Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 6,556

Losermagnet

@jump hey i wanted to mention to you the other day how I'm pretty sure Twin Peaks is the greatest show ever made. You should really check it out sometime, even though the first season's slow, the later seasons are crap, but the first half of the second season is pretty alright.

Seriously though - I hated Twin Peaks the first time I watched it. Then i found myself really liking it, and I can't explain why. Lynch in general is a director i'm 50/50 on. Some stuff I love (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive) and other stuff annoys me to no end (Wild at Heart, lost highway).

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@jump Thank you! Thats Just what I mean, It was a female director for the movie, Sounds like they wanted her to be an actual character this time around.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

jump

@Losermagnet Funnily enough I watched Twin Peaks after I had finished The Wire which has legit cause to be called the greatest show ever.

I stopped it somewhere towards the end of season 2. Going in I knew about the backwards midget so I was expecting a really trippy surreal show but found it to be more oddbeat with it’s bad (intentional?) acting and slower simpleness. It was a few years ago so I may have a different impression of it today but I’d say it is a worse version of Desperate Housewives ;p

@Snatcher next Marvel can fix up their other female characters by making then smile more like the men too ;p

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Snatcher

You are a one of a kind @jump

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

jump

@YusseiWarrior3000 I’m hoping with all the hoopla around Zach Snyder‘s Justice League cut getting a release the true vision from the director of the Sonic movie is restored in a all its glory!

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

@Sdelintwouters I found Nomadland to be good buts it wasn’t really a movie though, just a film of stuff going on rather than a tightly plotted flick. I found it bizarre it won best pic at the Oscars when there were far more deserving films.

Nicolai wrote:

Snatcher

@Sdelintwouters I'm still waiting for it to come on D+ I can't wait.

Snatcher

Pizzamorg

I thought Black Widow was bad. And I think more likely the ScarJo contract drama will have more legacy than that movie ever will. Without David Harbour and Florence Pugh chewing the scenery with their horrendous accents, I could imagine how overwhelmingly flat this movie would have been.

Just as an aside, does anyone else find it odd how inconsistent the CG is in MCU movies? Like the behind the scenes will reveal that like 90 percent of any frame is probably CG, if not from the ground up then at least digitally tweaked. Even like costumes, hair, entire locations and props and somehow you don't notice. Or I certainly don't. But then they'll have like someone leap into the air or something done via CG and it just looks like dogshit. Like how can these two extremes or CG exist in one space? Weird.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Losermagnet

@jump the term subversive gets thrown around a bit, but Twin Peaks is genuinely subvervise. It's a soap opera that, at some point, becomes a supernatural crime thriller (although the term "thriller" isnt really accurate, i cant really think of what else to call it).

It's definitely a lumpy show. The quality of the seasons varies drastically and the acting is really uneven. Kyle Maclachlan as Agent Cooper is fantastic, and there are other veteran actors giving good performances too. The teen characters are insufferable and naive, although i think that's by design. They're all these sort of doe-eyed clichés that become warped. "Oh that innocent highschool girl? Yeah she's actually a prostitute you can order through a magazine". Laura Palmer is actually a really wonderful and tragic character. Mostly because (supernatural stuff aside) I imagine there are people just like her. Victims of circumstances outside their control, doomed by nature and nurture. Maybe thats why the show started to appeal to me - through all of its quirky nonsense I had moments where I actually cared.

jump

@Losermagnet I watched it years ago so the details are kinda fuzzy to me now but your description of it as subversive soap opera is probably why I remember calling it Desperate Housewives at the time.

I went into it with the wrong expectations as I was looking for a balls trippy show where they walk down the street past dozens of backwards midgets, the woods have owls that sing smooth jazz and it turned out the entire show was a dream of panda in a South Korean zoo from the year 2043. I can put my finger on why I didn't like though even if it wasn't a show I thought it was gonna be and that's because of the oddbeat acting, I just didn't have the patience for it and I couldn't find enough in the mystery, tone and other aspects of the show to care. I only stuck with it for as long as I did because of the show being held in such high regard but with how much tv has changed since the 90s I'm not sure it would have made a name for itself today.

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, the trailer for the new Matrix is out now. I'm in two minds about it as the other sequels were a mess and The Wachowskis have had so many rough but it could have been brilliant flops since The Matrix this is gonna be rubbish but then I think what if it isn't?

Nicolai wrote:

Zeldafan79

It took me several viewings of the original matrix to figure out what the hell was going on. First i thought Neo took some magic pill that gives him super speed so he can dodge bullets or something. I was like what the hell am i watching? It looked cool but i guess i wasn't really paying attention or it was just too deep for me to grasp. Kinda like an old star trek episode.

Once i saw it a few times i finally understood sorta and i do recall the movie being a pretty big deal when it came out. It also had this hook that made you somehow get invested. You wanted to see what happened next. As for the sequels yeah Reloaded was just okay. It had that cool fight scene with like a million agents and neo beating the crap outta them. The third one was a total convoluted mess and ended on a really bad note. I can't imagine how the new one is going to make me care again.

Is it supposed to be like a reboot or direct sequel or are they going to force awakens it? Oh and why does Neo look like John wick? I know that's Keanu's favorite look lately but shouldn't he look like Neo?

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Zeldafan79

@Sdelintwouters

I might see it at some point but nothing in that trailer made me go OMG i have to see this movie! Honestly it looked like alot of stuff we already saw before. Bullet time isn't nearly as exciting as it was in 1999. I predict a flop or at most a moderate success.

jump

@Sdelintwouters I reckon Suicide Squad was more down to making a comic book film R rated, the other one got big numbers from teens going to see. It's not like Deadpool which was made a lot cheaper than the $200m budget that is had. Plus it's covid times when less people are going to the cinema and films only get a couple of weeks from the backlog of 2020 and 2021 being shoved into a 6ish month window.

@Zeldafan79 Really? It's not that hard of a film to follow and they explain it enough times throughout the films to let the audience know what's going on.

Nicolai wrote:

Zeldafan79

@jump

Yep really. I straight up thought it was about a guy who takes a bullet speed pill. Then they started in with the space squids and Neos mouth hole sealing shut and that robo shrimp coming out of his belly button and I was like WTF?

Granted I was probably only seeing parts of it cause on my first viewing I was kinda distracted and nobody felt like rewinding the tape back to the parts I missed.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

Marioman2023

Random thought: What's Your ranking of the 8 Harry Potter Flims? Here's Mine:
1. Goblet of Fire
2. Chamber of Secrets
3. Deathly Hallows Part 2
4. Deathly Hallows Part 1
5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Prisoner of Askaban
8. Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone

Bisexual disaster
he/him

jump

@Marioman2020 Mine are;
Harry Potter & The Human Centipede Part 2
Harry Potter & The Requiem For A Dream
Harry Potter & I Spit On Your Grave
Harry Potter & The Human Centipede Part 1
Harry Potter & Gerald’s Game
Harry Potter & Rosemary’s Baby
Harry Potter & The Midsommar
Harry Potter & The Clockwork Orange

Nicolai wrote:

Pizzamorg

I think the best is Half-Blood Prince, followed by Chamber of Secrets. I feel the rest are pretty mediocre other than Deathly Hallows Part 1, Philosopher's Stone and Order of the Phoenix which are all terrible.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Losermagnet

@jump that’s the problem with it I guess, even if it’s an artistic choice that it’s slow and the acting is bad it doesn’t mean it’s enjoyable to watch

Magician

Dune 2021 on HBO Max October 22nd. The early preview impressions are as expected. Great production values, great cast, great worldbuilding. But it's only the first half of the novel and pacing begins to drag halfway through. But as a Dune fan I'm still very much looking forward to watching it.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic