Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,361 to 6,380 of 6,550

Sunsy

League of Superpets on Netflix last night as it's leaving at the end of the month. Not into superheroes, but wanted to watch this one mostly because I remember Krypto from the old Cartoon Network cartoon. Honestly, ended up being better than I expected. Underrated animated movie, I don't see much talk about this one.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

bighirofix

@Sunsy
I couldn't even finish that one. 🤣
But hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

All-Around Movie Enthusiast

jump

@Rambler I raise your The Colour Purple with The Human Centipede The Musical.

@RR529 No Hard Feeling was more enjoyable than I thought it would be, still a rubbish film though. I think what makes the film works for me is the scene where Jennifer Lawrence is in the nude and getting into fist fights, rather than cheap laughs or hiding her bits they treat it like John Wick and just goes for it. Oddly it’s not the only sex comedy comeback this year. I saw Bottoms which is about teen high school lesbians that start a fight club so they can pull cheerleaders.

The Scarjo Ghost In The Shell is so odd, it’s like when Metallica tries to covers Anti Nowhere League or The Misfits, yeah technically it’s far better sounding when they do it but they have just missed the point.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bighirofix

@jump
Hollywood is great at missing the point when it comes to adapting anime into live action.

Rambler

@jump
Oh there's loads like that, but they're aimed at a more midnight movie-type audience.

Stuff like The Color Purple, Oliver!, Miss Saigon, Les Miserables (Les Mis, FFS) are based on plots with incredible amounts of cruelty and abuse, and are considered a great night out. I just find it really odd. But then there was that trend for books about people's horrendous childhoods.

Maybe next we could have Come & See: The Musical; Irreversible!; Lilja & her amazing grey walls and filthy mattress

Rambler

RR529

@jump, it actually wasn't the Hollywood GitS, but an anime one (that I think actually released around the same time, IIRC) that capped off the Arise OVA continuity.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jedgamesguy

Surprised but also kinda not surprised that Oppenheimer got a staggering thirteen Oscar nominations, it's definitely the shoe-in for Best Picture... Nolan really deserves this one after being snubbed by the Academy for years.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

jump

@RR529 oh yeah, I remember watching that movie and groaning about having New in title as it will date itself so quickly. I’m not one of those people who insist if Mamoru Oshii hasn’t worked on Ghost In The Shell it’s pants but they have really watered down some the shows and movies since the first movie.

@jedgamesguy I’ve always found Nolan to be a great but flawed director, whilst Oppenheimer still has some of those flaws he’s improved massively on one of his weak spots as I was actually able to buy into the romance and emotions for once. Normally it’s like coding from his robotic brain trying to simulating love but the love triangle with Emily Blunt, Cillian Murphy and Florence Pugh actually worked this time.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jedgamesguy

@jump Totally agree with Nolan's flaws, he takes a very emotionally vacant approach to filmmaking and doesn't get the absolute emotional best out of his actors. I realise his most emotionally engaging films: Interstellar, the Dark Knight, Memento, were all co-written with his brother Jonathan, who acknowledged he and Chris have very complementary (opposite) mindsets and traits. Feels like he's the missing piece at times.

Nolan feels very robotic in that he comes across devoid of human impulse. Like on film sets he bans phones and chairs, according to RDJ he uses the bathroom twice a day at the same times, and he has scenes written in his script exactly the way they're presented in the movie (Oppenheimer's intercut narrative was written that way). He's planning in almost the wrong way. But he brings the best out of actors, his crew, his musicians and film itself, so it's worked more often than not lol.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

bighirofix

@jump @jedgamesguy
I agree with you guys on Nolan as well. To be honest, while I still like most of his movies, there's few of them I love and the lack of emotional weight is the most important reason why. His incessant need to tell everything out of order is another one for me. He tends to overcomplicate his stories when its not needed, including in Oppenheimer, and I'm not a fan of such narrative styles.

Edited on by bighirofix

card-crunch78

Just a quick reminder that I’m planning to get The Marvels, Wish and Wonka on Blu-Ray this year. (Holds up fire shield for protection)

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

jedgamesguy

bighirofix wrote:

@jump @jedgamesguy
I agree with you guys on Nolan as well. To be honest, while I still like most of his movies, there's few of them I love and the lack of emotional weight is the most important reason why. His incessant need to tell everything out of order is another one for me. He tends to overcomplicate his stories when its not needed, including in Oppenheimer, and I'm not a fan of such narrative styles.

I watched a video where the guy arranged all of Oppenheimer's scenes in chronological order, and when you tell it straight, it's far too predictable and boring to be an engaging narrative from start to finish. The way the movie's edited, characters presented in the black-and-white scenes (like Strauss) are present throughout the entire movie and we're given time to learn about them as the film unfolds.

It's definitely at its worst in Tenet. The whole premise of the movie is the reversal of time yet the film does a terrible job at giving us a cohesive sense of time to appreciate the gimmick. If you want a Nolan film that doesn't mess with out of order scenes though... The Dark Knight is his most pure work. Inception has it but it's much easier to understand though.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

Sunsy

@bighirofix Indeed, though I wish they give these movies more time to be on the service. I mean, they added Superpets last month, feels like yesterday I found it under new.

Though, I do still buy Blu-Ray and DVDs of movies I like, so I don't get too worried as I don't rely on streaming exclusively. Latest pickup being Trolls Band Together (man, this came to Blu-Ray really fast, feels like yesterday I was in the theater watching it).

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

bighirofix

@jedgamesguy
I love Inception and The Dark Knight. Those are his two best, imo.

@Sunsy
I agree, movies are released way too fast on Blu-ray and digital services these days.
People skip the theater experience because they know it'll be available to them at home in no time at all.
That's what I like about the European and Japanese strategies. It can take up to a year before their movies are released on home video.

Sunsy

@bighirofix Yeah, I was expecting for Trolls Band Together to be released to Blu-Ray/DVD in a few months, maybe March or April. I saw the movie multiple times between November and December at my local theater.

I still like the theater experience. I think last year was the most I've been to the theater to see a movie. I usually go with my friend, though I did go to the theater for the first time alone last year. Just something neat about seeing my most anticipated movie early, being in a packed theater, and hearing the applause at the end. I was basically in a room filled with Trolls fans. I don't think I'll ever get a theater experience like that again. Happy that was my first solo movie trip.

Didn't know that about movies in Europe and Japan.

Edited on by Sunsy

MsJubilee

I just saw the trailer for Monkey Man by Dev Patel. Let me say that the trailer didn't need to go that hard. I can't wait to see it in theaters.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Rambler

jedgamesguy wrote:

bighirofix wrote:

@jump @jedgamesguy

I watched a video where the guy arranged all of Oppenheimer's scenes in chronological order, and when you tell it straight, it's far too predictable and boring to be an engaging narrative from start to finish. The way the movie's edited, characters presented in the black-and-white scenes (like Strauss) are present throughout the entire movie and we're given time to learn about them as the film unfolds.

It's definitely at its worst in Tenet. The whole premise of the movie is the reversal of time yet the film does a terrible job at giving us a cohesive sense of time to appreciate the gimmick. If you want a Nolan film that doesn't mess with out of order scenes though... The Dark Knight is his most pure work. Inception has it but it's much easier to understand though.

A story should have a beginning, middle, and end, but not nec...

Rambler

jedgamesguy

@Rambler That's the thing with Nolan's films, they often have multiple endings, or challenge the idea of a traditionally structured ending. Dark Knight does this when the Joker gets captured both times, then actually ends when Two-Face is finally killed.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

card-crunch78

In two weeks, I'm gonna go see "Turning Red" at my theater.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic