Forums

Topic: Not enough credit to Nintendo in 2019...

Posts 1 to 20 of 32

BlackKnight93

This is something that bothered me for quite a while. I'm feeling that people are not giving enough recognition to Nintendo lately, and this despite being arguably the best publisher of the whole 2019 objectively speaking (maybe tied with Capcom).

Before explaining myself, let's think about the big titles they published this year on Switch, indipendently by the fact they were made by them or second parties: Super Mario Maker 2, Cadence of Hyrule, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, Zelda Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3. All of these titles were amazing, got critics AND user's approvals, sold really well and really upscaled the already good enough level of Switch's library. There were also a few lesser games like Yoshi's Crafted World, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Daemon X Machina which not everyone liked and definitely weren't at the levels of the ones mentioned before, but were still quite good. And I can't forget how well they did at E3, the surprise announcements of Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Ultimate and the sequel of Breath of the Wild added even more to the greatness of 2019. And while the Switch Online service still has a... erm, large margin of improvement, the adding of the Snes games was a big improvment to it. They did a few missteps this year like Mario Kart Tour AKA Microtransactions: The Game, and the total mess that was the newest Pokemon game (althought it was Game Freaks' fault, not Nintendo's) but overall the good DEFINITELY outweights the bad, and Nintendo still had an objectively great year.

However, it seems like everything they did this year wasn't enough. Because I haven't seen one, and I say ONE person who praised their good job this year. All I hear is people praysing Sony for Death Stranding (Which is kind of ironic since it's a quite divisive niche game) while for Nintendo seems to be a contest of who insults them with the most creative way, neither if we were in a Monkey Island game.

Nintendo had a great year in 2019, but nobody seems to give them enough credits for that, no matter how good their games were and how well they sold... This is just depressing...

Am I the only who feels this way? Do you think Nintendo had a great year? Or do you think I'm overrating it too much and I'm the one in the wrong here? I don't even know myself...

Edited on by BlackKnight93

BlackKnight93

sixrings

It was the fastest selling system of 2019. People voted with their money. What do you really want or expect?

Btw I think you're over rating it. I need a new Zelda or a new Mario for me to consider it a exceptional year.

sixrings

Trajan

I don't think anyone is saying Nintendo didn't have a good year. It just the stuff that came out this year is no match for BOTW/Splatoon 2/Odyssey/XC2/Smash, etc.

Death Stranding is a really fantastic game btw. My first and probably only platinum.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

BlackKnight93

@sixrings

I expect people to show them respect, not insulting them like if they were the incarnation of evil. Also weren't Link's Awakening and Super Mario Maker 2 good enough for you? Also the sequel of Breath of the Wild is in development. Just don't expect it to rush it unless you want a bad Zelda game. The announcement was still great enough.

BlackKnight93

BlackKnight93

@Trajan While I do agree that it wasn't as strong as 2017, 2019 was still a great year nonethless. The games might have not been great as the ones you listed, but just barely, and they were still great games. Besides, the games not being as good as Odyssey or BOTW is not a good justification for the crap Nintendo is getting, because they still had an objectively great year.

BlackKnight93

Trajan

@BlackKnight93 who is insulting them or not showing them respect? Its just a video game company. Either you like the games or you don't.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

1UP_MARIO

They had a great year. Just enjoy the games you like and don’t get depressed or upset. Happy gaming

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

BlackKnight93

@Trajan I've seen a lot of people talking the crap out of them online. Even people that are supposed to be Nintendo fans, like Arlo and Rabbidluigi. I haven't heard anyone giving them respect, even despite the fact they were the best publishers of the year objectively speaking (tied with Capcom).

If you want a comparison (now I don't like to do this as I HATE console wars, but it's only to give you an idea of why I think Nintendo is the one who did best), since you seems to be a Sony, do you want to deny the fact that the only games published by sony this year other than Death Stranding were a couple of just alright games and a mediocre remake? Do you really think Death Stranding alone is enough to overshadow everything good that came out on Switch this year? And do you think Death Stranding would be a good "excuse" to insult Nintendo? To me seems more like an instrumentalization of a game to hurt other people...

BlackKnight93

sixrings

Please there are plenty of Nintendo fanboys which mock the other companies. If you don't like console wars then enjoy your console and don't let others control your feelings by if they like the same thing or not. You like it. That's all that should matter to you.

sixrings

Trajan

@BlackKnight93 I'm not 12, so no I don't take part in fanboy wars. Idk who those people are you're talking about, but who cares what 2 people say?

I'm not a "Sony" person. I didn't even own a Sony console until less than a year ago, unless you consider my Vaio 15 years ago.

Death Stranding was my GOTY last year. Granted the only 2019 games I even played were Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Daemon ex Machina, COD: MW, and Death Stranding.

sixrings

@BlackKnight93 whoa whoa whoa. I love Arlo. Arlo is a Nintendo fan. But he's my type of fan. Not someone whom blindly loves anything Nintendo throws at him. There was plenty of games he loved this year. No one should have to love everything to be considered a fan. And not loving something doesn't mean you're a low key Sony/xb fanboy or a troll.

sixrings

BlackKnight93

@Trajan Understood. I want to point thought: people who do console wars are not necessarely kids. I've seen people who are over 30 who do console wars, and that really freaks me out...

BlackKnight93

sixrings

@BlackKnight93 how exactly do you do console wars. If you're talking about people review bombing or going online trash talking people that is one thing. But you're suggesting that people like Arlo who are simply stating the things they don't like as partaking in this so called console war.

sixrings

Maaryotyme

They sold a lot of consoles this year. I don’t seem to understand what you want. What respect do you want for them. They were successful and made good games and bad games. We as fans don’t need to bow down and worship then. Just enjoy your games.

Maaryotyme

BlackKnight93

@sixrings Arlo wasn't really kind on 2019 by looking at its video to be honest. Some of his points were good like the ones I mentioned myself, but honestly he went too hard on things that frankly didn't deserve it.

And besides, Arlo isn't one of the examples of "overgrown men who do console war" I'm talking about other people on that category. Arlo just disappointed me in that video, and so did Rabbidluigi with some of his Twitter statements. That's it.

BlackKnight93

BlackKnight93

@La-weejee I want people stop spreading unfair hate for the wrong reason over Nintendo. And I want people to stop insulting me for liking their games.

BlackKnight93

sixrings

@BlackKnight93 stop begging. What is reasonable praise or complaints is subjective. You may find it unfair. Others might find it perfectly fair. No one person decides what is reasonable or not.

sixrings

Maaryotyme

@BlackKnight93 you basically want people to not criticise nintendo and to not share their opinion. Everything said about Nintendo has to be good. It’s the internet my friend. It’s a public forum.

Don’t get upset by it all. It’s video games. If it makes you happy. Nintendo had a great year 😉

Edited on by Maaryotyme

Maaryotyme

Maxz

No-one is “supposed to like Nintendo”. It’s not a duty or an obligation. People just happen to like Nintendo because Nintendo happens to make a lot of games that people like.

Personally I didn’t buy too many major releases this year, although did get a few co-op games from the eShop that I’ve been enjoying with friends. I don’t mind too much, as I’ve definitely got a bit of a backlog I’d like to work through, including some 3DS games. I hoping 2020 brings a few titles that make me want to forget my backlog though, and sink myself into them. I’m really glad they delayed Animal Crossing, because I’m prepared to sink a lifetime into that and I want it to be perfect.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@BlackKnight93
Gaming supposed to be fun.
If you don't have any bigger releases caught your attention right now, i suggest you to consider other games that you might have new interest about.
I played both Nintendo and Sony machines, but on year 2020 i take a break for a while for waiting the upcoming Switch games and try to focus on my Retro gaming (PS3 & PSP) since i have never have those machines and i found some fun games from those machines despite they are already more than 10 years old.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic