Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 3,148

falkyn

tough subject since some devs consider beating their game - losing their game. But if you keep replaying not going pass a certain level then you're not losing their game, which might be the win.

falkyn

StarPoint

I just beat Ori and the Will of the Wisps today, actually. I thought it was good, although not nearly as good as The Blind Forest.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

JaxonH

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

I’d beat the game before- in fact this was my third time beating it. Once on Wii U. Once on Switch in Funky Mode, and this time on Switch in normal mode.

What a perfect game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mikmoomamimocki

@JaxonH I'm still trying to get past that stupid fish boss battle! It is a really fantastic game though. It's a 2D platformer but somehow it feels super different from Mario. Donkey Kong is really heavy and because of the way he controls, you really feel that weight.

I recently beat Metroid: Zero Mission and it's super good. It's pretty short but there's no fluff or boring parts. It's great. At the end when you have to use the Zero Suit, it's so satisfying to get the fully powered suit and completely demolish the space pirates.

@Tyranexx How do you mark spoilers on the NL forums?
EDIT: Thanks!

Edited on by Mikmoomamimocki

Mikmoomamimocki

JaxonH

@Mikmoomamimocki
I had more trouble with the owl I think. The fish I died once, but quickly figured out the pattern of suck in, suck out. And spinning into the little fish to knock them into the boss.

If you're struggling, just bring 3 barrels of Dixie with you. One will open right away, which is kind of a waste since it would have given you a barrel anyways, but it still leaves 2 extra barrels to use. Plus, you can use her special L+R if your gage is full to get some golden hearts from smaller fish. You'd have to get hit 8-10 times to lose in that scenario. Just play it once or twice without the barrels first to get the pattern down, then when you think you're ready, exit the level and try again with 3 barrels.

edit
And yes, the weighty mechanics are what makes it so good. The mid air jump if rolling off a ledge, too. That's trademark DKC. The time trials are also the funnest of any game I've ever played. I'm not a time trial person, normally, but DKC time trials are a blast getting gold medals on each stage. Watch the #1 world record ghost run for some later stages. They're insane.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tyranexx

@Mikmoomamimocki [ spoiler ] text here [ /spoiler ], only with no spaces in the tags.

Feel free to quote this part of my post for an example.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Anti-Matter

I have finished all the missions from The Sims Bustin' Out PS2.
Now i returned to Mom's house to avoid bills and working.
Stay at home and make money from selling gnomes.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

brendathecat

I beat Metro las light recently, was well worth the few quid it cost on sale . I was expecting an RPG in the vein of fallout so was surprised it plays like a story driven FPS. I also got really attached to the little dark one character….such a sad backstory for him.
Also beAt Darkwing Duck on NES….god that is a hard game!

Looking for animal crossing buddies on switch FC is SW-7803-7785-1593

Tyranexx

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Game 2 in the Layton prequel trilogy, game 5 overall, and the first in the series to transition to the 3DS. Level-5 made good use of the new platform overall for the puzzles, but I won't deny I found some of the 3D animated scenes jarring at times; I still much prefer the normal animated cutscenes, which this thankfully still had plenty of. The actual environments, however, look beautiful in 3D; I prefer the new navigation system used to traverse them.

Other than the move to 3D, this is mostly standard Layton: wonderful music, fun puzzles (though I found them a bit easier this time around), fun characters, interesting environments, and an intriguing plot. The story was certainly a step up from Last Specter/Spectre's Call, though I won't deny I saw the big reveal coming from a mile away. I quite enjoyed how the plot moved back and forth from the present to Layton's teenage years. The cliffhanger at the end with Descole and Bronev was interesting indeed; why is the former seeking out ruins, and why the heck does Targent want to take over the world?

Definitely another easy recommendation for fans of all things Layton, puzzle games, and Level-5!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Ralizah

Finished The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Solid 2D Zelda overall, although these games can feel a bit samey after a while. Literally just: "ALttP, but with [insert gimmick]."

Oracle of Ages: "ALttP, but with time manipulation."
Oracle of Seasons: "ALttP, but with the ability to manipulate the seasons."
The Minish Cap: "ALttP, but with size manipulation."
A Link Between Worlds: "ALttP, but you can turn into a painting."
Link's Awakening: "ALttP, but it sucks and there's an owl that won't stop harassing you with his slow-scrolling text and prompts to repeat his inane dialogue that you keep accidentally agreeing to."

The game actually does get a fair bit of mileage out of its gimmick, although this isn't always to the benefit of the game itself, as some of the size-related puzzles are annoying and slow the game down so much.

But, it's, you know, Zelda. It's fun enough. I cleared it in a week, and apparently logged in 24.5 hours, so I had to have enjoyed myself.

@Tyranexx Azran Legacy makes better use of the 3D capabilities of the system, IMO. The amount of visual depth in some of those environments is nuts.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

I cleared it in a week, and apparently logged in 24.5 hours, so I had to have enjoyed myself.

I hope you didn't bother with the figurines.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 lol That's actually one of the only parts I didn't bother completing. I collected about... oh... 50 of them?... and then said: "Screw it, life is too short." The gacha element to it might have tempted me if you didn't have to KEEP walking back and forth between the guy and the lever. WAY too many button clicks to grind those things.

Also, I discovered too late that any shells collected after number 999 are wasted, as that's the in-game cap, so I lost out on a lot of them anyway.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

StarPoint

I just finished Mario Galaxy for like my 7th or 8th time. Been kind of on a gaming lull lately, just been playing a lot of older classics, with a few newer titles here and there. Planning on playing through SMG2 again before Advance Wars ReBoot Camp and Kirby come out.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah yea, 2d zelda can feel a bit samey, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

I like to compare 2d zeldas to ACDC. If you like one of their songs, you pretty much like em all.

NintendoByNature

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

lol That's actually one of the only parts I didn't bother completing. I collected about... oh... 50 of them?... and then said: "Screw it, life is too short." The gacha element to it might have tempted me if you didn't have to KEEP walking back and forth between the guy and the lever. WAY too many button clicks to grind those things.

Also, I discovered too late that any shells collected after number 999 are wasted, as that's the in-game cap, so I lost out on a lot of them anyway.

Yeah the wasted shells made me hate it even more.

I've done it twice, I can confirm it is not worth it, even though I like the main reward for ultimately doing it. Not even for 100% as its easy to accidentally glitch your way out of being able to get every bottle! Great! (though I wanna say the glitch is only in the NA version)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tasuki

Finished Lake this evening. It's a nice short game kind of like Firewatch. Basically you play a woman who comes to a small town for a week to take a temp job at the post office. You delivery mail throughout the day but you can also interact with the various people on your route and after your shift as well. You can date one of the towns people if you choose to as well. After the week you have a big decision to make.

It's not an overly deep game, it's rather short, six to seven hours long but it's a nice pallet cleanser game. It does have replay value to a point as you choose different choices each time you play so there's that.

It's a charming game to be quiet honest and as I said it's a great pallet cleanser after playing a deeper game. I quite enjoyed my time with the game.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

@Ralizah Good to know! I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm a fan of the 3D effect (if it's used) in most of the 3DS titles I've played. Overall I liked how Level-5 used it in Miracle Mask, but you could tell they were just getting their feet wet. I don't have Azran Legacy yet but hope to pick it up digitally before long. I'd love buying a physical copy, but even used copies were ludicrously priced before the pandemic made 3/DS game prices skyrocket.

iLikeUrAttitude

I beat SMT V a few days ago my playthrough was 101 hours.
Amazing game - recommend it to anyone who likes RPGs.
One of the best games to come out this year along with Monster Hunter Rise.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Sisilly_G

Beat all stages as every character EXCEPT the final world in Super Mario 3D World, though to be fair, I did use extra Joy-Con to summon the remaining characters at the flag post just prior to grabbing it as it would have driven me absolutely mad if I had to beat each stage again an additional four times.

All that remains is Champion's Road and the final Mystery House tour, both of which I have yet to conquer, going as far back as the original Wii U release.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Fizza

Just beat Brilliant Diamond yesterday. What a fantastic game man. It has genuine faults, no doubt about it, but, in a similar vein to Mario Sunshine (another of my favourite games), it makes me love it even more.

Being able to use Pokemon I always dreamed of using like Torterra and Honchkrow along with ones I wouldn't even have considered prior like Floatzel and especially Glaceon. After seeing a certain streamer give their team members personalities, I decided to do the same. To simplify everything, cocky Floatzel, cold Glaceon (funny pun is funny), drunken (then sobered) Lickilicky, stealthy Toxicroak, vain Honchkrow and kind Torterra.

I also imposed an artificial difficulty where I would cap my main mons at 2 or so levels below the big fights ace. This wasn't the case for Cynthia since I was 6 levels under (pianos start playing) but that just made me winning with a last ditch Glaceon Blizzard all the sweeter. Understand every bit of hate this game gets but man. MAN. Loved it. Absolutely adored it even.

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic