to out perform a console game (bug fixes alone are the reason why I play TES games on PC) in looks and in performance as the mod community for many games are BIG on bug fixes and even restoring files/quests that went unused. I'm putting out a few fires at work so I'll hop back in later with a more detailed response.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, those Xbox freebies are definitely better than those PS Store ones, so if that would be a factor in the decision. And those freebies more or less consist of the age type that you mentioned, albeit slightly more than a half year in most cases...

(but hey, they're free, and they're a good justification for that yearly $40 for an Xbox Live Gold subscription)

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Similar to a question I asked in the PS4 thread, but do you know if on XBox if your sub lapses, do they let you keep your free games next time you renew or do they wipe you?

I don't know about the quality...right now I see ZombiU without the U is one of them But yeah, two streams of free games is better than one....the question if it works out better than Steam sales if it's games I like or not remains open but it's a big consideration. What games have you been seeing in the past few months (please let it be better than ZombiU ?)

Meh $60. I took a look at the US cards for PSN and XBL on your links....they're like $57 instead of $60.....so I'll have to eye those black friday specials instead still!

@Yorumi Oh that would be cool!

@Ryu_Niiyama Well, thanos and ralizah were perturbed I forgot to tag them at first, so you should be proud to be under the bus What kind of current hardware are you running after harvesting all that? I always used to run into the problem that to upgrade the GPU I needed to upgrade EVERYTHING anyway more times than not (and of course to upgrade the CPU usually you upgrade EVERYTHING.) My old box I threw the kitchen sink at but I'm certain it's getting a bit aged now at this point so it'll all go out the window.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yes, they do, and you can even play most of them offline, which is a considerably better proposition (and not just in my opinion) than Sony's.
EDIT:
As for those links:
https://www.g2a.com/xbox-live.html?___store=englishus - $45.70
https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-li... - $47.99
https://www.cheapxboxlivecodes.com/xbox-live-gold-subscriptio... - $49.95 (amount is in pounds, but converted, this is the dollar price)
https://cardscodes.com/index.html - $48.99

And no need to wait for Black Friday, or any other discount event, just keep an eye on this comparison site:
http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-xbox-live-gold-membership-...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia As for the games themselves, all you have to do is go to this page every two weeks:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold

It offers 2 free Xbox 360 games and 2 free Xbox One games per month, and the titles change every two weeks.

And to give you an idea of what I've been able to collect so far for the past 4,5 years, here's the entire list so far:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

And a lot of those later games now also come with an additional note that says "better with Xbox One X", to let you know that on the X, it will have better performance and/or graphics, in comparison with the standard Xbox One and Xbox One S.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Is all British web design that awful? Some of those sites are incomprehensible to me It does look like XBL can be had cheaper than PS+ on those sites....so that's a plus.

The X1 games list.....doesn't look so hot actually. (Starting with the afore mentioned ZombiU without the U. Zombies aren't my thing, but if they were I'd surely fire up the WiiU for the only version that mattered... ) The X360 list is excellent looking, but the X1 freebies, look kind of spotty (not comparing to PSN as I haven't really followed their freebies much either. This month's are excellent but I don't know what else they've had.) I actually would have thought MS would try to be more enticing being in the #2 spot (#3 now with Switch?) Looks like it was actually better up until Switch launched, and then the past 6+ months they just kind of phoned it in (coincidence?)

Still, PSN's could typically be much worse for all I know, I just may have caught a good month.

The X360 list seems top notch though (Even though I have a good chunk of them on disc already )

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia What's wrong with the Xbox One list? I personally find most games great, and I've downloaded them all. Then again: my taste in games is pretty varied/broad, so I'm perhaps not as selective as the next guy.

But seriously, even taking away the zombie games, there's Halo: Spartan Assault, Crimson Dragon, Strike Suit Zero, Worms Battlegrounds, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Thief, Killer Instinct Season 1 & 2 Ultra Edition, Styx: Master of Shadows, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Lords of the Fallen, Sunset Overdrive, The Crew, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, WWE 2K16, Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, Project CARS, Layers of Fear, Evolve: Ultimate Edition, Ryse: Son of Rome, Watch Dogs, Forza Motorsport 5, Trackmania Turbo, Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide and Back to the Future: The Game.

And those are just the big triple A games that I picked out of it, so there's at least that much (and probably more, since the grand total is now 78) of the so-called Xbox Arcade (Microsoft's equivalent of the eShop games) titles on there.

As for that Xbox 360 list: it's great that so many are compatible with the Xbox One, and they also perform better on the One. The difference in graphics is quite visible, though.

Regardless, many good games, indeed. And personally, I only see the free games as a bonus. For that $40 a year, I get the best online service that exists, because Microsoft's service is second to none, and I've no objections to paying a couple of bucks per month for that.

NEStalgia

Hey, I have varied tastes, I'll have you know!

Some of that list you posted is good, mostly the earlier stuff, like I said. More recently it's really become pretty meh it looks like. The past half year or so. (I.E. I won't be able to access that stuff so if the trend is meh, meh is all I'd get )

AC Chronicles was an odd 2.5D platformer in the AC universe. Weird kind of shovelware series. Sony did it too so I don't fault either company (and it's Konami's fault) but it's hard to count MGSV:GZ....the glorified $30 demo disc. Yes I own it on disc and played it....it was a wonderful 3 hour demo....and should have been a free demo. (My hate doesn't go to MS, it goes to Konami.) But yeah many of those are decent. But IIRC Warhammer is the only one from the past half year.

Technically I'm not a huge multiplayer gamer, so I'd be subscribing for the freebies and store sale access (or at least that's what I'm considering at the moment.) I have a few PSVR games I might give an online go with......but I don't see myself playing R6 Siege or Destiny 2 or Battlegrounds with a headset etc. The exception I may make with X1 would be Sea of Thieves which looks unique.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia You forgot to tag me again, seems to start becoming a recurring issue...

And I must either be WAY more forgiving, or I do indeed have a broader taste, because I don't see anything meh among those titles I mentioned. So, you don't like arcade racers, racing sims, fighters, detective games, dungeon crawlers and isometric, free-roaming brawlers? Man.... picky, picky...

A few interesting examples:
Crimson Dragon - if you like Panzer Dragoon, then this will probably also pique your interest
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - a weird as sh.. anime/comics style third person detective game, that kept me hooked longer than I though it would
Lords of the Fallen - very entertaining cross between dungeon crawler and a hack 'n slash
Ryse: Son of Rome - be a Roman, fight the Barbarians. And it looks so damn good...

And even though most others aren't platform-exclusive, think of that label: "Better On Xbox One"...

As for Sea of Thieves: looks like fun, but I still have issues with Rare 2.0. It just isn't the same anymore ever since their efforts started to dwindle under Microsoft's direction. The first few outings were still entertaining enough, but after that, only the odd title here and there was good, and they just lost something along the way.

Besides around 75% of their original team, that is...

PlywoodStick

@Yorumi Yeah, the caveat is that people actually need to seriously do their research before voting and pick people who actually represent their interests. Of which there are going to be a lot more choices in 2018. Even frickin' Chelsea Manning is running for Senate in MD! Former whistleblower of Collateral Murder, survived intense deep state-mandated punishment torture, lived to tell the tale and do something about it. I'm willing to vote for them to replace the ancient establishment tool Ben Cardin if possible...

But yeah, anyways, also need a lot more local community banks. The major private financial institutions need to stop being inevitably propped up with bailouts from taxpayer coffers while millions of people lose their homes every time the big guys like Lehmen Brothers, Freddie Mac, etc. screw up, like they did 10 years ago.

Edited on by PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick

ThanosReXXX

@PlywoodStick Curse of curses? Is that a PC thing?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@PlywoodStick Good point. Yeah, throw the curse in the list of cons for PC.

@ThanosReXXX You'd have to have read some of my old PC convos with Plywood. Suffice it to say that I have had such ridiculously, absurdly, disastrous luck with hardware failures in my PC gaming builds. All my PC gaming friends would build PCs out of midrange parts, and chug on forever, and harvest them as Ryu does. I'd build top of the line and parts would drop one by one within 2 weeks. And not normal failures but those insidious "freezes sometimes" kind of problems that you spend 20 hours a week troubleshooting for 4 months. The last 4 rigs went as follows:

rig 1: Ran fine for a few years (Athlon Thunderbird, Plywood!), Then the GPU went. Started overheating a lot. I rigged side fans, took the case cover off, put a small oscilating fan in the side.....ran a few more months. Then it failed. I RMA'd (lifetime warranty!) But the replacement was backordered. For several months. So I had to buy a new card anyway. Then I started getting filesystem corruption. Bad RAM. At this point, I just went for a new system...that was getting long in the tooth anyway.....and of course AGP was now AGP2 and newer cards didn't work in it.

rig 2: THIS time no memory problem, I went Opteron with registered ECC memory! HaHA! Got that silly problem! I went early adopter with SATA. Bad move. I had drive & driver issues for the first year or so. Always tinkering with it. Then it ran well. I did have it a few years and it was ok before it started randomly freezing often, pretty constantly. I did a lot of GPU gymnastics trying to figure out why. Dealt with video card tech support for months. I never did get to the bottom of it after a while and decided it was probably time to upgrade anyway. I suspected it was the motherboard by the end. Besides, AGP2 was now PCIe and current cards didn't work! Time for a whole new box!

rig 3: AMD entered their weak period and I was getting frustrated after the last two. So I went C2Q right when it came out. No ECC, but that didn't help me last time anyway. Nice clean, smooth box. Worked well. However after a few years it started randomly powering off! Even WORSE than the freezing problem. I'd be doing productivity work and the power would just cut out! I believe the power connector on the mobo was to blame. And PCIe is now PCIe2.0. Time for a new build!

rig4: Screw it, no more consumer grade gamer junk. I'm going all in with an enterprise build. Reference mobo, Xeon, ECC, I bailed on the Quadro and went with GeForce still due to extreme pricing and driver issues for gaming on Quadro. Day one setup is good. Day 2, it spontaneously reboots. And takes out the RAID. Time to reinstall everything! Fine for a few days, then spontaneous rebooting or hanging often. I'm led to believe the video card may be the issue after extensive hours and tests with someone who's engineering-level expert at such things I happened to know at the time. I'm told nVidia really wasn't having good batches on that series. ATI is the way to go for now due to driver issues. Ok....so I dump that and buy an ATI. Problems seem to be resolved....that was it. Then for varous reasons I was rarely using that box. One day I turn it on....POST error. Video card is dead! (How did the video card die while not even being used?) I'm told BOTH MFRs were producing chips in that era that were roughly guaranteed to fail. So I buy another radeon (this is $1200 in GPUs later now....). Some time later a Raptor drive fails from the RAID. Normal failure but I'm annoyed. Then I start getting spontaneous reboots. Usually just after boot on login but sometimes randomly in use. Then over time the spontaneous reboots become more frequent. Then total shutdowns a few times. Then one day mid-typing it just shuts off....and won't turn back on. PSU was dead. Replaced that. So the latest rig, the priciest of them all, went through 3 GPUs 2 PSUs and an extra HDD and wasn't even used much. That's the Haswell I'd be taking out of mothballs....still on GPU #3 (but needs a new one for DX12 support), and PSU#2.

As Plywood said, the curse of curses.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@PlywoodStick What amazes me is they say that there's just not enough houses to meet demand! When the LOWball median for houses is a quarter mil......how is anyone actually buying these!? Houses went from $50k avg to $250k avg in 40 years. While wages stayed the same. And they tell us there's so much growth!

I'm at the point I don't actually understand how it hasn't all collapsed already. Basic logic and observation tells me that it should have descended into chaos and tent camps a decade ago. The fact that the system is up and running at all seems remarkably illogical still.

Freddie/Fannie A.K.A. government is mostly responsible for all of the housing mess, including the obscene inflation in it. Once they removed the creditworthiness ratings for mortgages and assigned mandatory subprime loaning requirements, long ago, the spiral began, allowing the prices to go stratospheric, drive up supply, and then create the whole subprime resale industry. Everyone blames the banks, which are responsible for the subprime resale.....but they never wanted to loan subprime to begin with. They were made to. So when the bubble collapsed and government pointed fingers at banks it was a fun theatre. The people who told the banks to loan subprime were pointing fingers at the banks for having done so to save themselves, and worked out that if they take public money and give it to the banks to pay for the loss, they can use them as public beating posts. Dirty from start to finish. And then they just went right back to doing it the old way.

Meanwhile most people can't afford houses because they've already bought one for someone else via taxation, yet we're told there's just more home buyers than available homes so prices must rise! Huh?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Aw man, that's... yeah, "that sucks" doesn't even begin to describe that. I can fully understand your reservations now. If I had to go through all that, then the fourth rig would probably have flown right out of the window of my fourth floor apartment, straight into the Amsterdam canal...

So, the "curse of curses" is basically your version of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?

Worst things that ever happened to me are a burnt out power supply, and in the period going from Windows 98 to Windows XP, I had a lot of software issues after the transfer, and over a period of 3 - 4 years a truckload of "blue screens of death", and a dozen or so mandatory re-installs of XP, but that's about it.

Oh, and a problem with an Nvidia GeForce GT430 video card, which was placed fan downwards in my rig, because of the way the connectors on the motherboard were placed, which after a few years caused the fan to loosen, making more noise by the day. I greased it, clicked it back into place, tightened the mount screws and what not, but it kept coming back, sometimes sounding like a plane taking off.

But in the end, it more or less disappeared, probably because the continuously rotating fan had sort of worn off the material/axis that it was connected to sufficient enough for it not to make that dragging noise anymore, so the problem kinda solved itself.

Was a weird experience, though, especially in the beginning after the noise stopped. I kept opening up the case, just to see if the fan was still spinning, because I obviously didn't want to have a baked gfx card...

Anyway, I get it now, so I guess I'm just gonna end it with the magical sentence that I've already uttered twice in this thread, which I now believe more than ever:

"Seriously man, get that Xbox One X, you'll thank me later. "

And as an added bonus, we'd be able to game and/or chat. Would be a nice change from the old text-wall only conversations...

RancidVomit86

@Yorumi You had a lot harder time than I did with purchasing property. One bank made me mad by being near impossible so went to another the process was a breeze.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL yeah. Sort of like Snicket except with less injuries and a whole lot more obscenities thrown around.

Hardware/cost wise that was the worst, but that doesn't even cover the win95/98 era nightmares (and lesser hardware issues.) I skipped XP and stayed on Win2k longer (2k was fine, why bother ) The C2Q was Vista though...so...

Aren't all GPU fans placed downward? All the ones I've ever had after the early early era that just had a little square fan atop the single GPU chip all had the board mounted upside-down. that always seemed stupid given heat rises, but that's how they've always done it..... It's been some years, maybe they changed it? I had one case that the mobo mounted on the left rather than the right....it was wonderful.

You know I think the X sounds much better.....BUT I also think part of my interest in PC is to avenge my misfortune of the past as I get jealous of everybody having a blast with their PC games To prove it can be done right! (I get like that....and it always backfires. And then I do it again. )

You know I generally never do voice chat.....it never appealed to me for some reason. I did it once I think. It was ok....but I'm too old school PC. I used to sit on the battlefield and type text walls in game before voice chat existed.... and it stuck with me And then I kind of stopped online gaming. I credit that for my proficient, swift typing skill. "The hypothesis stated"...BLAMBLAM_WHRR_DODGE..."would carry more weight if..."

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, Win2k was of course not better for gaming, and as you might gather from my small series (compared to you) of misfortunes, I had enough software issues as is, but on the bright side, I could relatively easily get my old '98 games to work on my XP rig, so that was the ticket for me.

To this date, XP is still my favorite Windows version. I hate 10, and right now, believe it or not, I'm still on Vista, for other reasons, such as nagging security programs and compatibility issues with some sites and browsers, but if that wouldn't be the case, then I'd probably STILL be on XP...

Don't know about all fans being downward. My rig before the problem one was a horizontal one, so cards were placed differently, and after that, I got my first "standing" rig.

In my experience, forcing a thing never works. I can understand the sentiment, especially in your case, but wanting to avenge the past... mjeh... not for me. I'm more of a look to the front kind of guy. Looking back is standing still.

As for voice chat: the only thing I hated was all the anonymous chatter of kids swearing and what not, and being addressed by total strangers, but nowadays, I'm only connected to friends and familiars, and I've closed off all other voice chat instances, so even if I'm playing online by myself, I'm never bothered anymore.

I just find that sometimes, even if you're not in the same game, it comes in handy if you want to have a quick word, or if you simply don't have the time to visit your friends physically. And it's a lot cheaper than calling them...

And needless to say, although by now we're actually quite in tune with our conversations, I still hate that I'm sometimes mis-interpreted because of only having text to convey your thoughts and ideas with.

A real talk can be so much clearer in an instant, no texting back and forth and having to use smileys to make sure people won't get offended by something you typed and so on...

Oh, well. In the end, you are the one who has to decide. Hope you're not going to regret it, whatever your choice is going to be. And I think you've already had your fair share of trouble, so here's to no more of that happening anymore either.

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.