Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,901 to 1,920 of 6,575

FroZtedFlake

Yeah I'm real hyped for Dune, hopefully it's as good a I'm expecting and can get a good sequel to finish up the book's story.

Also, just saw Shang-Chi though and I actually liked it more than I thought it would, good combat scenes and an alright story, there were a couple moments that seemed either a little cheesy or unlikely but overall I really liked it.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

WoomyNNYes

Watched & liked:
Oz the Great and Powerful (second or third time watching on tv)
Time Trap - if you're looking for a new science fiction movie, this scratched the itch for me. It's on Netflix. It's has some rough b-movie edges, but it still had some cool ideas. And visually, it's well made.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Losermagnet

I recently rewatched The Little Shop of Horrors from '86 and fell in love with it all over again. The songs, the comedy, the puppetry - brilliant. In fact I enjoyed it so much I changed my profile pick. Goodbye Godzilla, hello Audrey II

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Pizzamorg

I've been working my way through a bunch of horror movies from the last decade or so I otherwise missed the first time around as a build up for Halloween. A lot of it hasn't been good, but if you haven't seen them, I recommend Caveat, Slaxx and I Am Not a Serial Killer.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jedgamesguy

Where I am Dune releases tomorrow. So I'm looking forward to a good time!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

CFarris419

I watched Candyman on Sunday. I didn't realize until I purchased my tickets that this was a follow-up to a movie made in the 90s. Regardless, the plot wasn't confusing or anything. I'm a fan of Jordan Peele's horror movies as they're never quite what they seem to be on the surface.

CFarris419

Losermagnet

I've been slacking on this thread. When i talk about movies I try to be succinct and not give too much information. So if it seems like i'm being vague it's deliberate. I just hope to peak your interest.

Faust (1926 - directed by F.W. Murnau)

Faust is a German silent film about a demon and an angel making a bet that the alchemist Faust can be corrupted by the devil and, if so, the demon will win control of the Earth.

Untitled

My favorite black & white and/or silent films feel believably otherworldly, and Faust accomplishes this fantastically. It's almost 100 years old and yet it feels even older than that. It's positively mythical.

Untitled

The costuming, the sets, the special effects make this a very entertaining silent film. The actors are still overacting and there's a bit in the middle that kind of becomes a romantic comedy, which causes the pacing to slow painfully, but if you have any tolerance for silent films Faust gets a recommendation for me.

Content Warning - several depictions of death or murder, and there are a couple instances of nudity.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Losermagnet

@WoomyNNYes i bought the Kino Lorber blu ray US release. At the time it was around $20, but it looks like it's changed to $35 and it will ship when available (i wouldnt pay that). Streaming via amazon isnt available. I just checked and it is on YouTube (not sure what the quality is there). The movie is public domain (at least in the US) so there may be other sources available.

WoomyNNYes

@Losermagnet I meant Faust. Are you talking about Faust?

I saw it's on YouTube. Yeah, so that's an option. (edit: Found a high quality version on youtube. I'll watch it there. Thanks! Looks interesting.😉)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Losermagnet

@WoomyNNYes yeah, sorry Kino Lorber released the Faust blu ray in the US and thats what i watched. Sorry if that caused confusion.

Losermagnet

@WoomyNNYes i buy waaaay too many movies lol. Lately i've done more streaming, but usually i just pick what i think looks cool.

mjharper

Has anyone here seen the new Bond movie? What do you think? I want to see it, but the people I've talked to have had mixed opinions on it.

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

Pizzamorg

I'm still slogging through my horror fest for this year - since I last posted in here, I think I have watched probably about 14 films and most of them I'd honestly recommend skipping.

I did watch 'Last Shift' finally after meaning to for years and somehow just never getting around to it. I thought this was a masterclass in how you put together a horror movie on a budget and I thought that film was a genuine masterpiece.

I also do recommend 'The Clovehitch Killer' and 'Love and Monsters', both were pretty great first time watches. I also rewatched 'Attack the Block' and that film is even better than I remembered, a masterpiece in it's own right.

If you've seen all of those, I can recommend 'I am not a Serial Killer', 'Violation', 'The Limehouse Golem', 'A Classic Horror Story' and 'Afflicted', but none are all that great, certainly far worse than anything listed above but certainly better than some of the absolute dross I have watched over the last two months.

Losermagnet

Kwaidan (1965 - directed by Masaki Kobayashi)

A collection of 4 Japanese stories of the supernatural and spiritual, Kwaidan is a visually striking film. I've read director Kobayashi has a background in painting, and this is supported by the films excellent use of color and painted backdrops.

Untitled

The movie focuses less on scares and more on the ethereal. Humans interacting with spirits. It's languid and eerie. The downside is the runtime is about 3 hours and since there are 4 seperate stories watching it can be daunting. The tales are all entertaining in their own way but the third story, 'Hoichi the Earless', to me seemed the strongest.

Untitled

I bought the Criterion Collection release of Kwaidan, but it looks like it's also available to stream on Amazon for $2.99. Recommended 👍

Edited on by Losermagnet

OldManHermit

Been partaking in my traditional October horror movie marathon. Anything anyone can recommend? I'm partial to 80s horror, so anything obscure from that era you can suggest I'd be happy to hear it.

OldManHermit

Losermagnet

@OldManHermit Bare with me here because I'm not well-versed in 80s horror (black & white is more my preference) so these may not be obscure, but...

-The Thing: gory body horror.
-Return of the Living Dead: excellent zombie horror-comedy
-Little Shop of Horrors: more comedy than horror. But possibly the only musical with body dismemberment.

Pizzamorg

OldManHermit wrote:

Been partaking in my traditional October horror movie marathon. Anything anyone can recommend? I'm partial to 80s horror, so anything obscure from that era you can suggest I'd be happy to hear it.

89s horror is my jam.

My favourites from the 80s are probably Videodrome, Pumpkin Head, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Night of the Creeps and The Hitcher. If you've seen all of those, I can give you way more suggestions if you want them.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic